IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 6: Now Officially Engaged!

laPapessaGiovanna

On 3/8/2018 at 6:13 AM, J'Lurker said:

I went as Laura Ingalls back-to-back Halloweens and was disgusted when the same houses still didn't know who she was. By the end I just gave people a begrudging "I'm a pioneer girl."

I was Laura for Halloween one year too :)

I'm loving this thread drift. I loved the Little House books, and all the spin off series' growing up. I still do. I didn't know a lot of this stuff though. I've learned a bunch and I've got a ton of new books on my "need to read" list 

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been avoiding this topic since it began (another boring Duggar engagement), but little did I know I was missing out on Little House thread drift!

I was a big fan of LH when I was young, but I never saw every single one of them, or at least in order. About 5 or 6 years, I was trying to rest up at home after 3 months of treatment abroad. I was flicking through channels of boring daytime tv when I came across Little House and I thought this is exactly the nostalgic comfort I need right now. However, what I got that day was the Sylvia episode!

What the ... this was not the LH I remembered. I didn't know what I was watching, I was so disturbed by it. Even watching that episode as an adult, that rapist clown scared the bejaysus outta me and just the whole ep was an unexpected dark turn. I quite effected by it for days, and couldn't get it to stop swirling around in my head. Eventually, I figured I did remember seeing that episode before, maybe when I was 11 or 12, and just blocked it out, because I couldn't understand what happened to Sylvia in the wood then but knew it bad and disturbing.

It was not the warm fuzzy feels I remembered from childhood at all. I did continue to watch for another few weeks. It was definitely different watching as an adult than as a child. Those 2 Sylvia episodes and just awful Alyssa godsister episode are the worst.

My parents were super-strict about what I was allowed to watch on television - they avidly scoured TV Guide for show descriptions and made their decisions based on the synopses about what would be OK for me to watch. I never saw the Sylvia/Clown story on LHOTP because my parents wouldn't let me watch it; I've also never seen it on the syndicated repeats of the show.

I was not allowed to watch One Day at a Time, Soap, Three's Company, or the movies Little Darlings, Blue Lagoon, and Endless Love.

They did let me watch All in the Family, Maude, and M*A*S*H, but were selective about the episodes I saw.  

14 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Assuming these are real, I just want to point out that the date (August 28th), is Josiah's birthday. Joy also used her birthday as a stand-in wedding date on her registry. It's likely not the real date.

I’m totally fine with them using a stand-in date since they don’t want to reveal the real date, and I respect that right I privacy. But if I see any tabloids claiming they moved up the date of their wedding like they did with Joy, so help me Rufus...

My guess is that the wedding will be over Memorial Day weekend. That fits with their usual engagement time frame, and it’s just after Lauren turns 19. Ooh, I’ll be in Arkansas then (but not in NWA). They’ve said that Josiah is very outgoing and his graduation party was enormous even by Duggar standards, so I think his wedding will be huge.

Speaking of LHOTP, I'm currently reading a novelization of it from Caroline's perspective. It's interesting. Apparently it's one of the first books with the Wilder/Ingalls trust approval. I like it so far

I honestly don't care when the tabloids speculate. the Duggar's do things they know the mags are watching did they really think the mags were going to let the seeming change of joy's wedding date slide yay no that's all on them. 

13 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Speaking of LHOTP, I'm currently reading a novelization of it from Caroline's perspective. It's interesting. Apparently it's one of the first books with the Wilder/Ingalls trust approval. I like it so far

Title/author?

And as a good Canadian book worm, I loved the Story Girl series and the Emily books by L.M. Montgomery (but detested Anne of Green Gables). And hated their tv counterparts for taking artistic liberties with their plots.
I remeber these books being mentioned in the Jinger thread a while ago as things she could read as an intro to expanding her view on the stereotypes of strict traditional gender roles. Socioeconomic divisions have always had a huge impact on gender roles. When you're dirt poor, everyone must work to survive. Like Michelle had to until TLC. 

Just popping in to say the Emily books are some of my favorite ever! I still read them every year or so. Emily had a darker side to her that I really identified with as a teen, and as an adult realizing that LM Montgomery dealt with depression (as I do myself) was eye opening.
I now realize she was one of my earliest feminist role models. In her books she heavily pushed education of women, contributions of women to society, etc, and housewifey early 1900s storylines felt a bit more like she wrote them but didn't believe them.

33 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I honestly don't care when the tabloids speculate. the Duggar's do things they know the mags are watching did they really think the mags were going to let the seeming change of joy's wedding date slide yay no that's all on them. 

I’m pretty sure Joy flat out said at one point that the registry date was just a place holder. That, plus the day being her birthday and her birthday being a Tuesday last year, should have made it abundantly clear that it wasn’t the real wedding date. 

I think the Duggars obviously invite a lot of the speculation they receive. I personally just find this to be ridiculously lazy “journalism.” It’s not Joy’s fault the tabloids were too lazy to do their jobs. 

Title/author?

Caroline: Little House Revisited. I like that it incorporates the things Laura told but they're in the proper order.

5 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Caroline: Little House Revisited. I like that it incorporates the things Laura told but they're in the proper order.

I actually pre-ordered this book and absolutely love it.  I've read it twice now.  It helped make Ma more real for me.  I thought it was an excellent addition into LIW lore.

7 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My parents were super-strict about what I was allowed to watch on television - they avidly scoured TV Guide for show descriptions and made their decisions based on the synopses about what would be OK for me to watch. I never saw the Sylvia/Clown story on LHOTP because my parents wouldn't let me watch it; I've also never seen it on the syndicated repeats of the show.

I was not allowed to watch One Day at a Time, Soap, Three's Company, or the movies Little Darlings, Blue Lagoon, and Endless Love.

They did let me watch All in the Family, Maude, and M*A*S*H, but were selective about the episodes I saw.  

Why were you not allowed to watch Soap?

I’m pretty sure Joy flat out said at one point that the registry date was just a place holder. That, plus the day being her birthday and her birthday being a Tuesday last year, should have made it abundantly clear that it wasn’t the real wedding date. 
I think the Duggars obviously invite a lot of the speculation they receive. I personally just find this to be ridiculously lazy “journalism.” It’s not Joy’s fault the tabloids were too lazy to do their jobs. 

Equally lazy journalism is using FJ as “a source close to the family” which happens with some regularity. They aren’t journalists as a rule, they are actually fake news, and if you hang out in politics at all, you know how much I despise that term.

13 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I have no idea.

6 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Thank you - I just purchased it. :)  Paper copy should arrive by Thursday. Yay!

1 hour ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Soap was incredibly trashy! Tons of adultery, plus a murder and a gay character, which was pretty shocking in 1984. I loved the first season or two, but then it turned into a real soap opera with little humor and some very sad storylines.

21 hours ago, bekkah said:

I totally was into them. I liked them better than Little House. Like LHOP, you can go tour the homes. They restore them. The town is based on a real town and it’s one of my fave places in MN. They are obscure but I find them charming and worth the read. I don’t think I read them all. 

We visited the houses several years ago. I didn't read all the books until I was an adult but my oldest read them starting in 3rd grade.  We were just talking about the books the other day since we both think my 8 year old might enjoy them too.

If anyone is interested in visiting the homes- Betsy Tacy Home Mankato

38 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Thank you - I just purchased it. :)  Paper copy should arrive by Thursday. Yay!

that book is on my I should buy list but I have so many other's it keeps getting pushed down. oh my the problems of a book lover. :56247976a36a8_Gigglespatgiggle:

8 hours ago, Mela99 said:

I think i have that book! Caroline? I got it as a birthday present and haven't started it yet.

8 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

My guess is that the wedding will be over Memorial Day weekend. That fits with their usual engagement time frame, and it’s just after Lauren turns 19. Ooh, I’ll be in Arkansas then (but not in NWA). They’ve said that Josiah is very outgoing and his graduation party was enormous even by Duggar standards, so I think his wedding will be huge.

Sounds about right. They are going to want to do it before Joken's baby and Jinger's baby arrive but after Lauren turns 19, so she seems older. Kendra is due sometime in June, and Lauren's birthday is I think May 18, so Memorial Day weekend seems a good choice.  

Joy's anniversary is Memorial Day weekend too. Wonder if - eventually - the family will end up with duplications on wedding dates?

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived