IGNORED

John David and Abbie 10: Selling Clothes on Poshmark to Make Ends Meet

nelliebelle1197

I'm glad they are all okay. Abbie should be ready to work in case of another accident. I hope there are no more crashes. 

• Upvote 3

Did you know Abbie was a pilot now too? According to that People article, she got her licence in 2020.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, Ash said:

Did you know Abbie was a pilot now too? According to that People article, she got her licence in 2020.

Maybe she can give JD some lessons, I heard he wants to be a pilot.

• Haha 16

3 hours ago, Cat Damon said:

Maybe she can give JD some lessons, I heard he wants to be a pilot.

She got the license to train as a student pilot.  I assume that's like a learners permit.

On 8/16/2021 at 11:35 AM, SassyPants said:

Yes! However, skills diminish  without actual practice, so being unemployed for a long period of time would make returning to nursing very, very difficult. However, I think Abbie worked in a SNF(nursing home), which requires fewer tangible, critical skills, and is an LVN, again diminishing the number of higher level skills required ( and also fewer job opportunities).

One of the best parts of a nursing career is the flexibility it offers. Abbie could work one off hours shift a week, which would require little to no babysitting, add to the coffers, keep her skills up and her foot in the door. If she’s not doing this, she has very shortsighted thinking. 

My sister is a nurse and when she was a SAHM she worked one weekend shift every other week at a nursing home strictly to keep her skills up so she had a job waiting for her when she was ready to re-enter the work force.  It's a smart thing to do in that field.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 2

3 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

She got the license to train as a student pilot.  I assume that's like a learners permit.

My sister is a nurse and when she was a SAHM she worked one weekend shift every other week at a nursing home strictly to keep her skills up so she had a job waiting for her when she was ready to re-enter the work force.  It's a smart thing to do in that field.

Absolutely. When my husband”s company transferred us 20 years into our careers, I would have had to return to the overnight shift at our new locale, so I took a job in the critical care, pediatric pool. I didnt have health care benefits, but in lieu, I got to set my own schedule and was paid at a per diem rate. For the next 15 years I worked as much or as little as I wanted. Nursing is a great career for part time, flexible work. If Abbie isn’t working, she is being really short sighted. She could pick up one evening or weekend shift and Gracie wouldn’t be affected at all. Plus, wasn’t Abbie’s specialty geriatrics? There’s so much need for people with her skills. But alas, the entitlement is strong in this group.

• Upvote 16

On 1/27/2022 at 6:55 AM, Grace987 said:

People magazine picked up JDs plane crash

Why was jd in a plane he isn’t a pilot is he? 

• Haha 7

All I can think is if It turns out JD was somehow responsible, in an irresponsible kind of way,  if I was Jill I’d be watching my back, hard core. This is looking like some Disney or Horror show hex where they go after each Duggar in birth order.  

• Upvote 14
  • Bless Your Heart 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 18
  • Love 1

Perhaps a broken fuel gauge…umm, don’t pilots keep logs, and wouldn’t the log contain information as to when the plane was last fueled, how many miles flown since that refueling, the weight of the plane both loaded and prior?  And wouldn’t checking the log and doing calcs be part of a preflight checklist? 

Edited by SassyPants
  • Upvote 9

On 1/27/2022 at 2:01 PM, SassyPants said:

Absolutely. When my husband”s company transferred us 20 years into our careers, I would have had to return to the overnight shift at our new locale, so I took a job in the critical care, pediatric pool. I didnt have health care benefits, but in lieu, I got to set my own schedule and was paid at a per diem rate. For the next 15 years I worked as much or as little as I wanted. Nursing is a great career for part time, flexible work. If Abbie isn’t working, she is being really short sighted. She could pick up one evening or weekend shift and Gracie wouldn’t be affected at all. Plus, wasn’t Abbie’s specialty geriatrics? There’s so much need for people with her skills. But alas, the entitlement is strong in this group.

My cousins who are nurses did the same thing. One weekend night shift per week to keep up their license, keep up with what was going on, and keep up contacts and a good reputation. Kids grown and they all went back to good jobs.

• Upvote 13

19 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Perhaps a broken fuel gauge…umm, don’t pilots keep logs, and wouldn’t the log contain information as to when the plane was last fueled, how many miles flown since that refueling, the weight of the plane both loaded and prior?  And wouldn’t checking the log and doing calcs be part of a preflight checklist? 

The Lord is their preflight checklist. 

• Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 13

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Who hosted this "Galentine's" party that Esther Keyes Bates went to, and Abbie, Joy and Katey attended?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZnY_lYM5_S/

Love stories? Fun date ideas? A big Leslie (K)nope on this Galentine’s Day party! First of all, it should only be celebrated on 2/13. And it’s supposed to be a celebration of female friendship, not talking about the men in your lives.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

Love stories? Fun date ideas? A big Leslie (K)nope on this Galentine’s Day party! First of all, it should only be celebrated on 2/13. And it’s supposed to be a celebration of female friendship, not talking about the men in your lives.

What else do they have to talk about? 🤷‍♀️

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Oh that’s interesting. I thought for sure a Galantine would be the equivalent to a “Galan” which is generally a man making a massive effort to woo/compliment/please a woman. It implies being trimmed up nicely and a man can be “galant” without being romantically involved or interested in the people he treats that way. I didn’t realise that Galantine has a completely different meaning in English. 

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

Oh that’s interesting. I thought for sure a Galantine would be the equivalent to a “Galan” which is generally a man making a massive effort to woo/compliment/please a woman. It implies being trimmed up nicely and a man can be “galant” without being romantically involved or interested in the people he treats that way. I didn’t realise that Galantine has a completely different meaning in English. 

It's basically a chance for single ladies to feel special despite not having a "special someone."

Source: Have been single and celebrated Galentine's Day. It's a good movement. Promotes both female independence and interdependence on each other, rather than men 👍🏻

• Upvote 10

37 minutes ago, CaptainFunderpants said:

It's basically a chance for single ladies to feel special despite not having a "special someone."

Source: Have been single and celebrated Galentine's Day. It's a good movement. Promotes both female independence and interdependence on each other, rather than men 👍🏻

I see. Valentine’s Day is really not a thing here, even though supermarkets and florists try to push it the last couple of years. Most people just celebrate their “starting a relationship” day or wedding anniversary for romantic purposes. And apart from that I think we do a good job in acknowledging friendships and other important relationships. 
I will say though, thanks to pregnancy hormones, I am all heart eyes about the idea of baking heart shaped cookies to gift to the people I love in my life on Valentine’s this year. Family & friends. [totally blame the baby and laying awake at night looking at Pinterest]

Is there a male equivalent? Because my guess would be most human being like to be acknowledged and get some love without having a special someone. The idea that only females “need/want” this sounds pretty much like a lukewarm substitute for the real thing, because females always crave a relationship mindset. Which I find pretty sad. Especially because statistically female friendship is much more stable, closer and involves more people and time spent with each other than male friendships. But this might be just true for my country, where males are less likely to have a set group of same sex extremely close friends. Which brings a lack of emotional support. People that have known you for decades, that you can open up with, that you can always rely on in hard times, that you can fall back on and just have decades of fun as well……

Edited by just_ordinary
  • Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

I see. Valentine’s Day is really not a thing here, even though supermarkets and florists try to push it the last couple of years. Most people just celebrate their “starting a relationship” day or wedding anniversary for romantic purposes. And apart from that I think we do a good job in acknowledging friendships and other important relationships. 
I will say though, thanks to pregnancy hormones, I am all heart eyes about the idea of baking heart shaped cookies to gift to the people I love in my life on Valentine’s this year. Family & friends. [totally blame the baby and laying awake at night looking at Pinterest]

Is there a male equivalent? Because my guess would be most human being like to be acknowledged and get some love without having a special someone. The idea that only females “need/want” this sounds pretty much like a lukewarm substitute for the real thing, because females always crave a relationship mindset. Which I find pretty sad. Especially because statistically female friendship is much more stable, closer and involves more people and time spent with each other than male friendships. But this might be just true for my country, where males are less likely to have a set group of same sex extremely close friends. Which brings a lack of emotional support. People that have known you for decades, that you can open up with, that you can always rely on in hard times, that you can fall back on and just have decades of fun as well……

My impression is that galantines is a pretty new idea, that most women don’t celebrate. I just found out it was supposed to be Feb 13 on this thread. The few times in real life I’d heard of women getting together for “galantines” it was on actual Valentine’s Day, and involved bars. 
I think it’s kind of a social media / Pinterest/ Instagram thing that catches on if it applies to you. The “Gal” stands for the slang term for women / girls - gal. And works because you have “gal pals” or female friends. I haven’t heard of a group of men friends doing this, at least with a name and a plan. In my US experience Valentine’s Day is celebrated by elementary school children giving out cards and candies and maybe having a little school party. Happy romantic Couples going on a date night and/or giving each other candy and gifts. The very recently single and teens being sad if they don’t have a date or finding one for the night  —- and ignored by pretty much everyone else. 

• Upvote 3

For some background on Galentines Day. The name of this “holiday” originated on the show Parks & Rec. The main character Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) was a big time feminist. She gathered all of her closest female friends on the day before Valentines Day to celebrate the importance of female friendships because they are just as important as romantic relationships. It wasn’t geared toward hearing about romantic love or ways to improve your romantic relationships. It seems that the name is being used now without people knowing the origin. I work in government and Leslie Knope is my hero!

• Upvote 19
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 5
  • Love 5

28 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

For some background on Galentines Day. The name of this “holiday” originated on the show Parks & Rec. The main character Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) was a big time feminist. She gathered all of her closest female friends on the day before Valentines Day to celebrate the importance of female friendships because they are just as important as romantic relationships. It wasn’t geared toward hearing about romantic love or ways to improve your romantic relationships. It seems that the name is being used now without people knowing the origin. I work in government and Leslie Knope is my hero!

I work in the private sector and Leslie Knope is my hero as well :tw_heart:

• Upvote 5

I used to make valentines for my kids, something a little different and special for each. I quite dislike the term "gal," but the sentiment sounds nice. I like the idea, though, that a valentine can just be a loving note or gift to anybody, and I suppose, being kind of a loner, I never thought of it as purely for couples, just a time for pretty papers and candy to share. 

I do remember the one year in grade school (1977) when kids were not forced to give valentines to everyone, which I personally still did anyway, I received only one, from the other kid who gave them to everyone. I made an extra special box that year, with vintage black and white graphics, and a few red heart stickers over it. And I brought it back home nearly empty. But at age 11 or 12, the other kids were already eager to start pairing off and also segmenting into sort of haves and have-nots. They got different messages from Judy Blume than did I. 🙃

• Sad 2
  • Love 8

1 minute ago, backyard sylph said:

I used to make valentines for my kids, something a little different and special for each. I quite dislike the term "gal," but the sentiment sounds nice. I like the idea, though, that a valentine can just be a loving note or gift to anybody, and I suppose, being kind of a loner, I never thought of it as purely for couples, just a time for pretty papers and candy to share. 

I do remember the one year in grade school (1977) when kids were not forced to give valentines to everyone, which I personally still did anyway, I received only one, from the other kid who gave them to everyone. I made an extra special box that year, with vintage black and white graphics, and a few red heart stickers over it. And I brought it back home nearly empty. But at age 11 or 12, the other kids were already eager to start pairing off and also segmenting into sort of haves and have-nots. They got different messages from Judy Blume than did I. 🙃

I find the term gal very grating as well, despite liking the sentiment of this day.

For me while Valentines is certainly a couples thing, as a kid it was a great excuse to get a box of Fannie May chocolates from my dad in the giant elaborate heart shaped box, and as an adult a good excuse to give the same to my kids.  

Valentines was when the differences between one of my sisters and I were most apparent.  She loved meltaways and didn't care at all about the box, I wanted the fancy box and didn't care that I wouldn't eat half of the assortment inside.  She was substance over style from the start and I'm still not all the way there yet.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 3

Oh, I'm torn between those two ways of being, I do love a pretty box, but I'd want as much candy as I could have, without bits in them that are annoying, like raisins, maybe. 

My dad gave me six roses one year and told me that I would receive a full dozen someday from a man who loved me. I don't remember if my husband ever gave me a dozen roses, but he did splash out on birthday gifts. 

• Love 3

24 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

Oh, I'm torn between those two ways of being, I do love a pretty box, but I'd want as much candy as I could have, without bits in them that are annoying, like raisins, maybe. 

Fortunately I don't recall raisins as they horrify me, but anything with nougat, nuts (except pecans), or any kind of cream except buttercream was a no go for me.  Fortunately my mom loved those, so even after their divorce she benefited from my dad's candy purchases!  I planned to keep up the tradition with my kids but most years Fannie May was well beyond my budget so the little Russel Stouffer heart boxes from Walgreens it was!

Last year the day after V day when they were all marked down I bought myself a red velvet heart box and was my own Valentine.  Although since my mom is no longer alive I just threw the yucky ones out right away, so they don't sit there masquerading as deliciousness.

I don't usually tell people Valentine's Day always makes me miss my dad, because it sounds creepy if you don't know that I'm actually just pining for someone else to foot the bill on fancy chocolates.  

Edited by HerNameIsBuffy
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 9

Nougat in a box chocolate is annoying and unfair, I think. I do like the nuts, and coconut, and all the caramels. 

As I work in a grocery store these days, I keep my eye on the promotional aisle and strike the moment markdown signs go up, because they don't last long. 

"I miss my dad footing the bill for fancy chocolates" versus "I miss my dad because he used to pay for the chocolates," that's just one of life's many little subtleties. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha 5