IGNORED

Counting On Season Two - Part 6

Coconut Flan

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised but daughter's pediatrician was fine with one beer or glass of wine begun as the feeding was ending or immediately after once the infant was going over 2 hours between feedings.  I had some raised eyebrows at first but the kids never seemed to have any effect on them and of course it was not an every day event. 

I have no doubt that an occasional beer or glass of wine is okay. But I think I have seen too many FAS babies to jump onboard with that. I would never say anything to a mom who wanted a glass of wine, but for me, I couldn't do it. IMO the risk outweighs the benefit. But I am old and jaded.

You wouldn't have caught me doing it either but it seems no harm has come to the grandkids from possibly one glass of wine of month.  I did have to defrost breast milk and give a bottle once when the kid didn't sleep the expected time.  So there is that hazard.

17 hours ago, Chickenbutt said:

I have no doubt that an occasional beer or glass of wine is okay. But I think I have seen too many FAS babies to jump onboard with that. I would never say anything to a mom who wanted a glass of wine, but for me, I couldn't do it. IMO the risk outweighs the benefit. But I am old and jaded.

FAS only occurs when a mother drinks during pregnancy though. There are some risks associated with a baby eating tainted breast milk, but they won't suddenly develop FAS as a result.

And just to be clear, I haven't had a drop of alcohol since January - a full month before I got pregnant the first time and over three months before getting pregnant following my miscarriage. I've completely avoided stuff cooked or baked with alcohol, including the leftover wedding cake my mom saved for us to have on our first anniversary. Because I'm that neurotic. :pb_lol:

(I know no one was asking, but the conversation came up because of me so I wanted to clarify.)

Yep, I know about FAS only occurring during pregnancy. I guess my post wasn't clear. IMO alcohol + baby (pregnancy or breastfeeding) do not go together in any way, shape or form. Like I said, I have seen too many FAS babies and cannot wrap my mind around any amount of alcohol being safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding. YMMV.

(lol...I really like reading your posts)

15 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

Yep, I know about FAS only occurring during pregnancy. I guess my post wasn't clear. IMO alcohol + baby (pregnancy or breastfeeding) do not go together in any way, shape or form. Like I said, I have seen too many FAS babies and cannot wrap my mind around any amount of alcohol being safe during pregnancy or breastfeeding. YMMV.

(lol...I really like reading your posts)

Gotcha! :)

I don't think the risks of drinking while breastfeeding are very well defined to be honest. It's not like they can do a controlled study on it where they have mothers drink and then feed their babies. Much like they can't know whether a lot of medications are safe for expectant or nursing mothers. They've found that alcohol does leave your milk after a certain amount of time and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a recommendation that you wait until baby is a bit older to have a drink. 

Knowing me, I'll be too neurotic to actually try it until Baby isn't breastfeeding anymore (if I'm able to breastfeed). :pb_lol:

In 1970, my doc told me to have a glass of blackberry  brandy before bed b/c I couldn't sleep. He said it was "better than pills."

That seems to me like the sensible thing to do.

For full disclosure, I don't drink any alcohol ever. I have not had a drink since a party with Boones' Farm Strawberry Hill in high school, over 40 years ago. My father is an alcoholic. Having worked in the ER for 20+ years, I have yet to see any redeeming value in alcohol. So my opinions may be a little skewed. I know, I am a weirdo. My family tells me all the time.

20 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

In 1970, my doc told me to have a glass of blackberry  brandy before bed b/c I couldn't sleep. He said it was "better than pills."

I may try that tonight.  In a crazy turn in my life, I finally reached the point of having to discuss it with my doctor.  He thought sleeping pills were a much better solution than Xanax and would last all night.  The insurance company, in their wisdom, would only give me 2 months of sleeping pills, but seem to have no limit on the amount of Xanax that I can consume.   They think I can solve my sleep problem (due mainly it seems to barking dogs and worry over my parents) can be solved by relaxation exercises and proper "sleep hygiene" as if those weren't the first things I tried. 

25 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

The only major issue is that alcohol before bed reduces REM sleep, which can sleep that isn't as restful.

That being said, I'd rather have subpar sleep than no sleep at all, so I'll usually have a drink if I can't fall asleep after a couple of ours. I agree with your doctor on the better than pills sentiment, I've heard too many stories about them to consider that as a viable option. 

Welcome to motherhood, @VelociRapture. Everyone has an opinion about everything you do (or don't do), and no matter what someone will think you are wrong.

The words "its not worth the risk" make sense for many individual"risks." But soon you'll realize (if you havet already jusy being pregnant) that culture, old wives tales, new research, and trends have you so boxed in with potential risks that you can't move. Add that to the (sometime crippling) anxiety of being totally responsoble for a tiny human, and you start to second guess yourself. Only you can decide what is right for you and your baby.

As long as you do your best, your baby will be fine. Hell, all of j'chelle's kids are still alive. How hard can it be? 

22 hours ago, BackseatMom said:

I'm jumping ahead, so forgive me if this has been covered. I just have to share the good news with you - you can drink and breastfeed!

Alcohol leaves your breastmilk just like your blood. If you don't feel drunk, you are fine to breastfeed. Like, if you are (really) fine to drive, your milk is fine. So, I used to breastfeed, put the baby down for bed, then have a glass or two of wine right then. That way I had a few hours before he woke up. Never had a problem.

Kellymom is a great source for alll things breastfeeding: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/

Thank goodness for that. My third baby was a rough one; I'd have walked around half drunk that first year if I could. But, I was responsible and would have a drink at night calm my nerves enough to mellow out and get some sleep. 

Back in 1978 with Wolf 1, it was supposed to be OK to have a glass of wine, occasionally with dinner while pregnant. After the birth, the hospital gave Mr. Wolf and me a private dinner with baby in the nursery. Wine was offered. I was breast feeding. Throwing up for the first trimester, and an emergency c section, didn't make me want to drink anyway.

Four years later with Wolf 2, we were cautioned not to drink, implying that if I even smelled alcohol, my baby would suffer horribly. OK, I exaggerated.

Going home with Wolf 1, I was told to hold her in my arms in the car. (I didn't). Wolf 2 wasn't allowed to leave without a car seat

I guess what I'm saying is that things change, and when we're pregnant, we do the best we can based on the current research.

1 hour ago, BackseatMom said:

Welcome to motherhood, @VelociRapture. Everyone has an opinion about everything you do (or don't do), and no matter what someone will think you are wrong.

The words "its not worth the risk" make sense for many individual"risks." But soon you'll realize (if you havet already jusy being pregnant) that culture, old wives tales, new research, and trends have you so boxed in with potential risks that you can't move. Add that to the (sometime crippling) anxiety of being totally responsoble for a tiny human, and you start to second guess yourself. Only you can decide what is right for you and your baby.

As long as you do your best, your baby will be fine. Hell, all of j'chelle's kids are still alive. How hard can it be? 

I just laughed so fucking hard at this. I need to have this stitched on a pillow or something. New life motto!!! :pb_lol:

I usually have a couple bottles of wine around the house, but laid off for awhile when my husband and I started TTC earlier this year. Now that we've been trying for awhile and it appears getting pregnant isn't going to happen quickly (and possibly may not happen without some help, depending on the results of my doctor appointment next week), I've started stocking up again. Because, if my body apparently is broken,  I'm at least going to take advantage of it!

Counting on - "Courting Jinger" - AKA - Jinger's memorial - Part 1

Michelle TH from a million years ago - Jinger loves life

Shots of JInger's various facial expressions.

Jana - JInger is left handed

Jessa - She likes fast paced

Michelle - She can be very dramatic. Its cute to watch her personality as she goes into situations that are a stretch

Flashback - Boob takes Jinger out to drive a standard.  Famy and Jinger get in the car (boob in the middle).  Its a car off of smuggles' lot (writing still on the front.  They drive on the grass on the front lawn.

Boob - Jinger was kinda scared of driving a standard.  She had to push on the clutch and the shifter

JInger - It was hard because Amy scared me so bad.  (Its amazing - no makeup and not orange!)  

They continue to drive all over the lawn.

Now Jinger goes to the driving test (she's wearing the same shirt).  Boob wont shut up giving her driving pointers.  They get to the place to take the test and inspector makes her turn the signals and blow the horn.  

In the car during the test - she is speeding... 

TH - the speed limits were the hardest part because they were so slow.  She looks SO YOUNG (probably because she was 15)

Back to present

Now they're driving bumper cars with jeremy (this season).  They didnt change anything about what they're airing, even the talking heads are identical to the episode during the courtship.

2 minutes ago, Lillybee said:

So when are we going to get scenes of Jinger's fabulous pacing skills. I am holding my breath.

this is so boring and stupid i am watching primary colors

no need to watch 

Buzzard gets a brownie 

Counting on - "Remembering when Jinger had promise" - Part 2

Jinger tells us that she's been into photography since she was 14.  We watch the flashback of her taking engagement pics of benessa. 

Apparently she forgot the battery.  Jessa says "we need the person in the plaid shirt to go get the battery."  (Jinger is wearing the plaid shirt).  Joy is sent back to get the battery.  JInger says they're getting the pictures free so thats the bonus.  

JOhannah - its funny to see Ben andJessa when they're in love

For Jill and Derrick they had issues.

Shots of their photo shoot... bugs, cars...

Back to Benessa.  

It was easier beause it was off the orad and she wasnt in the street.

Flashback to Benessa taking spurge to the TTH for a photoshoot.

Jessa - Jinger has been int erested in photography since she was 15 and thought it was fun.  She's talented. We've tried to pay her but she wont take money.  I said you take pictures andi"ll matchmake you.

They take shots of spurge and comment that he's pooping.

Now he's awake and they take the family pic.   They take him outside for more pics.  A cat is removed.

Next up - a photo session at "a glass chapel" with Sierra. She's introduced as the family's party planner.

Flashbacks of all the things that Sierra helped with.  Sierra tells us how she's been blessed to help.

JInger - We've helped iwth the kids. In the middle of a photo session its different.

Jinger stands on a pew to take pics. Jessa squeaks toys.

Sierra and Mark are happy iwth the pics.  The baby says "have a blessed day" when they leave.

Present time

Jinger tells us they've been courting for 3 weeks and Jeremy works as a pastor in laredo.  She has the hammered nail decoration as a gift.  She explains it took a long time because she couldnt find a hammer (da fuq?) so she used a wrench.

In laredo she comes down the escalator flaunting her heathen knees... hussie.  They side hug.  He says he missed her and gives her flowers

Jeremy - everything I desired in a wife I see in jinger.

JInger - any time you have first impressions you dont want to say anything wrong. 

JInger still doesnt read the card on the flowres - its typed and a lot of writing.

Jeremy - its good for her to see where I minister becasue if we get married she's coming here.

She gives him the nail art. He says its incredible and side hugs her.

(pop up says watch jinger and jeremy's wedding next tuesday)

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

She explains it took a long time because she couldnt find a hammer (da fuq?) so she used a wrench.

Thank you so much Buzzard for taking one for the team!

Couldn't find a hammer? FFS... used a Wrench - double FFS.

Hammer probably lost in Boob's hoarding warehouse. For someone who used to be destitute, he's got a lot of stuff.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived