IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 6: Now Officially Engaged!

laPapessaGiovanna

7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Joy's anniversary is Memorial Day weekend too. Wonder if - eventually - the family will end up with duplications on wedding dates?

Oh no doubt they will. My aunt and I share a wedding anniversary, 10 years apart, and my cousin's anniversary is the day before our aunt's and mine, 7 years after mine. It happens.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, anjulibai said:

Oh no doubt they will. My aunt and I share a wedding anniversary, 10 years apart, and my cousin's anniversary is the day before our aunt's and mine, 7 years after mine. It happens.

I am still miffed that Jinger married on Spurg's first birthday. really she couldn't wait a week to get married it just always left a bad taste in my mouth. 

1 minute ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

I am still miffed that Jinger married on Spurg's first birthday. really she couldn't wait a week to get married it just always left a bad taste in my mouth. 

I'm guessing it had to do with 1) the schedule of the church venue and 2) the production schedule for the show. There's lots of reasons people pick different dates, I imagine Spurg didn't know the difference and he was given a party later. 

34 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

31 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I'm guessing it had to do with 1) the schedule of the church venue and 2) the production schedule for the show. There's lots of reasons people pick different dates, I imagine Spurg didn't know the difference and he was given a party later. 

Plus, Derick's brother Dan had already scheduled his wedding for the week after Spurg's birthday.

I know copper/rose gold is crossing over into overdone territory but I like all the copper and marble stuff on their registry.

I hate those faux folksy signs though. They won't go with the copper and marble accessories at all.

I’m not a fan of those signs, but I think they “go” with the copper and marble. All of those can be used in a very Joanna-Gaines-country-farmhouse inspired kind of way. 

I also really like copper, marble, and rose gold. I’m sad that rose gold is considered overdone and going out of style. I have always liked all three of those things, so I was happy when they trended.

On 3/8/2018 at 12:40 PM, bekkah said:

[snip]

I also read Betsy and Tacy books ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betsy-Tacy). I liked those better than LHOP. I am a MN so I was into things that happened in the state. 

On 3/8/2018 at 4:49 PM, justoneoftwo said:

I loved the Betsy Tacy books!  They were so much fun.  I also love running into someone who has read them, as they are less well known (except they are discussed in You've Got Mail, which made me squeal).

On 3/10/2018 at 9:09 PM, bekkah said:

I totally was into them. I liked them better than Little House. Like LHOP, you can go tour the homes. They restore them. The town is based on a real town and it’s one of my fave places in MN. They are obscure but I find them charming and worth the read. I don’t think I read them all. 

Betsy Tacy & Tib were some of my favorite books growing up. My mom's whole family is from (and still in) Minnesota, so i felt particularly attached to them. I have them saved at my parents house for when I have kids one day and I still vividly remember scenes from the books to this day. Tib saying "Hairs" instead of "hair", Tacy's long beautiful auburn lock getting cut off, Betsy wondering just when on earth she will curl her hair for her husband when she gets married, all of it! Great amazing books. 

6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I have no idea.

I hope you've watched the show since then. Soap is one of my all time favorite shows! Its so funny. Burt, Chuck and Bob are my favorites.

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Soap was incredibly trashy! Tons of adultery, plus a murder and a gay character, which was pretty shocking in 1984. I loved the first season or two, but then it turned into a real soap opera with little humor and some very sad storylines.

Yeah, that probably would be a reason not to watch. I loved the show. I used to be addicted to soap operas which made the show easy to love the crazy storylines. Especially Burt, Chuck and Bob. I loved Mary and Jessica. The entire series but I do agree the last season isn't my favorite. I didn't like that Corinne left. I preferred her over Eunice.  But I hate that they canceled it on a cliffhanger! Jessica about to be shot by a firing squad. I know the writer or writers have said later they would have been blanks but what about Burt? He walking into an ambush and Chester about to murder Danny and Annie plus we never got to see Jody turned back into himself or if Mary's baby really was an alien.  

I love love love the Betsy-Tacy books. And I am in no way a Minnesotan. I ordered the reprints about 10 years ago and am so sad I have no girls to read these to (only have little boys who want spy stories). (My favorite was Betsy's trip to pre WWI Europe.)

7 hours ago, Chicken bones said:

I love love love the Betsy-Tacy books. And I am in no way a Minnesotan. I ordered the reprints about 10 years ago and am so sad I have no girls to read these to (only have little boys who want spy stories). (My favorite was Betsy's trip to pre WWI Europe.)

Not from Minnesota either but I loved them too!  And Betsy's trip to pre WWI Europe was also my favorite.

11 hours ago, artdecades said:

I hate those faux folksy signs though. They won't go with the copper and marble accessories at all.

I don't see why they registered for any signs at all. It seems like every fundy couple these days is gifted with a rustic wagonload of wooden signs with painted bible verses on them, plus there is always a bevy of maidens available to come paint more verses directly on your walls.

I personally don't like seeing written exhortations plastered everywhere in my home. I find it stressful. Too much chatter-as-art.

27 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

It seems like every fundy couple these days is gifted with a rustic wagonload of wooden signs with painted bible verses on them

It's not just bible verses. It's inspirational sayings and whatnot. And it's not just fundy couples. We have legit atheist friends with that sort of decor. 

Well at least Si didn't ask for socks on his Amazon registry. That's a step up.

9 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

It's not just bible verses. It's inspirational sayings and whatnot. And it's not just fundy couples. We have legit atheist friends with that sort of decor. 

It's very popular. I actually might get a few pieces for myself once renovations are over.

I'm too lazy to check, but I think 8/28 is Josiah's birthday. They're just using it as a placeholder as they did with Joy's registry. 

The macrame wall hanging tho...

Lol!

3 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Poor Joy. She just had a baby and another duggar ruined her moment. And Josiah looks 50 years old

Which Duggar ruined her moment? Josiah with his engagement?

8 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Poor Joy. She just had a baby and another duggar ruined her moment. And Josiah looks 50 years old

They can’t stop living their own lives because  a sibling  has had a major life event. If a Duggars waits to marry or get engaged or be pregnant so they won’t “ruin” another’s moment they will end up not doing a damn thing. 

5 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Which Duggar ruined her moment? Josiah with his engagement?

Yes. Then at her wedding Joseph I think with his engagemet

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, SapphireSlytherin said:

My parents were super-strict about what I was allowed to watch on television - they avidly scoured TV Guide for show descriptions and made their decisions based on the synopses about what would be OK for me to watch. I never saw the Sylvia/Clown story on LHOTP because my parents wouldn't let me watch it; I've also never seen it on the syndicated repeats of the show.

I was not allowed to watch One Day at a Time, Soap, Three's Company, or the movies Little Darlings, Blue Lagoon, and Endless Love.

They did let me watch All in the Family, Maude, and M*A*S*H, but were selective about the episodes I saw.  

Are we related? I couldn't watch Love Boat, Three's Company, Who's the Boss... Little House was approved - as was Dukes of Hazzard - which now strikes me as bizarre.

Ha, I grew up without a TV at all, so I missed ALL the classics. 

We didn't get a TV until I was almost eighteen and our family finally broke free from the cult I had been raised in. 

11 minutes ago, Meggo said:

Are we related? I couldn't watch Love Boat, Three's Company, Who's the Boss... Little House was approved - as was Dukes of Hazzard - which now strikes me as bizarre.

You are the FIRST person I've ever "met" who had these ridiculous prohibitions on television shows! omg

Just now, SapphireSlytherin said:

You are the FIRST person I've ever "met" who had these ridiculous prohibitions on television shows! omg

Solidarity!

Oh the rules were silly - Who's the Boss was bad because it had both a male housekeeper AND people lived together who weren't married. Three's company - bad living situation. I don't even think it was that they lied about Jack being gay to Mr. Furley. 
And Love Boat - I don't know - I still have never seen an episode so...

I also wasn't allowed to wear any underwear that wasn't beige as a teenager - because the only reason you wear nice underwear is because someone will see it and that means you're having s-e-x. Kissing is for prom - if you kiss a boy before prom - what is he going to expect AT prom? Yeah... not fundy - but pretty weird anyway.

@Meggo So.Many.Rules.

I couldn't use tampons because only bad girls use them before they're married.

I could only go out with my friends one night per week, and I had to be home by 10:30 (even in high school).

I could only use the phone for 20 minutes at a time, for a total of 1 hour per day.

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived