IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

My name is Katherine.My mother insisted that none of us would have nicknames..but people insisted on calling Thomas, Tom,David,Dave and James,JIm and me,Kathy.But when someone would call and ask to speak to Kathy..my mother would come and get me and say."Your name is KATHERINE."Okay,then why give me a name with so many different variations??My mother,Gisela,had a nickname and so does her sister...Irmi....Irmgard.Tante Irmi hates her FULL name.And back to my name,or rather my middle name...I loathe it.Lamar.It sounds like a man's name...for this reason I do not care for unisex names or sur names for girls..as someone who has wished all her life she had a feminine name for a middle name,I just do not care for them..no need for it,I never had a girl.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, griffin said:

I have a lovely one syllable name that people always want to infantalize and it makes me ragey. I say my name is Anne ( not my name) and people instantly call me Annie. Did I say Annie?? I know there are plenty of Annies out there, I'm just saying that's not my name. 

My Nanna was Anna. Her grave stone says Annie. She was Never called Annie by anyone. My mother wouldn't tell the stonemason to change it for some weird reason. When my mother is no longer with us, my sister and I are hoping to get it sorted out. It's weird, as if she is buried in the wrong grave. 

Fuckface fully earned his new moniker - not just for being a sexual predator who cheats on his wife, but for previously working for a known hate group that would love to erase LGBTQ+ people, like my baby brother, from the nation. 

Jinger, on the other hand, is simply a victim of her parents' naming theme, though she seems to have no issues with the spelling that we know of. 

There is no comparision between the two. If it turns out that Jinger did equally horrific things as her brother then I'm all for giving her an appropriate nickname too. Until then she's simply Jinger to me.

(And respect is not a right. It's earned. No one who admits to molesting a child is worthy of my respect and they will be referred to appropriately.)

I usually chalk up the Ginger spellings to autocorrect, but I'll admit it does bug me that people insist on calling Spurgeon "Elliott". Whether anyone likes it or not, his name is Spurgeon until he decides he wants to change it.

I'm always fascinated by naming trends. Every year the social security website publishes the top 1000 baby names for the previous year and I always check to see if my daughter's name has gone up or down on the list. I once had three Isabellas in my class- Isabella, Sophia, and Emily are extremely common names in my area. For boys we have a lot of Noahs and Aiden/Aydens, or names that end in Aiden/Ayden. Jayden in particular is a popular one.

My name is Katherine.My mother insisted that none of us would have nicknames..but people insisted on calling Thomas, Tom,David,Dave and James,JIm and me,Kathy.But when someone would call and ask to speak to Kathy..my mother would come and get me and say."Your name is KATHERINE."Okay,then why give me a name with so many different variations??My mother,Gisela,had a nickname and so does her sister...Irmi....Irmgard.Tante Irmi hates her FULL name.And back to my name,or rather my middle name...I loathe it.Lamar.It sounds like a man's name...for this reason I do not care for unisex names or sur names for girls..as someone who has wished all her life she had a feminine name for a middle name,I just do not care for them..no need for it,I never had a girl.

But Katherine Lamar sounds like a movie star from the golden age of movies! [emoji6]

13 minutes ago, kacarlton said:

But Katherine Lamar sounds like a movie star from the golden age of movies! emoji6.png

I'm gonna burn in hell for this but every time I see the name "Lamar" I think of Headley Lamar in Blazing Saddles.

13 hours ago, SassyPants said:

Autocorrect "purposely" corrects Jinger's name. Why should I waste my time correcting that?  I think people are internalizing this issue.

If it's such an issue, make it a TOS rule.

Or you could just not be an asshole.  It takes a second to fix autocorrect and autocorrect learns so it should be offering you the correct spelling as an option.  You can also manually add it to your dictionary

I don't think anyone is internalizing this issue.  Being considerate of others shouldn't have to be a codified rule. 

13 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

If it becomes a rule, then no more Jimboob, Mechelle, Joshley, Dwreck, etc. I'll abide by whatever the rules are. My kindle changed Dillard to Collard, and I got tired of changing it. Some of the names bother me, like Fuckface, but not enough to worry about. I'll use the names I'm comfortable with, and ignore the ones I'm not.

@singsingsing has already explained there is a difference between using names that are descriptive of the person's personality/flaws/stupidity/etc and purposely misspelling someone's name because you think it should be spelled another way for whatever reason.

I would hope we are better than that, but I guess some of us aren't.  Again, we shouldn't have to codify things like basic respect.

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

IMO, Ginger (proper spelling by the way) is not as disrespectful or offensive as Fuckface.

The thing is it is NOT the proper spelling.  Her name is Jinger and that is the proper spelling.

9 hours ago, feministxtian said:

anyway, I ended up growing up about 5 miles from the original home of the Space Task Group (the precursor to NASA) that was formed at the old NACA research lab in Hampton VA (NASA Langley Research Center) right near Langley AFB where my dad was stationed.

I was way behind on this thread and had such a hard time catching up. But the earliest NASA comments made it all worth it. 

I'm assuming you have but if you haven't read it I would really reccomend the book the Astronauts Wives Club! I really enjoyed it (moreso than the television show) 

It was also so cool to hear you talk about Hampton especially after seeing it portrayed in Hidden Figures. 

On the topic of Jeremy and Jinger (who my phone just autocorrected to "Hunger") I remember reading in one of the earlier books that when they were first married Jim Bob and Michelle commited to no TV and no pets in the first year of marriage so that they could focus on each other and their marriage. If Jeremy and Jinger used something like NFP and weren't technically "preventing" and said they felt called to focus on each other for this first year (just like her parents had) I'm not sure that Jim Bob and Michelle would be able to say much. 

14 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Autocorrect "purposely" also "corrects" the spelling of MY name, but I take the time to fix it. I also fix it when it "purposely" corrects the various spellings of Michele/Michelle; Alison/Allison; Stacie/Stacey/Stacy. It's just respectful to make sure you spell someone's name correctly when you're not trying to be snarky (such as Dwreck).

I feel really bad when I spell people's names incorrectly. I've done it a few times - a while ago I met two people with the same name. Neither of them spelled it the traditional way (this isn't the name but eg Kennadie and Cennady for Kennedy) and I somehow mixed the two of them up and wrote Kennady. I felt awful - she got angry with me. It was an innocent mistake.

While I would never deliberately choose a creative spelling for my own child, there is a big difference between making a mistake and deliberately writing the traditional spelling. Intent matters, imo. 

Now don't get me started on ridiculous Celebrity baby names.

My name ends with a "y". Most people spell it with an "i" . If they have only heard my name then fair enough, but people respond to my emails with "Dear Xxxxxi" when the correct spelling is in my email address. And I sign my emails as "Xxxxxy" So it is rude if they ignore my spelling when it is right in front of them.

And whether I like it or not (and for the record I do) my name ends with y because my parents chose it that way. For me it is proper.

If anyone has an ambiguous name I ask for the spelling.

But to lighten things up a bit, here is the wonderful Michael Mcintyre on name variants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6r6nhBcIbA

(I'm in Aus - hope that link works for everyone)

I inevitably had 3 other kids in my class  with the same name because my name was really popular the year I was born. So annoying to always have the teacher call you for ex. (made up name) "Katie M.". Check the most popular names and avoid them when naming your kid!!

8 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

I usually chalk up the Ginger spellings to autocorrect, but I'll admit it does bug me that people insist on calling Spurgeon "Elliott". Whether anyone likes it or not, his name is Spurgeon until he decides he wants to change it.

I admittedly use Quincey a lot when referring to SES, but because that's what they were calling him before he was born.

I still get the distinct impression that Jessa didn't want him to be named Spurgeon but was overruled by her headship.....

34 minutes ago, PainfullyAware said:

I inevitably had 3 other kids in my class  with the same name because my name was really popular the year I was born. So annoying to always have the teacher call you for ex. (made up name) "Katie M.". Check the most popular names and avoid them when naming your kid!!

My sister-in-law had the same problem. Her name was one of the really, really popular ones growing up and ever year there were always so many girls with her name.  Since her maiden name was so common, there were a couple girls in her grade that had the same first and last name as her.  One of the girls was always ditching school but the school always called the wrong parents, my sister-in-law's parents saying she wasn't in school. M grandmother had a similar problem, she had a common name of her era but when she married, one of her brothers-in-law's married another girl with the same first name. Her sister-in-law was constantly running up bills and debts but my grandmother was the one always getting the calls and warnings. 

I have a relative named Ginger. With a G. So I type that name frequently (because there is a lot to complain about to my friends...so that gives some of you here who have followed more of my posts an idea of who that might be!). So if I make sure my autocorrect corrects it to a J for FJ, then I will be spelling someone else's name wrong elsewhere. I'm pretty sure I have never, even inadvertently, spelled Jinger's name wrong. But if someone does, I don't think it is such a huge deal if it is just autocorrect. And it seems like needless drama that this discussion has gone on for pages and pages...

I'm pretty sure I frequently spell Derick wrong because I can't remember how it is spelled (I just googled to make sure that is right). I have had students with that name and every single one was spelled differently (and not one this particular variation). Just like Michaela. I'm pretty sure there are 5000 different spellings of Michaela and I have seen them all. I had three girls named that in one class once with three different spellings and was constantly mixing them up. The girls were not traumatized; they thought it was rather funny actually. When it was to post speech orders on the board, they sometimes tried to take advantage by making the other one go first. 

My experience with kids is that if they know you are trying to get it right, they don't get upset. Mispronunciation or using a full name in place of a nickname are different matters. Those things bothers most people. It is the bane of my existence as a sub because teachers so often don't bother to write down nicknames on class lists or to indicate pronunciations of difficult names. Or they do, but their class lists are scrawled in pencil on a seating chart so you can't even read common names like Tracie (had that last week--it looked like it said Tace--which I also was unsure how to pronounce). If there are any teachers reading here: write down nicknames and pronunciations of difficult names on the class lists you keep for subs, and make sure it is all legible. 

@louisa05 I took great pride when I was a kid in learning to spell properly, particularly my own name and my family members' names. I wasn't "traumatised" if someone got my name wrong, I just couldn't see why they wouldn't have the manners to spell it properly.

Spelling of a name is just as important as other spelling, probably more so because it is a person's identity, 

If kept referring to you as lewisa05 because my spell check was on the fritz and I couldn't be shagged fixing it, that would be rude, no?

And lewisa05 I'm sure others might figure out that I was referring to you, but if they didn't that's fine because you would probably know, and you wouldn't be traumatised.

2 minutes ago, Blahblah said:

@louisa05 I took great pride when I was a kid in learning to spell properly, particularly my own name and my family members' names. I wasn't "traumatised" if someone got my name wrong, I just couldn't see why they wouldn't have the manners to spell it properly.

Spelling of a name is just as important as other spelling, probably more so because it is a person's identity, 

If kept referring to you as lewisa05 because my spell check was on the fritz and I couldn't be shagged fixing it, that would be rude, no?

And lewisa05 I'm sure others might figure out that I was referring to you, but if they didn't that's fine because you would probably know, and you wouldn't be traumatised.

Knock yourself out. My first name is a very common name from the period I was born. This username is a variation on my middle name. If it makes you happy or feel like you have won something here to spell it wrong, go right ahead. 

I used to spell my first name different spellings in junior high to make it less common. My gmail username and my usernames on several other platforms is a variation of the spelling of my first name because using the common spelling requires me to be (not my name) Kate85,792,000 or something like that. I guess I have offended myself. Oh, dear. 

Jinger is never autocorrected to Ginger on my tablet because of my german keyboard/autocorrect I suppose. 

Last week I went to my favorite asia shop and next to tofu  I saw "pickled ginger" . I snorted with laughter and pulled myself together because I want to come back in this shop.

in my old company, all our emails (like every other business email) ended with first and last name. Right above, it said 'Your *company name*

in german 'Ihre' *Company name*

If I would've gotten a Euro every time somebody replied with: Hello Ihre // Hello Your. Like are you seriously stupid enough to think it is my name, if my name is written RIGHT below?

I think my issue with all of this is the "It doesn't bother me, so it shouldn't bother you." Well, that's just not true and you don't have a right to tell people how to feel. Dealing with an unusual name can be hard and it certainly gets irritating when people misspell your name, when you know that they know the difference. It's like saying that the name your parents chose for you and you choose to go by isn't good enough for them. So they will use whatever version they want. It's rude and unnecessary. 

I've read through this entire thread and literally no one has said they spell Jinger's name with a G on purpose. I think we're all getting upset over an entirely hypothetical person being a bit of a turd; most people probably just have a typo, forget, or autocorrect switched it. 

It's important to remember that some people have dyslexia or are just not great spellers. Someone I've known for over twenty years still misspells my name when writing it (and I have a very common name; it's popped up a few times in this thread as a placeholder 'plain' name haha). Attributing malice to someone who may very well have a learning disability or other processing disorder is not helpful and doesn't make it easier for people to come out with their Dx. 

5 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I admittedly use Quincey a lot when referring to SES, but because that's what they were calling him before he was born.

I still get the distinct impression that Jessa didn't want him to be named Spurgeon but was overruled by her headship.....

Quincy doesn't bother me. It's a nickname his family has called him by so I think that's fair game. To me it's not much different from referring to Israel as "Izzy". (Although personally, I don't think he looks much like a Quincy lol).

I've always been skeptical of the theory that Jessa disliked the name Spurgeon but Ben asserted his authority as headship to make it his son's first name. But I'll concede it is possible!

I know he's still a bit young for this, but I have to admit that I think Spurgeon might wear his unusual name well. He seems to be an outgoing, attention-loving kid. 

This whole conversation make me curious about how JinJer might name there hypothetical kids. I hadn't really thought about that before.

39 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

I've read through this entire thread and literally no one has said they spell Jinger's name with a G on purpose. I think we're all getting upset over an entirely hypothetical person being a bit of a turd; most people probably just have a typo, forget, or autocorrect switched it. 

It's important to remember that some people have dyslexia or are just not great spellers. Someone I've known for over twenty years still misspells my name when writing it (and I have a very common name; it's popped up a few times in this thread as a placeholder 'plain' name haha). Attributing malice to someone who may very well have a learning disability or other processing disorder is not helpful and doesn't make it easier for people to come out with their Dx. 

You were right on your first point - we are discussing a hypothetical. We've been arguing about whether it's hypothetically wrong to spell someone's name differently on purpose simply because you don't like it. There's nothing wrong with having a hypothetical discussion. We do it all the time.

We are most emphatically not criticizing people who are spelling it wrong accidentally. I think this has been stated again and again and again. We're specifically talking about people doing it on purpose. We are not attributing malice to people with learning disabilities! I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous! I have a learning disability. I understand what it's like. If someone piped up in this discussion and said, "You guys, I have dyslexia and it makes spelling really difficult. I often spell names wrong and it's not on purpose" I guarantee you that person would have been supported and defended. That's an example of a very acceptable reason to spell someone's name wrong, and it's absolutely not what we've been arguing against.

I'm sorry, I'm just getting really sick of these strawman arguments. "It's disrespectful to purposely spell someone's name wrong because you don't like it." "Well, I have dyslexia/never saw it spelled/autocorrect hates me, so it's not my fault!" Yes! No kidding! We're talking about people who are doing it on purpose.

Since nobody has said they've done it on purpose to be a jerk, isn't the hypothetical you're arguing also a straw man? 

I mean, have at it, I don't care either way. It's just weird to get out the pitchforks and torches over someone who doesn't actually exist. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived