IGNORED

John David and Abbie 10: Selling Clothes on Poshmark to Make Ends Meet

nelliebelle1197

On 1/28/2022 at 5:51 PM, patsymae said:

My cousins who are nurses did the same thing. One weekend night shift per week to keep up their license, keep up with what was going on, and keep up contacts and a good reputation. Kids grown and they all went back to good jobs.

In order to renew my license, I have to be able to provide proof that I have either worked 500 hours in two years or be enrolled in college courses pertaining to nursing.  

Plus, it's important to still be you--not just mom.

And nursing charges so fast--you need to keep up with things.  But, like I tell all the new nurses, one thing has never changes--the best care comes from the ❤  (yes, I had to put in a shameless plug for how much I love what I do).

My kids' school always does a Valentine's Day fundraiser.  I'm in cahoots with the school secretary, and I get the number of kids who didn't get anything from a fellow student.  I then buy each student a half-dozen cookies and have the secretary write, From a Friend on the card.  I was always the outcast as a kid.  If I can help a kid feel loved, I'm gonna do it.

Edited by 3splenty
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 41

I am not sure what the school is doing for Valentine's Day this year. It's kind of hit or miss now with Covid. 
I haven't bought ANY valentines for my son to give out this year (and I'm a firm believer in "everyone gets one") too. But last year? or maybe the year before? He decided to sign his card with the nickname for his name. Think signing Joe instead of Joseph "Because that's just TOO many letters to write Momma." 

(fair enough kiddo) 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 5
  • Love 3

18 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I am not sure what the school is doing for Valentine's Day this year. It's kind of hit or miss now with Covid. 
I haven't bought ANY valentines for my son to give out this year (and I'm a firm believer in "everyone gets one") too. But last year? or maybe the year before? He decided to sign his card with the nickname for his name. Think signing Joe instead of Joseph "Because that's just TOO many letters to write Momma." 

(fair enough kiddo) 

Third grade my youngest signed all his "Ed, Edd, and Eddy."  Apparently when I told him to sign the cards I didn't specify he use his own name.  Sigh.

We had just moved and started a new school and his teacher called me and was concerned.  I'm like no reason to worry, not all jokes land, he knows his name.  Then she told me he was putting Ed, Edd, and Eddy on his schoolwork as well and was worried he had issues with his sense of self.  I told him to knock it off and he did.  Done.  Guess how he signed my Mother's Day card that year?

He's still funny and I'm sure where ever she is she's still humorless and clenched.  

38 minutes ago, 3splenty said:

My kids' school always does a Valentine's Day fundraiser.  I'm in cahoots with the school secretary, and I get the number of kids who didn't get anything from a fellow student.  I then buy each student a half-dozen cookies and have the secretary write, From a Friend on the card.  I was always the outcast as a kid.  If I can help a kid feel loved, I'm gonna do it.

I'm shocked this is still an issue with V Day cards in school.  Even when I was a kid, back when original Josie and the Pussycats cards were au currant there was always a rule that you bring for everyone or no one.

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 8

I am as cheap as a Duggar used to be, and love chocolate, so I do really like the day after Valentine's Candy sales.  😅

When I was in school if you gave out Valentine's Cards you had to give them to everyone in class. In third grade I had a huge crush on one little boy. So I homemade all of my cards, so his could be just a little extra special. I was SO nervous to put the card in his box. But sadly he was Jehovah Witness so couldn’t accept the cards. I was devastated. Looking back I feel so bad for the Jehovah Witness kids who had to miss out on the class celebrations, but were at school for them! How awful. I hope they at least ate any treats. 

Last year of elementary school holiday parties were a really difficult Covid  hit for the tweens in my family. We bought extra candy, tried to do little special things for each usual school celebration, they missed, but not at all the same. 

Edited by Mama Mia
  • Upvote 8

32 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I'm shocked this is still an issue with V Day cards in school.  Even when I was a kid, back when original Josie and the Pussycats cards were au currant there was always a rule that you bring for everyone or no one.

I think it was likely a separate thing. Our high school sold carnations at Valentine's Day and Candy Canes at Christmas and you could "send" them to your friends. (I went to an all girls high school next door to the all boys school so you could send them to either school). In that case - not everyone got them - and some people got a lot. 
I will say - the guys that I have kept in FB touch with from way back then - were the guys who sent these things to all their female friends in addition to whomever they were dating - so that no one felt left out. And they are still honestly the NICEST guys. 

• Love 11

2 minutes ago, Meggo said:

I think it was likely a separate thing. Our high school sold carnations at Valentine's Day and Candy Canes at Christmas and you could "send" them to your friends. (I went to an all girls high school next door to the all boys school so you could send them to either school). In that case - not everyone got them - and some people got a lot. 
I will say - the guys that I have kept in FB touch with from way back then - were the guys who sent these things to all their female friends in addition to whomever they were dating - so that no one felt left out. And they are still honestly the NICEST guys. 

That's so sweet.  Yeah, I was talking about little kids with the cartoon cards.  I went to boarding school and they were too busy trying to keep us from having sex in the linen closets, stairwells, and window ledges to enable romantic gestures for v-day.

• Haha 1

@JDuggs My daughter was in college getting her bachelors and wasn't sure what to do. Then she started watching parks and rec and said she wanted to be Leslie Knope when she grew up. She got her master's in public admin and is now working for local government. I always tell her when she's president I want to be like Michelle Obama's mom and come help with my future grand-kids at the White House. 😉  I love how that character has inspired so many women. 

• Upvote 7
  • Love 13

1 hour ago, Meggo said:

Yes, it's middle school and high school.  My oldest daughter went to a different school and she hardly ever got anything.  One of the popular kids made the comment to my daughter that "it must suck to have no one who actually likes you."  After that, I started my tradition.  

This was 5 years ago.  Daughter took a year off after high school.  She is now in college, on the dean's list, has a group of friends, and is representing the school on the national level as a freshman, and studying music.  Popular girl got fired from her job for not being responsible or respectful, dropped out of college because she felt her "talents weren't being appreciated" and blames everyone else for not "making her be successful." I learned this because I judged a speech meet with her mom.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 8

Personally, I think Easter candy is where it's at.  I am jonesing for a bag of cadbury mini eggs and a russell stover coconut creme egg.

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

9 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Personally, I think Easter candy is where it's at.  I am jonesing for a bag of cadbury mini eggs and a russell stover coconut creme egg.

You mean the easter stuff isn't out where you live yet?  They're available here now, the Hot Cross Buns are brought out on boxing day.

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1

Honestly, I wish there was a separate holiday for each month, so we don't get Halloween stuff in August, Christmas in September, and Easter stuff in January. 

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 12

17 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

I have never seen these, and I am a little sad about that! They are going on my (newly formed) list of Things I Need to Find. 😃

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, AnywhereButHere said:

I have never seen these, and I am a little sad about that! They are going on my (newly formed) list of Things I Need to Find. 😃

They are my favorites next to Reese's peanut butter eggs. I grew up in Kansas City when there were Russell Stover stores, and Mom and I would go in for coconut tingalings, which are just chocolates with coconut mixed in. It was so special to receive a couple of the eggs in my Easter basket.

At my store, there are two wooden skids in the back hallway stacked with Easter candy. (Yes, there is a Back, but it is not the Narnia you were hoping for.) Currently, some bags of Cadbury mini eggs are mixed into the Valentine candy, but the rest will go out Monday night. We do have Pączki over by the floral department, though. Seems way too early for those this year, but I like when there are extras about to reach sell by date; they are brought to the break room. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2022 at 8:20 PM, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Agreed! I love me some mini eggs, but have to pass on the creme eggs. Give me a Cadbury caramel egg and I am all there! They really shouldn't be allowed at the checkout stand at my local drugstore, I buy one every time I'm in there and don't care that they're $1.75!

• Upvote 5

The Boehm's candy factory (Boehmscandies.com) is about 20 minutes from where I live.  

I was the leader of Pibbles Girl the Younger's Girl Scout troop.  When they were 8 year old Brownies, I made the executive decision that the extra cookie money would go to a tour and a class at Boehm's.  The next year, I offered them the choice of using their cookie money (after paying for camping and troop supplies) on Build-a-Bear, Boehm's Candy tour and class, or a water park.  Boehm's won 8-1 (my daughter wanted to go to Wild Waves).

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Pibblesmiles said:

The Boehm's candy factory (Boehmscandies.com) is about 20 minutes from where I live.  

I was the leader of Pibbles Girl the Younger's Girl Scout troop.  When they were 8 year old Brownies, I made the executive decision that the extra cookie money would go to a tour and a class at Boehm's.  The next year, I offered them the choice of using their cookie money (after paying for camping and troop supplies) on Build-a-Bear, Boehm's Candy tour and class, or a water park.  Boehm's won 8-1 (my daughter wanted to go to Wild Waves).

OT but your username makes me ridiculously happy.  Pibble smiles are some of my favorite things in the world!  :tw_heart:

• Love 1

On 2/8/2022 at 5:57 AM, Someone Out There said:

You mean the easter stuff isn't out where you live yet?  They're available here now, the Hot Cross Buns are brought out on boxing day.

They're out, but to get them I would need to get in my car and drive to the store.  It's cold outside and so warm in my blanket on the couch.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 6

4 hours ago, Pibblesmiles said:

We are totally neighbors. 😬 Boehms is two towns over from me too.

Edited by neuroticcat
Typos
  • Thank You 1

So I’m going to be seeing my GD for a couple of days next week. Since she lives in So America where there are no conversation hearts, I thought I’d pick up a small box to give to her. Well as of last week, there were no hearts in Target or my local grocery store. All the other VD candy was on display. SO, I went online. The candy hearts were ridiculously expensive on Amazon, and wouldn’t even arrive in time for VD, WTH. Supply chain issue? I could buy delicious Sees for  what those hearts cost. And of course, you couldn’t just buy1 small box. I could buy a 1 lb sack for $9.99, nope. My daughter’s reply: “Mom those hearts are gross and no one wants to eat them.” It’s the novelty -

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

So I’m going to be seeing my GD for a couple of days next week. Since she lives in So America where there are no conversation hearts, I thought I’d pick up a small box to give to her. Well as of last week, there were no hearts in Target or my local grocery store. All the other VD candy was on display. SO, I went online. The candy hearts were ridiculously expensive on Amazon, and wouldn’t even arrive in time for VD, WTH. Supply chain issue? I could buy delicious Sees for  what those hearts cost. And of course, you couldn’t just buy1 small box. I could buy a 1 lb sack for $9.99, nope. My daughter’s reply: “Mom those hearts are gross and no one wants to eat them.” It’s the novelty -

You mean the ones that taste like toothpaste flavored Tums?  I'm with your daughter on this one!

a-research-scientist-trained-an-al-neural-network-to-generate-43250893.png

• Haha 12
  • I Agree 1

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

All the other VD candy was on display.

Uhm... this took me half a moment to decipher, lol. I'm about your age.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 7
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Bobology said:

I did question my use of VD, but was too lazy to change it out. 😂

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Bobology said:

I don't want to know where that candy has been or what it tastes like!

• Haha 6