IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 6: Now Officially Engaged!

laPapessaGiovanna

2 minutes ago, Honeysuckle said:

I'm not sure the Duggars are allowed to watch every episode of the Little House show. I mean there is that episode where Sylvia gets raped by a mime.

One of the many violent mimes of the frontier? Nobody needs to see that.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Honeysuckle said:

I'm not sure the Duggars are allowed to watch every episode of the Little House show. I mean there is that episode where Sylvia gets raped by a mime.

Why did you have to remind me of that episode?! GAH! They used to play reruns of Little House when I was 12 or 13, and I had another friend who I knew watched it. After that episode, I called her and we had a conversation that basically amounted to, "Seriously, WTF?"

Lucretia's poem, from about the same century as Sappho, tells of a woman who was raped then "honor killed" herself to spare her husband the shame of her impurity. The history of the world is not homogeneous, but it certainly isn't predominantly feminist either.
   The other commentator did make a good point, however, that just because something was or is normal in a culture does not make it a good thing.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

Why did you have to remind me of that episode?! GAH! They used to play reruns of Little House when I was 12 or 13, and I had another friend who I knew watched it. After that episode, I called her and we had a conversation that basically amounted to, "Seriously, WTF?"

Sorry. This is honestly the first thing I think about whenever someone brings up the "wholesome" LHotP show. It left such a lasting psychological scar.

Nothing useful or intellectual to add to this particular thread drift, but that I find it 1000x more interesting than SiRen's engagement. 

Holy shit, that was quick.

Well, I hope they're actually happy.

1 hour ago, Honeysuckle said:

oh don't forget the unwed mother episode where Laura finds the baby in the woods and Harriet thinks that Laura had a baby and Willy fathered it. that scene was hilarious. 

4 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

My family tree says you are quite wrong. I've seen a vast number of babies born at a perfectly normal weight 5-6 months after the wedding. My paternal grandmother takes the cake. My aunt was born 2 months after their wedding, and she was a whopping 7 pounds. Funny about that...! 

Like teens sneaking around in a car, if there is a will for sex, there will be a way to have sex! :) 

I was very surprised how often that was the case. Along with divorce. For no one ever divorced back then my family sure had a lot of divorces. Not just the men. Two different women on in the 1930s and one in the late 1800s left their husband, took the kids and left filed for divorce and seem to have zero problems being able to remarry a year or two later.    

10 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I was very surprised how often that was the case. Along with divorce. For no one ever divorced back then my family sure had a lot of divorces. Not just the men. Two different women on in the 1930s and one in the late 1800s left their husband, took the kids and left filed for divorce and seem to have zero problems being able to remarry a year or two later.    

speaking of divorce since we also talking Little house on this thread Laura's daughter Rose got a divorce.  according to wiki it was 1918 but they may have been separated as early as 1915.

20 hours ago, Timetraveler said:

Ah well, as long as their first kiss won't be anything like this :my_cry:

Okay now that I'm done vomiting I have questions and concerns ...

1. Why are they showering pre sex? 

2. Is she going to dry her hair before she gets the lingerie on? 

3. How the hell are they that bad at kissing?

4. They make the Duggar couples look like pros... I wonder if any if the Duggars actually kissed before marriage.

5. WTF are they doing with their noses?

6.why are they on a playground talking about losing their virginity.

7. I don't think the "surprise" they have for each other will be that surprising.

2 hours ago, Crazy Enough to Join said:

Lucretia's poem, from about the same century as Sappho, tells of a woman who was raped then "honor killed" herself to spare her husband the shame of her impurity. The history of the world is not homogeneous, but it certainly isn't predominantly feminist either.

But there's a difference between a married matron reacting, through a politically significant act of self-destruction, to rape by an authority figure, and then the kind of pre- and extra-marital sex between regular, consenting citizens that you see in ancient poetry. Lucretia's experience was probably not standard...

3 minutes ago, Daisy0322 said:

Okay now that I'm done vomiting I have questions and concerns ...

1. Why are they showering pre sex? 

2. Is she going to dry her hair before she gets the lingerie on? 

3. How the hell are they that bad at kissing?

4. They make the Duggar couples look like pros... I wonder if any if the Duggars actually kissed before marriage.

5. WTF are they doing with their noses?

6.why are they on a playground talking about losing their virginity.

7. I don't think the "surprise" they have for each other will be that surprising.

part of me thinks Jeremy and Jinger did. maybe even Joy and Austin. I don't think the others did. 

I think all speculation about the Duggars kissing pre wedding is completely baseless and highly improbable.

4 hours ago, Honeysuckle said:

Sorry. This is honestly the first thing I think about whenever someone brings up the "wholesome" LHotP show. It left such a lasting psychological scar.

Wait, this raping-mime episode was seriously a thing?

Back to Siren for a moment. Didn't see this mentioned before but Jessa and Ben, and Jinger and Jeremy are wearing the same clothes in their congrats videos for baby Gideon on Feb. 27th and for Siren's engagement on Mar. 6th.  Wonder when they actually got engaged, and started courting for that matter.

10 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

it was a two part arc called Sylvia and it was seriously messed up. here is link to read more about the episodes if you want. 

http://littlehouse.wikia.com/wiki/Sylvia_Webb

Oh hell no. Rape is up there with kidnapping and imprisonment on my entertainment blacklist. (But thanks.)

7 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Back to Siren for a moment. Didn't see this mentioned before but Jessa and Ben, and Jinger and Jeremy are wearing the same clothes in their congrats videos for baby Gideon on Feb. 27th and for Siren's engagement on Mar. 6th.  Wonder when they actually got engaged, and started courting for that matter.

Nice catch. It was definitely filmed on the same day. So they were engaged at least by February 27th. Which means that their courtship was less than two months long. (I do believe them when they say they started courting at the beginning of January, but I do think they probably had a fairly lengthy getting-to-know-you period before that.)

14 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

wow I didn't catch that maybe because Jessa and Ben's two video's looked so different plus Jess had her hair up in the Siren one. any way who knows as for the courting I am convinced it was before they went overseas for their trip that they started to court. there is no way that courting video wasn't shot in one of the houses.  and they were still overseas when it was released.  

4 minutes ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

wow I didn't catch that maybe because Jessa and Ben's two video's looked so different plus Jess had her hair up in the Siren one. any way who knows as for the courting I am convinced it was before they went overseas for their trip that they started to court. there is no way that courting video wasn't shot in one of the houses.  and they were still overseas when it was released.  

There's no mystery there - they themselves said that they starting courting before they went on the trip. :) 

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

There's no mystery there - they themselves said that they starting courting before they went on the trip. :) 

thank you I guess I just didn't catch that bit. 

5 hours ago, Crazy Enough to Join said:

The other commentator did make a good point, however, that just because something was or is normal in a culture does not make it a good thing.

You mean the poem written by Shakespeare "in the same century as Sappho" or the legends about king Tarquinius Superbus being an evil bastard with a rapist son that justified the revolt that led Rome to become a Republic whose first consuls were Lucretia's husband and his best friend Jiunius Brutus? The rape of Lucretia allegedly happened in 509 BC, Titus Livius and Ovid wrote about it 5 centuries after it supposedly happened. Every expert in Roman history will tell you that legends about Rome's origins, foundation and transition to Res Publica first and empire later are to be read with a wagonload of salt as they are the resulting mix of a part of truth and a good dose of what today we wouldn't call truth but political opportunism, justification of later events, glorification of Roman mores and Roman religious traditions.

You could also read how the rape supposedly went as it was written by Titus (in his Ab urbe condita, very much not a poem). In that case you will notice that Collatinus (Lucretia's husband) bragged with his friends about his wife being the best and the "chastest" and the most reliable Roman matron in his absence from Rome. They surreptitiously went back to Rome during the night to check on their women. The king's daughters in law were having fun with food and friends. It's not said outright but it's implied that their fun was beyond conventionally acceptable and quite lascivious (Ovid in his Fasti says they were being courted by other young men). Yet the text doesn't mention a punishment for them on the contrary it clealy says that Lucretia's "tum spectata castitas incitat" Sextus Tarquinius's "mala libido". After the fact, before Lucretia's suicide, her father and husband tell her that she has no fault, that she's a victim. But she replies that no woman will live dishonoured by Lucretia's example and kills herself.

You'd say that this is proof that Romans thought that rape dishonoured a woman, but it would be more correct to affirm that this was just what Titus Livius 5 centuries later wanted his contemporaries to believe to justify the legitimacy of the transition from regnum to Res Publica. Finally while it may say a lot about Livius's intents and partially about Roman mores at Livius's times, it says precisely zilch about what sort of life women had five centuries before. 

As I said history is long, cultures are varied and not monolithic in nature. Sweeping statements make no sense and accurate reading cum grano salis of sources is fundamental.

I remember seeing that Little House episode with Sylvia and Albert as an adult. It still haunts me to this day.

So I was trying to find out more info about Lauren. I was really trying to find out her sibs names because I mean her moms name is Lana and she's Lauren I just have to know are they all L's anyway not sure if this was touched on but she was in the 19 kids episode called Duggar's do dinner from 2010  now I want to see if I can find said episode. (found on dailymotion) 

edited to add that Michelle says she meets the Swanson family for the first time in that episode   and the  Bontrager family is also present. it's the meeting of the Fundy's oh my. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived