IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

I think the most popular female dog name here in Germany is Emma. Sadly (?) it is also totally trendy with young girls, so I know several dogs and children named Emma. :lol: It is an old fashioned name here though, sever al very old ladies (talking +85) are named Emma. 

My dog has a normal human name, I love that. I want to keep it private because it is quite unique for a dog. We already have a name for our next dog and it will be "Fiona". Her nickname will be "Fina, Finchen or Fini". (That still depends, if she is lucky and gets a nice name from her breeder we will keep that one, but they often give horrendous names, so... Dog number one has the name the shelter gave her, her second name is "Wilma".)

My father has a name pretty common in the US, but in that spelling uncommon in Germany. So he often gets letters with the German form of that name. (We have no idea how he got the name, we have no roots or whatever with the US.) He is also named after his godfathers. 

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/09/2017 at 0:53 PM, potato said:

This reminds me a bit of one of my teachers in middle school!  Her first name is Erin and she married a guy whose name is Aaron.  They had a child and gave him Aaron as a middle name.

So in Australia Erin is pronounced Air-En and Aaron Ar-ron so quite different. I was in the USA (Mid West) & a guy introduced himself as Erin. I was a bit surprised and said 'Wow that's my sister's name!' He was also surprised. 'Your sister is called Air-En?' 

Umm so those in the Midwest pronounced Aaron the same way Australians pronounce Erin. 

3 hours ago, Gobbles said:

I think the most popular female dog name here in Germany is Emma. Sadly (?) it is also totally trendy with young girls, so I know several dogs and children named Emma. :lol: It is an old fashioned name here though, sever al very old ladies (talking +85) are named Emma. 

Me, too! I love the name, but I know too many kids and dogs called emma already. And there is the more or less feminist magazine "Emma".

37 minutes ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

So in Australia Erin is pronounced Air-En and Aaron Ar-ron so quite different. I was in the USA (Mid West) & a guy introduced himself as Erin. I was a bit surprised and said 'Wow that's my sister's name!' He was also surprised. 'Your sister is called Air-En?' 

Umm so those in the Midwest pronounced Aaron the same way Australians pronounce Erin. 

I pronounce Aaron and Erin exactly the same. Even when people differentiate they sound exactly the same to me. 

I am from the Midwest. 

18 hours ago, ThunderRolls said:

My college roommate has an unusual first name (actually quite common amongst Lutheran girls born in the 80s in the Midwest but unusual everywhere else it seems). Anyway, she ended marrying a guy whose last name was the same as her first (just spelled differently). She thought about hyphenating her maiden name and married same, but decided to just embrace the weirdness. It's actually kind of cute. 

I went to college with a girl who had a traditionally male name. Her name was along the lines of Parker Leigh Peters. She was dating a guy named virtually the exact same thing. For he same of protecting identities we will call him Parker Lee Peterson.

Anyways we called them Girl Parker and Boy Parker. Then they got married and she dropped their shared middle name and became Parker Peters Peterson. 

I know a married couple (both women) who have the same first name, but one of them has an 'e' in it when the other one doesn't. They share a surname so their names are (example, not their real names) Katy Brown and Katey Brown.

Just identifying which one.....

Two Catholics marry, and we have the Marys. His mother was a Mary (and his father was Joseph. No lie, but no Jesus in the family)

His aunt Mary B, my aunt Mary E and cousin Mary E; and other aunt Mary C, his sister Mary, My sister Mary L, and his cousins Mary K, etc. 

Sometimes there will be four Marys in the room...

@Four is Enough    My mom was Mary, her brother married a Mary, also they always socialized with my Mom's good friend also Mary.  They were all refered to as Mary plus their maiden name.  Lots of Mary's in Catholic families for sure.

In my generation of cousins, we had only one Mary, plus another one married in.  In the next generation, we only have one so far.

I am only referring to first names, all of my female first cousins have a Mary or Ann varient as their middle names.  

10 hours ago, Fun Undies said:

I was born in Germany in 1985, and if it doesn't creep you out completely, may I email you and ask your name?  Because now I'm all kinds of curious :)   if you'd rather not, just don't reply this, and I'll make sure not to ask again!

Sure! Of course you can ask me :-)

I have a friend named Mary. Her family is very Catholic. Her mother was suppose to be Mary but she was born a few days before Christmas so her mother's name is Noel. 

11 hours ago, Fun Undies said:

Hand.to.God. every time I see the name Neveah, my brain keeps reading it "Nivea" (the body cream) . . . And I get so confused for like two seconds.  I'll see myself to the prayer closet now :P

Me too. 

5 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

I pronounce Aaron and Erin exactly the same. Even when people differentiate they sound exactly the same to me. 

I am from the Midwest. 

I'm from Germany, and I have no idea how NOT to pronounce Aaron and Erin exactly the same. Even with @Milly-Molly-Mandy's explanation, they still sound the same to me. :pb_lol:

Canadian here, I don't know if it's just me, but I do pronounce Aaron and Erin differently. Just the last syllable. Aaron is 'Air-un' and Erin is 'Air-in'. It's subtle, but it's there.

Catching up here, but I for one cringe every time I read Fuckface used for Josh.  Not because I feel bad for him, but because it conjures up an image of him "doing" someone's face.  I know that wasn't the intent, but that's all I can picture.  :( 

@cascarones,  my inorganic chemistry professor  at Furman U was Dr Noel Kane-MGuire.  He was from Queensland originally and he had a twin brother, Dr Leon Kane-McGuire, who was a chemistry professor in Australia.  KM (as we called him) was a lefty and Leon was right-handed.  

@Fun Undies,  I'm another one who always reads Neveah as Nivea.

4 hours ago, singsingsing said:

Canadian here, I don't know if it's just me, but I do pronounce Aaron and Erin differently. Just the last syllable. Aaron is 'Air-un' and Erin is 'Air-in'. It's subtle, but it's there.

when I say it, Emma and Erin have the same starting syllable, whereas Aaron has the same /a/ sound as cat or hat. 

It is totally tempting to read Neveah as "Nivea", and I'm not entirely sure how it's supposed to sound!

11 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

I am from the Midwest. 

Yep!  I'm also from the Midwest US and this all happened in the Midwest, as well.  We pronounce the two names the same, which is why we'd always ask her if she was going to name her child Erin or Aaron 

25 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Re: common dog names: Has anyone ever actually met a dog named Fido?

No.

But I can say that my Brother's dog is named Emma.

My friend used to had access to all the names of all the children born in London for some research she did, and she used to collect bizarre baby names, but especially twins' names.  Think pairs along the lines of Joel and Joelle Jole (the original is actually worse!) or like Marie-Ann and Marianne, and my personal favourite, an equivalent of Hudson and Jersey (born in London, but clearly conceived elsewhere!).  Oh, and something like Dorothy and Gale, for a themed name that only worked when they were together.

She also collected kids named after the weirdest TV/book/film characters too.  I always for those kids.

....and I put my foot in my mouth over a gender neutral name today (face palm) in an email to our sports team parents. Turns out I assumed what I've always heard as a traditionally male name, not an untraditionally spelled female name, was the dad in their profile photo. She was so sweet about it, but now I feel silly, I know better to assume. 

...then I bobbled the baby, toddler and dog's names while visiting a friend (all one letter, all same syllables). Most upsetting is godson helped himself to my burrito under the guise of wanting to show me his new room, but "needed to clean it first". Tricksy child, but he knows I'm putty in his hands when he uses his old toddler name for me (kiwi) before he could quite say mine. Well not quite, told him his mum had to sign off his homework and that he needed to retry a few spots.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived