IGNORED

Dillards 45: The Grift Goes On

Coconut Flan

@Dandruff I believe that a problem the first time around and how they ended up with SOS, their home churches and SBC wouldn't sponsor them with no missionary skills. They had to back off on saying they were sent by their church to they'd received a blessing before they left. They also didn't follow SOS fundraising guidelines, SOS wants the money directly given to them to distribute to their various mission fields while the Dillards bypassed that and created Dillard Family Ministries (now shuttered). 

Honestly? If Derick wants to be a missionary or feels called to the work, he could easily start a travel agency specializing in booking the group fares at discounted rates and I bet he'd get quite a few customers. He'd need to get a travel agent's license, which has some nice discounts attached to it and go on short scoping trips. He can do that from NWA, support his family, pay proper taxes and I bet the Duggars would have no problem with it since he'd be working for himself, no other man. His client base wouldn't care what an outspoken person he is, because they'd share the same views. 

I'm actually a bit surprised none of the Duggars have started one yet, given how much they travel and the coordination that has to happen for such large groups. 

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Glasgowghirl said:

He wasn't the best dad but most men were like that then, Derick is living now and is worse in his treatment of Jill and the kids. 

Not so much.  Please look into Livingstone and his history more.  

6 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I posted this in QFoS, but Derick's missions funding efforts remind me of this too:

Ok I just got lost for 20 min on this guy’s YouTube channel.  It’s hilarious! Just came here to say thank you!  Now headed back hahahha

2 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Right?  I've taken a few certificate courses with my local (and well regarded) state university, and they range between $3K to $5K for 8-9 months of work.  And those certificates have VALUE in their fields, being from an accredited institution that is actually known for it's robust and rigorous Professional and Continuing Ed department.  

But I will say that 1 (extra long) class a week is very common for PCE certificate courses.  Why?  Oh, because THEY EXPECT YOU TO BE WORKING A FULL TIME JOB AND WANT TO ACCOMMODATE THAT, so most of your work for the course is done on your own so as to be more flexible.  

Seriously, Derick.  I've worked 40+ hour weeks at a Fortune 500 company WHILE attending a class that required 1 meeting a week plus ~10 hours of classwork.  It sucked.  It was hard.  But it is definitely doable.  And I'm just a weak woman type.  CERTAINLY as a patriarch you can do that and MORE.  

His program is a residency program. So while they may only have class once a week it’s possible he could be spending the rest of the work week doing the residency portion of the program - attending meetings, doing budget work, working under a ministry staff member.

I’m absolutely of the opinion that he should be earning money in some capacity. He and Jill have children and a responsibility to provide for them. But I do think it’s very likely that the program may require more work than just the class work. 

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

I know it's hilarious to see funny names on the list of donors, but please stop giving Derick money. And definitely don't donate $50! He's using this money to harass people and spread hate. It's not worth the lolz!

Yes, and he has absolutely zero legal obligation to even make a video thanking anyone. Most likely he will just quietly pocket the money. He seems good at that...

I hate to sound mean, but I sure hope Derick's grifting, begging will soon be over for good. It sounds like he may have ( had, and probably still has ) problems with the correct paperwork. I hope that's enough to shut it down once and for all. 

It's reminder time.  We've had some interactions waltzing on the line.

From the FJ rules: 

Offsite Interactions

We have no desire to control our member's off-site interactions and/or behavior.  We do get to control the types of things that are talked about here, however.   Please do not post accounts of trolling a fundie's blog, driving by houses, going through their trash, etc.     Do what you want on your own time, but giving an audience to that kind of thing is not the place FJ wants to be.  Please be careful that you do not interact in such a way as to give the impression you are a representative of Free Jinger.

If you go to a public event, you are free to post your summary of that event or your interactions there.   If you do attend a public event, don't present yourself as a representative of FJ.

14 hours ago, nst said:

when he starts to thank a child molester publicly then we have problems.  This man needs to be stopped. 

when he starts to thank the very guy who not only tipped his wife over the edge, but shaked the core of the family, what is he thinking? these people are all insane.  This is like so wrong it's not even funny.  I can't stand this.  He needs to seriously stop with this. 

I honestly would be embarrassed as hell to thank Josh in public.  Josh traumatized your wife for crying out loud.  Now, he's giving you money?  That's not good.  

Amy Duggar King tweets that one should still be "compassionate" to people one doesn't agree with. A little too much "love the sinner, hate the sin" for me, but WAY above what Derick is doing. People has picked up the story of Derick being off the show as well!

http://people.com/tv/amy-duggar-says-people-should-be-compassionate-everyone-following-derick-dillard-tweets/

23 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

I honestly would be embarrassed as hell to thank Josh in public.  Josh traumatized your wife for crying out loud.  Now, he's giving you money?  That's not good.  

Derick and Josh have no shame it seems. 

To those saying that the Duggars should be paying Derick’s expenses - why? I don’t expect my parents to pay my husbands educational expenses or contribute to our living expenses. If we were running a fundraiser I guess I’d ask them if they wanted to donate, but that’s about it.

The Duggars have already given Jill and Derrick a place to live for their first year of marriage. They don’t have an obligation to fund the whims of their children and the idiots they marry.

2 hours ago, lilith said:
To those saying that the Duggars should be paying Derick’s expenses - why? I don’t expect my parents to pay my husbands educational expenses or contribute to our living expenses. If we were running a fundraiser I guess I’d ask them if they wanted to donate, but that’s about it.
The Duggars have already given Jill and Derrick a place to live for their first year of marriage. They don’t have an obligation to fund the whims of their children and the idiots they marry.

Precisely!

I have a friend who is a missionary (an actual one, who is immersed in her community and is actually doing things - like building homes and teaching skills) she fell in love with this lifestyle while she was in the military doing a tour in Afghanistan, and decided to go to another place as her permanent place of residence.

While she is religiously affiliated (and we call her a missionary so she can have the support of her church community) she is more humanitarian than Jesus pusher, living by the philosophy that Jesus said “Love one another” not “shove me down their throats”

This friend and her husband come from a wealthy family, but they do quite a bit of fundraising. Her home church sends $1,000/month which covers the families living expenses. The rest of her donations are very heavily documented. She publicizes regularly her budget and is completely transparent about where the money is spent.

Two years ago, my daughter fundraised on this friends behalf to buy them a $2,000 generator so they could have electricity in their hut.

I don't think it's so much the idea that the Duggars should pay for Derick, but that as a fairly regular TLC cast member, People magazine, the book deals, all these years if their money was all pooled into a trust, Jill should now have access to what's hers and JB should cough it up. Wasn't their net worth estimated at $400K at one point? Then there's the idea that if every person who attended their wedding just donated $10 each they'd hit the mark. I also see the comments that JB&M are millionaires, if this is a cause they believe in, it helps Jill and the kids, then why not lend it to them? There shouldn't be a need to fleece the money from fans.

5 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

I don't think it's so much the idea that the Duggars should pay for Derick, but that as a fairly regular TLC cast member, People magazine, the book deals, all these years if their money was all pooled into a trust, Jill should now have access to what's hers and JB should cough it up. Wasn't their net worth estimated at $400K at one point? Then there's the idea that if every person who attended their wedding just donated $10 each they'd hit the mark. I also see the comments that JB&M are millionaires, if this is a cause they believe in, it helps Jill and the kids, then why not lend it to them? There shouldn't be a need to fleece the money from fans.

I know the kids appeared on the show for years, but, at least when they were minors, they wouldn’t have had individual contracts or have been paid separately. The TLC money went into supporting the family.

Maybe Jill got a portion put into trust after turning 18. And I’m sure she’s been paid for Counting On. But I still don’t see why her parents should fund her husbands griftionarry fuckery. They have a dozen kids still at home to support, kids who also featured in 17/18/19 Kids And Counting and who are just as entitled as Jill to a share of the spoils.

Well and to be fair, we don't know that JimBob isn't funneling money to Jill and Derick to cover their family expenses. Where else are they getting $ from at this point? Not on the show, neither has a job - they will need housing, food, a car, phones, they still travel, etc. I'm pretty sure most of their daily expenses are covered by what Jill made when they were on the show or from some sort of JimBob living allowance. So yeah, I agree that to the extent that Derick wants to travel the world, the elder Duggars aren't responsible. Especially since they're likely going to be taking on the burden of the grown ass man's wife and two children while he's heaven knows where.

2 hours ago, lilith said:

The TLC money went into supporting the family.

And into supporting a fairly luxurious lifestyle as time went on.  It also includes the Duggar parents providing businesses to the sons (car lots, towing company, etc,) and lots of toys.  I presume J.D. didn't pay for his flying lessons and the plane all by himself.

The Duggar parents exploited their children by putting their lives on display.  So I do think the Duggar children when they reach 18 are entitled to back pay from the time they spent working for both 19K&C and Counting On.  

AR does not have a "Coogan" law which requires 15% of the gross income for working children being put in a trust for their future use.  However, JB and Michele, morally and ethically, ought to cough up the cash for the children.  And it should be divided fairly among them - without the Dillards grabbing more than their fair share.

There is no way I am going to attempt the maths, so let's round it all out to: 

Each child should be paid 1/19th (or the # of minor children for that year) of 15% of the gross for each year they were filmed under the family contract (s) when they reach 18.  What they do with that money is up to them, but I hope Hannie and Jennifer use it to run away.

36 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

Where else are they getting $ from at this point?

If they had any sense they saved or invested some of the Counting On money.  Also, royalties from "Growing up Duggar" (Jill should get 1/4 of those), and they could hit the Fundie circuit as conference speakers.  

5 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Can someone fill me in on what happened between Derick and SOS? Why'd they drop him?

It was said on a blog somewhere that the problem was that he and Jill didn’t become fluent in Spanish.

But, we don’t know that for actual sure. It would seem. 

I was having a hard time sleeping last night so I sorta did the math.

IF the $40K an episode rumor is true, that's $2,105 per person, per episode. 

But per usual the Duggars won't talk money so it's hard to know. Still, I highly doubt they're struggling financially, or if the kidults are it's because JB is still controlling the money and just doles out a living allowance and as much of a control freak as he is, I could see it happening that way.  It's not like the Seewalds and Dillards have mortgages, or car payments. It's really not hard to live on $2,000 a month when you don't have housing expenses or a car payment, especially in that part of Arkansas (unless of course you go out to eat/get coffee every day). Electric/gas, phone, internet, car insurance (rates in that area are pretty low) food and diapers. I just don't get the need to weasel $10K out of the general public when it should be easy enough if they actually tried. But its the Dillards, never happen!

I think that if the Duggars consider Derick’s missionary training to be a worthy cause, they should be kicking in a huge chunk of change to support him. When I look back at the choices Derick has made, an argument can be made that he made them to accommodate the Duggars, not himself. He started out his marriage working for the other Man, Walmart, but Jill couldn’t comprehend the idea of her husband having a 9 to 5 job. It also didn’t make very compelling reality tv. It also made Derick less available for the necessary family trips and other things that needed to be filmed. So the Josh scandal hits and the show is going to be focused on Jill and Jessa. Well how boring is that going to be unless they’re actually doing something. So Derick quits his responsible job to become a missionary before he’s had a chance to personally build up some savings or any support or training. He and Jill go to Central America so they can be shown doing something besides being a regular young couple with a baby. It doesn’t work out because Jill seems unhappy there and Derick probably isn’t very effective at his job, possibly due to his lack of training for the position. So they come back home to get the training he lacks and it’s also a better situation for Jill and his children. Jim Bob knew going into Jill and Derick’s marriage that Derick wanted to be a missionary. Up until now, it can possibly be seen that Derick has been accommodating the Duggar brand by the choices he’s made. Maybe Derick thinks that he and Jill deserve some Duggar financial support for the efforts they have put in over the past couple of years and Jill’s entire life. If Derick isn’t getting the support from the Duggars, maybe his reaction is to tweet any thought he has regardless of consequences and to not care about being associated with TLC any longer.

$10,000 should actually be no big deal to Derick and Jill or to the Duggars as a whole. It seems implausible that the Dillards don’t have that amount sitting in a bank account. If they don’t have it, Jim Bob has screwed them over. The idea of asking people who have less to support a lifestyle that they or their family can afford is wrong.

What's disconcerting to me about D'wreck and Jill's fundraising for mission training is their willingness to go outside their faith community and publicly solicit anyone and everyone.  I've seen individuals and couples do fundraisers in my community, and it's facilitated by networks where people know people. Networks like the guest list at DerJill's wedding. Private mailings and phone calls.  Closed FB groups and community events and small business sponsorships.

Granted, people in my community who do fundraising aren't public figures on reality shows. It seems that DerJill are trying to reinvent the more organic community-based fundraising that church folk have used for generations by networking their audience. Problem is, they aren't connected to or accountable to their audience, which is a diverse group that includes haters and critics along with leghumpers.   Why would someone ask for financial support from people they don't know anything about?

I tend to think DerJill live in a bubble and that they are pretty much cut off from knowledgeable people who could advise them in their situation as public personalities.  Or maybe they have such advisors and choose not to listen.  Either way, they seem to be living in a highly conflicted reality.  Largely of their own making. Probably driven by a martyr complex. Interesting to watch the drama play out, but I'm a critic who doesn't appreciate what appears to be shameless public begging.

22 minutes ago, artdecades said:

Can someone fill me in on what happened between Derick and SOS? Why'd they drop him?

The plausible (but unconfirmed) rumor was roughly:

•  Derick and Jill failed to learn enough Spanish to missionary properly, and
  • The emphasis the show put on how scary and dangerous it was in Central America had a negative impact on people signing up for SOS's short-term mission trips, AKA misscations.

Therefore, Jill and Derick were asked not to return to the sinecure of pretending to be missionaries through SOS Ministries.

It also seems that fundraising is a part of the missionary training since they are encouraged to do it. And for regular people in the program that makes sense. But if you’ve been on the cover of People magazine, you’re no longer allowed to pretend that you need financial support from strangers. You are absolutely asking “fans” to support a chosen lifestyle.

31 minutes ago, artdecades said:

We know nothing for sure, not even that the Dillards were let go. But some rando claiming to be associated with SOS said that SOS took the Dillards on so that the organization would get positive exposure on Counting On. However, SOS really pushes the "missioncation" thing, with luxurious, super-secure vacation homes and pretty beaches, so the Dillards' constant emphasis on "danger" was not the kind of advertising they were looking for.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived