IGNORED

Counting on Season 4- Part 4: Duggar Time or Watching Paint Dry

samurai_sarah

I didn't really find J'Austin to be disrespectful abroad at all. They seemed nice and friendly to everyone, complementary about everything they visited and saw, and were embarrassed and apologetic about holding up the line trying to get tickets. 

I do think watching them interact was a little cringy. Austin's definitely not comfortable with PDA. But my husband isn't either and he's plenty emotive at home so who's to say. 

Joy is very take charge and confident. I like that she isn't wilty like we often see. Plus one to not minding that Austin's not excited about his pregnant wife having to live in a camper and drive somewhere to shower. I got kind of tired of hearing him complain too, but I can't say I blame him at all for wanting to get them in the real house asap. 

The fried possum and squirrel dumplings were, I'm 99% positive, a joke. Southern people like to make jokes about what's for dinner. My grandfather asks all the time what we're going to eat. "A frog leg?" he asks. "How bout dead chicken?" Anyway, we have always laughed between us about his bland food preferences. If something has too much something he'll say that it has a "wang" to it. I did a double take when Austin said "twang," because it was pretty close to a "papa-ism." I'm also ten thousand percent sure that papa has no idea what the word wang means as slang. 

Jinger and Jeremy seem really comfortable and happy. His ridiculous stretching to make her laugh was cute. Their house is beautiful and her siblings did a really good job upgrading her kitchen. Something novel for me is watching these adult Duggar kids stand around and debate/discuss something. When you get them in the TH they're so agreeable about each other, and we never really got to see them interact like that in 19kac. It's interesting to me to watch the dynamics at play. John David seems just as strong willed and opinionated as Jessa and Jana but they don't mention that much. Watching them be natural like that is what I'd like to see more of content-wise. 

I like Kendra, I just do. Her hair is amazing and I'm jealous of it. I also kind of want to pet it. It seemed to me that she had been specifying in a TH how her family and the Duggars are different, but they cut that part in editing. I would have liked to know what she said. Is the not saying I love you until engagement a Duggar rule? Maybe that's a Caldwell thing. 

Sorry, I'm low on snark for these episodes. My biggest snark moment was when they showed the Caldwells' wall and all the pictures were crooked. (ETA: Meaning no snark because I've got crooked pictures too)

Watching Joy and Austin ski was also interesting, but I've never been skiing myself so I'd be probably way more of a hot mess. Austin could have really hurt her crashing into her on the ground, glad that didn't happen. 

I didn't know the terms seed and tee pad so I probably would have said something stupid too. Maybe not as awkward as Jed or Jer's response though. That I wasn't prepared for. Ick.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

The fried possum and squirrel dumplings were, I'm 99% positive, a joke. Southern people like to make jokes about what's for dinner. My grandfather asks all the time what we're going to eat. "A frog leg?" he asks. "How bout dead chicken?" Anyway, we have always laughed between us about his bland food preferences. If something has too much something he'll say that it has a "wang" to it. I did a double take when Austin said "twang," because it was pretty close to a "papa-ism." I'm also ten thousand percent sure that papa has no idea what the word wang means as slang. 

I'm Southern. Squirrel and dumplings have been on my table more than once. Frog legs are also a thing. I've eaten raccoon, rabbit, snake, and other more commonly hunted animals (duck, goose, turkey, deer). I haven't (knowingly) eaten possum, but my neighbors growing up ate it all the time.

As for the twang/wang - our family has always said "whang" - see definition 3 here:  https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whang

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I'm Southern. Squirrel and dumplings have been on my table more than once. Frog legs are also a thing. I've eaten raccoon, rabbit, snake, and other more commonly hunted animals (duck, goose, turkey, deer). 

As for the twang/wang - our family has always said "whang" - see definition 3 here:  https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whang

Well lawdy mercy that may be what he's saying. I'll have to tell my dad and sister. He says so many funny things, that one may have slipped through as sense. Papa says squirrel meat is quite good. I'm just going to take his word for it though. :)

15 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Lauren, Kendra's sister, is the chaperone.  Kendra needs more chaperones because the desires are stronger.  They repeatedly ask for what they're comfortable doing while taking the pictures.  Hands on her waist is too close to the line.

bold mine

Is that true?  I didn't watch it but am really curious----did they really say that they needed more chaperones than the normal Duggar couple because they had stronger desires? Or am I misunderstanding?

4 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

bold mine

Is that true?  I didn't watch it but am really curious----did they really say that they needed more chaperones than the normal Duggar couple because they had stronger desires? Or am I misunderstanding?

Nope. She definitely said that. My eyes still hurt they rolled back so hard :roll:

7 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

bold mine

To clarify, she was speaking in a general way, not just about herself and Joe. To me it seemed like she was saying any engaged couple would have stronger desires so the importance of chaperones is even bigger.

7 minutes ago, Satan'sFortress said:

bold mine

She said they needed to be chaperoned more because the desires are stronger now that they’re engaged. I don’t think Kendra was implying their desires are stronger than other Duggar couples (although they definitely seem to be more intense about following physical boundaries than the other recent couples). 

3 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

She said they needed to be chaperoned more because the desires are stronger now that they’re engaged. I don’t think Kendra was implying their desires are stronger than other Duggar couples (although they definitely seem to be more intense about following physical boundaries than the other recent couples). 

I agree. I just want to scream PIPE THE FUCK DOWN YOU GUYS. YOU ACT LIKE YOU'RE GOING TO GET PREGNANT BY BREATHING THE SAME AIR. DAMN.

1 minute ago, kachuu said:

I agree. I just want to scream PIPE THE FUCK DOWN YOU GUYS. YOU ACT LIKE YOU'RE GOING TO GET PREGNANT BY BREATHING THE SAME AIR. DAMN.

Yes! My eyes rolled all the way back into my head when Joe wouldn’t even put his hand on her waist, despite Kendra’s sister even saying it was fine. As if he would be overcome by desires from touching her waist and they would start making out or having sex in front of Lauren, the photographer, AND the film crew. 

3 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

Yes! My eyes rolled all the way back into my head when Joe wouldn’t even put his hand on her waist, despite Kendra’s sister even saying it was fine. As if he would be overcome by desires from touching her waist and they would start making out or having sex in front of Lauren, the photographer, AND the film crew. 

And that is the sad part too because they aren't allowed any kind of touching without this unrealistic fear. Ridiculous!

7 minutes ago, Mayluka said:

He was probably trying to avoid having a very obvious woodie in his engagement pics and on tv :-). 

5 minutes ago, kachuu said:

And that is the sad part too because they aren't allowed any kind of touching without this unrealistic fear. Ridiculous!

Exactly! There are so many articles and blog posts written recently that describe the damaging effects of the no-physical-touch-of-any-kind purity culture. Especially for the women, the shame, guilt, and fear associated with physical intimacy (even once married) has caused serious issues in their marriages and sex lives.

1 minute ago, Cheetah said:

He was probably trying to avoid having a very obvious woodie in his engagement pics and on tv :-). 

This was definitely my thinking when I watched it last night, lol. One of the many reasons I’m so glad my life isn’t documented on tv! I would hate having to be so self-conscious all the time.

13 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Jinger has definitely played tennis more than once or twice, but she is definitely a beginner (speaking as someone who played tennis for 8 years). I'm surprised at her outfit. That's as short as I would go when playing tennis. But then again, I'm super body conscious. 

It was nice not to see Jinger wearing shorts to play tennis. She is slowly transforming from a pigeon into a swan. I think it will take years for her to really come out of the Michelle Duggar mindset but with hope and the Vuolos, Jinger will come out semi normal.

15 hours ago, lale2904 said:

Am I the only one who died when Jed(?) responded to the "seed" question with "the seed of Jim Bob and Michelle?" 

Also Jinger in that tennis outfit. I'm actually shocked they put that on the show. 

She looked good, but she always looks good. 

7 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

I admit I caved in and I watched the episode. Mostly for Jinger and to see if Joy's birth had an announcement. 

Go Jinger. She is looking so very happy, and that's what stood out for me the most. Good for her.

I want to know when Jinger will take the reins and decorate in the style she wants. This is the second time Pushy Jessa controls what Jinger and Jeremy's home will look like and decorate it the way she, Jessa wants it. Come on Jinger should be able to decorate her own house how she and Jeremy want it to look like. Jessa is just too bossy. I would put her in her place fast.

Even though they have all those relationship stages that are essentially the same thing (with the exception of engagement meaning a visible ring), the Bates are better with regards to the whole physical contact thing. They front hug and say I love you (almost) from the get-go.

1 minute ago, mango_fandango said:

Even though they have all those relationship stages that are essentially the same thing (with the exception of engagement meaning a visible ring), the Bates are better with regards to the whole physical contact thing. They front hug and say I love you (almost) from the get-go.

It would be interesting to see an honest account of a heartbroken fundie. Like, yeah i cared too much and got hurt. Instead of "amicably going separate ways"

27 minutes ago, kachuu said:

I seriously doubt that any of our Fundie offspring gets any type of sex education from their parents prior to a day or two before their wedding. Josh and Jim Bob's uncomfortable talk about how people fit together like Legos had been greatly discussed on this forum.  With little to no information, I can see how some might draw the conclusion that breathing the same air gets you pregnant. I knew a mom who had her older high school aged daughter convinced that kissing leads to babies- and she wasn't even Fundie.

When the girls get their first period, I'm guessing there's some conversation about needing to be extra modest and being more careful to avoid males, until God sends you father a Godly partner to enter into a Godly courtship with.

1 minute ago, Audrey2 said:

I seriously doubt that any of our Fundie offspring gets any type of sex education from their parents prior to a day or two before their wedding. Josh and Jim Bob's uncomfortable talk about how people fit together like Legos had been greatly discussed on this forum.  With little to no information, I can see how some might draw the conclusion that breathing the same air gets you pregnant. I knew a mom who had her older high school aged daughter convinced that kissing leads to babies- and she wasn't even Fundie.

When the girls get their first period, I'm guessing there's some conversation about needing to be extra modest and being more careful to avoid males, until God sends you father a Godly partner to enter into a Godly courtship with.

I think we actually have discussed this topic before. I believe there is some type of super-fundie book they pass around. Or we speculate that gets passed around. I can't remember the name of it.

At the same time, we don't know what happens behind closed doors as far as conversations go. They clearly figure out how to make babies thought (I'm sorry- i couldn't resist making this comment LOL)

7 minutes ago, MsSourPickle said:

I want to know when Jinger will take the reins and decorate in the style she wants. This is the second time Pushy Jessa controls what Jinger and Jeremy's home will look like and decorate it the way she, Jessa wants it. Come on Jinger should be able to decorate her own house how she and Jeremy want it to look like. Jessa is just too bossy. I would put her in her place fast.

Family habits die hard. I know this from my own family. While I'm a fully functional woman, who has been responsible for the safety and well-being of other people's children, when I see my family, I'm thought of as much less capable. The Duggar seem very overbearing, and Jessa's relationship with Jinger seems like one of the most forceful. I know in my family, my younger sister has a strong personality, and it's easier to go along with her,  then change things later, than it is to stand up to her for every decision that can be changed (as in we'll put this chair here.) In 40 years, I've learned to choose my battles!

56 minutes ago, kachuu said:

I think we actually have discussed this topic before. I believe there is some type of super-fundie book they pass around. Or we speculate that gets passed around. I can't remember the name of it.

At the same time, we don't know what happens behind closed doors as far as conversations go. They clearly figure out how to make babies thought (I'm sorry- i couldn't resist making this comment LOL)

Ah, yes. Intended for Pleasure: Sex Technique and Sexual Fulfillment in Christian Marriage. It read it out of curiosity, expecting it to be pretty 'WTF,' but it was actually scientifically accurate (ETA: For the most part. Obviously, he's very against birth control) and surprisingly focused on both partners enjoying themselves. 

5 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Ah, yes. Intended for Pleasure: Sex Technique and Sexual Fulfillment in Christian Marriage. It read it out of curiosity, expecting it to be pretty 'WTF,' but it was actually scientifically accurate and surprisingly focused on both partners enjoying themselves. 

Thanks! I was off in a google rabbit hole trying to find the book. Also, don't google fundie sex book :dramallama-nanner:

I totally forgot Counting On started again. But, that's OK because I refuse to give up my Monday night TV of VanderPump Rules and Summer House on BRAVO.

On 2/24/2018 at 7:52 PM, VelociRapture said:

John and Jana continue to not court. Or be on social media. Or live like normal 28 year olds.

- The promo photos for the new season continue to be weird af.

THIS.

Someone asked why /when they quit the uniform and frumpers. When they wanted to make more money. Like the Bates. Frump doesn't pay.

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived