IGNORED

Dillards 45: The Grift Goes On

Coconut Flan

4 hours ago, Dandruff said:

The Duggars don't believe in going into debt and Derick promised he wouldn't either.  They have morals, y'know.  Fleecing, bullying, molesting, and adultery are in a different category.

The bills from Josie were on Medicaid.  Unless he paid $1M out of pocket.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe that @Yuza Grifter's heart was in the right place. Let's hope that they learnt what not to do in the future and move on to happy snarking.

7 minutes ago, freealljs said:

I believe that @Yuza Grifter's heart was in the right place. Let's hope that they learnt what not to do in the future and move on to happy snarking.

Dang though.  I personally have not been exposed to T kids.  I think they are great...they are forging their way in a world that hasn't too accepting!  People TRY to say what they mean and hope for the best on these forums, but to get ripped apart for trying....dang.  I'm going to adios.  Honestly, I'm not too sure the Duggars/Dillards are worth any more of my time.  Moving on...

For not even being sure if they're worth of your time you spent a lot of efforts trying to get them in trouble with the IRS on basis you knew were wrong. 

A little reminder of the guidelines: do not flounce repeatedly.

45 minutes ago, freealljs said:

You have a very kind heart. I truly hope it serves you well on here and offline as well. :) 

10 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

For not even being sure if they're worth of your time you spent a lot of efforts trying to get them in trouble with the on basis you knew were wrong. 

A little reminder of the guidelines: do not flounce repeatedly.

But flouncing is so much fun! Especially when you do it while sipping wine, nibbling some cheese, and wearing a nice pair of fluffy socks. So relaxing. :pb_lol:

I’m trying to catch up, as a card-carrying FJer should, I suppose.  But, I honestly could not give fewer fucks. Same shit every damn day. Sorry. Just venting as I endeavor to catch up.  These people.

2 hours ago, Yuza Grifter said:

You are entitled to act any way, so am I.  I haven't broken any laws.   Whomever can kick me off this, I don't care.  Quite honestly, I'm incensed that a kid was bullied.  Everyone wants to complain and complain and zero people want to act.  I want the money he raises to be for the good.  It's rather obvious that things are not on the up and up with them.  Is that okay?  To me it's like seeing a kid getting kicked in the street, but not stopping and doing anything about it.  To me it has nothing to do with transgendered, not transgendered.  It seems like he is kicking people when they might be at their most vulnerable.

I also want him to get a job as a school bus driver in the area.  They are desperately needed.

I know, I know.  But what was the reason for the change????  Was it just because he didn't like the bashing?  or was it forced upon him?  I'm just curious is all...

You’re not acting in any positive way though, or directing the funds he raised to good causes. You’re simply trolling. And by posting about it here and using your FJ username you’re associating this site and it’s members with your trolling. It’s in poor taste.

58 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

But flouncing is so much fun! Especially when you do it while sipping wine, nibbling some cheese, and wearing a nice pair of fluffy socks. So relaxing. :pb_lol:

I am binge watching Californication since September and I am FINALLY on Season 7 episode 7 - while sipping tea, eating a brownie and LAUGHING....

don't tell me how it ends. 
Derick could use a laugh like I have been having 

42 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

I’m trying to catch up, as a card-carrying FJer should, I suppose.  But, I honestly could not give fewer fucks. Same shit every damn day. Sorry. Just venting as I endeavor to catch up.  These people.

Who rocks the world - You do !!

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

♪♫♬

Well if you want to donate, donate.
And if you want to be mean, be mean
'Cause there's a million things to be
You know that there are

You can do what you want
The opportunity's on
And you'll find a new way
'cos there's no need to ask FJ

Well if you want to say yes, say, "Yes"
And if you want to say no, say, "No"
'Cause there's a million ways to go
You know that there are

You can do what you want
The opportunity's on
And who cares what folk say
You can do it today

♪♫♬

They were playing this song at Panera the other night.  I was bopping my head and humming along. One Kid looked like she want'ed to crawl under the floor.

On 11/16/2017 at 10:02 PM, Sky with diamonds said:

Derick and Josh have no shame it seems. 

If they had any shame they would be hiding under a rock and Josh would have begged Derick to not do a public thank you video.

2 hours ago, Dubiousclaire said:

Two of the last three campaigns I donated to on go fund me were sadly for funeral expenses. The other one was for a fire victim.

One of my "Christmas" donations this year will be to Heifer international... I am funding a flock of chicks for a family. Perhaps they will be in Central America. I think this is infinitely more useful than being "saved" by a fake missionary. 

My un-dubious husband filled two shoeboxes for Samaritans purse. You can't snark on giving toys and school supplies to children.  I know they might have to listen to a sermon first, before getting their gifts. 

I love Heifer International!  That was always our Sunday School mission.  We had so much picking our animal and then bringing money to get to color a portion of it until we filled it in to show we had bought the animal for someone.  We were pretty proud when we bought two cows.  

On 11/16/2017 at 7:27 PM, Sky with diamonds said:

I hate to sound mean, but I sure hope Derick's grifting, begging will soon be over for good. It sounds like he may have ( had, and probably still has ) problems with the correct paperwork. I hope that's enough to shut it down once and for all. 

Have to quote myself here. Apparently there was no problems with the paperwork, very sorry for thinking there was problems. I think it was VelcoiRapture who put it straight, thanks for that. 

1 hour ago, Fascinated said:

Not much ever changes!

Very off topic, but I love and thank you for your avatar! :my_blush:

5 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I so missed these statements.  I would really like documentation that Jill said any of this.

Jill said something about her ring making her nervous during the dinner with Cathy before they left (She was talking about why she left her ring with Cathy). I don't remember exactly what it was but I think that being afraid of her finger being cut off was a bit of an exaggeration. 

Gonna address the "please donate to x charity for my birthday".  I would be totally ok not only asking people myself to do this, but allowing my kids to as well if they wanted. One of my favorites groups (Villalobos Rescue Center, of Pitbulls and Parolees) is struggling and right now all is well in my world so sure, I'd rather my close friends and family donate a big bag of dog food or blankets in my name. To me that's the spirit of giving. But I also get annoyed at the store sometimes because it's always something being requested, and we donate directly to St Jude, John Hopkins All Children's, and do the Special Olympics polar plunge all on our own already. Catch 22 I guess.

9 hours ago, Yuza Grifter said:

The bills from Josie were on Medicaid.  Unless he paid $1M out of pocket.

Was this published somewhere? Medicaid is for low-income families. I'm not sure the Duggars qualify for that.

52 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Was this published somewhere? Medicaid is for low-income families. I'm not sure the Duggars qualify for that.

I believe that claim has been discussed here previously and I saw a blog claim they had Medicaid for Josie - the women said any baby under 1200g (or any micropreemie) automatically qualifies. 

Heres a @Palimpsestcomment from 2012 discussing it:

It’s entirely possible that opinions have changed if new information came to light in the past five years. If that’s the case I’d appreciate someone correcting me on this. But I don’t think this claim is false. Micropreemies can rack up humongous bills. We have at least one poster here who had million dollar babies after her kids were born very prematurely. Even families like the Duggars can have trouble paying bills like that. 

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

As @VelociRapturesaid under the way insurance worked then at least micropremies always got Medicaid since they would reach lifetime insurance limits pretty quickly. No one wants dying tiny babies because of lack of insurance and hospitals wouldn't be able to have a nicu if it was never paid for. So state legislators made it possible for them to qualify or Medicaid reguardless of family income. Under the ACA there are not lifetime caps anymore honestly I am not sure how this has effected Medicaid picking up the bill since I don't know anyone who has been in hat situation in the last few years thankfully. 

20 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Heres a @Palimpsestcomment from 2012 discussing it:

It is so annoying to see riffles in 5 year old posts and not be able to edit them. :laughing-jumpingpurple:

Yes, that was true at the time.   I think in all states, including AR, Josie would have qualified for Medicaid regardless of parental income.  And I'll eat my hat if Jim Bob didn't accept it for her.

I'm British so I don't know the ins and outs of it, but my partner's nephew (in the US) suffered catastrophic brain damage at birth and he will be covered by Medicaid for life, regardless of how much his parents earn. He's seven, so I guess exactly Josie's age? His condition is such that he can't be cared for at home, and he'll remain in his continuing care unit until he's at least 18 - Medicaid pays for this.

@VelociRapture @Jess and Palimpsest

I just did some googling and found that medicaid would, indeed, have been in play for Josie; however, if the Duggars had private health insurance at the time - medicaid would only have "kicked in" after their private insurance was billed.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Any child, regardless of family income, qualifies for Medicaid if they have been hospitalized for in excess of 30 consecutive days.  It has been speculated for years that the Duggars took advantage of this benefit and that Medicaid picked up Josie's medical bills.  HOWEVER, this is not a known fact.

Bills for NICU babies as sick as Josie was can certainly be extreme.  The Duggars have repeatedly stated that they do carry very good health insurance.  (As a business person, JB would not have been foolish enough to forgo insurance coverage on his 19 children.) In that case, Medicaid would have become a secondary insurer - picking up deductibles and co-pays until the insurance plan's out of pocket maximum was reached.  I can tell you from my experience that my daughter hit our insurance out of pocket maximum within the first day of her Level IV NICU stay.  After that, our insurance paid 100% of her (and the rest of the family's) medical bills for the year.

The Duggars would have had to apply for this Medicaid coverage - it is not automatic.  Sometimes it makes sense to do so when you have a very sick child.  Sometimes it does not.  In our case, with the help of the hospital financial affairs department, we CHOSE not to go the Medicaid route as would have limited some of the treatments that would have been available to our child under our employer sponsored insurance alone.  I would assume that the Duggars went through a similar process.  We do not know what they chose to do.

ETA: Not all insurance plans - even then - had restrictive annual or lifetime limits.  Ours did not and we don't know if the Duggars' did or did not.  

1 minute ago, Born Skeptic said:

Medicaid would have become a secondary insurer - picking up deductibles and co-pays until the insurance plan's out of pocket maximum was reached.

As I said in my follow-up to my initial inquiry, when I went on a googlehunt. :) 

Thanks for all the corrections, everybody! Sorry for causing a thread drift.

11 hours ago, Dubiousclaire said:

My un-dubious husband filled two shoeboxes for Samaritans purse. You can't snark on giving toys and school supplies to children.  I know they might have to listen to a sermon first, before getting their gifts. 

I don't snark on that.  I do strongly suggest that people who support Samaritan's Purse and Operation Christmas Child reconsider.

Please encourage your husband to donate money directly an educational or medical NGO effort overseas instead.  It may feel good to pack a shoe box, but it is not really a good idea.  Some valid reasons below but there is plenty more criticism out there:  

http://emilyjoypoetry.com/7-reasons-not-to-participate-in-operation-christmas-child-this-year

https://lifereconsidered.com/2015/11/07/unpacking-operation-christmas-child/

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2002/dec/18/guardiansocietysupplement7

7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

As I said in my follow-up to my initial inquiry, when I went on a googlehunt. :) 

Thanks for all the corrections, everybody! Sorry for causing a thread drift.

Don’t be sorry! It’s always good to ask questions if you aren’t sure the information stated is correct. :) 

45 minutes ago, Jess said:

As @VelociRapturesaid under the way insurance worked then at least micropremies always got Medicaid since they would reach lifetime insurance limits pretty quickly. No one wants dying tiny babies because of lack of insurance and hospitals wouldn't be able to have a nicu if it was never paid for. So state legislators made it possible for them to qualify or Medicaid reguardless of family income. Under the ACA there are not lifetime caps anymore honestly I am not sure how this has effected Medicaid picking up the bill since I don't know anyone who has been in hat situation in the last few years thankfully. 

I believe Medicaid is still an option for NICU families. The March of Dimes recommends families speak with a social worker or Hospital financial representative to see if you should apply for additional insurance coverage. 

https://www.marchofdimes.org/complications/paying-for-nicu-care.aspx

We are incredibly fortunate we didn’t need to consider that. We had already hit our deductible, so pretty much everything relating to my daughter’s birth and NICU stay was covered fully. I’m pretty sure we only had to pay for the snacks we had while I was hospitalized - Husband had a lot of fun wheeling me to the cafeteria late that first night. I was pretty hungry, even after having dinner, and he was excited about pushing me around in a wheelchair. :pb_rollseyes::pb_lol:

It was still terrifying to receive the documentation stating how much everything cost though - $3,500 for the epidural, about $19,000 for the birth, and between $65-70,000 for Velocibaby’s week in NICU. I can’t stress enough how grateful I am that lifetime caps were eliminated by the ACA. My baby would have been well on her way to hitting that cap if they weren’t and she had pretty basic NICU care. I can only imagine how much more frightening it all would have been if there was no ban on lifetime limits and she had required more intensive care or a longer stay. 

On 2017-11-16 at 3:14 AM, aurora_boo said:

This bathroom/trans business:

I'm guessing that the anti-trans people would be fine with Buck Angel in the ladies' bathroom then?

Pffff.

Exactly, they always forget about trans men. Someone wrote "protect AFAB (assigned female at birth) women's places" on the wall of one of the women's bathrooms at my campus. Okay, so if only cis women can use the women's bathroom, and only cis men use the men's bathroom, then where the hell are everybody else supposed to pee? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived