IGNORED

Dillards 45: The Grift Goes On

Coconut Flan

I think as often as we compare the Dillards and the Seewalds, this is one of the more straight forward ones. Both couples live in NWA, both have two young children, neither Jill or Jessa works, both Derick and Ben are pursuing religious education on ministry tracts. Here's what we do know about the differences:

Ben is attending/ or has completed his degree/certificate by now from Moody Bible Institute. He has an internship at a church and a job, which may or may not be the same thing. We don't know, because they've chosen not to talk about it in detail. Moody Bible Institute is accredited, which may allow for them to use student financial aid, again we don't know if they've pursued that. I could do a cost comparison, but I haven't seen anything where he's declared what he's studying, which would impact it, since a glance shows cost per credit online.

Derick is in a non-accredited church based program that we know costs between 10k and 12k, depending on residency. He states that he has been pursuing education or salaried for the past 23 years, so from kindergarten. He's also offered no more information on the work topic other than tweeting possible inferred verses without any explanation. We do know Derick has had/ may still be having health issues and that both of Jill's births had complications that may result in higher medical bills than the Seewalds.

Both Ben and Derick have parents completely comfortable exposing their hateful views online. Only one family is currently asking for donations in a public fashion, when at a glance they are similar circumstances. While fundraising is a part of missionary work, it is also usually conducted via the church or a tax deductible charity, not a for profit website.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if SOS was unhappy with the number of trips they made, back to AR. They didn't look like serious missionaries.

I think that most of us here probably see Ben’s pursuits in an accredited program as more worthy, but in the Duggar community, I would think that Derick’s program has a similar weight. Jeremy became a pastor basically by osmosis and that is seen by Duggar standards as legitimate. I agree that Derick shouldn’t be fleecing the public for money, but he thinks it’s okay because it’s part of his missionary program to do so. It would be very strange for Ben to ask the public for money to pursue his education.

Let me give a few suggestions to Derick and Jill if they want to continue to fund raise to support their missionary ambitions.

Draft Fundraising letter #1.  (preferred option)

Dear potential donors,

God has laid it on our hearts to be missionaries.  We understand that we were unprepared physically, mentally, educationally, spiritually and theologically to be successful missionaries through SOS Ministries.  Therefore, we have returned to the US so Derick can get some training and Jill can be a SAHM until her nerves recover from the shower rail incident.  We will both study hard to improve our abilities to be missionaries in the future.

We have refunded the monies donated to us in the past but ask for your help now.

Part of Derick's training through Cross Church concerns learning how to fund raise to support missions.  As a result he has put up a GoFundMe and asks that you donate generously.  This money is not for our support or to pay his tuition as we have earned plenty of money from our TV show, thank you.  It will be donated to the travel funds of other missionaries or to projects our Church supports overseas <give specifics>.

Thank you for your support and your prayers,

Draft Fundraising letter #2.  What they probably think.

Dear Suckers Donors,

God has laid it on our hearts to be missionaries.  We spent two years in Central America working very hard and converting hundreds of people.  Unfortunately, SOS Ministries did not appreciate how truly great we are and told us to go home.  

We had to find something vaguely missionary sounding to do, so Derick is now signed up as a trainee with Cross Church's missionary course and is working hard.  He is being particularly effective preaching True Christian Beliefs on Twitter.  It is unfortunate that he is being called out for hate speech and bullying a child, but True Christians are always persecuted.  TLC is cross with us and we may not get much more money from TV.

So for Derick to continue preaching and missionarying  we need your money.  Money is vitally important to us.

We know you think we have already got a lot of money because of the TV show, but that doesn't go far when you take all the vacations you want.  We also see no need to dip into our savings when all missionaries should be supported in luxury by other people.  God told us so.

Please give generously.  We would hate to have to get real jobs to support our children when some suckers will give us cash if we call ourselves missionaries.

Thanks for your prayers, but we vastly prefer the money.  

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Thanks for your prayers, but we vastly prefer the money.  

Ha, yes, that is what I see whenever I read (skim, really) one of their appeals for funds and prayers.

18 hours ago, cascarones said:

Honestly? If Derick wants to be a missionary or feels called to the work, he could easily start a travel agency specializing in booking the group fares at discounted rates and I bet he'd get quite a few customers. He'd need to get a travel agent's license, which has some nice discounts attached to it and go on short scoping trips. He can do that from NWA, support his family, pay proper taxes and I bet the Duggars would have no problem with it since he'd be working for himself, no other man. His client base wouldn't care what an outspoken person he is, because they'd share the same views. 

This made me laugh because everything I've seen from dWRECK on the show/social media has shown me that he would be an awful travel agent. He comes off as lazy, unfriendly, and disorganized. He also seems highly likely to discriminate against clients. 

22 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I’ll contribute to a gofundme to get you to $50. 

I'm kinda pissed that I deleted my Yuza Grifter GoFundMe account.  This guy makes me so mad, I just don't know where to start, so I started a FB page to help people clean up their names after bullies or others trash them, or to clean up pics, whatever.  I got stalked and in the process I learned how to get pics down, legal stuff, etc..though I'm not a lawyer.  Dillard deleted his "Derick4Him" twitter account. I'm starting to believe that he may have gotten a cease and desist from Jazz Jennings thru TLC.  Who knows...but Jazz couldn't probably sue him for slander.  The  FB page is "Right to be forgotten online".

5 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I think that most of us here probably see Ben’s pursuits in an accredited program as more worthy, but in the Duggar community, I would think that Derick’s program has a similar weight. Jeremy became a pastor basically by osmosis and that is seen by Duggar standards as legitimate. I agree that Derick shouldn’t be fleecing the public for money, but he thinks it’s okay because it’s part of his missionary program to do so. It would be very strange for Ben to ask the public for money to pursue his education.

I turned him into the IRS anonymously.  I know for a fact that he doesn't have a 503(c) nonprofit, and he most likely didn't get a tax free ID from the IRS for "The Dillard Family Ministry".  Why should he be able to constantly beg for money, even on his family website (though that was taken down) without paying taxes?  I figured that since I can navigate some of these forms that I should do it in the names of everyone who is pissed off

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I wonder if SOS was unhappy with the number of trips they made, back to AR. They didn't look like serious missionaries.

Jill spoke so ill of the El Salvadoran people.  "I'm so afraid that someone is going to cut my finger off to get my diamond ring".  "I'm scared that I'm going to get raped every time that I go out".  She's so inconsiderate.  She made her spanish teacher come to their house to teach her, then she played with Israel the whole time the lady was trying to teach her.  Never once did Jill think "Gosh...it might be easier on the Spanish teacher if I go to her!"  NEver...it's all about she and Derick.  They don't have any idea what doing something for someone else looks like.

21 hours ago, cascarones said:

@Dandruff I believe that a problem the first time around and how they ended up with SOS, their home churches and SBC wouldn't sponsor them with no missionary skills. They had to back off on saying they were sent by their church to they'd received a blessing before they left. They also didn't follow SOS fundraising guidelines, SOS wants the money directly given to them to distribute to their various mission fields while the Dillards bypassed that and created Dillard Family Ministries (now shuttered). 

Honestly? If Derick wants to be a missionary or feels called to the work, he could easily start a travel agency specializing in booking the group fares at discounted rates and I bet he'd get quite a few customers. He'd need to get a travel agent's license, which has some nice discounts attached to it and go on short scoping trips. He can do that from NWA, support his family, pay proper taxes and I bet the Duggars would have no problem with it since he'd be working for himself, no other man. His client base wouldn't care what an outspoken person he is, because they'd share the same views. 

I'm actually a bit surprised none of the Duggars have started one yet, given how much they travel and the coordination that has to happen for such large groups. 

But the Duggars have 6 (yes count them SIX) airplanes.  They now travel in tactical air groupings.

On 11/16/2017 at 11:27 AM, Carm_88 said:

I think that we can put Derick Dillard in the dictionary under the word: manchild. Holy shit! He has never once defended himself, he sends his Mommy out to do that. What a moron! 

Josh and Anna probably gave him money because Derick is making them look sane! 

I added "Derick Dillard" to the Urban Dictionary.  To "Derick Dillard" someone online is to bully a purported weaker person.  

@Yuza GrifterIts been mentioned multiple times, but he didn’t delete his Twitter account. He changed his username to derickmdillard. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/derickmdillard

I’d also like to direct you to the following post:

This was a response to you by @Palimpsestin which she confirmed the Dillard’s did obtain 503(c) nonprofit status for Dillard Family Ministries. 

ETA: I’m not sure what you were looking at, but the IRS website lists them as being a 503(c) and, I believe, states that they have filed something relating to a 990-N for 2014-2016. I could absolutely be reading it wrong though, so I’m including screenshots below just in case:

990E0698-0E55-4FA8-92B8-226D70FB11A1.thumb.png.769775504ea1ae60d4eabaf6251d1252.png

Spoiler

DAA50816-8A58-4CEB-B1EF-5AB5143C20F5.thumb.png.ce7cf94c6992ce6c49ed5c02243559dc.png

Spoiler

4D5412C3-B61D-4958-9AF5-2F4B134629B4.thumb.png.1154a90949f89b0939f2c7a89b2ceba5.png

Spoiler

407BA375-823F-417C-8585-E94E8C1F6A72.thumb.png.29b145132a516d7b29f3ce7598bc5392.png

Spoiler

396B5CD4-A991-4350-995E-FFA4AF597E30.thumb.png.07555e9539af68a60d7b5e788eb87654.png

16 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

I also see the comments that JB&M are millionaires, if this is a cause they believe in, it helps Jill and the kids, then why not lend it to them? There shouldn't be a need to fleece the money from fans.

The Duggars don't believe in going into debt and Derick promised he wouldn't either.  They have morals, y'know.  Fleecing, bullying, molesting, and adultery are in a different category.

I am a bit sick of online begging. A young person I know asking for money for a professional endeavor, another asking for donations to her favorite charity for her birthday present. 

Since it is on facebook, is it obvious I am not cooperating, am I being “begged”, or am I just a mean, mean person. 

I mean, not everyone gives this person a birthday present maybe. 

And then it is obvious I am not a “donater”.

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Yuza Grifter said:

I'm kinda pissed that I deleted my Yuza Grifter GoFundMe account.  This guy makes me so mad, I just don't know where to start, so I started a FB page to help people clean up their names after bullies or others trash them, or to clean up pics, whatever.  I got stalked and in the process I learned how to get pics down, legal stuff, etc..though I'm not a lawyer.  Dillard" someone online is to bully a purported weaker person.  

Handle this one with care, and a bushel full of salt. IMO

Dillard deleted his "Derick4Him" twitter account. I'm starting to believe that he may have gotten a cease and desist from Jazz Jennings thru TLC.  Who knows...but Jazz couldn't probably sue him for slander.  The  FB page is "Right to be forgotten online".

See @VelociRapture's comment on Derick's twitter account.  Who knows, but this poster may be making things up out of whole cloth.

I turned him into the IRS anonymously.  I know for a fact that he doesn't have a 503(c) nonprofit, and he most likely didn't get a tax free ID from the IRS for "The Dillard Family Ministry".  Why should he be able to constantly beg for money, even on his family website (though that was taken down) without paying taxes?  I figured that since I can navigate some of these forms that I should do it in the names of everyone who is pissed off

What this poster "knows for a fact" is wrong.  The Dillards had a registered 501(c)3,

I expect the IRS put any complaint into the circular file because this poster comes over as nuts here.  The IRS would think this poster cuckoo For cocoa puffs.

Jill spoke so ill of the El Salvadoran people.  "I'm so afraid that someone is going to cut my finger off to get my diamond ring".  "I'm scared that I'm going to get raped every time that I go out". 

I so missed these statements.  I would really like documentation that Jill said any of this.

But the Duggars have 6 (yes count them SIX) airplanes.  They now travel in tactical air groupings.

More documentation needed, please.  Thanks in advance.

I added "Derick Dillard" to the Urban Dictionary. 

You are much too cool for school!  And, I suspect, full of shit.  

Sorry, I like to give new posters time to settle down and fit in, but this one seems totally off the rails.  

I just had friend on facebook ask if people plan to give her money for christmas could they do it now so she could have it for a convention soon. I just...wow 

To be fair, I think I remember Jill talking about people wanting to take her ring, but never about rape. I don't think a duggar would even utter that word.

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Since it is on facebook, is it obvious I am not cooperating, am I being “begged”, or am I just a mean, mean person. 

4 minutes ago, Yaoichan12 said:

I just had friend on facebook ask if people plan to give her money for christmas could they do it now so she could have it for a convention soon. I just...wow 

♪♫♬

Well if you want to donate, donate.
And if you want to be mean, be mean
'Cause there's a million things to be
You know that there are

You can do what you want
The opportunity's on
And you'll find a new way
'cos there's no need to ask FJ

Well if you want to say yes, say, "Yes"
And if you want to say no, say, "No"
'Cause there's a million ways to go
You know that there are

You can do what you want
The opportunity's on
And who cares what folk say
You can do it today

♪♫♬

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

A young person I know asking for money for a professional endeavor, another asking for donations to her favorite charity for her birthday present. 

There are plenty of ways to unfollow and otherwise not receive these requests from these people via facebook.

39 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I don't think a duggar would even utter that word.

Well I do remember Derick saying 'rapes, murders, these are common things people here need to deal with.' Not related to Jill in any way though...

1 hour ago, closetcagebaby said:

Seriously, @Yuza Grifter, coming here to brag about your big, bad exploits isn’t going to go down well here. Weird, inappropriate vigilante justice isn’t what we do. 

You are entitled to act any way, so am I.  I haven't broken any laws.   Whomever can kick me off this, I don't care.  Quite honestly, I'm incensed that a kid was bullied.  Everyone wants to complain and complain and zero people want to act.  I want the money he raises to be for the good.  It's rather obvious that things are not on the up and up with them.  Is that okay?  To me it's like seeing a kid getting kicked in the street, but not stopping and doing anything about it.  To me it has nothing to do with transgendered, not transgendered.  It seems like he is kicking people when they might be at their most vulnerable.

I also want him to get a job as a school bus driver in the area.  They are desperately needed.

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

@Yuza GrifterIts been mentioned multiple times, but he didn’t delete his Twitter account. He changed his username to derickmdillard. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/derickmdillard

I’d also like to direct you to the following post:

This was a response to you by @Palimpsestin which she confirmed the Dillard’s did obtain 503(c) nonprofit status for Dillard Family Ministries. 

ETA: I’m not sure what you were looking at, but the IRS website lists them as being a 503(c) and, I believe, states that they have filed something relating to a 990-N for 2014-2016. I could absolutely be reading it wrong though, so I’m including screenshots below just in case:

990E0698-0E55-4FA8-92B8-226D70FB11A1.thumb.png.769775504ea1ae60d4eabaf6251d1252.png

Reveal hidden contents

DAA50816-8A58-4CEB-B1EF-5AB5143C20F5.thumb.png.ce7cf94c6992ce6c49ed5c02243559dc.png

Reveal hidden contents

4D5412C3-B61D-4958-9AF5-2F4B134629B4.thumb.png.1154a90949f89b0939f2c7a89b2ceba5.png

Reveal hidden contents

407BA375-823F-417C-8585-E94E8C1F6A72.thumb.png.29b145132a516d7b29f3ce7598bc5392.png

Reveal hidden contents

396B5CD4-A991-4350-995E-FFA4AF597E30.thumb.png.07555e9539af68a60d7b5e788eb87654.png

I know, I know.  But what was the reason for the change????  Was it just because he didn't like the bashing?  or was it forced upon him?  I'm just curious is all...

Two of the last three campaigns I donated to on go fund me were sadly for funeral expenses. The other one was for a fire victim.

One of my "Christmas" donations this year will be to Heifer international... I am funding a flock of chicks for a family. Perhaps they will be in Central America. I think this is infinitely more useful than being "saved" by a fake missionary. 

My un-dubious husband filled two shoeboxes for Samaritans purse. You can't snark on giving toys and school supplies to children.  I know they might have to listen to a sermon first, before getting their gifts. 

I know someone who is saving to go on a missioncation. She has bake sales at her church monthly. She is the doing all the baking. She gets money by doing balloon animals, face painting and henna at parties. She is doing a spaghetti dinner fundraiser at church next week. She probably gets some private donations too. But she is working her ass off raising money.

Derick is not doing anything to supplement his fundraising. 

4 minutes ago, Yuza Grifter said:

You are entitled to act any way, so am I.  I haven't broken any laws.   Whomever can kick me off this, I don't care.  Quite honestly, I'm incensed that a kid was bullied.  Everyone wants to complain and complain and zero people want to act.  I want the money he raises to be for the good.  It's rather obvious that things are not on the up and up with them.  Is that okay?  To me it's like seeing a kid getting kicked in the street, but not stopping and doing anything about it.  To me it has nothing to do with transgendered, not transgendered.  It seems like he is kicking people when they might be at their most vulnerable.

I also want him to get a job as a school bus driver in the area.  They are desperately needed.

I know, I know.  But what was the reason for the change????  Was it just because he didn't like the bashing?  or was it forced upon him?  I'm just curious is all...

Please do not use the term “transgendered.” It’s incredibly offensive to people who are transgender because the -ed ending implies there is a choice involved. There is not. They prefer the term “Transgender” or “Transgender people.”

Action should only be taken when warranted and when it will actually help. Reporting them to the IRS likely won’t help at all considering they did register Dillard Family Ministry as a 503(c) and appear to have filed their 909-N for the appropriate years. Any comment on why you claim to have reported them when you probably didn’t need to?

If you’re pissed about his Twitter comments then I suggest you report his account to Twitter - many Twitter users have done so already.

This site has a rule about not coming here to brag about harassing fundies. The Admins have already issued a reminder in this thread because some posts have come close to crossing the line. Please keep that in mind as you post here. 

Finally, why did Derick change his handle? I don’t know and I honestly don’t care. 

I did report him to GoFundMe, because I honestly believe he may be in violation of their terms and conditions. But that's as far as I'd go. I think Twitter is already aware of his comments, and I have no idea whether he's committed any kind of tax fraud. If we're making assumptions based on public information available online, wouldn't the IRS already have access to that...?

I don't think starting a legal crusade against fundies is a great idea. Unless you know for a fact that they're breaking the law, and you have reason to believe that law enforcement is unaware of it, it's best to stay out of it. There are all kinds of shady and illegal things these people 'might' be doing, but speculation can get WAY out of control if we go down that road. That's how internet witch hunts that can end up causing a lot of damage or even ruining lives get started.

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

@Dubiousclaire,  I think I'll give my husband a Flock of Chicks or maybe even a Flock of Hope.  He's always wanted backyard chickens, but I think this is way better.

I was torn between the chicks and bees...will give bees next time for sure.  I really wanted to fund a girls education, but as my husband pointed out, I am already funding my daughter at college.  But it did lead to an interesting conversation with my 17 year old son, about how girls are still kept from school in other countries, and about how girls can't go to school during their monthly visitor, because they don't have access/can't afford feminine hygiene products. 

9 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

I think I'll give my husband a Flock of Chicks or maybe even a Flock of Hope.

I immediately thought of A Flock of Seagulls.... (but seriously, no one wants that).

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived