IGNORED

Counting on Season 4- Part 4: Duggar Time or Watching Paint Dry

samurai_sarah

The area they went to in Switzerland is beautiful! I've been there 3 times. But it is sooooo expensive there! They really had the most luxurious honeymoon so far of all the Duggars just because  Switzerland is so expensive.

Does anyone else think that Switzerland is on top of the list of so many fundies because of Calvin? Kelly Bates said in one the bringing up bates videos that she wants to go to Switzerland as well.

Funny that, because none of them wants to visit Germany, the birth land of protestants, Luther.... . They kind of dance around Germany, Duggars have been to the UK, France, Italy, Switzerland, but not Germany, lol.

My mother used to restore old books and used to work in an archive where they had one of the handwritten translations of the Bible by Luther (one of 4 in total). He was the first one to translate from Latin into German so the people could understand. They kept it in the high security part of the archive and you could only touch it with white gloves and special permission, of course.

One would think that the Duggars and Bates would be more interested in Germany because of that reason: Germany (and Switzerland and Scandinavia as well) were the battle field between prostestants and catholics 500 years ago. Still today, Germany is split, you have about 1/3 of the population catholic, 1/3 prostestant and 1/3 atheists and muslims. Still 50 years ago a protestant oculd not marry a catholic without being frowned upon and it would  only be possible without a church ceremony.

So , yeah, Duggars where you at?

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wondered if they knew they were consuming alcohol in the fondue too! It's true that some of the alcohol burns off during cooking, but fondue is usually not cooked very long, or at a high enough temp to get rid of much. I doubt they will find out, though, and even if they did I think the Bible verse they follow prohibits getting drunk, which they obviously did not do. I also wonder if they will be avoiding eating pork, I recall the early days of the show when Michelle made a big deal of saying they don't touch pork and always have turkey bacon. 

42 minutes ago, Chewing Gum said:

But since it’s heated, wouldn’t the alcohol NOT be a problem? 

I wonder that as well. I've made beer can chicken, champagne cakes, and I'm convinced that if a gravy doesn't have at least a couple healthy pours of red wine in it, it's not gravy, and I don't think any of those taste or feel particularly boozy; I think the alcohol cooks off and the booze is just flavoring and texture. 

But also, I unreservedly apologize to the nation of Switzerland on behalf of these two people who refuse to learn a lick of German/French (at least Bin seemed to give it the old unaccredited college try in France) or Google anything about Swiss culture or cuisine before arriving. 

4 hours ago, JMO said:

Joy making a point of saying that they will accept all the kids that the Lord gives them because " he won't give us more than we can handle ". Keep telling yourself that girl. 5 yrs and 4 kids from now when everyone is sick and the baby is up crying all night and then Austin wants you to meet his special needs you can go cry in the laundry room. With the 3 yr old peeing in the clean laundry and the toddler crying for a drink. 

So I see you’ve met my SIMS? :pb_lol:

On one hand I think it’s refreshing to see how eager Joy is with PDA versus Austin who appears to be more reserved. On the other hand it’s awkward and makes me cringe for reasons I don’t understand.

5 hours ago, Kelsey said:

Were they actually eating possom or was that sarcasm?

Does anyone have a screenshot of Jinger's tennis outfit and finished kitchen?

Watching it now and I can do better than a screenshot because a picture doesn’t do Jinger justice.

When Michelle saw Jinger  getting out of that car she probably had a stroke. It isn’t just what Jinger it is wearing it is her attitude. She was full Nike and had no fucks to give. 

Spoiler

09158_E64-792_F-46_CA-_A8_C1-51675692_A0

And here are all the before and afters

Spoiler

1_FB673_BA-7_A1_D-421_F-_B92_E-_E3_CA1_A

I don't know if anyone has discussed this before and I apologise if they have, I tried to do a search but it's hard to think of keywords for this one. 

Has anyone picked up on this post ? As far as I know, this is one down (Gideon) and two to go (Joe and Kendra's son and Jinger and Jeremy's baby). So this 3rd cousin to come means another Duggar is pregnant ? Is this a veiled confirmation that Jessa is indeed pregnant ? 

Because I'd be very surprised if it were Anna (this is much shorter than her usual spacing), and I also don't find it very likely that it would be Jill herself, given the repeat C-section. Although this message does seem to show she hopes she will be next, since she says it might be even more than 3 to come.

Just now, Seren Ann said:

I don't know if anyone has discussed this before and I apologise if they have, I tried to do a search but it's hard to think of keywords for this one. 

Has anyone picked up on this post ? As far as I know, this is one down (Gideon) and two to go (Joe and Kendra's son and Jinger and Jeremy's baby). So this 3rd cousin to come means another Duggar is pregnant ? Is this a veiled confirmation that Jessa is indeed pregnant ? 

Because I'd be very surprised if it were Anna (this is much shorter than her usual spacing), and I also don't find it very likely that it would be Jill herself, given the repeat C-section. Although this message does seem to show she hopes she will be next, since she says it might be even more than 3 to come.

I think she means Derick’s brother Dan and his wife. They’re expecting a baby sometime this year.

1 minute ago, singsingsing said:

I think she means Derick’s brother Dan and his wife. They’re expecting a baby sometime this year.

Aaah, good catch, i'd forgotten those two. Thanks :)

"At least 3" also doesn't rule out the possibility that Jessa's pregnant too, so there's still hope for all the conspiracy theorists ;)

1 hour ago, bella8050 said:

Fondue usually has booze in it?! I had no idea. I love the idea of a pot of melted cheese but sadly my sinuses say otherwise. 

It does!  The classic recipe calls for about 1 1/2 cups of white wine AND a tablespoon or so of kirsch.

I am so grateful to you all for watching and discussing this show, it's very entertaining :my_biggrin: 

Haven't watched the episode yet (count me in for having to rely on the evil internet), but reading about their ignorance about Switzerland, especially in regards to languages and food, makes me sad. I mean, they must have planned this trip, no? Who wouldn't read up on (1) food to try, (2) how to get around and (3) how to ask locals about stuff before hopping on the plane? For me, the planning is usually as much fun as the trip itself. And I'm a huge foodie, so food is pretty much on the top of my list with every trip :pb_lol:

I'm wondering if this is because of TLC's editing, that restaurant scene fits in too well with "shrimps on the barbie" and Ben and Jessa's escargot escapade in Paris. So yay, more flashbacks, "can't wait" for JoKen's food adventures ("oh look, it this fish?", "is this cheese?", "what's that funny taste in my mouth?", "why do I smell like garlic?" etc etc).

4 hours ago, eveandadam said:

Funny that, because none of them wants to visit Germany, the birth land of protestants, Luther.... . They kind of dance around Germany, Duggars have been to the UK, France, Italy, Switzerland, but not Germany, lol.

A Duggar sighting in my home country, that would be quite something :pb_lol: But hey, we got beaches AND mountains, too! 

6 hours ago, gameofunbeknowns said:

Is  anyone else reminded Of Courtney Stodden making “sexy faces” during that really awkward 2011 interview when the Duggars adoringly gaze at their husbands? Anyone?

I feel so bad for Courtney Stodden. I have a soft spot for her because her situation was so incredibly fucked up and I'm not surprised she is the way she is. What kind of parents not only allow but encourage their young teen daughter to date and then marry a man in his 50's? I completely blame her parents for making her that way.

Spoiler

Untitled-149.jpg

:pb_cry:

As for the Duggar comparison, I actually do think that the way fundamentalists require women to be subservient to men is just another side of the same coin as the culture that encourages girls to be overly sexualized for the benefit of men before those girls are even old enough to experience and understand their own sexuality.

I admit I caved in and I watched the episode. Mostly for Jinger and to see if Joy's birth had an announcement. 

Go Jinger. She is looking so very happy, and that's what stood out for me the most. Good for her.

Thanks for the screen shots/gifs above.

What IS it with the Duggar girls and their dining tables against the wall?

Thoughts on the new episode:

Jinger and Jeremy seem really happy. Their new life suits them. (I wish I could leisurely hang around Laredo all day everyday. :pb_lol:) I did think it was weird that all Jinger's siblings were like "they're gonna need a nursery soon, hahaha," like at this point JinJer had been married for 7 months with no pregnancy. Did the siblings know they were waiting? Otherwise wouldn't they have suspected JinJer could be having trouble conceiving, and that such a comment would be insensitive? Am I overthinking this??

Joy and Austin had a really nice honeymoon. I hope Austin is sincerely into Joy and just reserved. Their interactions often seem a little stilted. But it was really touching when Austin was talking about how he'd always hoped he'd have an outdoorsy wife who could run the camp with him, and that his dream had come true. Props to Austin not wanting his pregnant wife to have to live in a trailer/poor conditions (ahem ahem D-Wreck).

Jesse is so bossy it's ridiculous. She would drive me nuts. But................that kitchen did look amazing once they were done with it. Jana is SO TALENTED! Props to Ben for the hands-on parenting, he was holding a kid far more often than Jessa was.

Kendra seems reallllllllllllllllllllly young to be married and pregnant but she and Joe are both such sweet and agreeable people that I can't imagine them ever being unhappy. They're adorable.

This episode made me want a big loving family that would play games together and help me set up a house. I know fundies have a lot of issues, but they do often have a great sense of community and loving/supporting one another. I never had a family like that. :( BUT, with any luck, future-Mr. Bananabread and I will make our own. :)

I did not miss Jill or D-Wreck at all. But Jill looked so sad in that one talking head scene. It's almost like she knew it was her last appearance...

2 hours ago, DillyDally said:

Haven't watched the episode yet (count me in for having to rely on the evil internet), but reading about their ignorance about Switzerland, especially in regards to languages and food, makes me sad. I mean, they must have planned this trip, no? Who wouldn't read up on (1) food to try, (2) how to get around and (3) how to ask locals about stuff before hopping on the plane? For me, the planning is usually as much fun as the trip itself. And I'm a huge foodie, so food is pretty much on the top of my list with every trip :pb_lol:

I'm wondering if this is because of TLC's editing, that restaurant scene fits in too well with "shrimps on the barbie" and Ben and Jessa's escargot escapade in Paris. So yay, more flashbacks, "can't wait" for JoKen's food adventures ("oh look, it this fish?", "is this cheese?", "what's that funny taste in my mouth?", "why do I smell like garlic?" etc etc).

A Duggar sighting in my home country, that would be quite something :pb_lol: But hey, we got beaches AND mountains, too! 

I think it’s a combination of production/editing, the Duggars’ general unwillingness to leave their comfort zones, and the fact that when you plan a giant wedding in three months there’s not much time to think about the honeymoon. 

Why do I make myself suffer through these episodes, especially since , in my time zone, it didn't end until midnight?! 

Joy likes her plain food - bread and cheese , doll, doesn't get much more ordinary than that!

Buying tickets for the train and using the German language board when you don't know any & people are waiting in line?!

Jessa! I would have stuffed socks in her mouth in a heartbeat. I am so GLAD that Jinger is miles away from her. Jinger just folds when(ever) Jessa is around. 

Did anybody else catch Joy basically telling Austin "I got this dude" when buying the train tickets? That girl took charge and told him to step back. No doe-eyed longing look at her husband to handle it. She jumped in front of the screen and started barking orders when he even attempted to help.

There's a glimmer of hope for her. A small, tiny, glimmer.

8 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

But since it’s heated, wouldn’t the alcohol NOT be a problem? 

I mean, define problem? You won't get drunk off of fondue, but the Duggars' issue does not seem to be with getting drunk, but with alcohol in general. The wine and kirsch in fondue is definitely still there, it's not like you cook it for a long time and the alcohol evaporates. You basically just heat it until the cheese is properly melted.

Anyway, who knows if the Forsyths are even anti-alcohol like the Duggars. I just found it funny because Austin mentioned an "after-twang" and the booze would certainly account for that. :pb_lol:

11 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Jessa commands that they start decorating.  Shower rods are hung (BEWARE JILL). 

Haha, this made me laugh out loud.  

Thanks for the recaps Buzzard.  They were all great and spot on.

11 hours ago, Smoochie said:

Nope, I turned it on as they asked the question and that was my first thought ... I laughed out loud when he said it, thought dang boy you sound like a normal teenager!

About Jed and the seed comment- I feel like he said it before he thought about it, and immediately regretted it and was embarassed by it. I felt Jer was just sitting there thinking "you idiot."

10 hours ago, Alice in Fundieland said:

I was also thrown by Austin saying Joy has 19 siblings. I thought maybe he was including Tyler but he said something about them all being from the same parents, so I don’t know what that was about.

Also, when the man asked Joy to name all of her siblings in order, she listed herself in there too. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but this made me sad. She is not "Joy, with 18 siblings". She is "Joy, just one of 19", if that makes sense.

9 hours ago, JillyO said:

Did they specifically order alcohol-free fondue? Because literally every cheese fondue I've ever seen has alcohol in it. So unless they made a big deal of theirs being alcohol-free, I am going to strongly assume theirs contained booze. Might explain the "after-twang." :kitty-wink:

Does this mean all Duggars have been avoiding penne vodka like the plague? This makes me the saddest of all! I LOVE a good penne vodka. Or a vodka chicken parm. Or......I think I need to figure out some different lunch plans to now include some vodka sauce :pb_lol:

Josh and Anna (and I think Jessa and Ben) LOVED flaming cheese from whatever restaurant they used to post all over instagram back when Josh was allowed on the internet.  I guess its a lot like their "no pork" thing but we've seen pictures of them eating ranch dressing with bacon.

After watching the first episode I need to say that if some TV channel pays for my honeymoon to Switzerland, I can very gladly let myself be filmed being obnoxious in restaurants, failing at sports and talking about my reproductive plans with total strangers during chocolate making classes. Heck, I'll even get married! (The divorce fee where I live is like $200, I can live with that). So TLC, take me skiing on that glacier! (or any other glacier. Just please buy me a fancy trip to a fancy place!!!!!).

Also, wtf is with that barefoot thing??? Standing on those pebbles or whatever must've been so painful. Why??????

• Buzzard locked this topic

Archived