IGNORED

Dillards 41: Chocolate, Cheese, and Other Things More Interesting

choralcrusader8613

22 hours ago, Georgiana said:

snip

If you believe a fetus is a person, you OUGHT to have a REASON.  

snip

My son was a person from the moment I knew I was pregnant.  I loved, wanted, imagined everything about him and his potential. 

All women have every choice everytime.  It is soley a woman issue, and no woman should tell another how to feel.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I guess I assumed that international students were seen as more vulnerable, because they're away from their friends and family. In some cases, it might be their first time away from home. I think international students are seen as easy marks.

I don't know if that means I'm cynical or that these proselytizers are cynical.

This is my thinking too, and I also believe there's a touch of cultural arrogance involved: "Oh, these poor little foreigners haven't been able to hear the Good News in their inferior part of the world!" 

I was an RA in mainly international dorms, they are more vulnerable. It's a lot more hand holding to get settled, a lot more questions and most schools try very hard to make sure incoming students have mentor access to other students (usually older students from their home country). Lots of groups go out of their way to reach out and be welcoming, both clubs and religious groups and for the most part I think it truly helps at first. 

At least in our dorm there were no religious conversions due to outreach programs like what the Dillards are involved in. If anything steps away from religion, but plenty of curious young adults showing up to events for free food though :) The only people I recall from college making big religious changes were converting for partners.  AR might be a bit different though!

Derick's latest tweet.

The responses are amazing!!!! Oh Derick, you dumb dumb!!! How sad that you are insinuating that it may be the girls' fault :my_confused:
But it's okay!! I laugh because otherwise I would weep for these girls, and I smile because I know when you eventually shed this mortal coil, you will have to answer for it all, the hate, the prejudice, the sinister discrimination disguised as "God's Love", the subjugation of your wife and other women who come across your path, the SHAMELESS grifting, the laziness in learning a new language as a so-called missionary in a foreign country, a lack of respect for natives of said foreign country, an appropriation of the aspects of their culture you like and a complete condemnation of those aspects which you do not, you're seeming inability to decide who you are, an accountant who works hard ,provides for his growing family, which you promised to do before GOD, or a whimsical traveling grifter, dragging your family along for the miserable ride.

Hmm what else? oh yeah!! Your hands-off approach to loving and raising your son, viewing him as a manipulative being in your household whose spirit must be reigned and  controlled, almost as though his attention needed from his mother, is in competition with your time to totally walk all over her as she willingly lays down like a doormat for you on a day-to-day basis, because she has been so brainwashed and traumatized in her young life, that she knows no better!!!

But that's how awful it is, because you DO know better, you have lived in the world, you have traveled alone, you have experienced life in a way she NEVER will,  and yet you STILL behave this way!!! Shame on you. If you ruin those poor sweet little boys with your miserable beliefs, it will truly be tragic.

I can't believe  I am saying this, but you can take some parenting lessons from Ben, he may be young, but he is growing up and developing and  showing himself to be a damn sight better father than you are turning out to be! And to think in those earlier episodes you turned your nose up at him for being so young and inexperienced, you arrogant prick. What did Ben say when he and Jessa were courting? that they needed to "catch-up" to you and Jill? Well boy did he catch up, and left you in the dust!!!!!

And Jill is doing her best, no thanks to you! I will always defend her, because of her past. You haven't exactly helped though have you? And I'm sure, because she loves you so damn much, she has helped you get through the grief of losing your father, and nearly your mother, with every last ounce of emotional support, and energy!
And you keep taking, and taking and taking, she is a shadow of her former self! You are a leech.

I hope for his sake your poor father can't see you now....

Apologies for this rant, I started off just planning to share this tweet, but Derick makes my blood boil, and I just couldn't help myself!

Edited to add: and ALL of this, doesn't even include your shaming of a teenage girl on the internet for her identity!!!

4 minutes ago, Drala said:

@Feministe9000 How are  you able to see the replies?  I'm blocked from seeing them.

I just googled Derick's twitter, and then clicked on his latest tweet, and then clicked on the reply so I could copy/paste onto here.

I don't have a twitter account, so his twitter must be public.

6 minutes ago, Drala said:

@Feministe9000 How are  you able to see the replies?  I'm blocked from seeing them.

I just click on the box of the tweet itself (not the response bubble) and it shows them, I don't have a twitter account, so they're public!

My favorite response is "I think God is trying to speak to you through these Twitter replies, maybe you should list."

That's probably right, dWRECK. 

I'm an international student myself, and actually find that the Christian fellowship on campus is mostly made up of international students (especially from East Asia and Africa). I go to a very secular school though, and the international population is quite high compared to other schools. It might be different in Arkansas.

I also had a hard time adjusting to college, but found that most other international students managed well. Either by being very sociable or faithfully sticking with other people from the same country. 

3 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

The composition of this tweet and the word usage reminds me of The Fabulous David Waller. Totally awkward. 

He probably gets the imagery, but I wonder if Jill does. JB definitely, but he was "of the world" before he became a Gothard bot.

I don't remember there being many missionaries on my campus. 

The one missionary I did get accosted by was a young international student (irony much?) from Ghana. He was getting a Masters in Religious History, and apart from the Jesus pushing (I highly resent being preached at) seemed like a nice person - although he never offered me or any of my friends food to entice us into listening to the good news (if he had we may have feigned interest). Apparently, his Church was of the opinion that the western world had fallen under the influence of satan, and that it needed to be re-evangelized. The mind boggles.

That said, I do remember eagerly looking forward to the bi-annual convention of the Chicken People (not the official name, but that's what they were known as). They were a chicken studies group that had regular symposiums at our university. The Chicken People were served breakfast in one of the atriums on campus, and it was food of the gods - coffee and freshly made donuts and cinnamon rolls. Those of us in the know would lurk on the upper levels of the atrium until the Chicken People had all left, then head down to clean up their left overs. It made a big difference to a bunch of broke students, and I still think fondly of the Chicken People's donuts. The Chicken People did leave brochures etc. around on the tables (perhaps their way of evangelizing Chicken Studies) but I don't think many of us had a clue what they were about beyond free breakfast.

""The mouth of forbidden women is a deep pit" would make a hilarious pick-up line, ladies.

Does Derick have some sort of awkward-bible-verse-generator?

Because I think Derick might read here, I am going to keep saying this to him.

Derick, you need to get a FT job that requires you to get your ass up in the morning and commute to a brick and mortar building, and to spend 8.5 hours/day working in the trenches, preferably in an isolated cubicle built for one, without internet access. You have far too much time on your hands. Use your degree and your brain to do something that contributes to the good of society.  Currently, you are nothing but dead weight and wasting time. Be the man your father and even Jesus would want you to be, because right now you are a big, lazy, failure. If you want to be a preacher, go back to school and obtain the education needed to get yourself on that path. 

Is he trying to emulate Trump his BFF with the blithering non sequitur tweets?

On 9/15/2017 at 0:19 PM, Buzzard said:

but a lighted nail clipper helped a lot. 

Oh my Rufus - where were these when mine were younglings??

BTW: Free Jana! Just putting that out there.  (It MOL worked for Jinger!)

15 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I think that it can be in a lot of circumstances, but for some, it's not so agonizing. I know that if I got pregnant right here right now at this stage in my life in the mindset I'm in and at this place in my career, I wouldn't be too torn. I am not equipped to give a baby a life I think he or she (or some other pronoun, far be it from me to assume) would deserve to have. I would terminate with very few, if any, second thoughts. If I were married to my current boyfriend, more established in my career, and not living with two roommates in a very small apartment, and had to choose between continuing and terminating a pregnancy, it would be a very different choice and different set of circumstances.

I don't like some feminists of my generation making abortion out to be totes no biggie, because it's not exactly a fun situation to be in, and it's not a very pleasant procedure that carries some risks, but I also don't like when people act like it's Sophie's Choice every time a woman has an abortion.

I think of it like a root canal. I'll do everything in my power to avoid needing one bc they suck. But shit happens and I'm glad they are available!

Dwreck it's time to actually read the Bible and not random quotes. Lots of valuable information in there about working to provide, how you should be treating your wife, and how you are supposed to be sharing the good news. Hints work or starve, treat Jill like Christ treats the church, love everyone, don't be a stumbling block for others. 

WTF is Dwreaks tweet even mean?  What is he talking about?  Poor Jill.  Can't he tweet about her in a nice way.  Idk if that was about her but it's about women and she is one.  Ugh.  This guy sucks.

8 hours ago, twinmama said:

I think of it like a root canal. I'll do everything in my power to avoid needing one bc they suck. But shit happens and I'm glad they are available!

That's exactly what I compared it to in debates with people about abortion. Look, I'd rather not get a root canal. I make certain choices in my life to ensure that I don't end up needing one. But shit happens; maybe I'll end up needing one, and the other options might not be feasible. And even if all people were educated from an early age about proper dental hygiene, people are still going to need root canals; some people are just dumbasses and will never brush their teeth. Some people just have bad luck. It would be great to make alternative treatments available (and make them affordable), but making sure that people can get root canals if they need them is a good thing, along with education about proper dental hygiene, and making preventative dental care more affordable, so fewer people end up in situations where they need to have a root canal.

I think Derick's real misguidance is just about any profession would be less work and more pay than a true ministry. He seems to think it's all evening socials, occasional bible study and ... tweeting.  

I haven't been religious in years,  but I still recognize the local pastors, ministers and head bishop because how often they are at the forefront of community outreach, the arts and emergency aid.   They all have dynamic personalities that make them great speakers, organizers and  fundraisers.  Plus many are volunteer positions to boot. The head pastor of our Baptist community  has several degrees, served in the Armed Forces and worked as a notable  professor at the public university. He is beloved and well respected in the city.

His congregation and the Catholic diocese both spearhead the most impactful and continuous homeless outreaches.  Various denominations run blood drives, run food banks, community cleanup days,  fundraise for refugees, provide addiction outreach, services for homeless teens, run thrift stores, employment centers, college scholarships, emergency shelters and Christmas drives. They work tirelessly. 

I am not religious, but I see and respect the efforts from the various denominations, I can't ever imagine Derick among them getting his hands dirty, the long hours, little pay or making the sacrifices they make. 

Aww Dwreck are you having issues with temptation and lashing out because you can't handle it? Gotta blame a woman rather than admit your less than Godly mind went somewhere it shouldn't huh? Wish some hacker would find a way to block him on Twitter.

Doug Philips might be a tool but Dwreck definitely has more than a few screws loose. 

My brother went to college in Arkansas. 07-2010 or so. From what I understand the outreach that Dereck is involved in is fairly common there.

After watching the shows for such a long time, I feel really bad for Jill. Like many others have said before, nothing has seemed to work out for her. The spark that used to be in her eyes is definitely gone. It's actually pretty depressing. I mean, I'm not sure what she was expecting being a missionary AND having 10000 kids(What world does that work in?) but I guess it has something to do with all the fundementalist stuff. Also, not sure how many children she will be able to have because it's unsafe to have c section after c section. I think she will be able to have one or maybe two more children unless she's able to give birth vaginally. Some doctor somewhere is going to have to tell her the truth at some point. 

Anyway, Dewreck actually seems very unstable. Like he's not all there. Just look at his twitter(He needs real Jesus. Not Republican Jesus.) Not necessarily speculating because I know I don't know him personally. It just wouldn't surprise me if some kind of skeleton in the closet came out. 

On another note, I have had a lot of experiences with people close to me developing mental illnesses and he reminds me of those people in my life and I very much get that vibe from him. Again, I don't know him personally. However, what we can see is that he is playing missionary/pastor and he should go get a damn job, for the sake of his wife and sons. Honestly, I think it would be in Jill's and her children's best interests to stop having babies with this man. 

1 hour ago, BlondeIdol said:

After watching the shows for such a long time, I feel really bad for Jill. Like many others have said before, nothing has seemed to work out for her. The spark that used to be in her eyes is definitely gone. It's actually pretty depressing. I mean, I'm not sure what she was expecting being a missionary AND having 10000 kids(What world does that work in?) but I guess it has something to do with all the fundementalist stuff. Also, not sure how many children she will be able to have because it's unsafe to have c section after c section. I think she will be able to have one or maybe two more children unless she's able to give birth vaginally. Some doctor somewhere is going to have to tell her the truth at some point. 

I wonder if there’s a breaking point for Jill.  A lot of people say she’s the most fundie of the sisters, but at some point will she realize that her ultra conservative upbringing has failed her and she just kinda gives up?  Her parents stifled her desire to become a midwife, her father married her off to a dud, mission work wasn’t all it was cracked up to be, and she may or may not be able to give birth to a litter of children like her mother did or like at least one or two of her sisters/sisters-in-law inevitably will.  At what point does she just say “screw it all?”

If D-wreck is reading this, yes D-wreck. A full time job. You can do this! Like to stay up all night?? Work nocturns! I do and I love it!

Which brings me to my next thing, which is the psych drift that is being dropped, but as psych is my life, I want to add in. Does Jilly Muffin have an anxiety issue? Maybe. You see, we only get the perception of her, on the show, for maybe 10-15 minutes. We can't ask her questions and engage her in a conversation about her thoughts and feelings, so even on the barest observation it would be hard to properly diagnose her with anything  right off hand due to the nature of the way she has lived her entire life. 

One of the things I have learned in school and at work is that it is fun to do psych profiles on people, but you can't offer up a diagnosis if you are not treating the patient. I love psych profiling and I do it in my head all day, but you can't throw down a definite diagnosis without 1 on 1 interaction. 

So yeah, is she mentally ill, maybe? Should mental illness be stigmatized? Nope. Was I all over with this post? Sure was. 

4 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

I wonder if there’s a breaking point for Jill.  A lot of people say she’s the most fundie of the sisters, but at some point will she realize that her ultra conservative upbringing has failed her and she just kinda gives up?  Her parents stifled her desire to become a midwife, her father married her off to a dud, mission work wasn’t all it was cracked up to be, and she may or may not be able to give birth to a litter of children like her mother did or like at least one or two of her sisters/sisters-in-law inevitably will.  At what point does she just say “screw it all?”

Yeah that covers my thoughts exactly! I find it all very sad. Something has always got to give eventually. I hope Jill ends up happy, whatever that entails, I guess.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived