IGNORED

Dillards 45: The Grift Goes On

Coconut Flan

@Dandruff yeah, i guess I should choose different words for this.

Derick is simply an idiot that has no qualifications for the things he thinks he is destined to do. (Missionarying to poor unsuspecting people who simply have other problems than his white savior complex..)

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today the sermon was about how you can tell the health and spirituality of a country by the way women are treated. Derick would have fainted.

A few years ago a young man from my home town went travelling to Thailand and taught kids with Downs Syndrome. A clip of him teaching kids Celtic Songs went viral on YouTube. A few months after he returned to Scotland he went with a friend to watch a Celtic game in a local bar. He got stabbed and killed on the way home. His parents probably worried about him going travelling and any dangers he may face alone abroad. The real danger he faced was in the community he grew up in.

I used to work in rural China. Got catcalled a few times there and my wallet got stolen on a bus, sure, but the incident where a dude tried to put his hand up my skirt was in Shanghai. And the guy who took my top off and groped me while I was passed out was American as apple pie and we were in Boston. This shit happens everywhere.

Derick retweeted this

wtf kind of sermon is supposed to make you focus on fucking like bunnies instead of actually improving yourself and the community around you? Isn't that one of the main points of religion (allegedly). What a great holiday message. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

28 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Derick retweeted this

wtf kind of sermon is supposed to make you focus on fucking like bunnies instead of actually improving yourself and the community around you? Isn't that one of the main points of religion (allegedly). What a great holiday message. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

I think this was sarcasm? 

@Imagine20 My favourite thing was when the Bahamas issued a travel advisory for black males to the U.S. For the past few years, the US has issued many a travel advisory to the Bahamas for American tourists because of an increasing crime rate. While the crime rate is high, it was at times exaggerated how in-danger you would be if you travelled there as a tourist. It was petty AF and I loved it. 

50 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

Derick retweeted this

Wow Derick, way to be squicky like your father in law. :output_eeMbjt::brainbleach:

I guess in NWA "Hey, hey, hey" isn't just for horses.

Yeah, I can't imagine getting hot n' bothered from a sermon. Do these sermons actually get these fudies' motors running, or is it a case of "Wifey, Ronnie Floyd just reminded us that God wants us to do it. Now make with the sweet fellowship."

24 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Do these sermons actually get these fudies' motors running, or is it a case of "Wifey, Ronnie Floyd just reminded us that God wants us to do it. Now make with the sweet fellowship."

Seriously!! Bazaar people. But another question: What if a wife (like Jill) isn't supposed to get pregnant for health reasons? You're ideally supposed to wait 18 months (I think) before conceiving again after a c-section...so do she and Derick use the rhythm method...? Abstaining? Just go at it and hope for the best? Wasn't Samuel conceived around 18 months after Israel was born...is that just a coincidence?? So many questions we'll never get answers to.

Hey Derick, you sure do like driving one of these, don't you?

cherrypicker.jpg

3 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Derick retweeted this

:brain-bleach: Gross, I don't want to hear about sermons making Derick horny. 

2 hours ago, bananabread said:

Seriously!! Bazaar people. But another question: What if a wife (like Jill) isn't supposed to get pregnant for health reasons? You're ideally supposed to wait 18 months (I think) before conceiving again after a c-section...so do she and Derick use the rhythm method...? Abstaining? Just go at it and hope for the best? Wasn't Samuel conceived around 18 months after Israel was born...is that just a coincidence?? So many questions we'll never get answers to.

If G-d tells him to have sex and multiply, Jill's holy uterus will be saved -no matter what doctors say!

5 hours ago, bananabread said:

If they don’t wait, they are limiting the amount of blessings Jill will be able to deliver.

I had three c-sections in 3 years (2 emergency, third “elective”, though my doctors wouldn’t have let me try for a VBA2C even if I’d wanted to).

When I had my fourth child 9 years after my third I was STRONGLY advised to get my tubes tied during the caesarean delivery. I was told that having my first three caesareans so close together made every subsequent pregnancy and delivery much more dangerous than they would have been if I had given my incisions more time to heal between my first three deliveries. 

VBACs and multiple caesarean deliveries are no joke. If Jill persists in conceiving quickly she is going to find that no doctor will allow her to keep attempting VBACs and, eventually, find it hard to find a doctor willing to take on her care. I don’t think she will be able to attempt a home birth again unless she does it without formal assistance - no midwifes insurance is going to cover a home VBA2C. 

8 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Derick retweeted this

One directed at people like the Duggars.

9 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Hey Derick, you sure do like driving one of these, don't you?

I don't get it...

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I don't get it...

It is a cherry picker truck

1 hour ago, onekidanddone said:

It is a cherry picker truck

Yeah, I know what it is, but I'm not "getting" how it's related to this discussion. lol

Because all the fundies, particularly Derick, cherry pick their Bible references to suit their own nefarious purposes. They're usually not really relevant to the point they want to get across, but they persist.

12 hours ago, bananabread said:

As far as I know 18 months is now the general recommendation for pregnancy spacing, regardless of how you delivered. At least that’s what I think my OBGYN told me during my six week appointment early this year. I could be mistaken. I do remember that she was very firm about me waiting at least 18 months to conceive my next pregnancy because of my history of one premature birth and one miscarriage. Waiting that long will give us better odds of a full-term delivery. 

6 hours ago, lilith said:

If they don’t wait, they are limiting the amount of blessings Jill will be able to deliver.

I had three c-sections in 3 years (2 emergency, third “elective”, though my doctors wouldn’t have let me try for a VBA2C even if I’d wanted to).

When I had my fourth child 9 years after my third I was STRONGLY advised to get my tubes tied during the caesarean delivery. I was told that having my first three caesareans so close together made every subsequent pregnancy and delivery much more dangerous than they would have been if I had given my incisions more time to heal between my first three deliveries. 

VBACs and multiple caesarean deliveries are no joke. If Jill persists in conceiving quickly she is going to find that no doctor will allow her to keep attempting VBACs and, eventually, find it hard to find a doctor willing to take on her care. I don’t think she will be able to attempt a home birth again unless she does it without formal assistance - no midwifes insurance is going to cover a home VBA2C. 

She didn’t conceive that quickly though. Samuel was conceived around the time that Israel turned 18 months. I’m pretty sure that’s the current minimum spacing recommended for all pregnancies, but I know that’s the recommendation for c-sections at least.

To be clear, the 18-month recommendation to wait post c-section is in relation to a VBAC  as rates of successful VBACs with less time are low. I was told if you didn't care about the VBAC, 12 months was fine. Of course there are only so many times most women could have a c-section and remain with a fully functional uterus, but Jill could conceivably elect to just pump out babies via c-section until she can't do it anymore.

Though to be honest I doubt she's in that much hurry at this point. Her loser husband is intent on remaining a lazy loser. Her family isn't going to get featured on the show like Jessa's, she doesn't have the same sort of leghumper following who is crazy about her kids and she doesn't seem to be glowing/thriving with the newest addition. She's probably just surviving the baby + toddler stage and God willing there aren't too many more to follow.

I have wondered (and worried) that a scenario involving pregnancy spacing went down with the Dillards. Hear me out, and let me make it very clear, right off the bat, that this is 100% pure speculation. I'm not even claiming that I personally think this likely happened. I honestly have no idea. It's just a scenario that seems like it could likely happen between a fundie couple like the Dillards. I won't even use the names Jill and Derick. I'll call this hypothetical couple Lil and Eric (har har).

I'll put it behind a spoiler:

Spoiler

Lil and Eric set out to be the perfect fundie, quiverfull couple. Lil gets pregnant on her honeymoon, and they're overjoyed. The pregnancy goes smoothly, and Lil and Eric look forward to years of having babies every 14-18 months. But things don't go according to plan. Lil attempts a homebirth, but ends up in the hospital with an emergency C-section. Lil and Eric are happy that they have a healthy baby, but devastated about what this means for their future fertility.

The doctors tell Lil and Eric not to worry: Lil can totally keep having babies, and she can even attempt a VBAC! Just one problem: Lil should most definitely wait at least 18 months before attempting to conceive again. This will ensure the safety of her and her future baby, and most importantly make it far, far more likely that she can have a successful VBAC and go on to have as many babies as she likes the Lord blesses her with.

After much agonized prayer and consideration, Lil and Eric decide that, all things considered, it would be okay for them to prevent a pregnancy for the next 18 months. God will understand, because he wants them to have as many babies as possible, and this will further that aim. So for 18 months, Lil and Eric use a combination of abstinence and very strict NFP, and are successful in preventing pregnancy. But they are extremely conflicted, and this conflict plus the stress of strict abstinence, causes their marriage to suffer

18 months pass and Lil and Eric immediately begin trying for a baby. God blesses them again right away! But then Lil has another traumatic labour and emergency C-section. Now their chances of having 20 kids are drastically reduced. Lil and Eric are devastated, and now they start to think that maybe this is their punishment for not truly 'leaving it up to God'.

Eric, angry, frustrated, and consumed by guilt and fear, becomes more extreme and radical in his beliefs, lashing out at those who differ. They decide that this time they're going to really leave it up to God, because obviously abstinence and NFP was a mistake. They will never question God again. They will put all their trust in him. And they do. And Lil gets pregnant 6 months after giving birth.

I have some reason to believe that this was not Jill and Derick's experience. For one, certain things they said made it seem like they weren't preventing - or at the very least, weren't preventing for 18 months. But maybe they were preventing for 12 months. Or maybe they weren't preventing at all, but were terrified of another pregnancy. Maybe it affected how often they were intimate, and maybe that was enough for them to blame themselves, for Derick to become more radical, and for them to completely throw caution to the winds going forward.

Again, I don't know. It's not something I believe is true, just something I worry might be. If Jill gets pregnant again soon, then I'll really worry. 

I apologize for saying Derick would be good for Jill. I think he needs some professional counseling. Alot has happened and it happened VERY quickly. They never really got to know each other before they became parents. On the bright side he probably needed someone to love and Jill was very eager.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived