IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 6: Now Officially Engaged!

laPapessaGiovanna

4 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

it was a two part arc called Sylvia and it was seriously messed up. here is link to read more about the episodes if you want. 

http://littlehouse.wikia.com/wiki/Sylvia_Webb

That is the worst episode of LHOTP ever, seconded only by the blind school burning and Mary's baby dying in the fire with Mrs. Garvey.  

We like LHOTP here, but we haven't watched the Sylvia episodes or the blind school burning episodes in years, not since my oldest was little and she's 20.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never watched LHOTP but good god, it sounds intense.  Those books didn't seem like something to inspire a soap opera...

On 3/5/2018 at 10:23 AM, karen77 said:

Wow, these kids are really trying to get out of the house fast these days!

Who would want to move out of the house of Cletus Bob? He is a five star chief with his signature dish BBQ tuna. Cheif Cletus Bob put so much effort into opening that can of $0.50 tuna. Who wouldn't want to be in their twenties and sharing a room with a 9-year-old? Who wouldn't want to sleep on a sheetless mattress? The awesome tree house? Unlimited tater tots? Between the five star cooking and amazing acomidations, who on their right mind would leave? 

9 hours ago, slp said:

That is the worst episode of LHOTP ever, seconded only by the blind school burning and Mary's baby dying in the fire with Mrs. Garvey.  

We like LHOTP here, but we haven't watched the Sylvia episodes or the blind school burning episodes in years, not since my oldest was little and she's 20.

I just want to point out for anyone who has only ever watched the TV show and not read the books that Mary was never married and there was no blind school fire or dead baby.  that is actually one episode I have never watched even though I have all the seasons because who wants to watch that. not me. 

12 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I just want to point out for anyone who has only ever watched the TV show and not read the books that Mary was never married and there was no blind school fire or dead baby.  that is actually one episode I have never watched even though I have all the seasons because who wants to watch that. not me. 

That show took so many liberties with Laura's story as written in her books (in which, Laura herself took quite a bit of liberty with her true life story). 

9 hours ago, slp said:

Those were both awful episodes. And I can still see Mrs. Garvey with the infant in her arms trying to break the window and get out. 

4 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

That show took so many liberties with Laura's story as written in her books (which, also, took quite a bit of liberty with her true life story). 

Gosh yes. I read the books before I saw the show. I didn't mind the show but sometimes I would have liked for them to go more with the books. 

25 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

That show took so many liberties with Laura's story as written in her books (in which, Laura herself took quite a bit of liberty with her true life story). 

one of the biggest ones to me was how she messed with Carrie's birth story and the whole Indian Territory storyline which she messed with to great extent. 

3 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

one of the biggest ones to me was how she messed with Carrie's birth story and the whole Indian Territory storyline which she messed with to great extent. 

What was carrie's birth story really?

I know I've said this before but I went back and did some more digging regarding Lauren's family moving to Arkansas.  I first saw it on Pickles page on January 22nd.  There's a comment saying the family had wanted to move before the relationship due to having lots of friends in the area but the relationship sped up the move.  They apparently haven't been living in Arkansas long.  Pickles mentioned they moved to Arkansas again on the March 5th post.  

6 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

What was carrie's birth story really?

Carrie was born in Kansas. the family moved from Wisconsin to Kansas back to Wisconsin and then on to Minnesota. So if Laura was being accurate Carrie wouldn't have even been in the first book and they also wouldn't have went straight to plum creek in the third book. (Not including farmer boy in this count)  

Just now, Ivycoveredtower said:

Carrie was born in Kansas. the family moved from Wisconsin to Kansas back to Wisconsin and then on to Minnesota. So if Laura was being accurate Carrie wouldn't have even been in the first book and they also wouldn't have went straight to plum creek in the third book. (Not including farmer boy in this count)  

Right, also Laura was really young before they moved to Kansas, so isn't the first book really after the second book?  Its when they are back in Wisconsin? Or at least based upon that time?

The way I heard it, she wrote Little House in the Big Woods first, not necessarily intending to write the others. But then it was suggested that she write about their move to Kansas. Her publishers(?) didn't believe that it was possible for a child as young as she would have been at the time to remember so much, so they set it after Little House in the Big Woods and fudged the timeline/ages. 

Doesn't really seem like a big deal to me - the books were written as fictionalized accounts of her childhood, not as autobiographies.

1 minute ago, justoneoftwo said:

Right, also Laura was really young before they moved to Kansas, so isn't the first book really after the second book?  Its when they are back in Wisconsin? Or at least based upon that time?

yes I think that would be about right because Carrie and Laura are only 3 years apart. plus in the books she doesn't talk about her brother (At least the show does that) or the time her family ran the hotel and that was when Grace was born. (again the show does that of course not the right town but at least they try. 

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Doesn't really seem like a big deal to me - the books were written as fictionalized accounts of her childhood, not as autobiographies.

True, but many people *assume* they're autobiographical. The most egregious thing she did in the books (IMO) was making Nellie Oleson an amalgamation of TWO horrid people. lol

The family also lived in Iowa for a time; that's where Charles Frederick (the only male sibling) was born.

10 minutes ago, Nashville92 said:

I know I've said this before but I went back and did some more digging regarding Lauren's family moving to Arkansas.  I first saw it on Pickles page on January 22nd.  There's a comment saying the family had wanted to move before the relationship due to having lots of friends in the area but the relationship sped up the move.  They apparently haven't been living in Arkansas long.  Pickles mentioned they moved to Arkansas again on the March 5th post.  

I’m not buying they moved because they ‘had a lot of friends in the area’.  I’m sure they do, but the Swansons grew up in GA, went to school there, their family still lives there, and Dwain had two businesses there.  Are they expecting us to believe they left their lives and livelihood simply to be closer to friends?  Yeah, no.

4 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

yes I think that would be about right because Carrie and Laura are only 3 years apart. plus in the books she doesn't talk about her brother (At least the show does that) or the time her family ran the hotel and that was when Grace was born. (again the show does that of course not the right town but at least they try. 

But the show is totally inaccurate. It's not true to either the books or her actual life, at all. The show is to the books what 'The Tudors' is to actual history. Maybe they mention a brother, but it may as well take place on another planet.

10 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

True, but many people *assume* they're autobiographical. The most egregious thing she did in the books (IMO) was making Nellie Oleson an amalgamation of TWO horrid people. lol

The family also lived in Iowa for a time; that's where Charles Frederick (the only male sibling) was born.

Charles Frederick actually was born in Walnut grove. Grace was the baby that was born in Iowa. 

here is an interesting Time line of all there moves and some other historical moments in history around that time. 

http://littlehouseontheprairie.com/history-timeline-of-laura-ingalls-wilder/

there is a book I read a couple of months ago called The Wilder Life: My Adventures in the Lost World of Little House on the Prairie. The author, a big Little House fan visits all the Little House sites. She was not a fan of the show. Its a really fun read. 

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I've only read the books and never seen the TV show and I'm just sitting here reading about how shit apparently got real on the show and it's wigging me out. I mean really, raped by a mime??

1 minute ago, VineHeart137 said:

I've only read the books and never seen the TV show and I'm just sitting here reading about how shit apparently got real on the show and it's wigging me out. I mean really, raped by a mime??

it was some dude in a clown mask or so says the episode description I read it's been a long time since I seen it but yes that show wasn't as child friendly as they wanted people to believe. 

rape, babies burning alive. kidnappings (multiple of those) children drowning. children dying of cancer miscarriages  multiple baby deaths  young teens having babies and abandoning them in the woods. (that one is a long story that turns out well but still) 

I could go on. 

19 minutes ago, Snarkasarus Rex said:

I’m not buying they moved because they ‘had a lot of friends in the area’.  I’m sure they do, but the Swansons grew up in GA, went to school there, their family still lives there, and Dwain had two businesses there.  Are they expecting us to believe they left their lives and livelihood simply to be closer to friends?  Yeah, no.

Hey, I'm sure they do have a lot of friends in the area - it's just that they're all named Duggar. :P 

11 hours ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

So I was trying to find out more info about Lauren. I was really trying to find out her sibs names because I mean her moms name is Lana and she's Lauren I just have to know are they all L's anyway not sure if this was touched on but she was in the 19 kids episode called Duggar's do dinner from 2010  now I want to see if I can find said episode. (found on dailymotion) 

edited to add that Michelle says she meets the Swanson family for the first time in that episode   and the  Bontrager family is also present. it's the meeting of the Fundy's oh my. 

So I am watching this episode and they make a big announcement that the production assistant is expecting.  Seriously, this passed as plot back then and we are surprised now at how boring the show is? 

I think Laura's daughter heavily edited all of Laura's writings before they were put in book form. They recently came out with Pioneer Girl (https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Girl-Laura-Ingalls-Wilder/dp/0984504176) of Laura's first round of notes ( i believe)

I have it, i just haven't delved into yet. Rose was the known writer that helped secure Laura's publishing. I always thought that was interesting

I've always read that much of Laura's books were ghost written by her daughter Rose, with an aim of advancing Rose's political views. Like, there's a fair amount of libertarian stuff in them because Rose was involved was involved involved in the beginnings of that movement. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived