IGNORED

Counting on Season 4- Part 4: Duggar Time or Watching Paint Dry

samurai_sarah

On 2/28/2018 at 8:24 PM, Satan'sFortress said:

Hmmm.  Would I rather have the Duggars or the Bates as neighbors?  Interesting question.  The Bates kids seem to get married and move further away, so that is a plus for them.  But the Duggars would probably be more likely to shun me, so that is a plus for them.  Decisions, decisions.

I’d want to live right between them. Can you say house party?  I can just imagine the looks on their faces when hubby’s construction friends and bar buddies show up. I’ve seen some of these guys get naked and dance on the bar!

Not to mention my brother’s loud-mouthed, always drunk by noon girlfriend who can find a way to offend practically anyone. This is a woman who embarrassed me so bad in a Walmart, I almost ditched her there. I think it’s a real statement to be mortified in a Walmart (on that particular trip, I saw a woman walking a man on a leash while wearing thigh high leather boots with 6 inch heels).

Good Times!

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, ThunderRolls said:

The Duggars seem more sanctimonious to me, but that might be an incorrect perception on my part since the Bates are still super involved with their cult, too. 

I think it’s a correct perception, or at least one I share. :pb_lol: Jim Bob seems possessed and inflexible with his Gothardism and alt-right conservatism. He has always presented to me as an arrogant, self serving, conniving, controlling, sanctimonious politician, and also kind of a pervert.

Gil Bates is on the Board at IBLP, true, but some of that feels like maybe he just isn’t good at anything else and needed a job. I don’t recall Gil pursuing any type of leadership role or ministry prior to becoming a public figure. He was cutting trees, making babies, and satisfied with an infrequent trip to Ye Olde Steak House. I doubt Gil is the brain child behind any IBLP strategy. He’s just a poster boy they exploit for their sinking empire because he has a TV show.

I wouldn't want to live next to the Bates, at least the Duggars are fairly quiet. I'd get murderous if I had to see "candid" instagram photo shoots all the time. Might be tempted to get the hose out and spray. 

1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

@Otto Titsling--Your Walmart sounds a bit more...interesting than mine. :my_biggrin:

I was actually in North Carolina visiting them. I’m not one to pigeon hole the south (because I lived there at one point), but this particular trip was like every bad country song, red neck joke, and hillbilly story rolled in to one. But if we’re having a big house party to offend the fundies, I’ll pay the Greyhound tickets so they could be there.

My Walmart here in Michigan is the typical occasional meth head, three lanes open for 50 people, and there’s never any damn carts inside type. 

3 hours ago, Otto Titsling said:

My Walmart here in Michigan is the typical occasional meth head, three lanes open for 50 people, and there’s never any damn carts inside type. 

I don't know that I can quickly identify a meth head, but we get the folks shopping in their pj's and fuzzy slippers. I can definitely relate to the no carts and 3 lanes open for 50 people.

On a recent trip, all 3 open lanes were being staffed by trainees. :pb_rollseyes: On another memorable trip (years ago), every lane had 3 or 4 "super couponer"  customers using giant binders full of coupons. If I hadn't needed groceries so badly, I would have left. Instead, I gave my toddler a snack, some paper, and some crayons. Then I pulled out my nursing cover-up and nursed the baby to sleep. :pb_lol: We finally got to check out 30 or 40 minutes after we got in line. 

20 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I don't know that I can quickly identify a meth head, but we get the folks shopping in their pj's and fuzzy slippers. I can definitely relate to the no carts and 3 lanes open for 50 people.

On a recent trip, all 3 open lanes were being staffed by trainees. :pb_rollseyes: On another memorable trip (years ago), every lane had 3 or 4 "super couponer"  customers using giant binders full of coupons. If I hadn't needed groceries so badly, I would have left. Instead, I gave my toddler a snack, some paper, and some crayons. Then I pulled out my nursing cover-up and nursed the baby to sleep. :pb_lol: We finally got to check out 30 or 40 minutes after we got in line. 

Meth heads have an almost grayish tinge to them and usually their skin is a dead give away. They try to pick off bugs that aren’t there, so they have sores. 

I actually have to use 2 carts for groceries, so if I’ve taken the time to get all those groceries, I’m staying. But kudos for the multitasking in line!

I’ve been known to grab a candy bar off the rack, a Diet Pepsi out of the cooler, and a good gossip magazine to read while I’m waiting (I always pay with wrapper and half empty bottle). 

I worked for the police for two years, so now I can't not spot meth heads. It's pretty unmistakable... once you've seen enough of it, you can never really unsee it.

On 2/28/2018 at 8:00 AM, Gillyweed said:

It's like that friends episode where Ross gives Chandler advice on how to get away with sleeping without cuddling. 

Yes! As I was reading this, all I could think was “hug and roll!”

5 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I worked for the police for two years, so now I can't not spot meth heads. It's pretty unmistakable... once you've seen enough of it, you can never really unsee it.

A truly sad statement on America today.

Thank you for your service, it means a lot. 

7 hours ago, Otto Titsling said:

@singsingsing is actually from Canada, that magical land of maple syrup, poutine, and Mounties. 

20 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

@singsingsing is actually from Canada, that magical land of maple syrup, poutine, and Mounties. 

And the place where they say 'shit disturber'. :pb_lol:

8 hours ago, Otto Titsling said:

I am indeed Canadian, so don't worry, America isn't the only country with issues. Trust me. ;) Also, I was not a sworn officer, so basically I saw all the shit without (generally) having to actually deal with any of it. You really do see the worst of society every single day. But you also see the best of society sometimes. And the human stories were what I loved. I can only speak for myself, but working for the police made me more liberal, more inclined to support rehabilitation vs. prison sentences, and more understanding and empathetic toward people who have committed crimes. If you go to WalMart and see someone who looks like a meth head with a couple of dirty kids in tow getting busted for shoplifting, you (general 'you') might think, "That's disgusting." But when you can look back into a person's history with the police, honestly, 9 times out of 10 they started out as victims. When you can see all the shit they've gone through, it humanizes them. It doesn't necessarily excuse them or make you like them, but it humanizes them.

Wow, I didn't expect to start writing a novel here, haha. My mum was a 911 operator for many years. I have some crazy stories from my time with the police, but she's got me beat by far!

So Jeremy and the shorts and the stretching et al.

He is clearly in on the joke. I think he’s well aware of the ridiculousness of his in laws. I think he lives and operates in the real world. Doctrinally, is he a super evangelical conservative Christian? Yep. But I think he loves Jinger. He wants Jinger to dress the way she wants. He is bugged by Jessa because, as a previous poster said, Jinger folds when she’s around. Is that because he wants to be the only one with any influence in her life? I don’t see that. I think for all intents and purposes, Jinger is free.

Free in the case of the Duggars doesn’t mean that they completely shift to the opposite side of the ideological spectrum.

So... what do y'all think will be the big news drop/ teaser on Monday to get people to tune in?

a) Jessa is pregnant

b ) Josiah got engaged

c) someone else is courting

d) nothing new this week

9 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

So... what do y'all think will be the big news drop/ teaser on Monday to get people to tune in?

a) Jessa is pregnant

b ) Josiah got engaged

d) nothing new this week

I'm guessing nothing.

Well from the previews, it looks like that they are going to be shopping for the guys wedding gear. Kendra is trying to keep them interested and they're all bored out of their tree. 

I truly did not know that shit disturber was a Canadian thing...the more you know! :) 

On the topic of crazy Walmart experiences, I was 19 once and working Black Friday (with an ulcer flare up, mind you) when out of the blue this man runs from the store with a ginormous television under one arm and his baby flopping in his other arm. Thank God I had a whole line and wasn't expected to do much. 

On 3/3/2018 at 2:25 PM, Kaylo said:

So Jeremy and the shorts and the stretching et al.

He is clearly in on the joke. I think he’s well aware of the ridiculousness of his in laws. I think he lives and operates in the real world. Doctrinally, is he a super evangelical conservative Christian? Yep. But I think he loves Jinger. He wants Jinger to dress the way she wants. He is bugged by Jessa because, as a previous poster said, Jinger folds when she’s around. Is that because he wants to be the only one with any influence in her life? I don’t see that. I think for all intents and purposes, Jinger is free.

Free in the case of the Duggars doesn’t mean that they completely shift to the opposite side of the ideological spectrum.

I don't think Jinger is free, I think she just got lucky that Jeremy is "modern" and somewhat "cosmopolitan" for a fundie, like she dreamed. I don't think Jinger ever really dreamed of escaping the cult, she just wanted a modern life. I also think Jinger is a pushover and she did whatever Jessa wanted her to do and her parents wanted her to be, now she's the perfect modern preacher's wife and is whatever Jeremy wants her to be.

Jinger never had the opportunity to be truly free.  Meaning, very limited options.  Who know what she would've done with her life given all the opportunities many of us had.  I could see her at F.I.T in NYC for sure though.  Art student comes to mind frequently when I've seen her in more candid moments in her life.   

I agree with Kaylo that Jeremy is annoyed with the Duggars in general, but loves Jinger and all she is, to him.  They are going to be conservative baptists, period.  But, not Gothardites.  No way.  They are ok with living in the world while being Catholic hating, gay hating, birth control/abortion hateres, bible loving fundies. I really think Jessa bugs him the most.  He seems to want Jinger to be herself more and Jessa makes that impossible. 

On 3/3/2018 at 10:28 AM, Cheetah said:

a) Jessa is pregnant

b ) Josiah got engaged

d) nothing new this week

More of the same. 

On 3/2/2018 at 5:13 AM, Million Children For Jesus said:

I think it’s a correct perception, or at least one I share. :pb_lol: Jim Bob seems possessed and inflexible with his Gothardism and alt-right conservatism. He has always presented to me as an arrogant, self serving, conniving, controlling, sanctimonious politician, and also kind of a pervert.

Gil Bates is on the Board at IBLP, true, but some of that feels like maybe he just isn’t good at anything else and needed a job. I don’t recall Gil pursuing any type of leadership role or ministry prior to becoming a public figure. He was cutting trees, making babies, and satisfied with an infrequent trip to Ye Olde Steak House. I doubt Gil is the brain child behind any IBLP strategy. He’s just a poster boy they exploit for their sinking empire because he has a TV show.

I was always of the thought that GB worshipped at the altar of BG, while JBD worshipped himself.

27 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

GB worshipped at the altar of BG, while JBD worshipped himself.

I spent way too much time trying to figure out why Great Britain was worshipping Bowling Green. And JBD really threw me for a loop so I guess I'm senile now.

On 3/3/2018 at 12:28 PM, Cheetah said:

a) Jessa is pregnant

b ) Josiah got engaged

d) nothing new this week

I think they're going to get up tomorrow morning and shake their Magic 8 ball Godly Jesus 8 ball and whatever comes up (pregnancy, engagement, courtship...) will be what they announce. ;) 

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived