IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

As a complete name nerd, every time someone says "my name is common/unique/old-fashioned" etc I'm always like WELL WHATS YOUR NAME?!?! I love discussing names, ha. 

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

I think Mabel is ripe for a comeback

My friend has a niece who's a toddler named Mabel!  It suits her really well- she's such a cutie!

2 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

I'm kind of surprised Mabel didn't make a comeback in the early 90's, as that's what the baby on Mad About You was named. It was chosen because Mothers Always Bring Extra Love.

"Mothers Always Bring Extra Love" makes me think of the series finale, when teenaged Mabel wanted to change her name to Sonya. Her mom (Jaime) told her the story of her name and she replied, "Sonya stands for something, too." "What?" "Some Other Name You A..." :pb_lol:

4 hours ago, jerkit said:

I take it from your name you're an 88 baby as well? *high five*

Indeed I am! :)

3 hours ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

Ha! I got you beat, I graduated in 82. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth & computers were the size of a room.

I graduated in 66. Beat that, you young whippersnappers. :character-oldtimer:

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

I graduated in 66. Beat that, you young whippersnappers. :character-oldtimer:

Well, now I need to get my mom to join. She was class of '55! :my_biggrin:

Hazel is getting very popular (#52 in the US last year) and Mabel is becoming more popular as well. I don't think Phyllis is making a comeback anytime soon, though.

5 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

Hazel is getting very popular (#52 in the US last year) and Mabel is becoming more popular as well. I don't think Phyllis is making a comeback anytime soon, though.

I know a little Hazel from library story time, but that name makes me shudder. My high school Sunday School teacher was Hazel, and it's because of her I quit Sunday School for 25 years! 

I wouldn't mind seeing Esther and Eleanor come back.

7 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Esther and Eleanor come back.

Eleanor is definitely coming back in the US. It was #41 last year. Esther has always been in the top 300 or so in the US, and it's 183 right now.

Ethel is going to take a few more generational cycles to pop back into popularity, hopefully after I am dead. At the first family dinner where he met the grands, my dad made a joke that the only name worse than his mother's old fashioned name was Ethel. Unfortunately for him, Grandmother FFF was a proud Ethel. Oops. 

I'm surprised Maud is back in the UK, but I know of couple of 3-5 year old Mauds.  My bet is from people who loved The Worst Witch when they were girls.  I do know that 2 of the mothers were completely surprised anyone else picked the name - but then about 15 years ago I met a woman who'd called her daughter Freya after Freya Stark, and had assumed it would be unique until her daughter started nursery with three other Freyas in her class!

ETA and now there's Maud Pie in My Little Pony, I bet there'll be a lot more Mauds in the future.

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know a little Agnes. I doubt it will make much of a comeback though. 

Idk, "Aggie" is a cute nickname, Agnes works well in professional settings and it's quaint and moderately quirky without being very popular at the moment. I could see it. 

I've heard the name Ruby more in the last few years. Cute name! Reminds me of our neighbor from my childhood. Ruby was in her 60's-70's and she had cat glasses. She was this petite lady and feisty as all get out. Always dressed up- wore pantyhose & her hair was always done. Good ole Ruby! 

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

Indeed I am! :)

i graduated from high school in 88!

name that can stay in the past:  Gladys  (with apologies to everyone who ever loved a Gladys)

I have a unique name that has never been on any list or been popular. At one point I did meet a couple other people with my name different spelling and they were guys. I thought then it might start becoming popular but it fizzled out. I get the "Your named what?" and weird comments. Or why didn't your parents name you that name when I explain how to pronounce my name its like Maura instead of Laura (not my real name but my name is like that the first letter is different from a common name) I'd explain because my parents didn't like that they like the name they chose. As a kid I went back and forth on my name I got very tired of having to correct people on how to pronounce it and how to spell it and thought maybe it would be easier to have an easier to spell and pronounce name. But I also got annoyed by it because it really isn't that hard to spell or pronounce. Its pronounced exactly how it looks. Why should I have to change my name because other people can't spell it or pronounce? My name suits me perfectly. It fits me. I know my mom would have been a little hurt if I did. She loves my name but her dad legal changed his name, in fact about half our family has done that so she'd understand. We joke that its really hard to name babies in our family because if you give them a normal name and unique middle name about half end up hating their first name and go by their middle name, but if you go the other way giving a unique name and normal name they end up going by their middle. If I ever have kids I'll give them the names I love and hope they love them as much as I do and if not. Well, I'll accept that too. 

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

I'm surprised Maud is back in the UK, but I know of couple of 3-5 year old Mauds.

This is my #1 girl name and I'm holding out hope the royals don't use it!

13 minutes ago, Berty K said:

This is my #1 girl name and I'm holding out hope the royals don't use it!

I thought of that one for them before Charlotte was born. For some reason, I think it might be a possible name for a new little princess. It is in the family tree among Victoria's children or grandchildren (can't remember which). 

I have encountered some Hazels in preschool and kindergarten and Social Security's name site shows that it has been gradually increasing in popularity in the last decade. 

As for other "old fashioned names", I was just looking through alumni news from my college and some mid 2000s grads named a baby Marjorie. I have to say I haven't ever come across that one in a classroom. 

Apparently William has a little cousin named Maud (maybe a second cousin, something like that, but she goes to the same school as Prince George), so I doubt they'll use Maud.

I really hate my name (it's in my mother culture/language) and wished I knew that you could go by your middle name. When I tell people my name it's usually a "omg so gorgeous" or "definitely not what I pictured you as (I'm black but my name means something in another language). My parents have a nice basic pretty common name and my mom was going to give her kids an English name but my dad felt that we needed to keep our culture (mind you his first name is something common like John and his middle is our native language but for someone who cares about their culture he doesn't really talk or tell people about it).

I think it's a combination of people not being able to pronounce it as well as its literal meaning that has me just like never liking it the moment I knew. If I have kids they're getting english names. But I think I would still rather have my current name then my aunts suggestion of Eugeine (Like Princess Eugeine of York) and I would have gone by Genie/Gena.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived