IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

My in-laws have a Fido. But it's spelled in a more "posh" way. A la Jinger. Lol

Phyteaux?

35 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Well, they were enantiomers of one another!

A cool new word for me, thank you!

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2017-09-07 at 1:35 AM, louisa05 said:

Suzanne's parents kind of won at a name that was not common (she was the only one in the school) but still not a name that would give her fits with spelling, pronunciation, etc... And kids I taught who wrote about their names for me over the years who were in that group usually liked their names the most. 

My name was like this as well and I have always liked it. Now it's really popular though and has been for a few years so I guess Miniway will have lots of little Iamtheways in his classes. 

In Sweden there is a bigger variation in names now though. The number #1 name 2017 will not be given to as many kids as the #1 name in 1977 was. When I was in highschool we only had six boys in my class. Four of them had the same first name and one a variation of that name. 

On 2017-09-07 at 11:42 PM, justodd said:

I have a friend whose name is Jenny. Not Jennifer, but Jenny. She's forever having to correct people about it. 

I've never really understood why people give their kid a name but have decided from the beginning to call it something else. It's very common in Australia too and Miniway have cousins that are named one thing but have been called something else since birth. Why not just name them that then?

On 2017-09-08 at 4:53 PM, FecundFundieFundus said:

It's important to remember that some people have dyslexia or are just not great spellers. Someone I've known for over twenty years still misspells my name when writing it (and I have a very common name; it's popped up a few times in this thread as a placeholder 'plain' name haha). Attributing malice to someone who may very well have a learning disability or other processing disorder is not helpful and doesn't make it easier for people to come out with their Dx. 

Friends and family from English speaking countries always misspell my name because it's more commonly spelled that way in English. But I stopped caring about it. Some people just can't learn. My mum has an old friend that sends her a Christmas card every year. She always get the last name (and often the name of the street) horribly wrong. And it's not a hard name at all. It's different every year as well. :)

My nephew goes by his middle name.  He's named after my stepfather (who raised us), and my sister just thought the name sounded better the way she chose than the reverse.   It's always funny when my nephew goes somewhere (like a doctors office), and they call out S____, and he just sits there.  My stepmother also called him S______ for years, even though we told her he goes by J________.

My older sister thought it was the stupidist thing she'd ever heard of  and then when she had her next child, guess what?  Yep, kid goes by his middle name as well.

23 minutes ago, Iamtheway said:

Friends and family from English speaking countries always misspell my name because it's more commonly spelled that way in English. But I stopped caring about it. Some people just can't learn. 

I understand if they didn't know the first time they spelled and got it wrong it a lot of names have different spellings.  But I don't understand why anyone would keep spelling it wrong after that when they know its wrong.  I keep Christmas cards or have those names written down so I make sure to spell them correctly when sending out Christmas cards or other things in the mail. I can't imagine purposely misspelling names like that. 

I've always loved my old fashioned name. It's Janet and I feel like it suits me. I only knew a couple of other Janets growing up and I am always surprised to run into one now.  In my family we all had names that could be shortened and only two of us ever went by nicknames. The other two were adamant about not shortening our names. My pet peeve is having someone immediately shorten it to Jan. I am  not a Jan. Jan is  cute and perky and blonde. I am most assuredly not. I am also  not a Janette. If I don't pronounce it that way why should someone else do it. I could also bitch about the fact that my brothers have middle names and my  sister and I don't but I think I may have already done that.

Obligatory long long long time lurker first time poster. Just needed to talk about my name!

All three of my name are boys names. My parents are weird. They couldn't decide on any female name when my Mom was pregnant so they just went with the boy name they came up with. On the phone or picking prescriptions or such, people will always refer to "my first name" as my son or husband lol. My name is also misspelled constantly which I don't understand because it is not an unusual name or an uncommon name, or even difficult to spell. I don't even bother correcting people anymore.

I always wished my parents had at least given me a feminine middle name to go by or had feminine name like my Mother or even a feminine nickname but nope!

It's not the end of the world but I have always resented my name...

We have a cat named Hindi. We got her (and I named her) before my daughter was a year old. My daughter is now 11 years old. I sent her a text about Hindi and she texted back "Her name is Hindy. I changed her name years ago." Ha! It cracks me up. My husband tried to find a free template online to print out a birth certificate for our cat just to tease our daughter about the spelling but he couldn't find one. 

Jinger continues to have a great child-free time on a date where she went ice-skating with Jer, rocking a cute outfit. I can just imagine how the other J-slaves try to ice skate in long skirts (looking at you, dress-on-dirt-bike Joy).

sk.PNG

Ugh at the person who commented "Don't rush kids."  Yes, most of us share that sentiment, but what if she is struggling with infertility?  Reading that could be upsetting.

They used to play broomball. Did the girls play or was it just the boys? They didn't use skates, though. Go Jinger.

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

They used to play broomball. Did the girls play or was it just the boys? They didn't use skates, though. Go Jinger.

Both boys and girls. The girls used to skate sometimes too. When you're used to skating in long skirts it must be nice to skate in pants/leggings!

4 hours ago, jcanglin991 said:

My pet peeve is having someone immediately shorten it to Jan. I am  not a Jan. Jan is  cute and perky and blonde. I am most assuredly not.

It's interesting how we get an idea of which type of person "goes" with a name or a nickname. The only Jan I know isn't a Janet and she isn't blonde or perky. :) So my expectation of who "goes" with that nickname is very different from yours.

The funny ones, in my head, are the Jennifers, the Carries (Caris, Keris), and the Brians, because I have known so many people with those names. I can both like and dislike the name Jennifer, for example, depending on which Jennifer I have in mind!

@WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? I agree! All the Jans I know are dark haired and definitely not perky. Also not Janet's, just Jan.

I have never taken it upon myself to call someone a nickname, unless we are good friends. It's strange that some people just shorten others' names upon meeting. 

10 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I understand if they didn't know the first time they spelled and got it wrong it a lot of names have different spellings.  But I don't understand why anyone would keep spelling it wrong after that when they know its wrong.  I keep Christmas cards or have those names written down so I make sure to spell them correctly when sending out Christmas cards or other things in the mail. I can't imagine purposely misspelling names like that. 

I think they just don't think about it. My mother in law has learned though. I take that as a sign she approves of me. :)

4 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

Ugh at the person who commented "Don't rush kids."  Yes, most of us share that sentiment, but what if she is struggling with infertility?  Reading that could be upsetting.

Or he. 

7 hours ago, BlondeIdol said:

I always wished my parents had at least given me a feminine middle name to go by or had feminine name like my Mother or even a feminine nickname but nope!

My name is ALWAYS misspelled and mispronounced as well. Well not even misspelled, just switched to much more common names that rhyme with mine. I too have stopped correcting people because it's useless lol. I  wish my parents had thought it through a little more because it's definitely a hindrance. 

7 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

You're right. Absolutely right. But (I hate the word but), given their many anwers on the topic they are just waiting: Body language, how they handled Spurg, their literally anwers "somewhere in the next 5 years"...if they were struggling they would still be all like  Joy about it: can't wait to start a family, we're so excited or this -vomit- new season of life etc etc. 

My mom is named Janet, and my dad calls her Jan. She's short, brunette, and non that perky. A lot of people in the service industry call her Jenette, though. 

10 hours ago, BlondeIdol said:

Welcome to the light! Feeling ya, I am a Terri. Bleh. Hate it, always have. Different people have different nicknames for me and I love that because each one is unique to special peeps in my world. Predominately though its Tez even at work with my staff because here in Straya, we like to shorten EVERYFUCKINGTHING! Those who dont like their names shortened would likely find us aussies a bit irritating LOL

1 hour ago, HurricaneBells said:

Welcome to the light! Feeling ya, I am a Terri. Bleh. Hate it, always have. Different people have different nicknames for me and I love that because each one is unique to special peeps in my world. Predominately though its Tez even at work with my staff because here in Straya, we like to shorten EVERYFUCKINGTHING! Those who dont like their names shortened would likely find us aussies a bit irritating LOL

Haha. The only people allowed to shorten my name are my aunt and uncle. They are the sort of people that talk how foreigners imagine. G'Day, Strewth, All the very stereotypical "Australian" phrases. It's just how they talk, so I have accepted only they call be the shortened version ofmmy name.

Anyway it could be worse. You could be "NOT HAPPY JAN" or "So hot today Rhonda". You'd be more than welcome to come of my office if you wish to be addressed as Terri though. Only one person I know seems to go by their nickname, and they requested it! 

7 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

My name is ALWAYS misspelled and mispronounced as well. Well not even misspelled, just switched to much more common names that rhyme with mine. I too have stopped correcting people because it's useless lol. I  wish my parents had thought it through a little more because it's definitely a hindrance. 

Yeah it especially annoys me when it's my relatives who have known me since birth or in email or facebook and it's like HEY MY NAME IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!! Don't know why my parents thought my name was a good idea but at least we're not in the boat alone hahaha.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived