IGNORED

Counting on Season 4- Part 4: Duggar Time or Watching Paint Dry

samurai_sarah

I have never understood why Jeremy is a pastor in Laredo, Texas, on the border with Mexico and does not speak Spanish. I mean, what?

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, justoneoftwo said:

Do you mean this in the clinical sense?  If so what makes you say so?

You mean calling Jeremy a narcissist? I don't mean it in the clinical sense or as a fact, I just think he has a lot of self-admiration and agree with others who think he is a bit full of himself. It would be interesting to hear an actual psychologist's thoughts on him but I am not that. :my_smile:

9 minutes ago, CaricatureQualities said:

I wonder if Renaldo is Catholic or not and if Jeremy tried to talk to him about Jesus or invited him to his church or tried to minister to him in any way.

Ugh.  I used to be a Catholic--in Texas, no less.  My protestant friends tried to convert me & tell me that Catholics weren't really Christian and that we would go to hell.  They meant this to be a kindness, by the way.

I am an atheist now (or more specifically, I am an apathist) but reading the words to his anti-Catholic sermon still stung. 

Unpopular opinion, I don't get the vibe that he's a wacko on tv. I think the way he looks & treats Jinger is indicative of how he very much loves her. I thought their little tennis match was a young couple having fun together.

But then his sermons make the rounds on interwebz....

I guess he knows how to hide his crazy? Was that an essay question in the potential date-my-duggar-daughter questionnaire?

2 minutes ago, kachuu said:

Unpopular opinion, I don't get the vibe that he's a wacko on tv. I think the way he looks & treats Jinger is indicative of how he very much loves her. I thought their little tennis match was a young couple having fun together.

But then his sermons make the rounds on interwebz....

I guess he knows how to hide his crazy? Was that an essay question in the potential date-my-duggar-daughter questionnaire?

it might be now after the whole Derick thing I doubt it was when Jeremy got the papers. makes you think if Derick and Ben got the papers now pre getting to know the girls stage like jeremy did and not when they were already courting do you think they would still get in? 

2 hours ago, CaricatureQualities said:

You mean calling Jeremy a narcissist? I don't mean it in the clinical sense or as a fact, I just think he has a lot of self-admiration and agree with others who think he is a bit full of himself. It would be interesting to hear an actual psychologist's thoughts on him but I am not that. :my_smile:

Naw, we don't want to hear an actual psychologist's opinion about it.  :)  I have a couple friends who are actual psychologists and one who is a professor of psychology.  One even reads here, but never posts.  They all seem to go on the same rant of there is no classification of narcissist.  There may be a person with NPD, but so and so does not fit the clinical definition.  They can really go on rants about that particular armchair diagnosis.  :naughty:

5 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Naw, we don't want to hear an actual psychologist's opinion about it.  :)  I have a couple friends who are actual psychologists and one who is a professor of psychology.  One even reads here, but never posts.  They all seem to go on the same rant of there is no classification of narcissist.  There may be a person with NPD, but so and so does not fit the clinical definition.  They can really go on rants about that particular armchair diagnosis.  :naughty:

Oh see, this rant is was I was wondering about.  It seems like everyone uses this armchair diagnosis, and I have no idea what it supposedly means (the information I have found makes almost everyone fit).  So I was hoping for more information :)

7 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

So am I. I've always wanted shelves and shelves of books or a room for all of my books. Its hasn't happened maybe never because I have so many. That office with all those shelves! My books would be so happy in a room like that.  I can't be too annoyed with Jeremy's treatment of his books. The taking pictures and showing people is a little weird. But the rest is pretty much how I treat my books. They are my babies. I don't like to loan them out because what if they don't come back in the same condition I loaned it in? What if they lose it?  When we had to evacuate due to a fire I had a hard time deciding which ones to grab. I couldn't take them all but how could I leave some behind? Thankfully the evacuation was canceled. Yes, I realize how insane that is. 

I litreally own 100s of books. Until a year or so, most were kept on a large entertainment stand. Since the recent little flooding I had, most are now in storage. Kind of breaks my heart, cause I love to read and have my books near me. Then again, I'm single with no kids. I think Jeremy will be in for a shock when the baby comes along in more ways than one. Honestly, I'm surprised he didn't go for the book cases  with doors.

I want the library from Beauty and the Beast, so I had serious shelf envy. 

6 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Oh, the books. When I was younger, I was ALL about the books. 

Now that I'm well into the last half of my life, I'm culling my book collection like mad. We are getting ready to sell our house and move into a space that's less than half the square-footage we have now. That is a temporary move, until we retire and move to England. It would cost WAY too much to ship all those books. So we've both narrowed down our book collections to two small (12x12x16) boxes each. When the time comes to load our skid for shipping to the UK, those boxes may go, as well. They can always be replaced - and likely will be, by purchasing them at thrift stores. 

I usually buy my books from thrift stores. I usually donate some back or give them away elsewhere. If I ever move back home to NL, it's going to be very hard for me to decide which ones to keep or donate. I dread it LOL.

49 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Oh see, this rant is was I was wondering about.  It seems like everyone uses this armchair diagnosis, and I have no idea what it supposedly means (the information I have found makes almost everyone fit).  So I was hoping for more information :)

You're right the characteristics listed - we all have all or many of them to a certain degree.  It's the clinical level that makes a difference and according to them it's a matter of not just knowing the words, but knowing the clinical manifestations that indicate a true personality disorder.  It's kind of you have to have seen 50 true NPD cases before you can adequately tell NPD from garden variety jerk.  The professor says many of her students suffer from over diagnosis in the beginning of their clinical practice because they simply go down the check list.

Ok...so why is the show on again tonight?? Has there been an explanation for this? Just saw a lil clip of Austin and Joy fixing up their house. Quickly turned the channel. Can't be giving them an extra rating. Not trying to hate but...Austin should have had that house done long before they got married. He knew he was ready to get married YEARS ago.

5 hours ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

I have never understood why Jeremy is a pastor in Laredo, Texas, on the border with Mexico and does not speak Spanish. I mean, what?

So my take on it is he is a pastor at a random, very small church is because  he is not a seminary educated person. He is a pastor at a little church plant. He may read every book in his library, but he does not have an MDiv (as far as we know). He would be hard pressed to apply for a pastorate at most churches, even fundie ones.

1 hour ago, Tangy Bee said:

Ok...so why is the show on again tonight?? Has there been an explanation for this? Just saw a lil clip of Austin and Joy fixing up their house. Quickly turned the channel. Can't be giving them an extra rating. Not trying to hate but...Austin should have had that house done long before they got married. He knew he was ready to get married YEARS ago.

pretty sure he had to sell his fifth fixer upper before he could start on a home for him and his bride and no way was that boy going to wait for another whole house to to be done before he got married. remember his dad made him promise not to get married until After the fifth house was sold. you think he was going to wait another six months or so to get married and do all that was forbidden to him before. I think not. 

now I just keep picturing him on the couch with the pillow over his lap during the strictest parent episode when the one teenager they had taken in was wearing some outfit Terry did not find appropriate. 

Maybe most young people are narcissist, perhaps we are born that way as a survival technique . As we age we should get over ourselves I think.  True narcissism   Is a dreadfully serious issue and destroys lives.  

49 minutes ago, meowfundiecatz said:

So my take on it is he is a pastor at a random, very small church is because  he is not a seminary educated person. He is a pastor at a little church plant. He may read every book in his library, but he does not have an MDiv (as far as we know). He would be hard pressed to apply for a pastorate at most churches, even fundie ones.

according to Wiki he has a Business administration degree   and his church is called Grace community.

@IvycoveredtowerI believe their church, Grace Community Church (Laredo) is a plant from a church of the same name  from San Antonio. He has a regular degree, yes, not a degree from a Christian seminary. Both Ben and Derick are taking actual seminary classes (although Derick's work at Cross church counts towards credits at specific seminaries). Ben attends Moody online .

He would have a difficult time getting a pastorate without a Masters of Divinity degree at the majority of churches. Even IFB churches really prefer a Bible or Preaching degree (like from The Crown College or Bob Jones). I know he has said that he "accepted the call to preaching" but aside from his personal reading and perhaps a mentorship, he has no degree for Christian  ministry. And IMO, most of his preaching sounds like other Reformed preachers he follows, like John Piper and John MacArthur. Hopefully that adds to what I posted before and maybe clarifies a bit as well.

1 hour ago, Ivycoveredtower said:

pretty sure he had to sell his fifth fixer upper before he could start on a home for him and his bride and no way was that boy going to wait for another whole house to to be done before he got married. remember his dad made him promise not to get married until After the fifth house was sold. you think he was going to wait another six months or so to get married and do all that was forbidden to him before. I think not. 

now I just keep picturing him on the couch with the pillow over his lap during the strictest parent episode when the one teenager they had taken in was wearing some outfit Terry did not find appropriate. 

Ok thanks. I forgot about him having to sell the other houses first. I would have saved that 5th one for myself. Screw his dad for insisting it be 5. Yep, I remember that episode with the pillow. That other dude was clearly use to the scenery.

I prefer a minister/priest/pastor to be educated. Then when they're explaining something, they can go back to the Greek or Hebrew origin of the word.

11 hours ago, meowfundiecatz said:

Is he not working towards this?

18 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

Ugh.  I used to be a Catholic--in Texas, no less.  My protestant friends tried to convert me & tell me that Catholics weren't really Christian and that we would go to hell.  They meant this to be a kindness, by the way.

I am an atheist now (or more specifically, I am an apathist) but reading the words to his anti-Catholic sermon still stung. 

My best friend's husband is very anti-Catholic. I am Catholic.... 

11 hours ago, meowfundiecatz said:

@IvycoveredtowerI believe their church, Grace Community Church (Laredo) is a plant from a church of the same name  from San Antonio. He has a regular degree, yes, not a degree from a Christian seminary. Both Ben and Derick are taking actual seminary classes (although Derick's work at Cross church counts towards credits at specific seminaries). Ben attends Moody online .

He would have a difficult time getting a pastorate without a Masters of Divinity degree at the majority of churches. Even IFB churches really prefer a Bible or Preaching degree (like from The Crown College or Bob Jones). I know he has said that he "accepted the call to preaching" but aside from his personal reading and perhaps a mentorship, he has no degree for Christian  ministry. And IMO, most of his preaching sounds like other Reformed preachers he follows, like John Piper and John MacArthur. Hopefully that adds to what I posted before and maybe clarifies a bit as well.

I wonder if BS is still pursuing Moody? How come the show never covers issues that anyone is interested in? For example, the last show could have shown Jessa going to chez Duggar to play with the kids, so that Ben could have a quiet house to study or attend an online class. Oh, that's right, that was filmed in the Summer. Ben was probably on Summer break- *insert eye roll*.

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

My best friend's husband is very anti-Catholic. I am Catholic.... 

I am a former RC turned Unitarian. Last Sunday at services, our minister was talking about deed based Christian denominations (Catholic) vs salvation based denominations (Protestant). In my mind, I was really giving praise to the RCC, and then I went home and watched the Netflix docuseries, The Keepers- that quickly wiped out any positives I had.

Going back to the poster upstream asking about Anna, I definitely think that was her in the photo at the water party.  I also saw all the M kids there, including Meredith (who had to be rescued by Jenny during the water balloon fight).  

I had a hard time watching the parts of the episode with Jeremy.  So embarrassing. His library came out really well. I always wanted a library like that.  

Jessa's elimination diet gave me a bit of side eye, especially since she continued to eat eggs, which are a major allergen in kids/babies.  His eczema seems to be better in recent pictures so hopefully he outgrew it.  

It's weird seeing that next week we watch Kendra pick out her wedding dress when on the Bates show Tori is also picking out hers at the same salon, only 3-4 months later.  Do we really need more Joe/Kendra wedding prep? 

Joy/Austin really got the house together since that episode.  I had a little envy watching her clear her plate knowing that she was preggo already.  I had such terrible nausea with the last pregnancy that I refused to cook for most of my 1st trimester. Raw chicken would have sent me over the edge.  Lol. 

43 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I wonder if BS is still pursuing Moody? How come the show never covers issues that anyone is interested in? For example, the last show could have shown Jessa going to chez Duggar to play with the kids, so that Ben could have a quiet house to study or attend an online class. Oh, that's right, that was filmed in the Summer. Ben was probably on Summer break- *insert eye roll*.

I am a former RC turned Unitarian. Last Sunday at services, our minister was talking about deed based Christian denominations (Catholic) vs salvation based denominations (Protestant). In my mind, I was really giving praise to the RCC, and then I went home and watched the Netflix docuseries, The Keepers- that quickly wiped out any positives I had.

there are cover ups and sickos in every faith, but that does sound interesting. I don't excuse my religion, but its what I grew up with. I think my big problem with Salvation based denominations is that many think you are saved and you are going to heaven no matter what you do or how you behave (think Derick Dillard amongst others). I always thought if you were really saved, you would also do good deeds. For me the two go hand in hand. YOu can't have one without the other. 

9 minutes ago, JMO said:

Going back to the poster upstream asking about Anna, I definitely think that was her in the photo at the water party.  I also saw all the M kids there, including Meredith (who had to be rescued by Jenny during the water balloon fight).  

I had a hard time watching the parts of the episode with Jeremy.  So embarrassing. His library came out really well. I always wanted a library like that.  

Jessa's elimination diet gave me a bit of side eye, especially since she continued to eat eggs, which are a major allergen in kids/babies.  His eczema seems to be better in recent pictures so hopefully he outgrew it.  

It's weird seeing that next week we watch Kendra pick out her wedding dress when on the Bates show Tori is also picking out hers at the same salon, only 3-4 months later.  Do we really need more Joe/Kendra wedding prep? 

Joy/Austin really got the house together since that episode.  I had a little envy watching her clear her plate knowing that she was preggo already.  I had such terrible nausea with the last pregnancy that I refused to cook for most of my 1st trimester. Raw chicken would have sent me over the edge.  Lol. 

I love that library! 

2 hours ago, JMO said:

I also have a hard time with Jeremy and call him out = yet I get down voted. Just because I don't like how controlling or he manipulates everything around him....at least Ben hides it to a degree

Jessa i have no clue --- good on her if she is trying to improve her allergies...

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived