IGNORED

Joy and Austin: Engaged!

choralcrusader8613

Does Austin have any social media pages? 

I was doing some searching just for fun and discovered that someone registered the domain joyandaustin.com four days before the courtship was official. My guess is that they will have a web site full of stories about how the lord got them together and that they both love to serve and adopt and receive children as gifts very soon. 

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, shiverful said:

He does/did have the instagram handle austin4site, but it was private even then.

18 hours ago, singsingsing said:

It's amazing how differently people interpret things. Jessa actually looks the most happy out of all of the sisters to me, and I think she and Ben have plenty of chemistry. She doesn't hang off of him like Jill hangs off of Derick, or stare at him with googly eyes and squeal "Baaaaaaaabe!" every five seconds like Jinger does with Jeremy, but I'm not sure that's indicative of a lack of chemistry. Plus, she seems to absolutely love being a mother. She seems pretty content with her lot in life to me.

I love all these different perspectives! I agree completely that Jessa (to me at least) seems very happy. I used to think her THs with Bin were horrendous/devoid of chemistry, but this last season has changed my mind. I think they love each other a lot, but are extremely private on camera. Plus, they're both sort of awkward/reserved/quirky people, and I think that gives their THs that stilted feel.

Anyway, back to Joy and Austin: I think it is a good sign that they've know each other for so long and Austin seems supportive of Joy's outdoorsy/tomboy personality. She's not the fundie princess that Erin Paine is, and she's not a damsel-in-distress, girly-girl type like Jill or Jinger, so I'm glad she's going to marry a man who doesn't seem to expect her to change to fit a more traditional fundie wife persona. Plus, Austin has marketable skills (flipping houses, etc), which will hopefully give them financial independence and allow them to find their own way in the world (as opposed to living off the gravy train or grifting--looking at you, Derick). Joy is very young, but like others have noted, age doesn't really have a maturing effect on fundie women. Marriage and children do, but not age.

15 hours ago, loveformusic said:

When I saw there was some sort of announcement ("exciting news!") on my Timeline from the Duggars Official FB...I honestly was NOT thinking it would be Joy & Austin's engagement. Not a surprise, of course, but I just hope this is what Joy really/truly wants & I wish her and Austin nothing but happiness. :) Wedding countdown starts now...!

Honestly I'll take this over Jinger or Anna being pregnant right now. But Ugh then w'll be waiting for Joy pregnancy announcements. And NONE of us are ready for that, least of all Joy and Austin. 

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I think Jessa realizes that she could have personally done better. Jessa, IMO, sees herself as the Alpha sister, especially over Jinger, and then Jinger gets herself an actual man, and Jessa is stuck with a boy child??? I am sure this p*sses Jessa off.

I always saw the choice of Ben for Jessa as JB getting Jessa back for all the grief she caused while growing up...Yes, JB is that immature and vindictive. And by choosing I mean giving his blessing and OK to the match-

I also kind of hypothesize that Jessa realizes now that she could have done better. But I don't think JB was thinking of getting back at her. I think he just gave the go ahead because he knew he could keep a man boy in line easier than a grown man. 

But Jessa is meant to wear the pants in the family no matter how many times fundies act like god made men the one who wears the pants. Jessa wouldn't like a guy like Jeremy because she can't boss him around. And Jeremy doesn't want someone like Jessa. She's definitely not meek. 

38 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But Jessa is meant to wear the pants in the family no matter how many times fundies act like god made men the one who wears the pants. Jessa wouldn't like a guy like Jeremy because she can't boss him around. And Jeremy doesn't want someone like Jessa. She's definitely not meek. 

All of this. 1000%.

21 hours ago, Jiraffe said:

I was wondering about this too, would Joy even be "allowed" to get married at the camp? And does it have the capacity for the 1000+ people who are apparently mandatory at these things? I hope she would be able to get married there, since it would really suit her to have an outdoor rustic setting.

I'd also like to see her have Carlin Bates as her MOH. The other girls have all had siblings in that role and it would be really nice to see one of them have a friend instead.

A quick look at the gallery on the Fort Rock Family Camp website revealed what looks like a rustic chapel.  Since all the kids seem to have gotten married at different churches, maybe that chapel would do?  On the other hand it doesn't really look big enough to accommodate 1000 people...

On Fri Mar 03 2017 at 4:00 PM, JessaBlessa said:

They've GOT to have a special when Josie gets married though!  I'd tune in for that.  :pizza:

Josie is a dead ringer for Dakota Fanning. Josie is gonna date several guys without chaperones!

3 hours ago, shiverful said:

I was doing some searching just for fun and discovered that someone registered the domain joyandaustin.com four days before the courtship was official. My guess is that they will have a web site full of stories about how the lord got them together and that they both love to serve and adopt and receive children as gifts very soon. 

I feel like if I got off my ass and learned some web design, I could make a killing making Mad Libs fundie couple websites.

NAME and NAME began courting in YEAR. NAME felt that DEITY was VERBing HIM/HER to NAME because of NAME's VAGUE ATTRIBUTE.

Add a couple of photos of them staring at each other from a respectable distance on train tracks, a close-up photo of cowboy boots and a wooden ampersand, and two photos of their gigantic families, and you're all set.

54 minutes ago, ModestisHottest said:

A quick look at the gallery on the Fort Rock Family Camp website revealed what looks like a rustic chapel.  Since all the kids seem to have gotten married at different churches, maybe that chapel would do?  On the other hand it doesn't really look big enough to accommodate 1000 people...

Ah yes, I just went and looked.... I bet they could make it work, considering they seem to make up their own rules as they go along! And actually, I just looked back a bit on their FB page as well and saw that apparently, the Duggars' Pastor Caldwell preached there last summer. 

Size wise though you're right, it doesn't look big enough. But it would be FREE I'm sure, and we know JB likes free! So I bet they'll find a way.

8 hours ago, eveandadam said:

As he grows up and becomes a real man, Ben will only become more dominant and Jessa won't have much time left to think for herself with more and more little ones at home.

I don't think that will happen. He may become a bit more assertive as he ages, but I can't see his fundamental personality completely changing. For reference, when I was 20, I was sensitive, naive, caring, organised, and dreamy. Now at 36 and a lot of trauma later  I am still most of those, but I am no longer naive or dreamy. I also still am not domineering or a Director like Jessa. It would literally take some sort of brain injury for most folks to change from being the co-operative type to the domineering type. He may play at it because the cult might make him thinks he needs to, but realistically I wouldn't see Jessa letting him getting away with that. I think she is smarter than she appears to be. I could see her putting the foot right down if he turned into a Josh-lite. 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I also kind of hypothesize that Jessa realizes now that she could have done better. But I don't think JB was thinking of getting back at her. I think he just gave the go ahead because he knew he could keep a man boy in line easier than a grown man. 

I am one who thinks she is actually happy with Ben.  I totally agree with everything else though.  Jessa also would not like to be with Jeremy at all. They would totally clash.  She would always wear the pants. Remember her "we might elope" comment at Jill's wedding. Don't mess with Jess, indeed!

Jessa and Jeremy:  Just think about the books in the closet and the look on his face.  They'd drive each other batty in less than 30 minutes.

Yeah, I think a Jessa-Jeremy relationship might be entertaining for everyone watching, but not so much for the two of them.

1 hour ago, Galbin said:

I am one who thinks she is actually happy with Ben.  I totally agree with everything else though.  Jessa also would not like to be with Jeremy at all. They would totally clash.  She would always wear the pants. Remember her "we might elope" comment at Jill's wedding. Don't mess with Jess, indeed!

I guess I see it that way because I'm dominant in romantic relationships. My first BF and I dated a long time and it was good at first but he just let me completely bulldoze him. I not only wore the pants, but the boots, the shirt and the fucking hat. It gets really old after awhile when you feel like the only adult in the relationship because he just constantly defers to you. This is all speculation but I see it between Ben and Jessa and imagine it will get worse unless he learns to stand up to her. Or maybe she doesn't care that she basically has three kids to deal with all the time. But I imagine it will bother her eventually. 

BTW if you are curious, my first BF is a nice person and found a better match and is married and I've found a better match as well. My husband doesn't let me completely bulldoze him. I just wear the pants. Not everything else ;-)

3 hours ago, Jiraffe said:

Ah yes, I just went and looked.... I bet they could make it work, considering they seem to make up their own rules as they go along! And actually, I just looked back a bit on their FB page as well and saw that apparently, the Duggars' Pastor Caldwell preached there last summer. 

Size wise though you're right, it doesn't look big enough. But it would be FREE I'm sure, and we know JB likes free! So I bet they'll find a way.

Outdoor wedding, why not, if they have a spring/summer wedding. As long as they have a back up plan for rain. 

15 hours ago, PumaLover said:

Do you know where I can watch it? I remember seeing it back when it was new, 2009-ish. 

I purchased the episode of Amazon for 1.99! I may watch another one after reading some of the info for the others. 

I haven't been keeping up with the Duggars enough lately to really have an opinion on this engagement (although where I live getting married at 19 isn't super weird, so that part doesn't bother me), but I am looking forward to the next round of FJ discussion about the "right" way to have a wedding, what food is rude to serve or not serve to guests, whether or not alcohol and dancing are necessary to have a good time, what shoes are appropriate to wear in what locations, etc. that I am sure will ensue as the speculation about the details of Joy's wedding begins. 

Has Joy emerged on social media anywhere? I'm curious if she'll follow her mom Jill or her sister Jinger with social media. 

On 3/4/2017 at 8:32 AM, Berty K said:

I'm going for a first week of May wedding. Things just keep happening faster & faster. 

I do agree that I'm surprised they married off all the girls so quickly. I would have thought they'd make Joy court through summer both for the show and so she'd be 20 by the time of the wedding. 

Sigh**

Anxious to see what parts Sierra and cousin Amy might play. They both appeared close to Joy at certain points. 

Yes.... interesting to wrap it all up together when normally it would be played out. 

Jessa's not allowed to be unhappy in her marriage with Ben, so it doesn't matter whether they are well-suited to each other or not. Maybe it's a good this that she got paired with someone like Ben, so she's free to be her bossy, opinionated self. But she's not allowed to question whether they are well-suited, or whether she made a mistake, or could have done better; her chance to decide that was when they were courting. Ben is dopey and harmless, it's not like she's stuck in some cruel marriage, so if she has ever had any thoughts about being annoyed by her husband or inklings about being mismatched they were probably easily stamped out of her mind.

I think Jessa and Ben get along because dopey Ben brings humour into their relationship with his dopeyness. Jessa finds it charming and it also benefits her because she gets to be the neck that turns the head. 

If she'd been paired with someone like Jeremy though, she would still have to bend to his headship regardless of where she thought the bookshelves should go. She would have to be more bookish because her headship was bookish, and his interests are her interests.

14 hours ago, Galbin said:

I don't think that will happen. He may become a bit more assertive as he ages, but I can't see his fundamental personality completely changing. 

Agree with Galbin, Ben will never become the boss. He will always see himself as having lucked out getting with Jessa. Her being this beautiful famous girl from TV, and him being an average regular person is a huge power imbalance. Did his family really have any status in the cult beforehand? Are they ATI?

Jill has a meek "follower" personality so Derick has the upper hand. He seems extremely creepy and like he was looking to marry someone he could control. I wonder what was Jill's first reaction to Derick's crazy plan of moving to CA? 

Meanwhile Jeremy and Austin were already "stars" and "VIPs" in their own way, so they naturally have a little more leverage than Ben. 

Am i surprised? - no

Am i shocked? - no

Am i happy about the news? - no

I don't think TLC can stretch the excitement about a Duggar wedding any more after this one. We watched Jill and Derick. And we watched Jessa and Ben. And we watched Jinger and Jeremy. And we will watch Joy and Austin. There will be the talk about their courtship rules. There will be Jim Bob fake-considering about the answer he has to give Austin after he asked for permission to propose to Joy. There will be wedding planning with not much time, a shoestring budget (yeah, we will believe it this time), weddingdress-shopping with a more or less attending Michelle, and Joy and Austin saying they are excited and can't wait to get married. There will be the wedding with a first kiss and revisions from the first kisses from the other married sisters. There will be fake glares to hide the married brother, what was his name? 

It is like another version of an old film with new actors. I really hope the family is really and honestly excited about Joy's wedding. It would be sad if they were not. 

42 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

Snip

It is like another version of an old film with new actors. I really hope the family is really and honestly excited about Joy's wedding. It would be sad if they were not. 

I'm sure they are excited, they will have had 4 weddings in 3 years by the time Joy marries. Michelle,  Jill & Jessa appear to have had very little to do with Jinger's wedding, hell Jinger appeared to have little to do with Jinger's wedding ,Joy & Cindy seemed to do almost everything. So if the married sisters do nothing that leaves Jana and Joy maybe Sierra will be able to make her return to wedding planning or Miss Cindy will jump in again. Or maybe Joy future MIL & SIL will be doing a lot of it.  

6 hours ago, evolutionbaby said:

Jessa's not allowed to be unhappy in her marriage with Ben, so it doesn't matter whether they are well-suited to each other or not. Maybe it's a good this that she got paired with someone like Ben, so she's free to be her bossy, opinionated self. But she's not allowed to question whether they are well-suited, or whether she made a mistake, or could have done better; her chance to decide that was when they were courting. Ben is dopey and harmless, it's not like she's stuck in some cruel marriage, so if she has ever had any thoughts about being annoyed by her husband or inklings about being mismatched they were probably easily stamped out of her mind.

I think Jessa and Ben get along because dopey Ben brings humour into their relationship with his dopeyness. Jessa finds it charming and it also benefits her because she gets to be the neck that turns the head. 

If she'd been paired with someone like Jeremy though, she would still have to bend to his headship regardless of where she thought the bookshelves should go. She would have to be more bookish because her headship was bookish, and his interests are her interests.

There is no way Jessa could have survived with Jeremy by her side.  They are both alike bossy and authoritative.  You see it in in the episode where she decorates the apartment.  He wanted to keep sweet while she didn't have to. 

Jessa is like that.  She doesn't have to.  She got that role. 

As for Ben I am sure he asserts what he wants towards her.  I do think they have passion between them.  I think Jessa is getting what she needs from her life opposed to Jill. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived