IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 6: Now Officially Engaged!

laPapessaGiovanna

1 hour ago, kachuu said:

We know at least Laura & Almanzo slept in separate beds so that couldn't have helped...

What why? I thought that was only something they showed on I love Lucy. 

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, KelseyAnn said:

What why? I thought that was only something they showed on I love Lucy. 

Really? No, it's a pretty common thing, has been for centuries. Lots of people sleep in separate beds.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Really? No, it's a pretty common thing, has been for centuries. Lots of people sleep in separate beds.

From what I've seen, it was much more common in the upper class homes. Poor people couldn't afford two separate beds and rooms for the couple of the home. But yes, it was common in upper class homes.

I think Laura's daughter heavily edited all of Laura's writings before they were put in book form. They recently came out with Pioneer Girl (https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Girl-Laura-Ingalls-Wilder/dp/0984504176) of Laura's first round of notes ( i believe)

I have it, i just haven't delved into yet. Rose was the known writer that helped secure Laura's publishing. I always thought that was interesting

"Heavily edited"... Some say ghost wrote except for the last two books (they had a falling out)-- which may account for some break in style in those.

I find this theory incredibly fascinating, especially because of hints of a somewhat strained relationship between Laura and Rose.

Edited to add... Annnnnddd I missed the posts saying similar things above. Sorry! I just get so excited about LIW.

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'm wondering if there, also, was some sort of issue with fertility among the Ingalls girls. Laura is the only one who had biological children, and only Rose lived to adulthood; she had no children. Neither Laura's son nor Caroline's son survived infancy - a genetic thing, maybe?

It's always puzzled me, especially in their era - when "lots of children" were the norm, rather than the exception.

Just thinking out loud... er... thinking on forum...

Rose did have a son he was still born. something does seem off. 

2 hours ago, viii said:

I was obsessed with the Rose series when I was a teenager and I always wanted her to marry Paul (I think his name was)

I loved all those series the Martha charlotte and Caroline years though from what I read the Martha years are so wrong.  there is almost no way that Martha was a Laird's daughter. or even from Scotland. interesting story though. 

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Why? Sleeping in separate beds says nothing about your sex life. Some people have more sex when they sleep in separate beds, because they're better rested and less pissed off at their partner for stealing the covers or snoring or whatnot. ;) 

Potential TMI warning here.

My fiancé and I sleep in separate rooms.  We also have sex at least once a day, on average. 

If I ever get married or get into a relationship, I almost think I’d want separate rooms. I know it’s not common here and I’d receive a lot of flack for it, but I have such hangups about my sleeping habits. 

We don’t have a spare room, but my husband snores...he reckons I do as well, but I deny that.  (Except if I’ve got a sore throat when I acknowledge that I snore like a chainsaw.) So we build a pillow wall between us to muffle the noise somewhat.  I can see me moving into our daughter’s room on bad nights once she moves out.  

6 minutes ago, viii said:

If I ever get married or get into a relationship, I almost think I’d want separate rooms. I know it’s not common here and I’d receive a lot of flack for it, but I have such hangups about my sleeping habits. 

I think everyone should have their own bedroom whenever it's feasible.  Makes for happier lives all around.  Accept no flack!

I don’t think it’s anything I’ll ever have to worry about, as I’ve gone this far in life without a serious relationship. But still! Should it happen, I want my own room! 

I really really love having my own room.  It started off because we're both terrible sleepers and we really sleep better separately, but we're also both pretty introverted and just like having the space and independence of our own rooms. It also means I don't really care if his room is messy -- I don't have to live in it.  And I can have my room the way I want it. We're very touchy-feely though, and cuddle together every night before bed.

At first the separate room thing made me feel a bit insecure, but as time went on and it became obvious that we're still pretty crazy about each other, I stopped feeling that way. It might actually help us continue to be crazy about each other. 

Can I just say how much I love the fact that this thread has veered off into a thread about LHOTP and various aspects of it?  

We don't have separate rooms and I don't I would want to sleep separately on a regular basis, but I know a few people that do and they have very happy and successful marriages so I think it is important to find what works for you. And sleeping separately has little to do with your sex life.  We occasionally sleep separately, for various reasons that include sick kids, one of us being sick, one of us having difficulty sleeping or my husband's crazy work schedule.  I am hoping in the future we have an extra room that one of us could use occasionally as needed. It likely wont happen until our oldest moves out, but it is nice to dream about. I think we would still sleep together most of the time though. We generally wake up together and that is our time together before facing the day/children/dogs/whatever. 

I've always thought it was funny how the LHOP tv show is set in the 1800's but at the same time it has a very 1970's look to it.

8 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I've always thought it was funny how the LHOP tv show is set in the 1800's but at the same time it has a very 1970's look to it.

Yes.  Or how in the last 3 to 4 seasons the women all had caked on makeup (very very noticeable) and the men had 70s shaggy haircuts.

28 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Dean Butler's hair.  also it always annoyed me that Almonzo's hair was blond in the show. 

37 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I feel similarly about the Zeffirelli version of Romeo and Juliet, made in 1968. Supposedly 17th century Italy, but the color choices and hairstyles are 100% late 1960s.

Romeo-Juliet-Photos-1968-romeo-and-juliet-by-franco-zeffirelli-28117420-400-353.jpg

Rose seems to have had a hysterectomy following her son’s birth (and death). It’s always phrased discreetly, so maybe there isn’t concrete proof. She had a reputation as “fast,” which was partly based on having a career, traveling, etc., but she also had relationships that were probably sexual without having to worry about birth control.

On Laura and Almanzo’s separate beds, if you visit their house you’ll see that their bedroom was small and narrow. A double bed wouldn’t have fit. The single beds were placed end-to-end, not next to each other. I’ve always wondered why they didn’t have more children. They were plunged into poverty with the burning of their home almost immediately after their son’s death, so they might have abstained from a combination of prudence, depression, and living in close quarters with others for the next few years. Infertility from malnutrition and Almanzo’s health problems is also possible. I was disappointed that Prairie Fires didn’t address the topic. 

Birth control did exist in the late 19th/early 20th century, too. 

In my experience separate bedrooms is often emblematic of something else and can lead to separate lives. I tried it out initially because my partner and I had almost opposite work schedules. That coupled with the fact that I’m super introverted and not at all needy made separate rooms seem amazing. We tried it but...long story short it didn’t work for us. It became too easy to retreat to those rooms when a disagreement arose. Or just to retreat in general. We found that our respective needs weren’t being met, albeit in different areas.

I also tend to be messy and  knowing my SO is coming home to that room is one of the impetus for me to clean, which I won’t do otherwise and really love (I love having cleaned I hate cleaning, as it were). With my personality type it also gives me an extra push, which I need and enjoy. Sharing a room for us is integral for sharing our lives. I’m sure separate rooms work for some, but not this lady.

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Don't forget the episode of Albert's addiction. And of course there was no actual Albert in real life.

Don't forget James and Cassandra.

4 minutes ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

@singsingsing what about my personal experience is anathema to you?

I’m sorry? I think you may have tagged the wrong person. 

1 hour ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

In my experience separate bedrooms is often emblematic of something else and can lead to separate lives. I tried it out initially because my partner and I had almost opposite work schedules. That coupled with the fact that I’m super introverted and not at all needy made separate rooms seem amazing. We tried it but...long story short it didn’t work for us. It became too easy to retreat to those rooms when a disagreement arose. Or just to retreat in general. We found that our respective needs weren’t being met, albeit in different areas.

I also tend to be messy and  knowing my SO is coming home to that room is one of the impetus for me to clean, which I won’t do otherwise and really love (I love having cleaned I hate cleaning, as it were). With my personality type it also gives me an extra push, which I need and enjoy. Sharing a room for us is integral for sharing our lives. I’m sure separate rooms work for some, but not this lady.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I’m sorry? I think you may have tagged the wrong person. 

I have not. What about what I’ve said is anthema to you? You disagree to what? I’m interested....

Just now, gameofunbeknowns said:

I have not. What about what I’ve said is anthema to you? You disagree to what? I’m interested....

I’m sorry, I still have literally no idea what you’re talking about. I don’t recall disagreeing with you about anything. Could you be more specific? 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived