IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

1 minute ago, ThunderRolls said:

Anyway, she ended marrying a guy whose last name was the same as her first (just spelled differently). She thought about hyphenating her maiden name and married same, but decided to just embrace the weirdness. It's actually kind of cute. 

My first name is also a last name (different spelling) and I'm not sure what I would do if I married a guy with that last name. I'm kind of on the fence about changing my name anyway. I think it would be kind of hilarious to be Mackenzie McKenzie* but the joke might get old fast.

*Not my name, but you get the idea

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@singsingsing - you know, I think a lot of it depends on your job. My friend works out of her home so for her, there isn't a lot of, "What's that? What's your name again?" If you worked a job where you were interacting with new people all the time, that would definitely get old.  That being said, I have a very common and easy name (4 letters) - yet people manage to screw it up all the time (they either give me a different name altogether, pronounce it differently, or spell it wrong). Sometimes an unusual name is almost better because it stands out more (although, I still say Spurgeon is just an awful name). 

21 minutes ago, ThunderRolls said:

My college roommate has an unusual first name (actually quite common amongst Lutheran girls born in the 80s in the Midwest but unusual everywhere else it seems). Anyway, she ended marrying a guy whose last name was the same as her first (just spelled differently). She thought about hyphenating her maiden name and married same, but decided to just embrace the weirdness. It's actually kind of cute. 

Haha, I love stories like that. I don't know if anybody here ever watched the show Trading Spaces, but the host's name was Paige Davis (her first name was really Mindy, but she had always gone by her middle name Paige) and she ended up marrying a man with the last name Page. Professionally she still uses the name Davis, but it's possible she legally changed her name to Mindy Paige Page lol.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:59 PM, Kaylo said:

My kids names are the two most popular dog names. 

My mom always says that people call their dogs things like Max and Fred because they're not brave enough to name their babies that. Maybe you're just courageous!

My first name has a unique spelling because my mom thought it would help in the pronunciation. It did not. It confuses more people. When I was younger it really bothered me that people pronounced my name wrong but now I just know. Say my name - spell it out. I spell out my entire address so what's a few more letters anyways. 

I'll be giving my kids boring names with no weird spellings not because I'm traumatized by my name but mostly because I'm drawn to those names(or possibly envious? LOL) 

1 hour ago, Moogritt said:

My mom always says that people call their dogs things like Max and Fred because they're not brave enough to name their babies that. Maybe you're just courageous!

Or because I only had a son... Pussy cat  Tanya, and Pupster Samantha.

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

This happened in my family. Cousin named Carol, brother married Carole. They became "Carol Ann" and "CarolE" in discussions 

We used to have three Lena in my family. One was my mom's sister (LE) and the other two were my aunt by marriage married to my uncle (now divorced and my uncle is dead) LH and my SIL married to my oldest brother also LH. They went by Lena E-lastname or "sister-Lena" as we jokingly called her because our mother always said "sister Lena" when we asked which Lena. The other two since they had the same name were S-firstname Lena (after my brother) and E-firstname Lena (after my uncle). Now only my SIL is part of the family as my aunt died and my aunt by marriage completely cut all connections to our family a couple of years after they divorced and no one really knows why and later moved to another town.

I went to school with a guy with almost identical first and last names (like Evan Evans). He was a tamil from a family that had taken on a British name before moving to Norway in order to blend in. All the names that they'd chosen were fairly common, but the combinations were weird and first and last names were mixed up.

Another immigrant family that lives on my block changed their last name to Ahmadiberg (Ahmadi being made up to protect their privacy), inspired by our then prime minister Jens Stoltenberg. 

I have a married niece and nephew with the same version for first names: Alexander and Alexandria and the same middle name, Ryan. And the nephew's last name, is the same name as the bride's dad's first name.

So they are both Alex- this is only an example. They do have the same first names, but Alex is only an example.

Margaret was popular in my day. I had two friends with that name. My sister is Margaret and her best friend was also Margaret. My brother married a Margaret. It got confusing sometimes.

@Bad Wolf three of my clients are called Margaret, they often book on the same day too. Hmmm.

My high school class had 6 Sarahs, 6 Charlottes, 5 K/Catherines and 4 Rebeccas.

Both my sister and I have Greek first names and hers is very, very unusual. She loves it and has always embraced it but I always remember as a kid people saying to her "that can't be your real name. What is your actual name?" :my_dodgy:

Personally I hate my name and have never been called it, even by family members. I definitely got some shit for it in elementary school. 

I'm a huge fan of simple, short unisex names.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:54 PM, shiverful said:

I went to school with a guy with almost identical first and last names (like Evan Evans).

There was an American Idol contestant named Philip Phillips a while back. 

There's a last at my work named Kelly Kelly. She's fairly young so I haven't established if this was her parents choice, by changing her own name, or her husband's name at marriage.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Margaret was popular in my day. I had two friends with that name. My sister is Margaret and her best friend was also Margaret. My brother married a Margaret. It got confusing sometimes.

One of my dad's sisters was Betty,

My dad's older brother married a Betty.

My mom (dad's wife) is Betty.

There were 3 Betty Bs.....last name. My dad's sister eventually married, and was no longer Betty B. 

Then my dad's brother's wife passed  and my dad called me, I said, which Aunt Betty?

Sadly, my second Aunt Betty recently passed, so my mom is  the only Betty still with us.

We named our kids with a name we liked for the firsts, and a family name for the middle, 

so DD, fun name, and my mom's middle (and her mom's too) and also DH's great aunt's name (one name, just hte same in all occasions here) DD's name was ranked 49th her birth year

DS, fun name, and then my husband's first name as his middle, which is also my grandpa's middle (and his dad's first). DS's name isn't ranked in the top 1000 for anything in the 2000's, but found it was 987 in 1988. interesting!

You guys are good - you got one of my kids names right off the bat! The other one is actually becoming more popular around here but still isn't very common.

On 9/9/2017 at 11:49 PM, marmalade said:

eta again: I just noticed my new post count title, and I'm confused. I get praying FOR my next meal, like a Rod kid, but I don't get the reference for praying IN my next meal. 

Apparently it's a reference to JRod. 

23 hours ago, eveandadam said:

-snip-. My first name was the most popular in the 80's in Germany. I too want to name my kids with not so popular names but you never know what names will become popular in the near future, or even worse, what names will become trashy. It's just a game of chance and luck.

I was born in Germany in 1985, and if it doesn't creep you out completely, may I email you and ask your name?  Because now I'm all kinds of curious :)   if you'd rather not, just don't reply this, and I'll make sure not to ask again!

Mine is A supposedly popular, and common German name . . . And yet I've only ever met four people with my name in my 31 years of life (and I'm a military brat, and have lived in different countries, so that's saying something - actually one was russian, the other greek.  Different spellings, but same pronunciation).

On 9/8/2017 at 0:36 PM, Knight of Ni said:

-snip-. I think Jayden was number one for boys and Nevaeh was number one for girls.

Hand.to.God. every time I see the name Neveah, my brain keeps reading it "Nivea" (the body cream) . . . And I get so confused for like two seconds.  I'll see myself to the prayer closet now :P

On 9/6/2017 at 1:48 PM, HarryPotterFan said:

On the subject of naming babies after fictional characters, I know of 2 little girls names Khalessi.

There was an Ender at swimming lessons today. It sounds really silly when yelled across the pool deck multiple times in a row. 

On 9/9/2017 at 6:06 AM, may2 said:

If you want to know if the name your choosing for your child is popular or how popular your name has been for the last century this is a really neat site.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

Great for looking at past history of the name, but sadly not good at predicting future trends. DD's name was below 150 the year she was born (2011) and is now in the top 50. I'm a little annoyed because I spent so long trying to find something now very popular for her. 

DD2's name is proving to be a bigger challenge. "Old fashioned" names are apparently all the rage. 

I worked with a Nivek, she was from South Africa so I assumed it was from there. Nope, her dad just really loved the name Kevin and when she turned out to be a girl, Nivek it was. She rolled her eyes, but it fit her really well. Who knew the name Kevin was such a global phenomenon!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived