IGNORED

Zoey Joy Webster Is Now Here (update)

Oh_Dear!

My second son didn’t start walking until he was 13 months old. More than happy to be carried around. He didn’t like anyone to look at him when he was walking . We had to look at him out of the corner of our eyes or he would sit down and his expression seemed to say “ I am not doing this for your amusement “. It was hilarious.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/29/2017 at 9:46 AM, formergothardite said:

With my first I exclusively breastfed on demand and coslept. I was greatly disappointed when my period showed up about a month after I gave birth. I was pumping with my second child but my period came back in about a month. If I was relying only on breastfeeding for birth control I would have a house full of children right now. 

Which is why real birth control is a blessing!

29 minutes ago, llg1234 said:

I... don't understand these pants. Wouldn't the bows be really uncomfortable to sit on???

I think their little butt cheeks will clear the bows when it comes time to just sit.  But once they lean back against a chair or sit in a car seat, I think the bows will be uncomfortable.  I'd never have put my kids in those things. 

I'm surprised that a fundy would buy them, as they pretty much dress up the butts like some sort of present.  Pedophiles the world over are probably sharing that photo right now.

Sick intentions or no, you can’t help but notice their bottoms. Why are these pants?? They don’t make fashion or practical sense, particularly not for toddlers!

Is turning a closet into a nursery something typical in US? I just don't understand it. Why not to put the bassinet next to parent's bed? easier to care for the baby at night and a milion times more confortable than sleeping in a closet!

The only other person I saw doing that was Erika Shupe and I thought she was insane (2 babies in a closet must be suffocating!) plus she had several dressers around her bedroom she could take off and have enough room for the bassinets.

Anyway, I wonder if Alyssa is using that Ezzo training Kelly used and that's why she doesn't want the baby in the master bedroom. Maybe I'm reading too much in just an image. Maybe it's a cultural issue and closets are confortable, but babies sleeping in a closet looks ugly to me, especially in a hot area. Erin and Whitney seems to co-sleep with the kids (at least, based in their IG pictures and videos). Is Alyssa the stricter mom of all the Bates kids, or am I wrong?

53 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

Is turning a closet into a nursery something typical in US? I just don't understand it. Why not to put the bassinet next to parent's bed? easier to care for the baby at night and a milion times more confortable than sleeping in a closet!

The only other person I saw doing that was Erika Shupe and I thought she was insane (2 babies in a closet must be suffocating!) plus she had several dressers around her bedroom she could take off and have enough room for the bassinets.

Anyway, I wonder if Alyssa is using that Ezzo training Kelly used and that's why she doesn't want the baby in the master bedroom. Maybe I'm reading too much in just an image. Maybe it's a cultural issue and closets are confortable, but babies sleeping in a closet looks ugly to me, especially in a hot area. Erin and Whitney seems to co-sleep with the kids (at least, based in their IG pictures and videos). Is Alyssa the stricter mom of all the Bates kids, or am I wrong?

When I moved to the USA, I was shocked at how many newborns and small babies were in a separate room to their parents. The American Association of Pediatrics recommendation to keep babies in the same room as parents has only been made in the last year or so. So I think it’s a cultural thing, not just a fundie thing. Plenty of hospitals in the states still have nurseries where the newborns sleep separate from the mother. That’s not to say that Alyssa is not using Ezzo, though. 

ETA: I know plenty of American parents do room share, so no need to hit me up with how Not All American Parents Put Their Baby In A Nursery. I am commenting on how a larger proportion of US parents seemed to do this than I ever experienced in Europe (ie I never met a single parent in Europe whose newborn was not in with them) , and moreover that the official recommendation on room and bedsharing has been different in the USA. 

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Some parents don’t have the space to allow a bassinet next to the bed like that. I’m not sure if that’s the case for the Websters, but’s it’s possible. It’s also possible that Lexi simply sleeps better in there than in the master bedroom for some reason. Or they moved her bassinet in there so they could have some alone time and just didn’t move it back out immediately. 

Finally, they live in a hot area yes - but I’m pretty positive they have air conditioning. That’s fairly standard for homes in hot areas and John works in the family HVAC business. I wouldn’t be concerned about baby overheating or anything given those circumstances.

I think it’s possible some or all of them are using Ezzo, but I don’t think this is conclusive proof at all. Each baby is different and not all of them are going to thrive with the same methods. 

3 hours ago, bal maiden said:

When I moved to the USA, I was shocked at how many newborns and small babies were in a separate room to their parents. The American Association of Pediatrics recommendation to keep babies in the same room as parents has only been made in the last year or so. So I think it’s a cultural thing, not just a fundie thing. Plenty of hospitals in the states still have nurseries where the newborns sleep separate from the mother. That’s not to say that Alyssa is not using Ezzo, though. 

ETA: I know plenty of American parents do room share, so no need to hit me up with how Not All American Parents Put Their Baby In A Nursery. I am commenting on how a larger proportion of US parents seemed to do this than I ever experienced in Europe (ie I never met a single parent in Europe whose newborn was not in with them) , and moreover that the official recommendation on room and bedsharing has been different in the USA. 

You’re correct. The first year recommendation was made around August/September of 2016 - it had previously been six months. I know this because my nephew was moved from his parents’ room to his crib right before the change was announced when he was six months old. He was already used to it so there was no point in moving him back - plus his upstairs pack n play was being sent over to our place so Velocibaby could use it as her bassinet once she was born. They wanted to give him time to adjust first and it worked out well.

We had Velocibaby in our room for six months. We were hoping to have her with us the full year, but my sister needed the pack n play back so they could attend a wedding (they had to stay overnight in a hotel.) So we transitioned her to her crib at that point and thankfully she didn’t have any trouble adjusting. If we’re lucky enough to have a second baby then I hope we can have them with us the full year, especially because we only have two bedrooms right now. We’ll deal with that if and when it happens.

And apparently some hospitals are getting rid of the nurseries because it’s more “baby friendly.” Some parents love that and some hate it because they’re exhausted and want at least one night to get some rest before jumping right in. Personally, I think nurseries should be kept and offered as an option for parents to utilize or not. That’s how my hospital approached it. Unfortunately, a NICU stay meant we didn’t have that option. 

4 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Funny you say so because I see most people around me (in Europe) that do not have their baby in their bedroom and if they do it is only for the first 2-3 months or so.

Of course Europe is not all the same but at least here in the Netherlands having a baby in your room is not very common.

Alyssa posted an IG pic of the two little girls wearing pants with giant bows on their butts. Everyone is admiring the pants in the comments. Am I the only one wondering how uncomfortable it must be to sit down on a giant bow?

How do those little girls sit on a swing (they are at a playground) or go down a slide, or go sit in their carseats, with the giant bump of the bow on their butts? 

Alyssa, if the baby is screaming on the ride home, it may be the outfit you have chosen. Maybe you should sit on a giant bow yourself for a while and see how that feels.

Sorry, but those little girls are not Christmas trees to be decorated. They are human beings with needs, including the need for sensible clothing that allows them to play in comfort. 

1 hour ago, Hisey said:

Alyssa posted an IG pic of the two little girls wearing pants with giant bows on their butts. Everyone is admiring the pants in the comments. Am I the only one wondering how uncomfortable it must be to sit down on a giant bow?

How do those little girls sit on a swing (they are at a playground) or go down a slide, or go sit in their carseats, with the giant bump of the bow on their butts? 

Alyssa, if the baby is screaming on the ride home, it may be the outfit you have chosen. Maybe you should sit on a giant bow yourself for a while and see how that feels.

Sorry, but those little girls are not Christmas trees to be decorated. They are human beings with needs, including the need for sensible clothing that allows them to play in comfort. 

Scroll up and you’ll see you aren’t the first to wonder. :pb_lol:

I’m all backwards. I think the pants are adorable and likely just for the picture. Also, although my son was in the next room, we put him in his own crib and room around 8 weeks after birth with a monitor. For various reasons unrelated to having any strong point of view on the matter, my other two slept in a crib in our room for about 6 months...

My first was a very light sleeper and would only sleep if in his own space. My dayghter was a LOUD sleeper and would constantly grunt even if dead asleep. Both of them slept away from us fairly quickly and we didnt use abusive techniques haha

8 hours ago, EyesOpen said:

I’m all backwards. I think the pants are adorable and likely just for the picture. Also, although my son was in the next room, we put him in his own crib and room around 8 weeks after birth with a monitor. For various reasons unrelated to having any strong point of view on the matter, my other two slept in a crib in our room for about 6 months...

Just for a picture of her kids' butts? No, that's not weird.

Every time I see some of the outfits Alyssa puts her kids in I silently thank God for giving me a son so nobody will ever try and stuff him into "boutique" outfits and accessorize him ... I always wonder how much people spend on these sort of things.

37 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

Every time I see some of the outfits Alyssa puts her kids in I silently thank God for giving me a son so nobody will ever try and stuff him into "boutique" outfits and accessorize him ... I always wonder how much people spend on these sort of things.

Some of it is cute, but not really practical for everyday use. My grandparents got Velocibaby a red velvet Santa like dress for her birthday last week. It’s cute and all, but it’s clearly kind of pricey and we really haven’t put her in dresses at all. Pants and onesies are a lot easier for her to play and move around in. Plus, my sister’s dog has a thing for free flowing fabrics and needing to destroy them... so now I’m thinking we’ll have her wear it for five minutes on Christmas before changing her into the Christmas outfit I had picked for her (which has a removable tutu skirt, so no temptations for the furry nephew.)

8 hours ago, Hisey said:

Just for a picture of her kids' butts? No, that's not weird.

I mean... if a parent wants a photo like that for a private family photo album then I get it I guess. The fact that they’re holding hands and kind of “facing the world together” is kind of cute. But the idea of dressing them like that just for an informal photo op and immediately changing them into something else does seem a little odd to me. Maybe my kid is just a jerk, but she squirms like crazy when I dress her and I do everything possible to limit how often I need to change her clothes during the day.

Husband and I are also those parents that dressed our baby and ourselves in everyday normal clothes for our professional photos earlier this month though. So maybe I’m the weird one. :pb_lol:

Having had one that walked at almost 16 months and one that walked at 10 months I prefer 16 months. Ideal is probably somewhere in the middle. My daughter who walked late used 2 word sentences even before 1 and used 3 and 4 word sentences at 1.5. My son is 16 months and uses some words and plenty of gestures and pointing but only occasionally combines 2 words. He is still considered good at speaking for his age but having had his sister as a first he feels almost slow. 

My daughter was about 20 months old when she said "Förgrymmad!" (the word means something like wretched and is a word I would not be surprised if a child of 5-7 years old would not understand). My husband looked confused and said the word back. She answered "Den mask förgrymmad" "That mask wretched" She pointed to an African mask my husband got a long time ago from his aunt. And yes, it does look wretched. It was so weird. My son is more a typical child that says his name, mom, dad and so on. He climbs better than his sister did at 2.5-3 years old though. He can kick a ball and sometimes even throw it. He runs like a maniac. 

They are all very different and still made from the same two people's DNA. One should not worry too much if they are not exactly on cue. Sure there are kids that do need help but the early years it is more common that it is just normal variations.

2 hours ago, elliha said:

Having had one that walked at almost 16 months and one that walked at 10 months I prefer 16 months. Ideal is probably somewhere in the middle. My daughter who walked late used 2 word sentences even before 1 and used 3 and 4 word sentences at 1.5. My son is 16 months and uses some words and plenty of gestures and pointing but only occasionally combines 2 words. He is still considered good at speaking for his age but having had his sister as a first he feels almost slow. 

My daughter was about 20 months old when she said "Förgrymmad!" (the word means something like wretched and is a word I would not be surprised if a child of 5-7 years old would not understand). My husband looked confused and said the word back. She answered "Den mask förgrymmad" "That mask wretched" She pointed to an African mask my husband got a long time ago from his aunt. And yes, it does look wretched. It was so weird. My son is more a typical child that says his name, mom, dad and so on. He climbs better than his sister did at 2.5-3 years old though. He can kick a ball and sometimes even throw it. He runs like a maniac. 

They are all very different and still made from the same two people's DNA. One should not worry too much if they are not exactly on cue. Sure there are kids that do need help but the early years it is more common that it is just normal variations.

I think this (and a lot of what has been mentioned) applies mostly to full term infants, not preemies though. Preemie parents have to keep a close eye on milestones to be sure their infant is developing in a relatively normal manner. I know full term parents have to watch too, but it’s a bit different when your kid was born prematurely.

That said, we aren’t too worried and I was mostly joking about comparing Velocibaby to Lexi. I know how differently kids develop just by looking at my daughter and nephew - he’s always been a mover not a talker and she’s been making noises since day one. Velocibaby is lagging a bit on some stuff, but her pediatrician agrees with us that she’s progressing remarkably well given the circumstances and that there’s no need to be overly concerned at this point. 

Husband and I are currently debating whether she’ll walk or talk first. She babbles like crazy (no real words yet), but she clearly is eager to walk around like a big kid. She needs to learn how to stand unsupported first though. It’ll be fun seeing which one happens first - though, knowing my kid, she may just troll us by doing both at the same time right before her next appointment. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, elliha said:

I've said this in here before, but my mother did childcare for my nephew and a friend's baby when they were infants/toddlers.  My nephew walked at 10 months and was a fearless ball of hell on wheels, where as the other child (they are a month or so apart in age), didn't walk until way later, but verbally was really advanced.  I swear I was able to have two sided conversations with him when he was a year and a half old (probably not, but it felt like it).

It's so facinating to watch how children develop, I also found it really interesting how much of their personalities are inate and they are born with.

10 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I think this (and a lot of what has been mentioned) applies mostly to full term infants, not preemies though. Preemie parents have to keep a close eye on milestones to be sure their infant is developing in a relatively normal manner. I know full term parents have to watch too, but it’s a bit different when your kid was born prematurely.

That said, we aren’t too worried and I was mostly joking about comparing Velocibaby to Lexi. I know how differently kids develop just by looking at my daughter and nephew - he’s always been a mover not a talker and she’s been making noises since day one. Velocibaby is lagging a bit on some stuff, but her pediatrician agrees with us that she’s progressing remarkably well given the circumstances and that there’s no need to be overly concerned at this point. 

Husband and I are currently debating whether she’ll walk or talk first. She babbles like crazy (no real words yet), but she clearly is eager to walk around like a big kid. She needs to learn how to stand unsupported first though. It’ll be fun seeing which one happens first - though, knowing my kid, she may just troll us by doing both at the same time right before her next appointment. :pb_lol:

I am not saying one should not keep track of milestones, just not to worry too much and over-analyze. When your child is a preemie there is a higher risk of them having issues beyond just being born too early. I have friends who have preemies and they do seem to mostly follow the same pattern though that they vary in when they reach milestones too. If the child needs a little help for example physical therapy that is not going to harm them if they are just delayed because of natural variation. I would question a doctor who was extremely rigid about milestones even with a preemie though but that doesn't seem to be the case for you. 

It would be fun if she learned how to walk the same day! 

On 12/14/2017 at 5:26 AM, Mela99 said:

I think if Alyssa is really interested in her daughters' developing good gross motor skills, she'd dress them in clothes that allowed them to move freely and easily. That's how they'll learn to use the slide and the swing. Instead, she dresses them in clothes that INHIBIT that sort of learning.

The thing is, 1 and 2-year olds are going to look beautiful no matter what they wear. Little children are just beautiful. They have perfect skin, big eyes, soft hair, and the sort of innocent curiosity and wonder that just breaks your heart (and makes for great photos). There's no need to dress them in clothes like that. You can get a great photo by putting them in little overalls and a t-shirt.

My niece was speaking sentences at 15 months old. She walked around ten months as well. My daughter (who is on the autism spectrum) walked around a year but didn't talk till she around four and half.

I was nearly silent until 18 months -- my mom was worried because she couldn't even get me to babble -- and then I suddenly started talking in full sentences. My dad was on a business trip and my first words were "I want my dad. Where is my dad?" It really freaked my mom out to hear that from her previously silent child.

When my dad came back from his trip I greeted him with, "Hi dad. Read me a book." He had never heard me speak before.

• Jellybean locked this topic
  • Jellybean unlocked and locked this topic

Archived