IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

Ok so after literally 12 pages of discussion about names,  I guess it is safe to say nothing too exciting is happening in Vuolo land. 

So, for those who use Photoshop,  Please go to Jinger's IG and tell me if that picture and she and Jeremy from the wedding,  looks photoshopped, especially at the top of Jeremy's head.  Terribly pic of Jeremy altogether.  The picture is the one posted right after her Never Forget 9-11 picture.  Even someone in the comments mentioned that it looked like they were cardboard cut outs.  When I started to look it really does seem as if the two of them were cut out of another background and then superimposed on the background they show it with. 

Just curious what those of you who photoshop a lot thought

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Re: common dog names: Has anyone ever actually met a dog named Fido?

No, but my one great uncle in Greece named his dog the Greek equivalent of Sparky.

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

We rescued a puppy last month. Fido and Rover were our top two choices. Alas, the kids insisted on something else. 

44 minutes ago, calimojo said:

Ok so after literally 12 pages of discussion about names,  I guess it is safe to say nothing too exciting is happening in Vuolo land. 

So, for those who use Photoshop,  Please go to Jinger's IG and tell me if that picture and she and Jeremy from the wedding,  looks photoshopped, especially at the top of Jeremy's head.  Terribly pic of Jeremy altogether.  The picture is the one posted right after her Never Forget 9-11 picture.  Even someone in the comments mentioned that it looked like they were cardboard cut outs.  When I started to look it really does seem as if the two of them were cut out of another background and then superimposed on the background they show it with. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was photoshopping going on. My friend does it all the time. She moves the heads from one picture to another because she likes the noses poses on one picture but the heads aren't perfectly posed. She also whitens teeth and thins out faces. I can see them trying to make a picture appear more perfect. 

37 minutes ago, calimojo said:

Someone who's been photoshopping for awhile. Yes, this image is pretty photoshopped, but not a "drastic" change like cutting the couple out to put them in a different scene. It looks like someone cut out the couple in order to blur the background to create a depth of field effect. The selection job is pretty sloppy, especially around Jinger's hair. Even with machine learning and advancements with computer graphics, selecting people like this has always been very difficult in photoshop, and the job largely depends on how much the background contrasts with the object you are trying to select. Hair typically blends in the background along the edges, so unless you have a pretty solid background it's hard to cut out. 

I honestly can't judge too hard. Photo Editing, like most creative skills just takes time and practice to get decent at. I hope Jinger gets the opportunity to take classes and improve her skills. She has the raw talent and the passion, but her work is pretty rough from the lack of experience. Keep it up Jing :)

On 9/7/2017 at 2:44 PM, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

One of my children is named for a place in a famous children's novel. It's beautiful and I love it. But it has been so sad how many younger people totally botch it bc they're unfamiliar with the books. 

How many ways can there be to pronounce "Hundred-Acre Wood" anyway?  (sorry, just being silly)

People names:  There was a local politician in San Jose CA in the 70s named Alister McAlister.  Also, I knew a married couple named Kelley (male) and Kellye (female).  To make things worse their last names were Smith and Jones...

Dog names:  my very first thoughts were Shep and Ranger, lol.  My own dog, the one in my profile, was named Luna.  I thought I was giving her an unusual name if not quite unique.  I actually named her after a elderly person (male, actually) named Luna.  Next thing I know I hear of dozens of cats and dogs named Luna...

4 hours ago, seraaa said:

when I say it, Emma and Erin have the same starting syllable, whereas Aaron has the same /a/ sound as cat or hat. 

Yesss!! I was trying to figure out how to describe my pronunciation but you nailed it. I actually love the name Erin and my husband and I considered it for our girl name, but he is from New England and pronounces both Erin and Aaron as 'air-in' and I would not have been able to handle that. 

2 hours ago, seraaa said:

when I say it, Emma and Erin have the same starting syllable, whereas Aaron has the same /a/ sound as cat or hat. 

It is totally tempting to read Neveah as "Nivea", and I'm not entirely sure how it's supposed to sound!

I say Em-ah, Air-in, and Air-un. I don't think of Emma as starting with the same syllable as Erin, though they both start with an E sound. How do you pronounce them?

Emma and Erin have the same E sound here. Aaron starts with A, and sounds completely different to Erin here.

The women's voice in this says it the Australian way.

From the Midwest here and I am completely shocked that people pronounce Aaron and Erin differently. Like I truly didn't know this was a thing.

16 minutes ago, Seculardaisy said:

From the Midwest here and I am completely shocked that people pronounce Aaron and Erin differently. Like I truly didn't know this was a thing.

I'm from the north east and I'm not entirely convinced people do pronounce them differently. I've never ever heard of anyone differentiating between Erin/Aaron and we have both of those in the family.

I work with two girls named Michele and Michelle. One is Black and the other is White. So how do we tell them apart? By calling them "one L" and "two L's".

2 hours ago, immodest_countenance said:

The selection job is pretty sloppy, especially around Jinger's hair. Even with machine learning and advancements with computer graphics, selecting people like this has always been very difficult in photoshop, and the job largely depends on how much the background contrasts with the object you are trying to select. Hair typically blends in the background along the edges, so unless you have a pretty solid background it's hard to cut out. 

That's what I was wondering if they tried to layer it. I'm piss poor at photoshop, it takes so much patience trying to tweak it just right. I totally agree that Jinger's got natural talent and hope she's getting to explore it! It seems like Jeremy doesn't mind being in front of the camera striking poses for her, so that's a pretty fun couple thing to do. 

TLC storyline: Jinger advances in her photography, photos for a major event are maybe ruined and to avert catastrophe Jana and Jinger Macgyver a dark room and develop them just in time. Or more likely she apprentices again with a clearer focus area, Jeremy is willing to support her and pose for photos. 

If they are trying to grow his pastoral following I wouldn't be surprised to see them publish an inspirational photography coffee table book with Jinger's photos and quotes/ devotionals Jeremy has picked out.

1 hour ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

I say Em-ah, Air-in, and Air-un. I don't think of Emma as starting with the same syllable as Erin, though they both start with an E sound. How do you pronounce them?

Ehm-ma

Eh-ren

Aaron is harder, but say it's more like ahh-ren we with the "ahh" being quite quick like you touched something hot.

10 minutes ago, cascarones said:

That's what I was wondering if they tried to layer it. I'm piss poor at photoshop, it takes so much patience trying to tweak it just right. I totally agree that Jinger's got natural talent and hope she's getting to explore it! It seems like Jeremy doesn't mind being in front of the camera striking poses for her, so that's a pretty fun couple thing to do. 

TLC storyline: Jinger advances in her photography, photos for a major event are maybe ruined and to avert catastrophe Jana and Jinger Macgyver a dark room and develop them just in time. Or more likely she apprentices again with a clearer focus area, Jeremy is willing to support her and pose for photos. 

If they are trying to grow his pastoral following I wouldn't be surprised to see them publish an inspirational photography coffee table book with Jinger's photos and quotes/ devotionals Jeremy has picked out.

Yeah, photoshop isn't easy, so I won't snark on a beginner. As someone who is really critical of herself, exploring and trying to improve a skill that requires a lot of critical feedback takes a lot of courage. I couldnt imagine having a public platform where people would jump at the chance of criticism.

Honestly I could see a chance at Jinger getting into the behind the scenes marketing aspect of running a church. Good photos go a long way selling an organization. The difference in 50 non-professional images of an event vs 5 on facebook can make a huge difference in attracting memebers. Not that Im particularly happy about positive promotion of such an ugly belief system, I always do find a bit of joy when the girls explore other interests that aren't staring longingly at their husbands and being a human incubator. 

11 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@cascarones,  my inorganic chemistry professor  at Furman U was Dr Noel Kane-MGuire.  He was from Queensland originally and he had a twin brother, Dr Leon Kane-McGuire, who was a chemistry professor in Australia.  KM (as we called him) was a lefty and Leon was right-handed.  

@Fun Undies,  I'm another one who always reads Neveah as Nivea.

Please tell me one of them was Dr. (R)-Kane-McGuire and the other was Dr. (S)-Kane-McGuire.

4 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

In a Scottish accent (or in mine, at least) it's like Em-ah (or Em-uh), Er-in and A-run (or even A-rin, if I were speaking quickly). The /e/ in Emma and Erin are the same for me, but with Emma you just say 'Em' instead of 'Er'. 

1 hour ago, Dogalog said:

Saying Erin and Aaron the same makes absolutely no sense, though? Lol.

I know! That's why I was so confused when the guy introduced himself to me as Erin 'Err-in'. 

5 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

I'm from the north east and I'm not entirely convinced people do pronounce them differently. I've never ever heard of anyone differentiating between Erin/Aaron and we have both of those in the family.

In my (south-east) English accent they are pronounced completely differently. Erin has a short e like in Emma and Aaron has a short a as in cat, as people have said further up.

I say Em-uh, Eh-rin, and A-run similar to the Scottish commentator above, so it wouldn't surprise me that there are people with similar pronunciations in the US, it is a huge country after all. My mum, who pronounces Aaron differently to me, still doesn't say it the same as Erin. She pronounces the long A to make it an Ah sound, and keeps Erin as an Eh sound.

Genuinely didn't consider that Erin and Aaron were so similar in some accents.

11 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

My in-laws have a Fido. But it's spelled in a more "posh" way. A la Jinger. Lol

57 minutes ago, victoriasponge said:
6 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

That's interesting - my high school English teacher was from Newcastle, and she did not differentiate those names as much as we did, I remember noticing it. 

6 hours ago, KnittingOwl said:

Please tell me one of them was Dr. (R)-Kane-McGuire and the other was Dr. (S)-Kane-McGuire.

Well, they were enantiomers of one another!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived