IGNORED

Dillards 52: Making Life Look Complicated

Jellybean

Available soon! I can't wait to pre-order LOL.
5aa60749883ce_ASSUMPTIONSBEINGMADEFINALBOOK.thumb.jpg.d798efa793064a580c20757624b88e30.jpg

Besides Cathy's famous quote in the past tense, title is based off of Answer Them Nothing: Bringing down the Empire of Warren Jeffs.  I can ALSO see that being a potential title or 2nd book sequel, Answer Them Nothing: Derick Dillard.

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@mizandry Green Day will always hold a special place in my heart.  Not only are they the band that got me into music, but they were also my first concert (21st Century Breakdown tour, nonetheless).  American Idiot made such an impact on 11-year-old me and for that I will be forever grateful.  I was pleasantly surprised with Revolution Radio after ¡Uno!, ¡Dos!,  and ¡Tré! and I highly recommend you take a listen at some point.

8 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

I don’t think Jill, at least, has any concept of what age appropriate means. She grew up in a family integrated church world where everybody in the family had to do the exact same thing, whether the person in question was two or twenty. You’d think Cathy and Derick would have a bit more knowledge in this realm, which leads me to believe that their love of the Tuttle Twins’ horrid message overrides any concept of whether the intended audience will get anything out of the story. 

I am sure they all love the “message.”  They probably see the books as representing a  world view they support and want the kids to share.  

Though I agree it is a disgusting world view, I doubt that either Cathy or Jill think that the kid understands most of the stuff in the book. (Derick, on the other hand, I am not so sure.)   Probably the main reason they don’t think of “age appropriateness” is that they regard the books as something he may not fully understand now, but which he will learn from as he gets older.  

It is true that Jill comes from a world where “age appropriateness” is not often a concept, but “readiness” (or lack of readiness) cannot be unfamiliar to anyone who has seen as many babies grow to school-age as she has. So I think she knows he is not “ready” for the full message of the books but can enjoy them on a baby level.

That being said, I would like to suggest that if a child has to be exposed to this trash, it would be better if he were only exposed to it before he can understand anything beyond “There is a boy,” or “Look a Circus,” or “Wow, what a lot of food.”  

So maybe he is at the most appropriate age after all!   :irony:

(Too bad we can’t take the books away before he turns 4)

SOTDRT taught the same lesson to all ages.. Remember Michelle teaching bankruptcy?

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived