IGNORED

Counting On Season Two - Part 6

Coconut Flan

All this episode did is make me sad that Jinger couldn't get a part time job working in a coffee shop like any normal teenager, and take a photography course after high school. 

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

When they get to Hanny, there will be lots of footage from the THs with Jackson.

Please FSM make the Duggars go away before that.:pray:

There is footage from the time DQ's belly popped out until the present fir everyone from Jackson down to Josie. Including videotaped ultrasounds with Dr. Sarver. Please FFS take these assholes off the air before any more of them get married. Sorry, I'm in a mood today. 

They will definetly keep getting sadder if this shitshow continues.

"Hannie...hmm...that's a girls name, so... She is godly and sweet and such a blessing."

"Jackson...that's got to be one of the boys..."

@titerlitury Sadly I think you're 1000% better than the TLC producers, so t the real thing would be anywhere near as interesting!

@BackseatMom I think you're on the right track...

Here's the big Q: would they dare show poor little Jenni talking about wanting to be a vet, or a doctor, and the way all her ambition was beaten and harassed out of her?  Or by that time would she just be shown babysitting her 100 cousins, with any spark long gone?

It must be irresistible for a fundie girl to be in a courtship.  To have the undivided attention from a man and the much hoped for approval from your emotionally distant parents.  Wow!  How could a girl-woman resist??

So the concession speech had something in it that gave me goosebumps.  I want to take this quote and somehow get it to Jana, Joy, and the lost girls. 

"And to all the little girls who are watching this - never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams." - Hillary Clinton. 

I just want them to claim their birthright; becoming bright, independent women.  

It must be irresistible for a fundie girl to be in a courtship.  To have the undivided attention from a man and the much hoped for approval from your emotionally distant parents.  Wow!  How could a girl-woman resist??

It's a sick, sad cycle. I really hope little by little, they are more aware of the (real) world around them and make choices for themselves. These kids could've grown up to do anything, but instead they're (seemingly) forced to live the paths chosen for them.

Jill could've been an actual nurse, or even a doctor! Josh, well, he may not have done what he did, he likely wouldn't have married his first girlfriend and popped out 4 kids, he could've been a lawyer, like he said he wanted to be. Johanna has spoken of wanting to be a veterinarian, there is still time for that to come to fruition, but with their lives the way they are, I am sure she will be lead down a different path as her calling. (I won't speak of the kids and their assumed interests and desires, only what they've actually said.)

Their parents are completely to blame for that. Once the kids turn 18 they're free to leave, but that would mean turning their backs on everyone and everything they've ever known so how do they get out of the house while still remaining in an ignorant and comfortable position? Court someone and hope for the best.

I think if TLC hadn't shown up with money, someone, at some point, would have grown some ambition and left if only to have a better life for themselves as soon as they realized they had been given no real tools to earn any kind of sustainable living. But as long as there's even the hope of TLC money coming in, they're gonna stick around to make sure they get in on it.

By my count, including next week's episode, Counting On will have been on 13 weeks. I don't recall any time a TLC show went on that long.  Isn't 4 to 6 weeks the norm? Is there any doubt with regard to the unprecedented support TLC gives to this family?  The ratings aren't that stellar so you wonder why Discovery Communications goes along with it.

I'll maybe end up sounding like a conspiracy theorist here, but JimBob is a sly business man - there's either something in their contracts from 19KaC preventing them to cancel (I can't imagine what, but still . . . )

OR TLC was aware of somethingggggg going on in that house, and though I doubt JimBob would openly threaten anybody ("Keep us on, or I'll the world you were complicit" blahblahblah), TLC is worried what would happen if they cancel it??  I can't imagine one reality family having control over a network, but with the secrets this family has managed to pull off, I also don't want to dismiss the thought outright.  I just feel like it's something more than just a TLC decision of - "We like the Duggars, so we're keeping them on." (not with the protests, boycotts, negative press, ratings and lack of ads).

45 minutes ago, Fun Undies said:

I'll maybe end up sounding like a conspiracy theorist here, but JimBob is a sly business man - there's either something in their contracts from 19KaC preventing them to cancel (I can't imagine what, but still . . . )

OR TLC was aware of somethingggggg going on in that house, and though I doubt JimBob would openly threaten anybody ("Keep us on, or I'll the world you were complicit" blahblahblah), TLC is worried what would happen if they cancel it??  I can't imagine one reality family having control over a network, but with the secrets this family has managed to pull off, I also don't want to dismiss the thought outright.  I just feel like it's something more than just a TLC decision of - "We like the Duggars, so we're keeping them on." (not with the protests, boycotts, negative press, ratings and lack of ads).

Right?

Are they really making that much money off the Duggars that they can justify keeping the show?  I don't understand keeping the show going even if it's a wash.  Perhaps TLC just likes to be controversial.  Look at their other crap shows.  Exploitation is their game.

2 hours ago, Becket70 said:

By my count, including next week's episode, Counting On will have been on 13 weeks. I don't recall any time a TLC show went on that long.

A lot of their shows have gone on for more than 13 weeks especially in the not long ago past.  They are tending to shorter seasons of late, but it is still not truly exceptional.

TLC keeps the Duggars on for the viewers.  No, Jim Bob can't have anything scandalous enough on the network to force them to film and show the Duggars.  It's a behemoth with great lawyers vs an anthill.  The Duggars bring up TLC's average viewers so they can charge more for the block advertising.  It's all a pure numbers game. 

On 11/9/2016 at 11:08 PM, actuallyjessica said:

Their parents are completely to blame for that. Once the kids turn 18 they're free to leave, but that would mean turning their backs on everyone and everything they've ever known so how do they get out of the house while still remaining in an ignorant and comfortable position?

And can you imagine wanting to be a doctor or a lawyer and having 18 years of Duggar education to overcome?? Of course people have done it, but the amount of determination and innate intelligence that would take would be massive.

2 hours ago, twinmama said:

And can you imagine wanting to be a doctor or a lawyer and having 18 years of Duggar education to overcome?? Of course people have done it, but the amount of determination and innate intelligence that would take would be massive.

Yeah, Hannie probably can't be a vet at this point, but if she broke out she could likely volunteer at an animal shelter or work at a doggy daycare or pet store.

OK, here's my Q about Counting On.

Yes, this season was 13 episodes, BUT from the recaps (thank you @Buzzard!) there was so much re-run footage in it - both re-running from the previous series, and, bafflingly, re-running things that had only been aired a few weeks before - so I'm wondering how much actual filming they did, and how much this impacted on the costs of the show.

I've always wondered if they pay the adults separately, or into one JB account - but what about Derrick and Ben, and now Jeremy?  Do they start with the same budget for appearance fees, and just split it different ways, or do the husbands get the cash from JB?

But what I was really wondering if they filmed less to put more of the budget into Jinger's wedding, as it seemed so much more of a 'production' than the other Duggar weddings, and that's why there's so much re-running?  Or am I giving them too much credit, and TLC are just lazy, or doing as little work as they can get away with?

ETA Had it been me, and I was a TLC Producer going to do re-runs, I would at least have invited fans to vote for their favourite Jinger moments etc, for each re-run based episode.  That would give an idea of things that were memorable, and engage the audience.  But I can't imagine even leghumpers are happy with this season...

3 hours ago, Arix said:

Yeah, Hannie probably can't be a vet at this point, but if she broke out she could likely volunteer at an animal shelter or work at a doggy daycare or pet store.

I wouldn't say she couldn't become a vet. She couldn't do it in the same time frame as someone who has been to regular school or gotten an adequate education, but she COULD if she wanted to when she was older. Women have raised their children then gotten educations and had careers before, a Duggar could do it too. Even faster if they skipped the kids and started educating themselves correctly after flying the coop at 18.

They would have to be crazy motivated though. They'd likely have no family support; and they'd be working to put themselves through school (I assume if they really flew the coop they'd get no money from the TLC show). 

I thought it was Jenni who wanted to be a vet. Not that it matters, whoever it is will have a long hard road to succeed. Also, all kids change their minds a lot as they grow. Josh wanted to be a lawyer, but he was only about 14 at the time.

Didn't one of the kids say they want to cure cancer in one of the early specials, or am I imaging that? It's just sad that having so many kids, some with big dreams who could make a real difference in their community, are stunted and unable to reach their potential/dreams. And with that many kids, damn you could say your kids combined have done a lot of good in the world. But nope, can't have your kid sit next to someone in college with pink hair and then go on to medical school and learn anatomy/look at naked people and pictures.

15 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

TLC keeps the Duggars on for the viewers.  No, Jim Bob can't have anything scandalous enough on the network to force them to film and show the Duggars.  It's a behemoth with great lawyers vs an anthill.  The Duggars bring up TLC's average viewers so they can charge more for the block advertising.  It's all a pure numbers game. 

And this is why TLC also doesn't show the hypocirsy.  On their other shows, they were always willing to point out contradictions.  Watch reruns of Toddlers and Tiaras:  they were perfectly happy to capture the stage moms on open mics shaming their daughters as they poured caffeine and sugar down their throats.  The popularity of Jon and Kate WAS showing the anger and the manipulation.  But, they've never really gone there with the Duggars.

Who owns TLC?  What other networks and businesses are under the corporate umbrella?

I am too far behind to go back and read everything the last few days so I apologize if repeating comments here.

But I actually didn't hate the all about Jinger Episode.  The scene with her learning to drive a stickshift with Amy showed the most natural laughter and spontaneous interaction between any Duggar that I have seen throughout the whole show.  Even Jim-bob seemed less robotic and more like a normal dad.  They were silly and yes,  a bit annoying to watch for a long time, but though the situation was a set up obviously for the show, the interactions inside the car seemed very natural and reminded me of the many times my kids and I would be silly and cracking each other up.  To the outside observer we were annoying and over the top, but we were in the moment, having a great time. 

Jinger at the coffee shop was cute too.  Too bad they couldn't have had a part time job there, even if just a weekly stint for charity to help the orphans.  Imagine how much just that little bit of exposure once a week could have done to open their minds?  Even Jessa seemed less stiff and stand-offish than usual in that setting.  Though Jinger would have had to be put on rations for her coffee consumption before she put herself into some sort of  cardiac arrhythmia. 

I hope that Jinger is able to show this silly and expressive side of herself to Jeremy. 

I finally caught up on this stupid-ass show. I deleted that wedding recap show because I've seen enough of Jill and Jessa's weddings. The "after the show" episode was pretty dumb too. A clip show from the current season? What is the point.

Though I did like Jinger's reaction when asked if they would start a family right away. Well, mainly the face she made when Derick (*cough*dipshit*cough*) "predicted" she'd be pregnant by the end of the year. Hey, Derick...your sister-in-law's uterus is really none of your fucking business! What a little skeeze. He is really bugging me way more than he used to. A little JB in the making, for sure, with remarks like that.

Oh, and the episode where Jinger met Jeremy's grandparents. I cringed so much when the cute little Grandpa went in for a hug and maybe a kiss on the check or forehead and was totally denied. So awkward.

4 hours ago, calimojo said:

I am too far behind to go back and read everything the last few days so I apologize if repeating comments here.

But I actually didn't hate the all about Jinger Episode.  The scene with her learning to drive a stickshift with Amy showed the most natural laughter and spontaneous interaction between any Duggar that I have seen throughout the whole show.  Even Jim-bob seemed less robotic and more like a normal dad.  They were silly and yes,  a bit annoying to watch for a long time, but though the situation was a set up obviously for the show, the interactions inside the car seemed very natural and reminded me of the many times my kids and I would be silly and cracking each other up.  To the outside observer we were annoying and over the top, but we were in the moment, having a great time. 

Jinger at the coffee shop was cute too.  Too bad they couldn't have had a part time job there, even if just a weekly stint for charity to help the orphans.  Imagine how much just that little bit of exposure once a week could have done to open their minds?  Even Jessa seemed less stiff and stand-offish than usual in that setting.  Though Jinger would have had to be put on rations for her coffee consumption before she put herself into some sort of  cardiac arrhythmia. 

I hope that Jinger is able to show this silly and expressive side of herself to Jeremy. 

I completely agree!! I started watching 19 kids late in the game so I had NEVER seen this side of Jinger. I thought she had zero personality and wondered why anyone would ever think she could be freed. But in the driving scene she had so much personality ...I was pleasantly shocked. Where oh where did that girl go? She's so boring now.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived