IGNORED

Joe and Kendra 17: How Many and Counting?

Coconut Flan

I’ve been using a guided breathing/meditation app with rain sounds in the background (while lying in bed, not sitting). Focusing on breathing helps turn off my mind and lets me relax enough to fall asleep. Often I’m out before the 10 minute session ends. I set a timer in the app so the rain sounds turn off after 1-2 hours.

• Upvote 9
  • Love 1

The "Sleep With Me" podcast has helped me a lot. It did take 3 or 4 times before it really kicked in, but since then, it's been gold. Not so boring that your mind wanders off to something else, but plenty boring enough that you don't really listen.

• Thank You 1

On 3/12/2023 at 6:22 AM, viii said:

Am I the only one who makes up completely unrealistic scenarios until I fall asleep?! 

Yeah the time in bed before drifting off is my happy place where I get to imagine myself winning a major literary award or buying a house or interviewing my heroes. Daydreaming until it leads to actual dreaming.

This reminds me of a women's bible study group I was in once and one of the women talked about how she used to daydream about marrying her celebrity crush before falling asleep, but then she found herself looking forward to that time so much she didn't want to be up with her husband or having sex with him. Other women were like "that's adultery, Jesus said if you even look at someone other than your spouse with lust you've cheated on them" and she said that when she realised it was impacting her marriage she stopped it and now she designs dresses in her mind to get herself to sleep instead. In hindsight, I think I'd consider a desire to escape my marriage into a completely unrealistic fantasy a sign that there might be something lacking in the relationship, not a problem with the fantasy. But that kind of thinking doesn't uphold the patriarchy, so.

• Upvote 14
  • Sad 4
  • I Agree 1

My husband crafted a made-up dream world in his head that he uses to get to sleep.  He has build this whole world but only imagines boring things about it to put himself to sleep.  One time he told me he was going to think about road structure (civil engineering stuff) that night.  It's interesting how many different techniques people use for this sort of thing!

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

On 3/11/2023 at 11:25 AM, Bobology said:

Count me in as another alphabet or list person during the night. Foods, plants, animals, cities/towns in my state, out of state but in the USA, other countries, geographical landmarks, and yes, Duggars and Bates. As I start to drift off I'll forget where I was in the alphabet, stumble around with that and then fall back asleep. Last night I used @GuineaPigCourtship's alphabetized girl and boy names without using typical unisex names. I made it through z and promptly nodded off. Today I need to look up some female names that begin with X, as I may have invented a new name last night just to get to Z.

Xaviera Hollander was the Happy Hooker.  There’s also Xenia, the Warrior Princess.

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

On 3/11/2023 at 8:22 PM, viii said:

Am I the only one who makes up completely unrealistic scenarios until I fall asleep?! 

I most definitely do that. Always extra happy (and extra unrealistic). 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

15 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

My husband crafted a made-up dream world in his head that he uses to get to sleep.  He has build this whole world but only imagines boring things about it to put himself to sleep.  One time he told me he was going to think about road structure (civil engineering stuff) that night.  It's interesting how many different techniques people use for this sort of thing!

I used to make up stories when I was younger to get to sleep. One was a family saga spanning two generations..... I would sometimes go back and revise parts of it. Never got to the end because I always fell asleep. Every so often, if I can't sleep, I think I should revisit them again. 

• Upvote 9

I love the sleep stories on the Calm app. One of my favorites is this guy with a very soothing voice listing off the names and characteristics of a handful of varieties of sheep. It is aptly titled “Drifting off to Sheep” and is amazingly effective. 😂

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 1

19 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I used to make up stories when I was younger to get to sleep. One was a family saga spanning two generations..... I would sometimes go back and revise parts of it. Never got to the end because I always fell asleep. Every so often, if I can't sleep, I think I should revisit them again. 

I absolutely adore this. 

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

In 2005 I "invented" a family. Back then there were three kids, 7, 4 and 1 year old. By now they are seven kids, 25, 22, 18, 16, 15, 15 and 11 years old.

In 2016 the four oldest started a youtube channel. Back then they did lots of challenges and "fun" stuff, by now they have moved on to political topics, recent events, social criticism. And they love to do Q&As.

Every evening when I want to fall asleep I either "watch" one of their videos or I "discuss" their lives and their videos in an internet forum similiar to freejinger.

• Upvote 12

4 hours ago, viii said:

I absolutely adore this. 

I wanted to be a writer or an actress..... of course in the story, I did have a role 

• Upvote 4

I may have admitted this on the forum before, but my fabricated stories for a long time were centered on the Duggars, 10-15 years out. For the longest time I even had Josh getting his shit together and becoming a decent spouse, father and human being. Of course, that involved his family moving away from JB. Jana married an Italian Catholic that she met while working at Lowes. Jana was a float who worked between the garden section and home design. She also converted to Catholicism. Her husband was a landscape architect who frequented the garden center at Lowes.

I never really got past Jessa. I’d be fast asleep.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 13

I usually read here last thing before bed, so I make up ask me anything questions/answers about whatever I read.  I also rename the Rods because some of the names bother me.   If I don’t read here before bed, I make up stories about the characters in the book I read or my latest read on Reddit.  

• Upvote 6

18 hours ago, KWLand said:

I usually read here last thing before bed, so I make up ask me anything questions/answers about whatever I read.  I also rename the Rods because some of the names bother me.   If I don’t read here before bed, I make up stories about the characters in the book I read or my latest read on Reddit.  

The Rods do have some interesting names. I always think of the name Sadie as some saloon girl/ lady of the evening out in the old west. Or at the very least a woman who would wear pants and might have blue hair! 

1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

The Rods do have some interesting names. I always think of the name Sadie as some saloon girl/ lady of the evening out in the old west. Or at the very least a woman who would wear pants and might have blue hair! 

That is funny! When I think of the name Tessie I always imagine colourful spiked Hair, leather trousers and piercings and tattoos.... 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hazelbunny said:

That is funny! When I think of the name Tessie I always imagine colourful spiked Hair, leather trousers and piercings and tattoos.... 

Hilarious because when I see Tessie, I think of some 80 year old woman. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Sadie is actually  more common than you think. It was rising in popularity and is still a top 100 name. It's currently ranked at #78 on the US Top 1000 names for girls. It was #50 in 2013. Most of Jill's girl names (Kaylee, Hannah, Olivia, Sadie, Sofia) are popular. The most uncommon name is Nurie.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Sadie is actually  more common than you think. It was rising in popularity and is still a top 100 name. It's currently ranked at #78 on the US Top 1000 names for girls. It was #50 in 2013. Most of Jill's girl names (Kaylee, Hannah, Olivia, Sadie, Sofia) are popular. The most uncommon name is Nurie.

Hannah, Olivia and Sofia (and its variations) are extremely popular here. They are definitely in the top10 regularly. Hannah and Sophia are classics and Hannah has been #1 numerous times. Olivia is a bit newer. 
They most definitely were strong contenders on our home with one being in the top three I went into labour with. 
So yeah….. I like them. Sadie is sweet as well but sounds not as nice in my mother’s tongue.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

And the older Aussie all sing…

Sadie, the cleaning lady…. 
guaranteed reason why Sadie has only recently become popular to a newer generation. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

24 minutes ago, AussieKrissy said:

And the older Aussie all sing…

Sadie, the cleaning lady…. 
guaranteed reason why Sadie has only recently become popular to a newer generation. 

I’m not familiar with that! My 6yr old’s best friend is Sadie so that’s my top association now

• Love 1

When I read the name Sadie I first think of my childhood friend's dad whose name is Sadi (a turkish name).

My second association is Sadie Greene a character of Enid Blyton's "Summer term at St Clares".

And then I think of John Lennon's "Sexy Sadie".

• Upvote 3

Sadie is an extremely popular dog name. Some popular dog names overlap with popular baby names. 

Bella, Sadie, Molly, Max, Brody, Charlie, Lucy

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

4 hours ago, Smee said:

I’m not familiar with that! My 6yr old’s best friend is Sadie so that’s my top association now

Old John Farnham song. Like black and white tv times.