IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Engaged!

choralcrusader8613

2 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

If anyone asked my father for permission to date/marry me me, he'd have looked at them like they had 4 heads and told them to get the hell out of his house if they have so little respect for me that they feel the need to ask HIM if I am allowed to do something when I'm a grown ass adult woman. 

My Dad is a surly German with the accent, so it would be extra terrifying for them.

Thankfully Mr LBE had more sense than that. 

If it wasn't the only way they could actually have sex, they could wait 2-3 years, but alas.....

I don't think my dad would even understand the question. He would be very much: ”Why are you asking me? I don't want to marry you.”

The first time Mr Way visited my parents house my dad showed him the cross bow that he built him self and told him ”it can shoot through a door.” Mr Way was sure it was to scare him but I'm pretty sure my dad was just proud of his cross bow and finally had a man in the house to show it off to. :pb_lol:

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband didn't ask my parents permission to propose but the night before he did take the ring over to their house to show them and he told them how he was going to ask. They thought it was fun to see the ring and be "in on the plan" so to speak.  I didn't really feel weird about it or anything I'm their only daughter and they weren't going to be there when he asked so I felt like he made it special for them too.

If it was up to my dad when I start dating... I would probbly not get permission until I'm 35, or maybe even for as long as he lives, hahaha. And I would probably have to get a PhD or something before that. He was 44 when he married my mom (first marriage) and I think that's why he was so uncomfortable with me starting to date my now-boyfriend (I was 18). He was all "She should focus on school" etc.  Did not stop me.

My mom had 3 failed marriages. My dad had 2 failed marriages, called off 1 engagement, and has been "engaged" for the last 10 years. They get no say in what happens in my relationship and they know it. We got engaged at 18 and my husband never even considered asking my parents for permission. Its not like they would know a good spouse if they saw one anyway. End my bitter sounding rant lol. 

We were h.s. sweethearts. We went to the beach for a week when we graduated and my husband proposed. He did ask my dad's permission, beforehand and was told it was ok but we had to wait to get married until after I got my associate's. While i think it was sweet that he asked, I def. won't think twice if our daughters just tell us one day they got engaged. 

My mom was in the hospital (a regular occurrence for the last few years of her life) when my husband "asked" permission. I had run home to get a few things for her and to let the dogs out. For some reason, I didn't find it suspicious at all that he decided to stay put. My mom was always one for giving my husband a hard time. "You think I'm dying, don't you!? Oh God, (husband's name) thinks I'm dying, (dad's name)." I wish I could tell this story the way she did. Those two were a riot together.

I thought it was sweet, but nobody would've been offended if he hadn't asked. 

My husband asked for my parents' blessing - inside a Dunkin Donuts. Because coffee and donuts are delightful. They spent all of two seconds on the blessing and then they all brainstormed on the actual proposal. 

My BIL asked them too. Only he met them at a Starbucks. I'm sensing a theme here. :pb_lol:

On 3/6/2017 at 4:57 PM, onekidanddone said:

They might be by then.  And you know a 19 year old has so much wisdom to impart  after being married a week.

There is a fundy family down the street from my late mom's house (the dad grew up in that house, drank the cool-aid, and is the only fundy in a neighborhood of plaster Virgin Marys and the odd Methodist and of course, my late mom - the token Jew.  His daughter married at 17, to a guy in the Army.  I think daughter had just returned from honeymoon to live at parent's house while her husband was deployed somewhere.

So his "ministry" was to walk around the neighborhood and talk, er, lecture people about the Bible.  I was at my mom's working in her yard one weekend and he came by and while going thru the usual pleasantries, he sees my ring.  He then tells me his daughter will be over to talk to me.  Didn't ask me - told me.  

She brought her wedding album and she and dad proceeded to tell me the importance of using the bible as a manual for a happy marriage etc.  I was about 26, a recent law school grad,  clerking for a judge, and happily cohabiting with future spouse.  I politely listened, smiled and complemented her wedding album.  Then her ass of a dad said that it was important for someone to "show me the way" because my mother was divorced and hadn't raised me with a proper foundation for marriage, that she wasn't living a godly lifestyle (by working 2 jobs and making her daughter use power tools I guess)   I felt the steam pressure build behind my ears.  So I told them that I was learning so much just by living with David.  I also told him about my job and how we were squirreling every spare dime for the downpayment on our house.  His face goes completely pale and he just shakes his head.  She left me a booklet.  I guess we were doing "it" all wrong.

These people all consider themselves experts in everything.

My dad always jokes that he's disappointed my husband never asked him if he could marry me because he lost the chance to play some mad mind games lol.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

My dad always jokes that he's disappointed my husband never asked him if he could marry me because he lost the chance to play some mad mind games lol.

Dh didn't ask my parents either but my dad did say to him as he passed me off at the alter, OUT LOUD for everyone to hear, "Good luck she's all yours".  Big laugh, and I wanted to kill him, until we got to the part in the vows where the pastor asked "Love honor and Obey" (we left that in as a joke)  he giggled on the last word and said, "I've only known Pam 2 years and even I couldn't say that with a straight face" I'm just thinking ASSHOLES! I'm a sweet lovely fucking person don't talk shit about me!  As most of you may have noticed I don't hold my tongue here, I don't anywhere that whole filter thing, mines broken. 

My husband and I decided to get married, and my husband then had a talk with my dad to tell him beforehand and get his blessing. My husband is a very traditional Englishman and my dad is quite traditional, too. It was sweet and I think my husband was more nervous about that part than he was about proposing (though, to be fair, he knew I was going to say "yes").

I would never want any boyfriend of mine to ask for my parents' blessing or permission because they have such outdated views on what a relationship should be.

Just watched J'chelle and JB's congrats video to Joy and Austin and was inspired to make my first GIF. (This video was one of the weirder congratulatory ones I've seen from them, and that's saying a lot, of course.)

Spoiler

luxfiliaJOYAUSTIN.gif

17 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

Just watched J'chelle and JB's congrats video to Joy and Austin and was inspired to make my first GIF. (This video was one of the weirder congratulatory ones I've seen from them, and that's saying a lot, of course.)

Spoiler

luxfiliaJOYAUSTIN.gif

What is even going on there

Ooops, thanks to the moderator who corrected my gif not being behind a spoiler. I suck at forumish stuff. :'(

Also, they were explaining how a couple grows closer to each other as they grow closer to God, in a triangular relationship. :/

50 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

Reveal hidden contents

luxfiliaJOYAUSTIN.gif

Oh my! My first thought was, "Is this the precursor to the Lego talk?"

(For those newer to the board, Jim Bob had a really uncomfortable talk with Josh before he was married and compared sex to Legos, when it comes to parts fitting together.)

Now, my friends, :brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach:

Why do you suppose Jinger and Jeremy haven't congratulated them publicly...but they have already made a video congratulating  Joe and Kendra? Do you think they don't approve of the engagement? Can't find comments on this anywhere.....apologies if I'm being obtuse.....

My husband and I mutually agreed we wanted to be engaged, but I still wanted a proposal. He definitely did not ask my parents...Strong feminists. But I don't mind the idea of telling them in advance you plan to officially ask, as long as the couple has already discussed marriage. Blessing instead of permission sounds OK if you come from a traditional family and want to "ask". As long as it's purely customary. We all live by some (archaic) rituals. This one is more loaded then some though...

(I have an anthropology background lol).

4 minutes ago, Kjaerringa said:

Why do you suppose Jinger and Jeremy haven't congratulated them publicly...but they have already made a video congratulating  Joe and Kendra?

There is the link to the video on FB page. 

Not even in a relationship, but I think it would be nice to give my parents a heads up via the future husband.

Also saw this on a duggars tumblr:

Spoiler

tumblr_omhg9gFFYx1tl94kio1_540.jpeg

She definitely had to know!

Even with a female partner I would ask her parents for permission. And I would want that she asks mine. I just love traditions. Also the father walking the bride down the aisle. I love it. 

5 hours ago, PainfullyAware said:

My husband and I mutually agreed we wanted to be engaged, but I still wanted a proposal. He definitely did not ask my parents...Strong feminists. But I don't mind the idea of telling them in advance you plan to officially ask, as long as the couple has already discussed marriage. Blessing instead of permission sounds OK if you come from a traditional family and want to "ask". As long as it's purely customary. We all live by some (archaic) rituals. This one is more loaded then some though...

(I have an anthropology background lol).

I'd be fine with talking to the parents about wanting to get married as a way to show that you want to be a part of the family and consider your potential in-laws family (and because of that, if I were thinking of getting married, I'd want to talk to my fiance(e)'s family as well). But asking permission? Hell to the no.

Random... anyone have a screenshot of Austin with the pillow on his lap from that show? 

To add to the current discussion, I told fiancé that if he asked my parents first that I would not say yes. Sounds harsh but my stubborn feminist side kicked in. I don't like the tradition. Plus my mom likes to be the one in charge of everything and be in on everything... I wanted to have one thing that actually surprised her. But... fiancé showed them the ring and told them before proposing. I wasn't happy about it at all when I found out afterwards. Oh well. I still said yes haha  

7 hours ago, luxfilia said:

Also, they were explaining how a couple grows closer to each other as they grow closer to God, in a triangular relationship. :/

Do they even know a shit about trigonometry? :pb_lol: If the couple gets closere  the side will become smaller, and the other two sides smaller. And i freaking looooooove that gif

I really really want Joy to wear this dress!! I feel like it would suit her so well! I can't wait to see what she wears and what her wedding style is tho cause she's never been super into that kinda thing so I'm courious to see if she'll impose some sort of style or she'll be influenced by like Sierra or something

IMG_0302.PNG

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived