IGNORED

Bates 33: More of the Same, Beige, Greige, Muted, and Washed Out

Coconut Flan

Mama Jane is the best. Everyone else can fuck off.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 3

I wonder if the Trump-loving Bates have ever thought about what would happen to the Bates Sisters Boutique if this happened. I've always thought it was insanely irresponsible for Zach to give up his government job with benefits to work for the boutique.

image.thumb.png.9346dd2f23aa39720d80209fa57efff8.png

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

8 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I wonder if the Trump-loving Bates have ever thought about what would happen to the Bates Sisters Boutique if this happened. I've always thought it was insanely irresponsible for Zach to give up his government job with benefits to work for the boutique.

Probably not. Last round, both 45 and his followers were stupid enough to believe that the tariffs would penalize China. No doubt they still do. As with everything else, if the worst happens, they are all going to be shocked when they discover that the horrible policies they championed in order to "own the libs" are going to bite their own asses too.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...

Are Bill and Jane christians? Did Gil grow up going to church, Sunday school, et cetera? I just noticed that today is Bill and Jane’s 60th anniversary, someone posted about it (Kelly?). Since Gil is born January 1st 1965 he was either premature or Jane was pregnant when she got married. Being a christian doesn’t necessarily mean no sex before marriage nowadays, but what was it like in the 50-60’s?

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Cupcake79 said:

Are Bill and Jane christians? Did Gil grow up going to church, Sunday school, et cetera? I just noticed that today is Bill and Jane’s 60th anniversary, someone posted about it (Kelly?). Since Gil is born January 1st 1965 he was either premature or Jane was pregnant when she got married. Being a christian doesn’t necessarily mean no sex before marriage nowadays, but what was it like in the 50-60’s?

I believe that you are saying that Gil was born either 2 months early or Jane was pregnant on her wedding day, correct? This is a good background article on Bill and Jane--Gil grew up Methodist, but then decided he wanted to be Baptist when in secondary school: https://archive.independentmail.com/features/honea-path-couple-their-son-featured-in-new-television-show-united-bates-of-america-ep-407868706-348324271.html [Methodists in the US are generally less conservative Christians than Baptists are]

PS As someone who grew up in southern small town America, my reaction to your question about whether two 80 year old-something white small town Southerners are Christian is--"Of course they are!!" In a place like where they live (Honea Path, South Carolina) you assumed everyone (white or black) was (Protestant) Christian (unless you learned they were possibly Catholic or Jewish). It is only very recently that it has become socially acceptable in America, especially among older people, to not at least "pretend" to have a religious affiliation.

• Upvote 12

Them not being that religious is probably why at least his brother is not very religious, which is why Gil's niece Kat graduated with a 4-year degree from Anderson University a couple of years ago. She now lives in NYC with her boyfriend, who she has been with for four years. I think they became a couple after she just finished her sophomore year of college. She does theater design for sets.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 2

People have been getting pregnant before they get married throughout time. There is a fun quote from a medical textbook from the 19th century along the lines of: Pregnancy lasts 9 months, however firstborns are often born full term after only 6-7 months. 😂

I've no idea about Bill and Jane though

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 19

Watching Bringing Up Bates pandemic-era episodes, I watched Kelton telling Bobby how it was basically all down to God that their business was doing so well and I just saw fucking red. Whatever their idiocy, both guys are hard workers and Kelton at least got an education to help him run his business well. Those 2 were responsible for their success, full stop. For people with more knowledge of the fundy mindset, why do they think/frame things this way? Do they really think their own work and education had shit-all to do with their success? If so, why? Cringe as he is, I'm starting to like Evan in that at least he doesn't wank to Jesus nonstop on the show.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, medimus said:

People have been getting pregnant before they get married throughout time. There is a fun quote from a medical textbook from the 19th century along the lines of: Pregnancy lasts 9 months, however firstborns are often born full term after only 6-7 months. 😂

I’ve heard that. 

• Upvote 2

Wait, I just came to the end of BUB on UpTV (I got a free trial) and I feel like there's a whole season missing. Where's the run-up to Katie's wedding and the wedding itself? Did I miss something? I know I saw all this in the past. WTF. And is this related to the series being mysteriously cancelled?

• Upvote 2

Bill and Jane are conservative christians. Gil's brother is a christian and his daughters also are. They are mainstream and maybe quite progressive, though.

• Upvote 5

14 hours ago, Kiki03910 said:

Wait, I just came to the end of BUB on UpTV (I got a free trial) and I feel like there's a whole season missing. Where's the run-up to Katie's wedding and the wedding itself? Did I miss something? I know I saw all this in the past. WTF. And is this related to the series being mysteriously cancelled?

Tubi has a few of the lost episodes. Katie’s wedding planning and Lawton’s engagement are there. But not Katie’s actual wedding. There’s six episodes of Season 11 on there and it’s free. Www.tubi.com and then search Bringing Up Bates. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Tubi has a few of the lost episodes. Katie’s wedding planning and Lawton’s engagement are there. But not Katie’s actual wedding. There’s six episodes of Season 11 on there and it’s free. Www.tubi.com and then search Bringing Up Bates. 

Thanks much! I was afraid I was losing my mind lol.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Kiki03910 said:

Thanks much! I was afraid I was losing my mind lol.

There’s wayyy too much of Katie being a drama queen about the dress.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

To be fair, it was a panic mode situation. She had to pivot at the last minute. She's lucky to have Miss Renee on speed dial. 

• Upvote 6

Posted (edited)

Tubi worked, @Tdoc72, thank you! The weird thing is when I've done a search on the main page of my Roku, Tubi never shows up. I know UpTV is claiming inclusivity, so Tubi must be doing something to hide their episodes.

BUB has immortalized so many terrible style choices. Carlin as a blonde. Katie managing to look like she went from 12 years old to 45 seemingly overnight. Esther's Paris Hilton 2005 tan in the middle of the winter. No, I have no style myself. Yes, I didn't pick on any of the Bates boys. They have such universally yet individually bad hairstyles, it's not even worth commenting on.

TRIGGER WARNING: ED DISCUSSION

Spoiler

I will say I was absolutely shocked by Tiffany's appearance in the let's-suck-at-fishing episode. She looks emaciated far past the "she just has tiny bones" point. I felt uncomfortable just looking at her. The yelling about wanting a hamburger went over about as well as a lead balloon. I say this as someone who is fairly thin (BMI on the cusp of underweight) and who struggles with eating when super stressed. This woman's weight terrifies me.

Edited by Kiki03910
  • Upvote 5
  • Move Along 1

The Bates family is celebrating Addee’s graduation today. Is this from the one year program at Crown?

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JDuggs said:

The Bates family is celebrating Addee’s graduation today. Is this from the one year program at Crown?

No. From high school. A one-year bible study program from Crown is her future plans.

ETA: Though I think she has been kind of going to Crown already. I think that was where she's been taking ASL.

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 14-18-42 Carlin (Bates) Stewart (@carlinbates98) • Instagram photos and videos.png

Edited by dawn9476
  • Upvote 4
  • Thank You 9

14 hours ago, dawn9476 said:

No. From high school. A one-year bible study program from Crown is her future plans.

ETA: Though I think she has been kind of going to Crown already. I think that was where she's been taking ASL.

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 14-18-42 Carlin (Bates) Stewart (@carlinbates98) • Instagram photos and videos.png

She and Jeb were my favorite Bates littles. I feel really old.

• Upvote 4

On 5/13/2024 at 10:31 AM, HereticHick said:

Trump lovers think that all these things will only happen to "the other" people--liberals, Dems, illegals. They think Trump doesn't mean white conservative MAGA Christians. They are in for a big surprise should DT get elected again. 

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 3

21 hours ago, dawn9476 said:

It seems that it was a woman from church that was teaching her ASL, based on her graduation speech at church.

• Upvote 5

Favorite food chick-fil-a. Future plans one year Bible study. Favorite subject none at all. Poor girl. Someone has sucked whatever personality trait she was born with.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • I Agree 6

Posted (edited)

It did say Addee enjoys biology and ASL.  In an alternate universe she would be planning to attend a local state university this fall as a bio major or special education major with concentration in ASL, likely with a need-based scholarship or Pell Grant due to family size and family income.    

Sorry Addee.  Not in your wheelhouse.         

Edited by HeartsAFundie
  • Upvote 6
  • Sad 3

On 5/27/2024 at 2:17 AM, Kiki03910 said:

I just realized that Kelly Jo says "idear" and I haven't heard that kind of intrusive R outside of northern New England. Dialects and accents are fascinating!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linking_and_intrusive_R

I've noticed Zach does that as well. Not all of the kids do though. 

I associate that with southern Louisiana because Emeril (the chef) always said mayornaise. 

It is not common here in the midwest. 

• Upvote 3