IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: Married with...No Children (yet)

Destiny

30 minutes ago, calimojo said:

The pics were nice, but they aren't really part of the actual wedding.   But again,  Being beautiful in the wedding pics are for Jessa's benefit.  I am strongly of the opinion that when you extend invitations to people to a wedding or a birthday party, etc, and you are expecting them to travel and bring a present, then you have an obligation to be hospitable to people which includes having enough seating, offering some sustenance, and not expecting them to stand in the cold.  Yes,  a wedding is a big deal for the bride and groom, of course, but that doesn't excuse them from having to think beyond themselves and taking good care of their guests. 

Jessa's wedding seemed very self centered to me.  She barely cared about the bridesmaid dresses, nor did she seem to care that they didn't really flatter her bridesmaids or that they didn't really like them much.  She certainly didn't think about her guests having to stand in the parking lot.   Jinger tried to select dresses that were generally flattering on her friends.  And looked appropriate for the occasion.  And she provided a bit more for her guests.  Jessa's wedding was Look at Me, I am getting married.  Jinger's was "Come and join us as we join together in marriage".  I remember seeing both Jill and Jessa barely acknowledging their guests, strolling about on the parking lots and sidewalks of the church.  We haven't seen many pictures or footage of the reception yet so it is hard to know if Jinger and Jeremy made the rounds with their guests and welcomed and thanked them as is customary or not.  Hopefully she did. 

I think she did, if anything to get practice in as a minister's wife.  She'll need to be able to waddle through a sea of people grateful to be in her presence, and seem as equally enthralled with them, as they are with her.  Can't waste an opportunity to learn that valuable trait ;)

*this post was brought to you full of sarcasm and snark because TMI period hormones suck and are making me cranky this cycle*

EDA: Also, wedding etiquette varies too much between regions, cultures, and religious traditions, for there to be ever be a "end-all-to-end-all" rule book that can apply to everyone . . . that being said, I'd have felt horrible if I hadn't had said "hi" to all those that took the time to show up at my wedding.  Then again, I only had like fifty people there, across seven tables, so I took all of an hour to chat with everyone for a few minutes :D

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/11/2016 at 5:28 PM, Bad Wolf said:

My church (Episcopal) has a woman priest and does gay marriage. Sure, in the past it was patriarchal, but not any more

Epscopalians unite!

I sure hope Jeremy told her that at proper weddings it is polite to  go around and thank everyone individually for coming. There are probably a lot of customs she'll have to learn.

2 hours ago, habert said:

Is that Carlin??? I mean, it looks like her...but it also doesn't? Who is she holding?

Obviously a girl baby. Lucky they put that huge flower on her so no one mistook her for a boy. 

I never got those things. They look so uncomfortable. And who cares if someone random get your babys gender wrong? Then again it never bothers me when people think my son is a girl because he wanted me to paint his nails and likes to wear a dress with his favourite cartoon on it. 

I know someone will tell him that some of the things he likes are ”only for girls” sooner or later. :(

There must be different branches of Episcopalian churches.  I have a friend who  lived on the east coast who was studying to be a priest. When she had to move to the midwest,  she was very upset to find out that the Episcopalian churches in our area didn't allow female priests. 

2 hours ago, calimojo said:

Out of curiosity, do we have a common definition of fundamentalist christian?  I think we all sort of have our own version of that.  For me, it describes people who claim to follow the bible very literally and who in general shun or actively avoid interacting with the world at large.  Patriarchy is a part of that, but for many years, even mainstream religions promoted patriarchy and some still do.  The whole Man and Wife thing, or Love honor and Obey, vows are examples, as is our own government and culture where the term Man of the House is still often used to describe head of household. 

But I think of Fundies as following more extreme rules regarding patriarchy, with women expected to take on a decidedly submissive rule.

In more recent times, Fundamentalism in Christianity seems to also include homeschooling, and big families.  In my youth, I had friends from fundamentalist backgrounds and I am assuming they used some sort of family planning as most did not have more than 4 kids.  This trend to re-populate the earth with big families seems really rooted in a certain brand or brands of fundamentalism like Gothardism or Vision Forum or whatever the Seeweirds follow.

Also, when I think of the fundies that I have known over the years, they are often very hardworking people who value education.  While they may not accept evolution, they in general are well read and  it is not unusual for their kids to go to college, usually focusing on degrees in agriculture, nursing, sacred music.  Often the women would work at least until they had children, but in traditionally female dominated careers. 

What @formergothardite said.  We've always avoided strictly defining it, partly because there are so many fuzzy areas in Christianity and partly because we don't always talk about Fundamentalist Christians.

I've honed my definition over the years and it does come back to the (quite recent as in the last 30 years) Christian Patriarchal Movement.  While there are many Evangelicals, some with Fundamentalist leanings (see "The Fundamentals: A Testimony to the Truth" published in the 1920s or thereabouts for a definitions) the Christian Patriarchal Movement goes to greater extremes.

There are lots of Bible literalists,  anti-evolution, anti-abortion, flat-earthers, and so on in all denominations and non-denominations.  I call those people Fundie, Fundie-lite and Evangelical - and there are a lot of fuzzy areas.

To me it boils down to how they treat women.  The Christian Patriarchal Movement preaches submission.  

•  Fundie = female submission = penis always rules and women must submit.  Tend to home-school, homestead, and live "separate from the world.  Breed Quivers with the goal of world dominion.  Some are Sovereign Citizen types.  Hate LBGTQ and same sex marriage.  Abortion = murder. A few (not all and only the most extreme) are anti-education.
  • Fundie-lite/very Evangelical = complementarian = different but complementary.  Penis still rules.  May home school, homestead and so on, but are part of the bigger community.  Usually dislike LBGTQ but don't necessarily go apeshit.  Can (rarely) be pro-choice. 
  • Christianity as Jesus actually preached it = egalitarian = penis and vagina hold equal power.  Live and let live.

Even within denominations there is considerable variety.  There are some Catholics I would consider to be extreme Fundamentalists.  

what is the name for the form of religion that believes in god, generally follows judeo-christian values but doesn't necessarily believe in Jesus.  Not denying someone named Jesus existed, just doesn't by the son of God thing.

6 minutes ago, calimojo said:

what is the name for the form of religion that believes in god, generally follows judeo-christian values but doesn't necessarily believe in Jesus.  Not denying someone named Jesus existed, just doesn't by the son of God thing.

Unitarian. They believe that God exists aa one being instead of a triune God... Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

2 hours ago, HomeschooledHeartThrob said:

It's cool. You were lucky to have different experiences. Mine all stayed the same just different names on the buildings, but they all were in a 20 mile radius, just different names. 

From what you have shared so far, I think all your experiences were in the Fundie or Fundie-lite category of Christianity.  "Evangelical" to the extreme anyway if you think they all preached Patriarchy.

There really is a lot more to all of this that we like to discuss and explore here.   It is a complicated topic.

39 minutes ago, calimojo said:

Believers in God (a supreme being) and the Historical Jesus?  I'm not sure.

When I look at the historical Jesus I think he was a pretty cool guy.  I like a lot of what he preached (without the overlay of Paul).  I don't think he was the son of god, and I have a problem with the concept of a supreme being.  Therefore - I'm an atheist. :)

I know this is a late comment, but I dislike the "we're enjoying our honeymoon" video so much. Why did they even release it?

Both of them look exhausted, but Jinger's smiling as she talks and then bobbing her head encouragingly at Jeremy when he talks. Jinger is making an effort.

Jeremy's not. He says the words but that's all. No smile or interest shown that I could see. 

Probably I'm reading waaayy too much into an informal little video.  It's just I had my fill of this type of thing during the election debates when Clinton showed up all prepared, ready and engaged but somehow all Trump had to do was show up. 

Not, NOT!! comparing Jeremy to Donald, honestly. It's just the dynamic between Jinger and Jeremy in that video made me kinda sad.  Pretty wedding, though. 

I attempted to ombre it but I think I screwed it up a bit.

I actually love the BM dresses but agree that poor Jill's was just the wrong colour in the whole mess of 11.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 7.24.46 PM.png

Here are just the bottoms.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 7.32.18 PM.png

On 2016-11-10 at 9:53 PM, metheglyn said:

Per the discussion about the bridesmaids colors being so poorly matched, I attempted to ombre the whole batch...and failed. Given how much they were leaning in on each other I just took snippets of their skirts to see if I could make the colors blend, but I just can't even begin to find a way to make them transition at all smoothly. The two red dresses are ALMOST the same color, but not quite. And then there's such a range of warm tones, cool tones, and then Hannie, Jill, and Jana. They're all generally fairly pretty individually, and they make for an interesting group shot, but tone and hue wise they're ALL over the map. 

Ombre Attempt.JPG

You did a way better job than me... I have been having a SUPER hard time keeping up with all the posts and missed this.  I just did it, but did a shitty job of it.  I never could do colour wheel stuff.  I'm also a pretty crappy quilter.  HA!  Well, actually I quilt amazingly, but my sense of colour is garbage.

1 hour ago, calimojo said:

There must be different branches of Episcopalian churches.  I have a friend who  lived on the east coast who was studying to be a priest. When she had to move to the midwest,  she was very upset to find out that the Episcopalian churches in our area didn't allow female priests. 

Yeahhhh there have been some weird schisms. I'm in South Carolina, the state famous for its Episcopalian drama. But even before that, there was at least one local congregation that called itself Anglican instead of Episcopalian and was more conservative. 

2 hours ago, calimojo said:

2 hours ago, Helena Handbaket said:

Unitarian. They believe that God exists aa one being instead of a triune God... Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

I actually go to a Unitarian Universalist church, even though I'm Christian (10% of UU'S are Christian, but there seems to be even less in my congregation).  Definitely check out their seven principles.  . . I think our church has found a great balance of humanism and respecting all faiths :)

The church blended the two principles of Unitarian and Universalism together, though it no longer considers itself a Christian denomination nowadays.  I really like getting to know all faiths. Like, I never heard of the ba Hai Faith before going there, and our reverend wife told me a good bit about it, because she's member (I'd check it out, too if you have time.  They lean more towards a "what if they're all right - judeo-christian, Islam, etc.").

Also, most of Islam follows judeo-christian old testament leanings, believes in Jesus as a prophet, just not the son of god ~

^ just my two cents :)

Have you guys checked out Marci Dauers FB page? She posted a bunch of pics from the wedding weekend on nov 10. There's a pic of Sierra with an ugly floral sack dress on.

5 hours ago, Suz8710 said:

Yes! Very much so with her youngest son - Cooper. I believe he was a surprise as all of his siblings are much older. One of Cooper's sisters is married to a Keilen, so there's the fundie royalty connection.

I actually suspect that Cooper is a reversal baby.

Now I'm off to look at Marci's pics. Thanks for the heads up, @JermajestyDuggar!

2 minutes ago, halcionne said:

I actually suspect that Cooper is a reversal baby.

Now I'm off to look at Marci's pics. Thanks for the heads up, @JermajestyDuggar!

She didn't listen to the Duggars request! Lots of reception pictures! Marjorie are in some and look very pretty. 

16 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

She didn't listen to the Duggars request! Lots of reception pictures! Marjorie are in some and look very pretty. 

She sure didn't! Maybe JRod will go ahead and release hers now, too. ;) 

I got screenies of the pics I found notable: Marja-vieve, Skylar Weiss, his sister Peyton wearing a baby, possible Rod girl in a cluster of other little girls, Marci holding Spurgeon.

10 minutes ago, halcionne said:

She sure didn't! Maybe JRod will go ahead and release hers now, too.  

I got screenies of the pics I found notable: Marja-vieve, Skylar Weiss, his sister Peyton wearing a baby, possible Rod girl in a cluster of other little girls, Marci holding Spurgeon.

I saw in that gaggle of little girls that jenni and hannie were in there along with a girl in a rag dress from Michael Bates wedding so it must be a Bates girl. I also saw a few pics of some of the Hortanos, Lawson and Josie bates, Spurgeon, Izzy, Meredith, Pecan, Priss, Davia, Phillip, Michelle, JB, and of course a few of Sierra. Then s bunch of people I don't recognize. I didn't spot Jill rod or her crew :-(

@JermajestyDuggar I was thinking the girl in the black & pink poufy dress could be a Rod? 

Screen Shot 11-12-16 at 06.09 PM.PNG

Here's some fundie eye traps candy for the Skylar fans out there

Screen Shot 11-12-16 at 06.10 PM.PNG 

I almost forgot! Here are Mama and Papa Dauer discussing their conversion experience on the 700 Club. Can anyone tell me how to save this vid in case Cooper ever removes it?

At risk of imagining things.... but do I spy JillRod in the background to one of those pictures? 

The picture in question has Sierra wearing a bring pink tracksuit top stranding with two other women in the Duggar lounge.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Have you guys checked out Marci Dauers FB page? She posted a bunch of pics from the wedding weekend on nov 10. There's a pic of Sierra with an ugly floral sack dress on.

I'm so glad you pointed this out so I could go and have a look.

Lots of wholesome smiles there with all their little gifts from god...

Marjorie is sticking around it seems.  And a few picks of women in pants and the growing trend of shorter-than-usual-skirt-worn with-leggings.  

Several things about that  video 

That's Donna from Dallas 

I swear I saw that house in ET the movie 

These people have the same rocking chair my mother did 

Now I know why Cooper is weird - his parents are nuts - 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived