IGNORED

Theobros, Patriarchs, Dominionists, Christofascists et al.

Howl

Well but if they're getting their mail delivered in a timely manner it has to be magic. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 10

currently listening to a talk from a pastor of my denomination who is blasting Dominionism, Evangelicals, how they don't seem to understand the Enlightenment era thought of the US Constitution and no clue what the first amendment says. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

11 hours ago, Columbia said:

They never cease to surprise, but they’re always horrifying. 

https://julieroys.com/macarthur-shamed-excommunicated-mother-take-back-child-abuser/

I cannot even choose an emoji for this. I clearly do not downvote @Columbia for posting it, and thanks for posting. I equally clearly, in the strongest possible way, downvote everything about GCC's handling of the entire saga. Actually, when I thought I could no longer be horrified nor surprised by some of these "leaders" (scare quotes intentional), I find myself shocked at the depth of their depravity (word choice intentional).

My personal belief is that, even though some of these behaviors seem to be without accountability in this life, MacArthur and his cohorts will give an account in their next life.

FTR I do not judge the truth or falsehood of others' claims to be Christians. I certainly can judge whether their actions follow what I believe to be the teachings of Jesus.

• Upvote 8
  • Thank You 1

20 hours ago, Columbia said:

They never cease to surprise, but they’re always horrifying. 

https://julieroys.com/macarthur-shamed-excommunicated-mother-take-back-child-abuser/

Yeah, I read that article over lunch and was just thoroughly disgusted. If you ever wanted an example of why nouthetic ("Biblical") counseling is not just ineffective, but actually harmful and dangerous (especially to abuse victims), that article oughta do it. He said these things about Eileen and David after David confessed he'd been abusing the kids:

Eileen testified in court that as a condition of receiving this help from GCC, the church required her and David to attend marriage counseling with Carey Hardy.

Hardy has an M.Div. from The Master’s Seminary but no professional counseling credentials.

[...] in an official court declaration in 2002 concerning Eileen’s legal separation from David Gray, Hardy stated: “I am of the opinion that Eileen simply doesn’t like David . . . and is using what she alleges to have happened with the children as leverage to put David out of their lives.”

Hardy accused Eileen in the declaration of having “a tendency to exaggerate” and exercising “faulty logic and irrational thinking.”

In contrast, Hardy said David Gray was “fairly laid back” and that after several monitored visits between David and his children, “our church concluded that monitors were not necessary.”

Piece of shit!

• Upvote 8
  • Disgust 1

Bleeeech.  "Your steadfast faithfulness in the midst of such a difficult trial..."

I'm confused! I thought he sexually molested and beat his children and that's why he was in prison.  Was he was innocent and thrown to the lions or something?

Gentle reader,  you may have already realized I'm not confused.  It's the unassailable christo-patriarchy mindset at work.  Nevermind the horrible evil he did to his wife and children! The guy's got a dick, he's saving men for Jesus, so all good, right?  This is the thought process, then and now. 

• Upvote 10
  • WTF 1

7 hours ago, forgetmenow said:

I think I posted this in the past (if it was in this thread, I apologize for the repetition), but this is a good place to revisit the time that MacArthur and Grace Community Church referred to David Gray as a prison missionary when he was incarcerated after his conviction.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.93f4759fbdccd6d31574ef8bae4739f4.png

image.thumb.png.202bcb9a9505e81800e4ed7f9dd53755.png

Ooooh, I remember hearing vaguely about that but I never realized these were the same case. Thanks for bringing that up. 

On 3/1/2022 at 8:33 AM, Howl said:

Spouse: Sharon Rushdooney, so yeah, quite the pedigree. 

Yeah, here's some info about the split between North and Rushdoony.

I met Mark Rushdoony a few years back when he was the keynote speaker at a little conference in Australia, back when I didn't know better.

https://www.thearda.com/timeline/movements/movement_27.asp

By the 1980s, the work of Rushdoony, North, Bahnsen, and many other Reconstructionists influenced a number of national ministries and generated significant controversy in religious and secular circles. As awareness and uneasiness with the movement grew, Reconstructionism split into two more or less distinct groups: one centered on Rushdoony in Vallecito, California, and another concentrated in the Westminster Presbyterian Church, a Tyler, Texas-based congregation led, in part, by Rushdoony’s son-in-law Gary North. North was a popular expositor of Rushdoony’s Reconstructionist project who melded his father-in-law’s theological ideas with a free-market economic model.

The Tyler branch of Reconstructionism tended to downplay the familial aspect of Reconstructionism in order to focus on the role of the church in the lives of reconstructed Christians. North founded the Institute of Christian Economics (ICE) to publish works by himself, Bahnsen, David Chilton, James Jordan, and many others. The Tyler works tended to emphasize practical action, economic ideas, church power, and disaster preparedness. It also developed the dominion mandate in a more aggressive and openly political manner than Rushdoony’s branch of the movement. Tensions between North and Rushdoony eventually led to a split between the two forms of Reconstructionism. Personal and theological disagreements led North and Rushdoony to part ways and the two never spoke to one another again after 1981.

While the division took a personal toll on the parties involved, it also led to an explosion of Reconstructionist literature from both camps that helped popularize the movement. While never a large movement, Reconstructionism’s prolific literary output and its call for a more aggressive and engaged form of evangelicalism generated controversy far out of proportion to the size of the movement. In the domains of educational reform and political engagement, Reconstructionism prompted a series of intense controversies and remains a potent if tiny force in conservative U.S. Christianity. Educationally, the movement helped establish homeschooling as a right of every parent in the United State. Politically, the movement helped spur some religious conservatives to action and introduced the "dominion mandate" to a generation of activists.

• Thank You 2

This is a major rabbit hole (50 twitter posts) and a long read, but it's a fascinating dive into 7 Mountain Dominionism, UiP (United in Purpose) and the Ziklag Group.  Never heard of the Ziklag Group? Me neither, but now you have.  The Ziklag Group is a large consortium of extremely high wealth Christians who are putting their wealth to work being influential in making America an Evangelical nation!   Who's a 7 Mountain Dominionist? Why Ted Cruz and his dad, maybe Mike Lindell, Mike Flynn's mixing it up in there, David Barton and lots and lots of other people."

"As recorded in the Hebrew Bible, [King] David settled at Ziklag for 14 months under the patronage of the Philistine King Achish of Gat, with 600 of his men and their families, and used it as a base to raid neighboring peoples."

Here's the focus of the thread outlined in the first tweet:   America's secret. Ultra-wealthy families--as part of the Ziklag Group--appear to be being directed to fund anti-democratic activities by United in Purpose, a Christian Dominionist org. General Flynn & Mike Lindell are involved. As may be fraudits & trucker convoy /1

Edited by Howl
  • WTF 3
  • Thank You 5

4 hours ago, Columbia said:

And DARVO was his name-o. 

OMG, how terrible. How DARE Julie Roys derail the sacred Shepherds' Conference.

Just when you think these fucking assholes can't be any worse...

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of background on the link below.  There has been some explosive news over the past few days about Ginni Thomas, wife of Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas, and her completely unhinged texts to Mark Meadows.  Ginni Thomas has always been reich wing, Tea Party (remember them?) but is far into the weeds of QAnon conspiracy quackery, Kraken "Stop the Steal" wing nuttery and was texting this idiocy to Mark Meadows (Trump's chief of staff) post election and on to Jan. 6th.  

I came across a link to this article on The Third Rail, "a weekly newsletter about the Constitution, culture, and the disputes that divide America" via The Atlantic

The Worst Ginni Thomas Text Wasn’t From Ginni Thomas  Mark Meadows and the dangerous religious zeal of “Stop the Steal”

Excerpts:  

But the Ginni Thomas texts were not the most alarming aspect of Woodward and Costa’s story. There was a text in the chain that disturbed me more than anything Ginni Thomas wrote. It came from Meadows, and here’s what it said:

"This is a fight of good versus evil . . . Evil always looks like the victor until the King of Kings triumphs. Do not grow weary in well doing. The fight continues. I have staked my career on it. Well at least my time in DC on it."

...One of the most dangerous aspects of the effort to overturn the election was the extent to which it was an explicitly religious cause...They didn’t just approach the election fight with religious zeal; they approached it with an absolute conviction that they enjoyed divine sanction. The merger of faith and partisanship was damaging enough, but the merger of faith with lawlessness and even outright delusion represented a profound perversion of the role of the Christian in the public square.

It strikes that many of the vile mega and not-so-mega pastors that we follow have certitude that their way is the right way, they can and should be controlling the lives of their followers and, especially, the bodies of women.  It should be no surprise that they extend that to how our country should be governed -- by them, of course.  

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 1

Incredible that they align their religion of mercy, repentance and a moral code  with a man who has shown no mercy, remorse nor sense of morality.  I guess “the end justifies the strange bedfellows” applies here. And yes, I cobbled that together from “the end justifies the means” and “politics makes strange bedfellows.”  

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 1

John MacArthur is one evil fucking bastard.  Cold. As. Ice.  He's always struck me as the type who would sell his grandmother's soul if it meant more power for him.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

Matt Chandler (president of Acts29) sounds a little nervous. Someone in his congregation is asking too many questions. 

Yup, the youtube you linked is blowing up on twitter. 

Lauren Chastain posted the video in a tweet. Some responses: 

@Howitallvegan1 Replying to @laurchastain22: "Honest question, why do so many Acts 29 Pastors have this method of delivery? Insult , cajole, self deprecate, joke, scold, center themselves, repeat. Is it something they teach them?"

and 

@bobby_griffith Replying to @laurchastain22:  "Lol. The dude who wouldn’t acknowledge Driscoll was removed from A29 at any moment at the bootcamp Village hosted THE MORNING AFTER DRISCOLL WAS BOOTED.  That was the moment I realized A29 bros were just as Fundy as Bob Jones, Carl McIntire, et al. Protect friends at all costs at the expense of parishioners. Keep everything quiet."

Edited by Howl

I genuinely think this is related to the Bodies Behind the Bus podcast. I posted it in another thread because I knew two couples who were going to be going on the show. They just had three episodes about my former church (Acts 29). We even had an elder reach out to us like a mob boss trying to feel out if we were on their side or not. Gross.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, theotherelise said:

I genuinely think this is related to the Bodies Behind the Bus podcast. I posted it in another thread because I knew two couples who were going to be going on the show. They just had three episodes about my former church (Acts 29). We even had an elder reach out to us like a mob boss trying to feel out if we were on their side or not. Gross.

I wondered if they might have someone lined up for the podcast from Matt’s church and maybe reached out to himself or the church for a statement. That podcast was the first thing I thought of when I heard Matt’s rant. 

5 hours ago, theotherelise said:

They just had three episodes about my former church (Acts 29).

I listened to those episodes. Is Pastor Andy or whatever his real name is still in the ministry? Is that church still in existence?

Regardless, I hope that you in a better situation for church, if you're still going because the couplesʻ accounts sounded awful.

3 hours ago, Howl said:

DARVO = deny, attack, and reverse victim and offender

Is that In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins playing as he speaks?  

"The sheep bite, man." I can't imagine what that is like for some in the audience to listen to. Such a messed up metaphor. 

42 minutes ago, noseybutt said:

"The sheep bite, man." I can't imagine what that is like for some in the audience to listen to. Such a messed up metaphor. 

It’s a good reason to stay quiet and never voice your concerns, because you just learned how church leadership will treat you. 

• Upvote 2