IGNORED

Theobros, Patriarchs, Dominionists, Christofascists et al.

Howl

Almost nothing better than assholes getting in a fight with each other.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 3

The theme of the very manly men conferene for 2025:  Quien es mas macho? 

9 hours ago, clueliss said:

James River Church claims Driscoll was trying to destroy their church, wants him to repent

Well good luck with that.  Driscoll isn't the repenting type.  That's for beta men; he's clearly an alpha, in an "I'm a legend in my own mind" kinda way. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 4

Last I checked, Driscoll doesn't do repentance. Thatʻs for other people.

Edited by hoipolloi
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 2

It’s like people working for Trump complaining when he acts like Trump. 😂

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4

Maybe I've just spent too much of my life listening to driscoll non-ironically in my youth and then finding my way through deconstruction through ex-mormon youtube.... but it occurs to me that Driscoll's persistence that he's had visions about affairs and the like is strikingly similar to the Visions of Glory "Spencer." And once you make that connection, all of Driscoll's spiritual warfare nonsense and demon trials have the potential to be even more sinister.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

Apparently around half of the ~500 Acts29 churches in the US have not renewed their membership in the network. 

There were some high profile departures over the past 18 months including a church that was originally planted out of Matt Chandler's church. Some of the louder departing pastors mentioned a video A29 put out about being nice to gay people and other things they thought indicated a "leftward" drift (LOL). Others mentioned lack of financial transparency. IIIRC, each A29 church has a small annual fee and then they are asked to give 10% back to the network for additional church planting and development. 

This recent mass departure is related to the annual renewal commitment. It included something asking pastors to not besmirch the network or if they had problems to bring them to A29 instead of airing it out in public. Many of the churches interpreted this as an anti-disparagement clause and didn't like that.

What is hilarious to me is that every single A29 pastor I've met has wanted to run their church the way A29 runs at that level. They don't want broad accountability, they want a few hand-picked dudes as elders. They don't want to have financial accountability or share decision making with the congregation. When someone says they were hurt by the church or wants to share their story when they leave, A29 pastors freak out and talk about how church family should work through things internally and give each other grace and the benefit of the doubt and not assume the worst about their intentions. 

One of the earlier departures is a church pastored by Chase Davis. He now does a podcast called Full Proof Theology. I don't have the stomach to listen, but he regularly interviews people like Doug Wilson. 

Institutional complementarianism always leads to misogyny and patriarchy. 

• Thank You 4

2 hours ago, theotherelise said:

When someone says they were hurt by the church or wants to share their story when they leave, A29 pastors freak out and talk about how church family should work through things internally and give each other grace and the benefit of the doubt and not assume the worst about their intentions. 

The verses in Matthew 18:15-17 sure cover a multitude of sins, don't they?

Hoping that the breakdown & fragmentation of Acts29 is permanent. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

Cait West's book, Rift comes out tomorrow. The audiobook on Audible is already available. She grew up as a stay-at-home-daughter in Kevin Swanson's church (I think.)

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1