IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

Hani is a chicken pita wrap here at National Coney Island. My mom was Theresa but went by Teri her whole life. I had a friend growing up named Starr. All normal in my world!

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Jannah said:

My name's Hannah, which I like and I think fits me well, the only problem is that during the last year, another Hannah popped up in my social circle and now it's become really difficult for everyone else to know which Hannah the person talking is thinking about -me or her! Sometimes it's even confusing for us two Hannahs haha.

We've tried to come up with nicknames but Hannah is one of those names that are really difficult to find a nickname for...

So if you've got any suggestions I'll gladly hear them :D

My name is the Dutch version of Hannah (sort of) and most people, even at work, call me Han. When I was younger it used to be Hannie.

My familie calls me Hannes, but that's very Dutch too.

Names. I don't like mine,  but I don't dislike it.  It  was very popular when I was born, so my mom altered the spelling slightly...not in a tryndy way, just in a way that makes me always have to spell it out. Why? If was too common, pick a different one. 

I named my daughter the short form of a longer name, but the short form is also an independent name. I've been told everything from "it's so cheerleader-y" to "You should have given her the long form so she can choose when she grows up." Well, I don't like the long form,  so there.

And finally,  I used to work for a court.  There seemed to be a hugely disproportionate number of criminals with first, middle and last names that were all first names. Like John Michael George. Coincidence?

4 minutes ago, VanillaBean said:

Coincidence?

Yes, but the thought of a criminal cabal where members have to make pseudonyms of all white bread first names tickles me pink. The Ozzie and Harriet Gang. The Secret Order of Cardigans. A Gosh Darned Anarchy Phone Tree. An Intramural Glee-and-Mayhem Club. 

@Jannah -  whenever I hear the name Hannah I think of the song "Sing For The Day" by Styx. One of my favorites with a gorgeous acoustic guitar rhythm part...I spent weeks learning how to play it...and now, I've managed to pretty much forget it and of course, no longer have a 12 string guitar :(

link to video.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k55GGX-8Qi4I

Link to lyrics https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/styx/singfortheday.html

My first name is a unisex name (after my mother's sister), and my middle name is a creation based on my maternal grandmothers first name (she was born in 1896). So, while rich in family history, as a child it was just too odd for me.

In my teens, I feminized my first name by adding an e to the end. At least I thought I feminized it, until I met a dude on Facebook who had my name and spelled it exactly like me, extra letter and all! What I hated most was not misspellings but mail addressed to Mr. So and so. 

I didn't like having a unisex name and gave DD a distinctly female name that is also common enough to be on all those trinkets that kids love. Her first and middle names have both recently been featured on special edition coke bottles. Cool.

My middle name is so unique that it's my go-to for user names and the like, it's never taken.

It took decades, but I finally embraced my unique name. Names are important. I go out of my way to show respect by immediately asking for the correct spelling/pronunciation of a name if I have any doubt. A lifetime of misspellings and mispronunciations will make you sensitive to this.

5 hours ago, VanillaBean said:

Names. I don't like mine,  but I don't dislike it.  It  was very popular when I was born, so my mom altered the spelling slightly...not in a tryndy way, just in a way that makes me always have to spell it out. Why? If was too common, pick a different one. 

I've never understood why parents think that by mucking up the spelling of a popular name will make the name "unique". It doesn't. If you want your kid to have a unique name GIVE THEM ONE, don't name your daughter Emma and spell it YMMAH and then get mad when people look at you like you're a moron when you tell them how the name is spelled.

9 minutes ago, jerkit said:

If I could rename myself, I would choose a more androgynous name like Charlie, Elliot, or Julien. My name sort of screams "girl born in the late 80s"

Oh I wanted to have the name that screamed "girl born in the late 80s." Because my name apparently screams "girl born in the mid 50s." I have an older, different first name with and old middle name. *sigh* 

Although, let's be honest, they've both been with me from nearly 29 years. I'm quite used to them. ;) 

I find it interesting that 'old fashioned names' like Maisie and Abigail have made a comeback - but when did you last meet a young Doris*, Ethel or Mabel? I truly do not understand how names become fashionable.

*My best friend here in Thailand was a Doris. She was born in 1931, and died in 2009.

26 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Oh I wanted to have the name that screamed "girl born in the late 80s." Because my name apparently screams "girl born in the mid 50s." I have an older, different first name with and old middle name. *sigh* 

Although, let's be honest, they've both been with me from nearly 29 years. I'm quite used to them. ;) 

I take it from your name you're an 88 baby as well? *high five*

23 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I find it interesting that 'old fashioned names' like Maisie and Abigail have made a comeback - but when did you last meet a young Doris*, Ethel or Mabel?

Maybe Mabel will come back because it's the name of the lead female on the popular cartoon, Gravity Falls. Pop culture has power; just look at all the Hermiones in kindergarten!

32 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I find it interesting that 'old fashioned names' like Maisie and Abigail have made a comeback - but when did you last meet a young Doris*, Ethel or Mabel? I truly do not understand how names become fashionable.

*My best friend here in Thailand was a Doris. She was born in 1931, and died in 2009.

Just yesterday I found myself thinking about the mother of an ex-boyfriend.  Her name was/is Dolores, and when I remembered that I thought of this thread and realized that's a name I don't hear at all anymore.

Another one you don't hear at all nowadays is Phyllis.

I think Mabel is ripe for a comeback, along with Hazel and possibly Phyllis.

I live in a very small town and we have many highly unusual names among our 70-90-year-old set:  Wilda, Zelma, Zelda, Wynarda...  (I guess I don't know the men well enough to know their unusual names, although we did have several Kesners)

The names given to half a dozen of the kids born in the last ten years are even more unusual, to the point where I'm not going to list them because they would be too easily searchable.  A few are recognizable-but-uncommon names, but several are rare enough to be considered made up, for all intents and purposes.

1 hour ago, jerkit said:

Fuckme I'm old, I graduated from HS in 88. Pardon me whilst I get my walker and my heart pills. :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, jerkit said:

Another '88 baby checking in here! We're almost 30, guys!!!! :my_biggrin::my_huh::my_sick::my_cry:

9 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Fuckme I'm old, I graduated from HS in 88. Pardon me whilst I get my walker and my heart pills. :pb_lol:

Ha! I got you beat, I graduated in 82. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth & computers were the size of a room.

I'm kind of surprised Mabel didn't make a comeback in the early 90's, as that's what the baby on Mad About You was named. It was chosen because Mothers Always Bring Extra Love.

Delores makes me think of the Seinfeld episode I saw in college, when Jerry slept with a woman whose name rhymed with a woman's body part, but he couldn't remember which. He even tried Mulva.

The only Mabel i have known (nickname, not full name) was a total bitch, and that's and understatement, so nope, never naming my hypothetical kid that :pb_lol:

16 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Delores makes me think of the Seinfeld episode I saw in college, when Jerry slept with a woman whose name rhymed with a woman's body part, but he couldn't remember which. He even tried Mulva.

It makes me think of Dolores Umbridge. It's a nice name, but I'd never want my baby associated with that witch. 

I don't know, Dolores is one of those names to me. Who looks at their precious (yes, i hate myself for even using that word :pb_lol:) newborn and say ''Yes, you look like your name is Pain. Because that's what you've brought you little bitch''

Dolores makes me think about Harry Potter. So, no. 

I don't have a middle name, and I'm seriously considering adding one. But choosing it is pretty hard, actually.
If I ever have children, I will spend all 9 months of pregnancy researching names, that's for sure. 

8 minutes ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Dolores makes me think about Harry Potter. So, no. 

I don't have a middle name, and I'm seriously considering adding one. But choosing it is pretty hard, actually.
If I ever have children, I will spend all 9 months of pregnancy researching names, that's for sure. 

My mind goes to Dolores Claiborne.

Which reminds me, it's almost time for my annual read-a-Stephen-King-book-at-Halloween!  :scared-ghostface:   Can't wait!  This year it will be Mr. Mercedes -- maybe even the entire trilogy...

1 hour ago, Chocolatedefrauded said:

Ha! I got you beat, I graduated in 82. Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth & computers were the size of a room.

me too! wasn't it something to see those brachiosaurus roaming around?

9 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Which reminds me, it's almost time for my annual read-a-Stephen-King-book-at-Halloween!  :scared-ghostface:   

Stephen King at Halloween. I like the idea, I might steal it.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived