IGNORED

Maxwell 14: Editing Out Fun-Loving

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

We eat way too many carbs at my family thanksgiving. Mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, rolls, noodles, not to mention all the dessert. 

Excellent.  I refer to these as complementary carbohydrates! 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m so excited that I get two thanksgivings this year!! Thursday we’re going to do all our traditional favorites (my mother in law and I) Turkey, stuffing, potatoes, green bean casserole, corn... who knows what else. Friday more family is coming in and since Mom and I are the only turkey lovers we’re doing a roast and more sides!! I’m so happy!

6 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

Does anybody else put their corn on their mashed potatoes - making a tiny carb casserole in one section of your plate?  

Not intentionally, but sometimes when the corn is next to the mashed potatoes on my plate they can tend to mix together. Especially at holidays when every part of the plate is used.

All my salty carbs can mix I won't care. The noodles can mix with the mashed potatoes, corn and stuffing. It all goes well together. 

Ok I'm leaving this thread because it's making me so hungry....

I used to just mix my potatoes and corn bite by bite - grab a forkful of potatoes and then scoop up some corn. But then, one year, when I was a teenager, I saw my cousin just plop his corn right onto his potatoes - and I was like "DANG!! He just doesn't even care what people think!"  So now I'm all about the tiny cornato casserole. Yum!  

honestly, i think i put more effort into Saturday dinners than Teri puts into Thanksgiving, and i don't even have three adult able-bodied SAHDs to help me.  

our Thanksgivings usually consist of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas, mashed potatoes, rolls, green salad, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, broccoli/cauliflower, cranberry sauce, and mashed potatoes.  (seriously, like 25 lb of potatoes).  my sister likes to include a new item every year as a surprise.  then dessert is pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, apple pie, and something involving chocolate.  

@usmcmom, "Cornato Casserole" needs to be a thing!!

22 minutes ago, catlady said:

honestly, i think i put more effort into Saturday dinners than Teri puts into Thanksgiving, and i don't even have three adult able-bodied SAHDs to help me.  

our Thanksgivings usually consist of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, peas, mashed potatoes, rolls, green salad, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, broccoli/cauliflower, cranberry sauce, and mashed potatoes.  (seriously, like 25 lb of potatoes).  my sister likes to include a new item every year as a surprise.  then dessert is pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, apple pie, and something involving chocolate.  

@usmcmom, "Cornato Casserole" needs to be a thing!!

Just wondering...do you serve mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving? :content:

7 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

sometimes!!  

we do such a massive quantity because we all think that they taste better the next day, and everyone wants leftovers.

If you don't specifically plan for Thanksgiving leftovers, then you can just see yourself out. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. 

I mean, we ALWAYS plan on a turkey sandwich and reheated potatoes, stuffing and green bean casserole the next day. And pie. More pie. We're not animals, for Pete's sake!! 

My family has the last few years taken to going out for Thanksgiving... it was getting to the point that my mom and my sisters and I were doing all the cooking and prep work, while the others brought drinks and maybe a casserole. It was just so much work! So now we do the big family home-cooked meal on Christmas, and the rest of the holidays either go out to eat or if one of my aunts is in charge, cater in. Each holiday is at a different person's house. Much nicer and more time to spend together with less cleanup, even though the food is never quite as good. 

(I like mixing pinto beans into my mashed potatoes, but we usually don't have pintos at Thanksgiving. We do have mashed potatoes and potato salad, though!)

Griselda Teri's thanksgiving dinner sounds like a typical run of the mill Sunday dinner.  What a disappointment.  I hope Stud John goes to the Bontragers for thanksgiving.  To me it ain't thanksgiving without mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, and cherry pie.

That salad looks gross but I hate boiled eggs and ranch, eww.

I'm a latin girl who knows nothing about thanksgiving but that dinner looks boring af.

20 minutes ago, SPHASH said:

Griselda Teri's thanksgiving dinner sounds like a typical run of the mill Sunday dinner.  What a disappointment.  I hope Stud John goes to the Bontragers for thanksgiving.  To me it ain't thanksgiving without mashed potatoes, deviled eggs, and cherry pie.

John will probably be missing from the thanksgiving photos, he seems to really enjoy being with the Bontrangers. His smile reaches his eyes there and he will get more than 2 animal crackers and a salad. 

9 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

John will probably be missing from the thanksgiving photos, he seems to really enjoy being with the Bontrangers. His smile reaches his eyes there and he will get more than 2 animal crackers and a salad. 

I hope he does! I would much prefer the food at the Bontragers. Plus it seems like a more relaxed atmosphere.

6 hours ago, usedbicycle said:

Life shouldn't always be about simplifying, organizing, making more efficient. 

I like my Thanksgivings long, complicated, chaotic, delicious, disorganized, full of warmth and laughter. But then again we drink wine. 

Ditto to this, and I would only add that in our family, everyone (family and guests alike) gets a say about what they want on the table, and so if anyone has a particular favorite food he or she wants, it goes on the list. 

As a result, we have way too much of everything, and boatloads of leftovers, but that is kind of the point of Thanksgiving, isn't it?

3 hours ago, usmcmom said:

Mashed Potatoes.jpg

Compare and Contrast:

Option 1 -

God Is Blessing Our Family With Another Son!

We know just what you all are thinking- "this can't be possible to have another wedding announcement already, after three weddings last month?!?!" But it is very true! Our eldest daughter is engaged!

Her boyfriend, John Maxwell, proposed to her at a gorgeous setting, out on the edge of one of our hay fields, beside the woods, and she said "YES"!!

Her ring is absolutely stunning! John designed it himself and it is one incredible ring.

Our entire family loves John and he fits in so well with us. We are THRILLED to be gaining another brother, and so excited to have our very own Chels marrying such a good man! They are having so much fun together planning their December 30th wedding, and we can't wait for another celebration!

"For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside Thee, what He hath prepared for him that waiteth for Him."

-Isaiah 64:4

Option 2: 

JOHN MAXWELL AND CHELSY BONTRAGER ARE ENGAGED!

Guess what?? John is engaged to Chelsy Bontrager with a December 30th wedding! Some may know of the Bontragers’ due to their participation in the Bible Bee or maybe attended one of their family concerts. They are a delightful family who loves and serves the Lord with a great love for His Word and His truth.

We are excited to see what the Lord has for John and Chelsy as they begin a new life together serving Him.

There are many wedding plans being discussed plus working on the house that John bought a couple of months ago—debt free! We’ll be sharing on that soon!

Some have wondered why we hadn’t posted anything earlier. Well, we had planned not to post about them until they were married like we did for Joseph and Elissa. We had chosen the path of not posting about a relationship until after the wedding for the privacy of our children. However, the Bontragers’ posted about the engagement, so it is now public, and we re-evaluated.

Love,

The Maxwells

PS - Just love the mashed potato kayak!  

2 hours ago, Alisamer said:

My family has the last few years taken to going out for Thanksgiving... it was getting to the point that my mom and my sisters and I were doing all the cooking and prep work, while the others brought drinks and maybe a casserole. It was just so much work! So now we do the big family home-cooked meal on Christmas, and the rest of the holidays either go out to eat or if one of my aunts is in charge, cater in. Each holiday is at a different person's house. Much nicer and more time to spend together with less cleanup, even though the food is never quite as good. 

(I like mixing pinto beans into my mashed potatoes, but we usually don't have pintos at Thanksgiving. We do have mashed potatoes and potato salad, though!)

My dad's family eats out, too. Nobody has a home big enough for everyone, and everyone has to travel at least an hour to get to someone else's home. It's not conducive to having people make stuff and bring it together. 

There's a nice restaurant that's centrally located that has a huge buffet for Thanksgiving every year. It's got multiple versions of all the traditional stuff, plus a bunch of non-traditional stuff, and like 30 desserts. 

Everyone leaves happy this way. 

One day, when DH and I finally buy a house, I'd like to do Thanksgivings at my home, but until then, this is better. 

Ah, Thanksgiving. Another American thing that I will never truly understand. 

Christmas adverts are all over the TV now, full of the old cliches of giant family dinners, the same old films being advertised on Sky Cinema, the latest expensive-as-fuck must-have toys... Not seen the John Lewis advert yet. To explain, John Lewis is a big department store chain who put out a 'tearjerking' ad every year that becomes a big talked-about thing, usually involving animals in some way. It's a proper British tradition now. 

I like Christmas now, as a 22-year-old who still lives at home but perhaps when I'm older with my own kids I'll start dreading it every year. 

8 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Ah, Thanksgiving. Another American thing that I will never truly understand. 

I don't care about understanding it. I just love it! My son called it "eating day" when he was a toddler. And I thought the name fit perfectly. It's an excuse to get a day off of work, eat a shit ton of good food, and hang out with the family. And fall asleep in a chair in a food coma.

22 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I like Christmas now, as a 22-year-old who still lives at home but perhaps when I'm older with my own kids I'll start dreading it every year. 

In my case, the holidays were even more fun after I had kids.  I hope they will be for you, too.

Now you've got me curious about those John Lewis commercials you mentioned.  I wonder if any are on youtube?

On 11/6/2017 at 7:33 PM, anjulibai said:

4. Frazier

Actually it's Frazer. Teri's dad was Rex L Frazer. Her mother (aka Gigi) is Janice, nee Krattet.

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I bet that 1 veggie is a potato as well. Does not count. 

Ha!  You called it!

Teri says,

"For Thanksgiving our vegetable is mashed potatoes, which we usually don’t even consider a vegetable. We make about 5 lbs of mashed potatoes."

So why consider it a vegetable on Thanksgiving? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived