IGNORED

Dillards 52: Making Life Look Complicated

Jellybean

1 hour ago, AlwaysExcited said:

You know, I start to believe that Derick might have believed that he was volunteering for show or something. 

And not just as an 'actor'. I'm pretty sure that quite a bit of the SCA footage (not to mention the birth footages) were filmed on mobiles by Derick'n'Jill themselves. So really, they were 'volunteer' camera-people, directors and producers too!

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't find it in time to add it to my previous post. At least for Jill's "bestie's" wedding Derick put in the effort to match her in style. The jeans from birthday night seem too casual for whatever she's headed to, even though he went with a dressier shoe. Nothing more to add really except that she really does look great in this outfit! 

Screenshot_20180310-025031.jpg

1 hour ago, Jinder Roles said:

Damn it, Jill. Why didn’t you wear these heels on your wedding day? (Not that they’d go with the dress but it’s better than barefoot)...That’s my BEC for today 

I need those heels in my life. The thing Jill really needs to do to amp up her look is drop about 170 pounds of immature manchild. 

3 hours ago, AlwaysExcited said:

You know, I start to believe that Derick might have believed that he was volunteering for show or something. I mean, people much better and brighter than him have been lured in cults, have gave up their worldly possessions, and have believed in obvious bullshit.
You could probably convince this kid that sun rises in west, if you tried hard enough. 

And make "Volunteer Reality Star" a post count title, please. Please? :pray:

I nominated it as a post count title yesterday!

Here’s the thread if you want to browse through, or add more suggestions:

Here's my (complete speculation) theory on what's happened.

Jimbob is mean as dirt and a complete control freak. So when they first got the shows - from 14KAC onwards - he always told the children that the family weren't being paid for it, that it was God's work and they were doing it to serve the Lord.

As the kids got older and went 'Hmmm...?' to that, Jimbob admitted that their expenses were covered. Just their out of pocket expenses though; there still weren't any actual fees.

When the children met future spouses they explained the show to them in those terms and the spouses shrugged and thought ok. And Derick was happy enough to get some extra money for the South America trip, assuming it came under the heading of 'expenses'.

So when Israel and then Sam arrived, Derick assumed he'd get some level of expenses for the cost of the process, since it was featured on the show. He went to TLC basically going 'So where's my expenses cheque?' and TLC said 'Um no, you've been paid for every episode you were ever on and we're not giving you extra'. And Derick goes 'HUH???!!!'

And now Derick is going 'Where is my money?'. And Jimbob, terrified that he'll have to loosen the purse strings and actually give all his children what they're owed, is playing dumb, shrugging and blackening Derick's name behind the scenes.

Derick is now the bad guy and everyone is down on Derrick. And Jimbob skips all the way to the bank.

Just my theory :my_rolleyes:

I don't think Jill has the critical thinking skills to actually consider how much her parents screwed her over. I even have a hard time believing she'd be torn between JB/Derwank at all. She knows she's supposed to submit to her husband first as per her training, so why would she think any different? Anna never considered leaving a cheating child molester, why would she consider action against a douchebag?

I don't doubt that she's unhappy, her try hard IG shows it, but I'm just not sure she understands all of the people who have failed her. 

I feel for Jill's and the boys just now, they are caught between Derick and her parents. If Derick has issues with TLC or Jim Bob and Michelle he is going about it wrong. Blasting everyone on social media is not going to make them listen to you, if anything he makes himself look bad and less believable. Derick is probably doing more damage to the brand than Josh just now. He is keeping sweet and not posting hate on social media. Not saying Derick is worse but from the Duggar perspective he is posing a bigger threat.

I'm not surprised the Bateses have unfollowed him, while they may have the same or similar beliefs has him they are probably sick of his annoying rants and the way he goes about preaching his views. Even in fundie circles he's probably considered an asshole. 

I think that Jill struggles. There has to be a visible rift between JB and DReck. She LOVES her Daddy, and probably still feels that she's under his "umbrella of protection" . (how it gags me to type that) She wants Dreck and JB to LOVE each other... I don't see that happening too much.

Just a thought...

Is it a possibility that maybe Derick and Jill both feel that, since she is/was JB's favorite, that she is entitled to more than her siblings?  When the answer was no, Derick lashed out?  Kind of like, "I'll show you!"

After all, just follow the rules and your life will be perfect, right?

Regardless, my heart goes out to Jill and the boys.

7 hours ago, CrazyMumma said:

I highly doubt that she would want a public fight for the whole world to see... that just gets embarrassing.

I'm not sure that the Duggars really understand the emotion of embarrassment. Their parents pretty much forbade any type of emotion-

12 hours ago, Beermeet said:

Oh, another thing.  Dericks surgery.  I went to a continuing education class recently and that surgery can be for severe sleep apnea.  If you have a narrow high arched palate your tongue doesn't have anywhere to lay properly while you sleep.  So, it goes back towards your throat, blocking air.  So, that could be a reason I didn't think about until that lecture.  I heart continuing education :D

Sleep apnea can damage the heart over time.  I wonder if this was his dad's problem and thus the reason he died of a heart attack so young.

Still - whoever did that surgery on Dreck should be sued for malpractice.  What an awful job!

I don’t know anything about orthodontics or maxillofacial surgery, but is it possible that Derick’s surgery would be considered a success from a medical, rather than cosmetic point of view? For example, if the aim was to protect his airway or allow him a more even bite?

I wish someone would just come out and say plainly how the money works. All we have is Dwrecks cryptic tweets and radio silence from the kidults and TLC which is leading to wild speculation. 

34 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

I think that Jill struggles. There has to be a visible rift between JB and DReck. She LOVES her Daddy, and probably still feels that she's under his "umbrella of protection" . (how it gags me to type that) She wants Dreck and JB to LOVE each other... I don't see that happening too much.

I do feel bad for Jill in this situation. She is such a people pleaser and I can imagine she wants to be a peacemaker. She’s just in a really poor situation. 

Building on what others have said, I think JB had an established payment agreement, likely a trust or some other kind of closely held structure, to receive monies from TLC or the production company for his family's "participation" in 19KC when Derick arrived on the scene.  JB is a wily fellow and a shrewd businessman.  It's very likely he consulted someone to ensure they were being paid in the most tax advantageous way with JB able to control the distribution of funds. 

For whatever reason, whether to curry favor with JB or because it seemed reasonable at the time it was explained, Derick agreed to it.   From his twitter comments, it seems that he suffers from "my recruiter lied to me" syndrome -- that is he feels like he was given partial or false information regarding how, when, or how much he and/or his wife would receive.  

From what little evidence we have, Ben and Jessa might also fall under this structure but Jeremy and therefore Jinger may have a separate agreement.  I wonder if that awkward conversation at the restaurant in Laredo where JB told Jeremy that Jinger likes shopping and asking if he could essentially afford a wife had anything to do with perhaps Jeremy being reticent to accept the JB/19KC compensation scheme.  

I wish Derrick would do an interview with a credible journalist, someone who would get honest answers about what's going on and has gone on behind the curtains of reality TV.  I wouldn't be surprised, though, if Derrick signed an NDA when he married into the dog and pony show.  So what we get instead are cryptic, passive aggressive tweets from a disgruntled weasel with a martyr complex.  Makes for interesting social media, but that's about it.

2 minutes ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

Building on what others have said, I think JB had an established payment agreement, likely a trust or some other kind of closely held structure, to receive monies from TLC or the production company for his family's "participation" in 19KC when Derick arrived on the scene.  JB is a wily fellow and a shrewd businessman.  It's very likely he consulted someone to ensure they were being paid in the most tax advantageous way with JB able to control the distribution of funds. 

For whatever reason, whether to curry favor with JB or because it seemed reasonable at the time it was explained, Derick agreed to it.   From his twitter comments, it seems that he suffers from "my recruiter lied to me" syndrome -- that is he feels like he was given partial or false information regarding how, when, or how much he and/or his wife would receive.  

From what little evidence we have, Ben and Jessa might also fall under this structure but Jeremy and therefore Jinger may have a separate agreement.  I wonder if that awkward conversation at the restaurant in Laredo where JB told Jeremy that Jinger likes shopping and asking if he could essentially afford a wife had anything to do with perhaps Jeremy being reticent to accept the JB/19KC compensation scheme.  

I agree.  Someone earlier or in another thread suggested that the reason Jeremy was kept under wraps longer than the other husbands was because he was working out a compensation scheme with Boob.  I thought that as well. He was the first suitor after Joshgate, so that gave him a little more negotiating power since he could create positive attention for the family.  He was also older and a more savvy negotiator to begin with.  

But Boob could still make things hard on Jeremy if he got out of line, so he's smart enough not to pull a Derick.

1 minute ago, Drala said:

SNIP

So what we get instead are cryptic, passive aggressive tweets from a disgruntled weasel with a martyr complex.  Makes for interesting social media, but that's about it.

That is a *fabulous* characterization of Derick! 

17 minutes ago, Drala said:

I wish Derrick would do an interview with a credible journalist, someone who would get honest answers about what's going on and has gone on behind the curtains of reality TV.  I wouldn't be surprised, though, if Derrick signed an NDA when he married into the dog and pony show.  So what we get instead are cryptic, passive aggressive tweets from a disgruntled weasel with a martyr complex.  Makes for interesting social media, but that's about it.

credible journalist? are you talking about the evil liberal media? derick would never!

Does anyone else think it would take a huge ego and a controlling type of person to be negotiating for money with your FIL as you're supposed to be falling in love? Smart, yes, but a bit scary too if Jeremy did that.

18 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Mmkay, I wrote a little parody of 'My Shot' from Hamilton for Derick, except it's called 'My Tweet'. I only did the first half of the song, though, because I'm bored but I'm not that bored.

Hide contents

MY TWEET

[DERICK]

I am not throwing away my tweet!

I am not throwing away my tweet!

Hey yo, I’m just like my mommy

I’m dumb, whiny and scummy

And I’m not throwing away my tweet!

I’m ‘a get a scholarship to Clown College

I prob’ly shouldn’t brag, but dag, I amaze and astonish

The problem is I got a lot of rage but no polish

I gotta holler just to be heard

With every word, I drop rubbish!

I’m a doucheturd in the rough, a dirty piece of coal

Tryin’ to reach my goal. My power of speech: incomprehensible

Only got two kids and that’s for quitters

These teenagers make me bitter, on Twitter

Ev’ry burden, ev’ry disadvantage

Why should I have to manage? Give me a gun to brandish

I’m a manly man, dammit

The plan is to fan this spark into a flame

But damn, it’s getting dark, so let me tweet out the name

I am the—

[ALL]

D-E-R-I-C-K, D

I-L—we all—on TV…

[DERICK]

Jill and I volunteered independently

Meanwhile, liberals keep shittin’ on us endlessly

Essentially, they harass us relentlessly

Then TLC turns around, runs a spending spree

Jim Bob ain’t ever gonna set his descendants free

So there will be a revolution in this century

Enter me!

[ALL]

(He says in parentheses)

[DERICK]

Don’t be shocked when Sean Hannity mentions me

I will star on your show and I’ll do it for free

So what if I have some kids who depend on me?

[DERICK]

And I am not throwing away

My tweet

I am not throwing away

My tweet

Hey yo, I’m just like my mommy

I’m dumb, whiny and scummy

And I’m not throwing away my tweet

[JILL]

I dream of life back on TLC

Birthing babies for the cameras is my ministry

Ministry? How d'you spell, how d'you spell... ‘ministry?’

Umm, so yeah, Derick’s kind of making me panicky

With his—

[ALL]

Tweet!

[BEN]

Yo, I’m Jim Bob’s apprentice

But I got these knuckleheads in loco parentis

I didn’t vote for Trump because I know it’s my chance

To socially advance, so as Derick Dillard rants,

No way am I gonna—

[ALL]

Tweet!

[AUSTIN]

But you’ll never be truly free

Until ya’ll in bondage own your own house like Joy and me

Joy and I. Do or die. Wait till you see me

On an ATV, with Miss Joy-Anna and our 10 pound baby

Oh shit, another—

[ALL]

Tweet!

[JEREMY]

Geniuses, lower your voices

You keep out of trouble and you double your choices

I’m with you, but you might wanna take a seat

You’ve got to be sure to keep sweet:

If not, you might make Derick tweet!

[DERICK]

Jeremy, don’t make another peep

My wife Jilly Muffin knows I ain’t no creep

I think Trump is sweet

I'm a straight MAN with my own helpmeet

And I’ll write a book that’ll make all the haters retreat...

What are the odds that GOD would let me suffer defeat

I’m takin’ a dump on Duggar tradition, Jim Bob can weep

I hate TLC, liberals, kids, everyone who disagrees with me

Give me a computer, I’m going on a tweeting spree!

Oh, am I tweeting too much?

Sometimes I get over excited, come off as an ass

I never had a group of friends before

You better not give me that sass

[AUSTIN]

Someone take his phone away, and do it fast

Haven't gotten to the end but I had to answer.

Dear singsingsing, what to say to you?

You have the skill
You have our full attention

When you came into the world, you wrote and it broke my heart

I’m dedicating every day to you
Dominant life was never quite my style
When you smile, you knock me out, I fall apart
And I thought I was so smart

37 minutes ago, artdecades said:

credible journalist? are you talking about the evil liberal media? derick would never!

Someone "fair and balanced" must be coming up the ranks at Fox entertainment news these days.  People Magazine has a host stringers.  Or does People qualify as the liberal media?  Considering how financially desperate Derrick appears to be, what's keeping him from selling the Dillard family story?  My guess is there's an NDA of some sort.  Also, I don't think he's unhinged enough (yet) to expose the inner workings of his father-in-law's "ministry" by going completely off the ranch.  

I’ve been doing research.  On the reddit thread someone pointed this out, and I think it bears mentioning here: Derick is playing REALLY hard and fast with words. He’s saying things that are TECHNICALLY true, but leave the wrong impression. 

When he speaks of “volunteering”, he is talking SPECIFICALLY about Izzy’s birth. Izzy’s birth was the last episode of 19 kids. So what does this mean? 

It could mean that Jill was already bound to a contract, and that technically only Derick volunteered (he blocks a user after they specifically ask if JILL was paid, which is the loudest response possible in the affirmative).

It could be that the “family contract” was still in effect and JB and M strong armed Jill and Derick into volunteering to film possibly in return for the McMansion and paying for the wedding.

BUT it’s also important to note that taken literally, Derick’s volunteer comments only apply to ONE SINGLE EPISODE. He specifically DOES NOT claim that they volunteered for Counting On, which would make sense as that would have been a new contract negotiation. 

Derick is TRYING to distort the truth by saying things that suggest one thing but literally mean another. Take him VERY LITERALLY and you will find his tweets have a different meaning.

Regarding Izzy’s birth, if TLC did things the standard way, they would have negotiated a payment deal up front for the right to film. “We’ll pay you X for the ability to film the birth”. Maybe this was with JB, maybe it wasn’t. But no where in this would it even be SUGGESTED that they would be responsible for non-filming related costs. They aren’t paying for the birth, they’re paying to film the birth. OF COURSE they denied the additional bill, it had nothing to do with them. 

@Georgiana Interesting. So I'm wondering if maybe the Dillards were "volunteering" for 19K&C in the sense that Jim Bob and Michelle were the ones getting paid by TLC (or the production company). That would include Izzy's birth episode. Obviously Counting On would be a different story, as it starred Jill and Jessa, not JB and Michelle. 

9 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Golden daughter Jilly Muffy flashing leg AND knee in heels?!?!?!?! Am I hallucinating?!?! Boy Derick really wants to piss JB off!!!!!

that is the second time JIlly has worn that outfit as someone said up thread she also wore it a few months ago in a wedding. she's pants wearing nose ring having knees showing now. no more blurred knees for JIlly 

Forget hurting the Duggar brand, Derick is hurting Jill. No matter how much you dislike JimBob, Jill loves her father and that won’t change. I am one of those I can talk shit about my family but you are starting a fight with me if you talk shit about my family. Jill likely doesn’t have the skills to know how to fight his raging against her family as she didn’t even seem to be able to articulate how she did not want to be in CA. 

Derick is making Jill look like a fool. Everyone wants him to write a tell-all book, which I have no doubt would be full of lies to make him look like Jesus, but it would no doubt deeply hurt Jill. How is that ok? You get to read your sleeze but Jill is hurt in the process? Jill isn’t going to turn against the Duggars but she is always going to be stuck between her family and the Derick’s ranting. Lots of people come from screwed up families but it doesn’t mean their spouse is necessarily in the right to rage against them and seemingly try to force a distance between someone and their family. 

I think it comes down two things. 1. Derick may enjoy the attention he gets when he rages on Twitter and then turns tail and deletes the posts when it gets too hot. It’s the Twitter version of Pistol Pete. 2. Derick is dissatisfied with his life and is at a point when it’s likely time to get an adult job, the idea of which he abhors. 

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived