IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

3 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Since nobody has said they've done it on purpose to be a jerk, isn't the hypothetical you're arguing also a straw man? 

I mean, have at it, I don't care either way. It's just weird to get out the pitchforks and torches over someone who doesn't actually exist. 

No, that's not what a straw man is. If that were the case, no one would ever be able to have a hypothetical discussion.

Some of us have been arguing that it's wrong to spell a person's name wrong on purpose, and others have been arguing that it's not wrong. The argument isn't invalid just because (supposedly) no one is actually currently doing it. 

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

I inevitably had 3 other kids in my class  with the same name because my name was really popular the year I was born. So annoying to always have the teacher call you for ex. (made up name) "Katie M.". Check the most popular names and avoid them when naming your kid!!

There were 2 girls in the grade above me that were both named Christie Ann Foster, both spelled exactly the same They went by Christie F1 and Christie F2. 

My son's name didn't become popular until about 4 or 5 years after he was born, he was the only one in his class with his name and there was 1 kid with a popular nick name for their name in the grade behind him, and in my friends daughters class (she's in 8th grade this year) there are 4 boys with that name.  My daughter was the only one in the school district with her name until last year, there was a kindergartener that has her name but spelled with a J instead of a G their middle names are close as well my daughters middle name is Kate and her middle name is Kay.  We call DD GK a lot, or just G.

Just now, NakedKnees said:

This whole conversation make me curious about how JinJer might name there hypothetical kids. I hadn't really thought about that before.

Ooh me neither! This will be fun to speculate on... I could see them using old fashioned, trendy adjacent names that have a Biblical figure and/or theologian attached to it; similar to Ben and Jessa but less cringey than Spurgeon. Or maybe embrace Jeremy's heritage?  

3 hours ago, Blahblah said:

Spelling of a name is just as important as other spelling

My parents had picked out my name years before it became incredibly popular in the seventies. When I came along, they decided to still use it, but delete a letter from the spelling so I could be 'unique'. And I was, because sadly, I could never enjoy any of the awesome magnets, key chains, rainbow unicorn stickers, name plaques, mugs, embroidered items etc. that were everywhere at that time. One aunt, though, spent a great deal of time and money to put together a box of specially ordered and correctly spelled items for me. In the days before the internet, that was a feat--bless her always for making me feel so special.

I get tired of businesses, who, when contacting me by email, insist on 'fixing' my name, because obviously I typo-d my own name, multiple times. I actually feel warm fuzzies for company reps who get my name right, the first time. 

13 minutes ago, Season of life... said:

I get tired of businesses, who, when contacting me by email, insist on 'fixing' my name, because obviously I typo-d my own name, multiple times. I actually feel warm fuzzies for company reps who get my name right, the first time. 

My step mother argued with my brother of the spelling of his daughter's middle name, it is Alaina, and she insisted it was Elaina, We are all standing around as they are going back and fourth, and her mother finally piped up and said "FFS why are you arguing with the babies FATHER over how to spell the child's middle name, HE NAMED HER!"

My step mother also was sure my daughter's name as Juliann for over a year when I finally wrote it down for her, then she started to say "why didn't you spell it with..." my dad told her to drop it. This is the woman who knows everything about everything, just ask her, she'll talk for HOURS.  She watches Fox "news" ALL DAY even listens to it in the car so you know she's not only knows everything she's right about everything. I miss her dad he would tell her to "shove that right wing bull shit up your ass" I'm quoting him.  It was always funny because she would get mad at everyone else but not him. 

I looked up some of the most hated baby names. For boys it seems that any name ending in -Aden was disliked. It's interesting because these are also extremely popular right now. Makenzie and Mckayla were on the list of girls names and are also popular. I think Jayden was number one for boys and Nevaeh was number one for girls.

1 minute ago, Knight of Ni said:

I looked up some of the most hated baby names. For boys it seems that any name ending in -Aden was disliked. It's interesting because these are also extremely popular right now. Makenzie and Mckayla were on the list of girls names and are also popular. I think Jayden was number one for boys and Nevaeh was number one for girls.

Probably because they are so over used. I find the Aiden, Hayden, Jayden, Kaden & Braden names to be OBNOXIOUS.  That, however, has a lot to do with a family we went to church with, they had 4 kids Aiden, Kaden, Hayden & Brayden, Hayden & Brayden were boy/girl twins and Aiden & Kaden were boys and little assholes. All of them actually, the little girl was just spoiled rotten and the boys were practically feral, much like the Howlers and the lost girls.  UGH!

My godson is an -aden and there's two others with his name and spelling in his class. The teacher joked that they could go by their middle names if they wanted to not be -aden X. He and another boy loved the idea, so now at school he's David and insisting everyone call him that too, he's 8. We'll see if it sticks, but it's what he wants to be called right now and his parents don't mind, they'd been under the impression they were very original in coming up with the name and a bit disappointed when it became so common.

I have a popular 70's name- Think Amy, Jennifer, etc. My school was very small, but I still had two other girls in my class with my first name. We were in the same Kindergarten class because we went to afternoon Kindergarten- hello, 1970's half day Kindergarten.  Lol. After Kindergarten they would put one of use in one classroom and two of us in the other. So, every few years I wouldn't need to write my last initial on everything. Those were the best years. Lol. I remember in second grade, when we were learning cursive, I wrote my first name, middle initial, and last initial because it was fun to practice cursive. 

One of the other girls moved in 4th grade, so no more last initials until junior high & high school when the two of us had several classes together. By then, we had to write last names on everything because the teachers taught multiple grade levels and there were a few more girls with my name in other grades. 

When I suggested names for my goddaughter, I purposely told my cousin "Don't name her something trendy. She will end up with three other girls in her class with her name." My cousin had gone through the same thing I did with having multiple people in her grade with the same name. Thankfully, my goddaughter has an older name that isn't used too much. So, she's the only one in her class. I think her name is super classy and passes the CEO/President/Cheerleader test. Plus, it's only four letters and really doesn't have any nicknames. 

5 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Since nobody has said they've done it on purpose to be a jerk, isn't the hypothetical you're arguing also a straw man? 

I mean, have at it, I don't care either way. It's just weird to get out the pitchforks and torches over someone who doesn't actually exist. 

I really don't want to get involved further, but a user stated they know autocorrect switches the spelling and they choose not to correct it anyways. They may not initially be spelling it wrong on purpose, but they are purposely choosing not to correct it. If someone did that to me, and continued doing so after being corrected, then I would personally find it disrespectful.

That said, I doubt anyone here is actually spelling it wrong on purpose for cruel purposes. I also don't doubt there are people who do so elsewhere though - some users have shared their personal experiences of having it happen to them and the internet tends to bring out the worst in people. So I think the overall discussion is one worth having.

Spoiler

@divadivineHusband and I were pleased that our daughter's first name was in the 50s range on the 2016 SSA list. We're hoping our next, likely last, child will end up with a name outside the top ten as well. It's important to remember though that there's much more variety in names now then there used to be because more U.S. couples are looking for less "traditional" names - like John or Mary. So a kid with a name ranked sixth may not have that same problem.  

3 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Probably because they are so over used. I find the Aiden, Hayden, Jayden, Kaden & Braden names to be OBNOXIOUS.  That, however, has a lot to do with a family we went to church with, they had 4 kids Aiden, Kaden, Hayden & Brayden, Hayden & Brayden were boy/girl twins and Aiden & Kaden were boys and little assholes. All of them actually, the little girl was just spoiled rotten and the boys were practically feral, much like the Howlers and the lost girls.  UGH!

I personally am not a fan of these names because they're too "cutesy" to me. They don't seem like they'll age well. But I have two kids and I'm sure people will hate their names too so to each his own. 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

snipped.....

Hide contents

@divadivineHusband and I were pleased that our daughter's first name was in the 50s range on the 2016 SSA list. We're hoping our next, likely last, child will end up with a name outside the top ten as well. It's important to remember though that there's much more variety in names now then there used to be because more U.S. couples are looking for less "traditional" names - like John or Mary. So a kid with a name ranked sixth may not have that same problem.  

Her name is currently ranked just above 200 on the SSA list. It's unpopular enough she will probably only meet a few other young people with her name. I know one other person with her name and she is in her 60's. I met another little girl with the same name but an alternative trendy spelling. I'll say my goddaughter's name fits her. 

I grew up in a small rural area in the Midwest. People tend to either gravitate toward names that are super popular or family names. So many Nevaeh's, Emma's, Sophia's, Abby's, Ella's, Jacob's, Noah's, and Mason's. If a name is popular on a tv show or movie, you're guaranteed to see a whole bunch of babies with those names in the Baby Contest at the county fair. Not knocking those names, but I have one of those names (from the 70's) and since I knew she would be growing up in that area, I wanted her to have a name that was her own. She's not one of the many Emma's. Since I'm probably never having children, I take great pride in the fact I chose her name. I saved her from being Emma H. or Riley H. her entire school career. 

My friend's 12 year old is named Mary and she always says "The only Mary's I meet are from church and they're older than me!" She was really happy when she was younger and we sang Mary songs at Mass. She thought the songs were just for her. But her name fits her so well. 

My first experience with someone naming her child after a television character was way back in the     70s, when a friend named her girl "Devon" after someone in a soap opera.. WTH? I didn't understand that at all, and really still don't , but have met Ka lels, and other interesting names in our circles... my kids had less common names, except for Two, who was one of kid X,Y, and Z same first name clear through eighth grade from preschool in his class.

Name game...the Lurkerlings have uncommon, but not trendy names.  The younger of the 2 has a name that has become somewhat popular, but still not super common.  It's also the younger sounding of the 2 names.  She, does, however have options :)  If at some point in her life she feels she wants to sound "more mature"  her name could easily be shortened.  There are times I, not regret, but maybe second guess myself with her name...she knows the name that she was almost called (old Russian name) and she thinks it would have been a cool name.  I however, was concerned with how people would have inevitably shortened it.  Overall, her name suits her perfectly

My kids names are the two most popular dog names. I like to think I chose friendly sounding names for my kids lol! They are totally not unusual, but they are the only ones in their school.

13 minutes ago, Kaylo said:

My kids names are the two most popular dog names. I like to think I chose friendly sounding names for my kids lol! They are totally not unusual, but they are the only ones in their school.

I'm not sure what the most popular dog names are, but I'm gonna guess Max and Sadie lol. (Not asking you to reveal them btw! :) )

I went to Catholic school in the 70's. Everyone had saints names. That's just the way it was. Even now, I think I can tell if a person went to Catholic school by their names. At work the other day, a guy named Tom (Irish last name) made a joke about writing a 500 word essay as punishment and "remember, prepositions don't count!" Catholic school joke!

when I went to public high school, I was shocked to see there were 5 Jennifers. No Mary, Elizabeth, Margaret or other saints names. But trendy names for boys were not yet a thing. There were still lots of Michaels, James, John, etc.

what is really fun is seeing the popular names from 100 years ago. Maude, anyone? Ermaguarde?

A few months ago, I saw a graphic of the popularity of dog names in New York City.  Max and Sadie were popular, IIRC, but Bella was the most popular for a girl dog.  A neighbor's wheaten terrier is named Bella.  I don't think my neighbor knew she was being trendy.

Being one of a several with the same name sucks sometimes. Small school and two of us in my class of 10 had the same name. At home I went by my legal name and the other went by the cutesy nickname that is used by many people with our name. The teacher insisted we draw straws to see who would use which name. I ended up with the cutesy nickname that I despise. The only people who call me that are people from school. I would love to kill it but after 30+ years of being called that name most assume that I am good with it. I don't use my legal name for much but the nickname that a college friend's little sister gave me. She knew me for 5 minutes said "you are a Susa* not a Suzzie. Why didn't anyone else see that". 

Susa is not my nickname just what autocorrect suggested and I thought it was ironic given the other side of the name conversation. 

7 hours ago, divadivine said:

My friend's 12 year old is named Mary and she always says "The only Mary's I meet are from church and they're older than me!" She was really happy when she was younger and we sang Mary songs at Mass. She thought the songs were just for her. But her name fits her so well. 

Hey, I have a 12-year-old named Mary! My oldest son's best friend has a sister named Mary too. They both love their names! I was iffy on using it, but I didn't want a popular/trendy name - my kids' names are all in the 80-300 range, lol - and my grandma really wanted a namesake. I was expecting a boy, so didn't have a girl name picked out (girl names are hard for me) and Mr. Lioness liked Mary too. I never expected her to have another Mary in her class, much less to end up with one as a close friend! :pb_lol:

I have a college friend named Mary. She went to Catholic school her entire life. She told me was the only Mary in her class but many of the teachers were named Mary. 

She is now a teacher in a catholic school. She had a few Mary's but a lot of the kids have Mary for a middle name. 

My 7 year old's name is Aiden.  In my defense, I've loved the name since Aiden Quinn was in "Legends of the Fall."  We purposely gave him a J middle name (spoiler alert, he shares it was J'Douche) so that if there were a ton of other Aidens/Aidans/Aydens in his class, he could go by AJ.  He only had another Aiden in his class in preschool.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived