IGNORED

Dillards 45: The Grift Goes On

Coconut Flan

We helped out  to put together food baskets today.  All anyone has to do is show a need, then they come pick up a turkey and all the trimmings. It's our local food bank. Nobody cares what religion you are. Also, the local churches are takkng turns to provide shelter for The homeless. No preaching, just a warm place for the night.

• Replies 612
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, walking around with a diamond ring in an impoverished area isn't smart. I don't fault her for leaving it. The "rape and murder are realities we face here" comment from Derick was dumb. As if rape and murder don't happen in astounding rates in gold old 'Murica. Though, El Salvador and Guatemala have the one of the highest murder rates in the world. Once again, the Dillards tried to convey the severity of the situation in an insensitive matter. 

As for Josie's Medicare. I swear I saw a clip where JB said he was planning to get off Medicare but was glad he didn't after Josie's premature birth. 

I don't have time to find the clip now, though. 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

We helped out  to put together food baskets today.  All anyone has to do is show a need, then they come pick up a turkey and all the trimmings. It's our local food bank. Nobody cares what religion you are. Also, the local churches are takkng turns to provide shelter for The homeless. No preaching, just a warm place for the night.

Thank you for helping out.  And thank you for doing that way.  :my_heart:

On 11/16/2017 at 5:02 PM, SuchABlessing said:

what kind of ludicrous program requires you to be a resident and yet only has ONE class a week and cost $10,000?? How on EARTH does that make sense? 

Jill and Dereck need to realize just how badly they've blown it. Every bridge they've crossed, they've burned. Got fired from Walmart for god knows what. Got fired from SOS for over exaggerating the dangerous conditions in CA and refusing to learn Spanish (Not that the conditions aren't dangerous there, but they were two rich white folk living in a gated and guarded living facility). They made no attempt to hide the fact that they took "donations" for their ministry to go on vacations. Dereck gotten himself fired from TLC for bullying another reality show star (he IS entitled to his opinions, but he should have known better to go after someone TLC supports when he relies on TLC or a paycheck. talk about biting the hand that feeds you!) Now the begging for money bc he's such a special snowflake he doesn't want to get a job. 

Seriously,  they need to stop trying to be relevant and popular bc it CLEARLY is backfiring.

Derrick needs a damn job. Jill needs to join a club or find a hobby. Duggars don't expect handouts but want handouts 

7 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

Yes, walking around with a diamond ring in an impoverished area isn't smart. I don't fault her for leaving it. The "rape and murder are realities we face here" comment from Derick was dumb. As if rape and murder don't happen in astounding rates in gold old 'Murica. Though, El Salvador and Guatemala have the one of the highest murder rates in the world. Once again, the Dillards tried to convey the severity of the situation in an insensitive matter. 

Thats the thing that usually makes me roll my eyes. It's just ridiculous for someone to say: South America (Central America, Africa, insert whatever dangerous place you want here) - oh you will get robbed (raped, murdered)... Those countries have high crime rates, but so does Columbia (if you are in the wrong place - and yet I was just as safe in Columbia as I could've been in Europe at the same time.

Rape and murder is not exclusivly happening in *insert bad, bad place*, but everywhere around the world, the country can be as civilized as it would. If you want to avoid those places, don't fly there in the first place. Also, living in a gated community with security guards and TV-Crew's doesn't exactly help either...

Derick is simply an idiot that has no qualifications, and I wouldn't wish him on anyone in the world. People all around the world have enough to worry about to have a oversized, unkept blabbering idiot running after them screaming that they will go to hell unless they attend masses in his peculiar cult.

9 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

The Dillards are pimping Cross Church and their "Blessing Baskets" for the poor. Except you don't get the food until after you sit through one of their ridiculous sermons. Way to prey on needy people Dillards! Recruiting numbers at the church must be awfully low. 

Image added, sorry about sizing!

Screenshot_20171118-232324.jpg

I was going to share Jill’s Instagram post yesterday, but my brain wasn’t working and I couldn’t think of the right snarky comment to pair with it. It’s good to know my suspicions on the event were on point though - it seems the Dills never do anything nice without an ulterior motive. 

9 hours ago, bananabread said:

Attempt at Jessa-style cute kids post to distract from D-Wreck's antics? Desperately trying to rehabilitate the Duggar brand? Just lightheartedly documenting the joys of Israel's toddler years? The world may never know.

I’d honestly say it’s the last. I don’t think either of them really care all that much about distracting or rehabilitating anything. Derick obviously doesn’t, otherwise he’d shut his goddamn mouth and go back to his home on attention whore island. 

Besides, I don’t think they’ll be as successful trying to rehabilitate their images as the Seewalds have been. Benessa has been given the benefit of the doubt because they were young, they’re attractive, they have super cute kids, and (most importantly) they’ve both learned to hide their shitty beliefs. The Dills? Not young (at least Derick isn’t), not attractive (Jill is - Derick isn’t), and neither of them have shown that they know when to shut up (though, again, Jill seems better at this then her husband.) They do have cute kids though. 

10 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

As for Josie's Medicare. I swear I saw a clip where JB said he was planning to get off Medicare but was glad he didn't after Josie's premature birth. 

I doubt he said that.  I believe he has said that the family has private health insurance.

A lot of people get them confused but Medicare and Medicaid are different programs.  Josie would have been eligible for Medicaid - not Medicare. *  

I, for one, have no problem with that.  Medicaid is a safety net for everyone and there should be no shame in accepting it.

The only reason this is even an issue is that Jim Bob has made a big deal about living debt-free and not ever using government assistance, as though it makes him frightfully superior.

*Medicare = federal insurance program.  Employed people pay into the trust funds during their working years.  Primarily for those over 65 but also serves younger people with disabilities and dialysis patients.  It requires deductibles and co-pays.  It works the same nationally.

Medicaid serves low-income people of every age.  Also, as explained above, premature children can be eligible.  Patients usually pay nothing but sometimes there is a small co-pay.  It is run within federal guidelines but there are are lot of differences among the states about what is covered.   

Making people in need sit through a "come to Jesus" meeting to get a food basket is disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. 

My parish hosts a community Thanksgiving dinner every year. An entire Thanksgiving meal is served. Anyone can come. The idea is that it is a place for people with no family or friends to be with and/or people in need who can't afford to have a big holiday meal at home. No prayer, or services or proselytizing. Just come and eat. A few other churches in our community donate food, time and money for it as well. 

14 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

She likely was, to an extent. They appear to have been living in a kind of gated community with armed guards. Most of us very much doubt that they personally experienced serious danger or violence while there. 

That said, there was violence in the area and one of the local men they were friendly with was murdered by a gang in the spring of this year. His murder does seem to have shaken them up, but wouldn’t explain why Jill stated what she did or why any of them described the level of danger they did. 

Personally, I think it’s pretty likely they heard stories about the dangers from other missionaries and/or from the locals while they were there. That, the distance from their families, being in an unfamiliar place, the fact that they had a small child, and the fact that Jill was pregnant during the last portion of their mission may have caused Jill to feel a higher level of fear than may have been necessary. 

Having been to ES in CA, and spending a lot of time in different countries throughout both CA and SA, almost everyone lives behind a gate or concrete wall. Like many in NA have garages, homes in the lower Americas have concrete walls with gates that surround their homes. Living behind "the gate" wouldn't be indicative of the economic area you live in- concrete floors, glass windows and indoor plumbing would though.

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Having been to ES in CA, and spending a lot of time in different countries throughout both CA and SA, almost everyone lives behind a gate or concrete wall. Like many in NA have garages, homes in the lower Americas have concrete walls with gates that surround their homes. Living behind "the gate" wouldn't be indicate of the economic area you live in- concrete floors, glass windows and indoor plumbing would though.

Is this just a custom, or was it started for safety reasons. I have never been there. 

On reddit once people were discussing how dangerous India can be for women and saying that women shouldn't visit there if they didn't want to be raped (never mind that these men saying that had never been to India themselves). I posted a comment saying that, while I didn't dispute that some areas could be dangerous for women and obviously you should always take safety precautions, I visited India as a teenage girl and had a great, rape-free experience so I wouldn't discourage women from visiting India together. I was heavily downvoted. :pb_rollseyes:

People in other countries often have the impression that America is incredibly dangerous too, given that a lot of news they hear about America is about things like mass shootings. Yes, mass shootings are more of an issue in the US than in a lot of other countries, but you're still incredibly unlikely to be a victim of one. The media just tends to make people thing that there's more danger than there actually is.

@Rachel333 I remember before I went to Egypt in 2007 I was reading reviews online about how horrific it was. How men would follow you into the bathroom, surround you on the street, et cetera.  One comment was "A woman alone? Don't even think about it." I had already bought my airfare, and being cheap, went anyway with a bit of trepidation. Guess what? Nothing happened to me. 

But God forbid I mention that I've traveled in the Middle East by myself to someone giving one of their "Danger Women! Danger!" speeches. They just stare at me not able to compute.

I understand that women need to be cautious about different things, but I really feel like the "OMG rape and murder!" message is another way of keeping women down and dependent on others.

Does Famy have a thread of her own? I need to BEC over this sign, her dining room is gorgeous but can we talk about the incorrect usage of its. That IS an apostrophe erroneously placed there, right? Also I googled this bible verse and I’ve only seen it as “in its time” without the word own.

9809741A-297C-4E47-83CC-A05F0EDE5408.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

Does Famy have a thread of her own? I need to BEC over this sign, her dining room is gorgeous but can we talk about the incorrect usage of its. That IS an apostrophe erroneously placed there, right? Also I googled this bible verse and I’ve only seen it as “in its time” without the word own.

9809741A-297C-4E47-83CC-A05F0EDE5408.jpeg

She has her own thread:

42 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

@Rachel333 I remember before I went to Egypt in 2007 I was reading reviews online about how horrific it was. How men would follow you into the bathroom, surround you on the street, et cetera.  One comment was "A woman alone? Don't even think about it." I had already bought my airfare, and being cheap, went anyway with a bit of trepidation. Guess what? Nothing happened to me. 

But God forbid I mention that I've traveled in the Middle East by myself to someone giving one of their "Danger Women! Danger!" speeches. They just stare at me not able to compute.

I understand that women need to be cautious about different things, but I really feel like the "OMG rape and murder!" message is another way of keeping women down and dependent on others.

My brother went to the Middle East and India for work and came back and was all, "You know, in some places it's really dangerous to be a woman." Like he had some sort of brilliant realization, that sometimes women have to be catious about where they go. My response was to sarcastically tell him it's unsafe to be a woman in lots of places, such as America.

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

On reddit once people were discussing how dangerous India can be for women and saying that women shouldn't visit there if they didn't want to be raped (never mind that these men saying that had never been to India themselves). I posted a comment saying that, while I didn't dispute that some areas could be dangerous for women and obviously you should always take safety precautions, I visited India as a teenage girl and had a great, rape-free experience so I wouldn't discourage women from visiting India together. I was heavily downvoted. :pb_rollseyes:

It's so victim-blamey, too. Like it's any woman's fault for being raped, EVER. India does have a huge problem with sexual violence (which obviously doesn't mean that every woman who goes to India is raped), but how does saying "just don't go to India" do anything to help anyone?

33 minutes ago, JillyO said:

It's so victim-blamey, too. Like it's any woman's fault for being raped, EVER. India does have a huge problem with sexual violence (which obviously doesn't mean that every woman who goes to India is raped), but how does saying "just don't go to India" do anything to help anyone?

Especially, ya know, Indian women.

I do think there are some places in the world where I'd rather go in a group or with a male family member/boyfriend, but I've been groped and catcalled on three continents. If I could handle it in the States, I can handle it anywhere.

I have a cold and don’t wish to bark like a trained seal durin worship so used the live stream of church service this morning.  Not quite the same but it did the trick.  At least she’s not hauling sick kids to church.

newsflash, Dereck. I live near Philadelphia. Nearby Wilmington, Delaware has the highest murder rate per capita in the country. And don't talk to me about gangs. Our area is known as "the drug corridor" bc of all the drugs being transported on I95 between NYC and DC. Everyone knows at least one person who has OD'd on heroin bc it is so plentiful here. I don't go out alone at night if I can help it. If I do, I've been taught since I was a little girl to be in a constant state of vigilance and awareness of my surroundings. I wouldn't say I live in fear, but I am abundantly aware of the realities of my location and take precautions every time I go outside. Did you think rape and murder were NOT realities of basically EVERYWHERE in the USA? You were probably safer in your guarded house in CA than anyone living in the inner city of any big US city

The issue for me isn't that Derick and Jill talked about how dangerous it was where they lived in Central American. There's nothing wrong with that, per se; it is dangerous there. It's a lot more dangerous than where they grew up. They're statistically far more likely to be victims of violent crime in Central America than in NW Arkansas, especially being seen as rich Americans. Of course, that can be mitigated by taking proper precautions, which it seems they did.

No, the issue is their white savior complex. It's not just that they went to live in a dangerous area of the world, it's that they expect accolades for it. For what? Dragging your kid and pregnant wife to a foreign country where you don't speak the language, apparently to spend your days making pinatas and baking banana bread, all the while begging strangers for tens of thousands of dollars to fund your 'mission'? What exactly were they doing there, besides being there, and being white?

If I up and moved to Detroit, it wouldn't be inaccurate for me to say that I now lived in a much more dangerous location, and I don't think I'd be hysterical to express some anxiety about that fact. What would be the height of arrogance and foolishness would be for me to move to Detroit and expect praise, adulation, and stacks of money for condescending to live in an impoverished, high crime area, because I was, I don't know, teaching inner city kids how to make paper airplanes while lamenting about how much more comfortable and safe and nice it is back in Canada.

38 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

No, the issue is their white savior complex. It's not just that they went to live in a dangerous area of the world, it's that they expect accolades for it. For what? Dragging your kid and pregnant wife to a foreign country where you don't speak the language, apparently to spend your days making pinatas and baking banana bread, all the while begging strangers for tens of thousands of dollars to fund your 'mission'? What exactly were they doing there, besides being there, and being white?

Even when the Duggars did the missioncations in 19kac, they operated under the assumption people in El Salvador was stuck in a giant hellhole and had absolutely nothing going for them until they decided to condescend to bring white Jesus to them. What the Duggars and their ilk seem not to understand is that life goes on and is worth living even if you live in very trying circumstances. The people in El Salvador get married, have children, celebrate holidays, and create culture much like everyone else. They are not lacking because they don’t practice the white fundegecalism that the Duggars think constitutes the only legitimate form of Christianity. 

El Salvadorans are also not stupid enough to give the time of day to supposed missionaries who have such a low regard for them that they won’t even bother to learn the local languages. Evangelicalism is making inroads into Central America, but not because of inept missioncationers like the Dillards. To be a successful missionary, you have to have respect for the culture you’re entering rather than see them as inferior versions of the US. I don’t think the Dillarda have a “heart for missions” so much as they have a distain for people who are not exactly like them.

In most places, random, violent crime is fairly uncommon, and behaviors do come into play, [not victim blaming at all here]. If the Dillards were being preachy assholes in Latin America, they might have been bigger targets and more at risk for being victims of a random crime. 

Beyond the exploitation of their own children, the thing that has always bothered me the most about the 2nd generation Duggars is how they felt compelled to preach at their audience despite the fact that each of them had never done a GD thing in their own life that made them the experts on anything.

Why Jill and Dereck felt compelled to preach to the people of Latin America when neither one of them has never even worked to support themselves is beyond crass. I think those behaviors would have been them bigger targets, anywhere on the planet. 

Yes, Derick worked at WM for a year...whatever.

Jill has never spend a night in a room alone, besides a hospital visit.

7 hours ago, SeekingAdventure said:

Derick is simply an idiot that has no qualifications, and I wouldn't wish him on anyone in the world.

I'm sure that Derick thinks he has qualifications (Nepal) and Jim Bob thought he has qualifications.  I imagine that it was Jill who decided she wanted to be a missionary with SOS in CA - familiar territory and all - and Jim Bob pulled some strings.  Derick and Jill then showed their true colors, in a very public way, and that was the end of that.  Ignorance and arrogance do not, to the best of my knowledge, win souls and it sounds like SOS was pissed.  The Cross Church program may provide Derick with some ingratiation skills and a nice blurb for his resume, but I don't expect that Derick, himself, will change at all.  I wouldn't wish him on anyone either.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived