IGNORED

Fore!!! Jinger courts the Jock

SpoonfulOSugar

10 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I have a question. If you repent of your sins and they're washed away as if they never happened and you're a new person in Christ and all that - why, exactly, does anyone need to be 'saved' before they're, say, 90 or otherwise on their death bed? Why can't we all just live as we choose and do whatever we want, then repent later since none of what we've done before matters?

Haha just hope you don't get hit by a truck and die before you get a chance to say "Sorry God."

10 hours ago, Imrlgoddess said:

I wondered this exact same thing for years!  Raised old school RC I just thought you made sure you're baptised and then hit the confessional often enough to keep that slate rinsed off and don't commit a mortal sin and you're in!

Are you old enough to remember indulgences? As a child I prayed those suckers, to store up against bad deeds like a sort of celestial savings account.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, one last thing on fan fiction then I'll get back on topic. Back on page 3 someone mentioned EL James being a huge dick in the Twilight community, I just finished reading this master post and it's apparently true. :pb_lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2v5cjl/some_background_on_fifty_shades_proof_of/

On topic: Re: Gaston's arrest. In the real world that's nothing, but in  Duggar land? trololololol.

Though now I'm a bit horrified to think that Boob may have picked him to feed into Jinger's "damaged goods complex." She thinks she's so unworthy of everything, so she gets the one with the "past" 

2 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Haha just hope you don't get hit by a truck and die before you get a chance to say "Sorry God."

Are you old enough to remember indulgences? As a child I prayed those suckers, to store up against bad deeds like a sort of celestial savings account.

I don't recall indulgences, i think that was a bit before my time. This pope brought them back recently, my sister was all in a tizzy about it. There was a  pilgrimage thing they could do & upon completion be granted a particular indulgence. 

14 hours ago, lascuba said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Jana's "dirt under his nails" preference is pure fantasy rather than an actual preference based on knowing herself and her desires. What experience does Jana have of that type of life? The family is small town and in an area with (I think?) farms and such in the general vicinity, but even in their poor, super isolated days the family's lifestyle was always much closer to suburban than rural. The more telling of her comments was the not wanting to be home alone all day. She needs a small business owner that she could do the bookkeeping for. The dirt preference reminds me of when I used to read the pioneer woman's blog. A small part of my brain would read the anecdotes and see the pictures and think ranch life sounded fun. The part of my brain that actually knows me would say, "bitch, please."

I always thought that Jana's "holding out for a man with dirt under his nails" comment, accompanied by her telling glances at Jessa, was code word for "I'm not going to settle for the first useless doofus that knocks on my dad's door just because I want out/I want sex/I'm smug." I think that, unlike Jessa's teenage crush, she might be playing her hand smartly - all speculations of course, purely based on the little snippets they let us see on TV.

I thought it meant there was some already some dirty finger nailed guy, being prepped for the big reveal. Like they were setting the scene, maybe trying to ward off some criticism that they're expecting.

Also speculation.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Okay, one last thing on fan fiction then I'll get back on topic. Back on page 3 someone mentioned EL James being a huge dick in the Twilight community, I just finished reading this master post and it's apparently true. :pb_lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2v5cjl/some_background_on_fifty_shades_proof_of/

On topic: Re: Gaston's arrest. In the real world that's nothing, but in  Duggar land? trololololol.

Though now I'm a bit horrified to think that Boob may have picked him to feed into Jinger's "damaged goods complex." She thinks she's so unworthy of everything, so she gets the one with the "past" 

This is a true story. I'm a fanfiction writer/reader (predominately Jane Austen) and I was part of the Twi-community at the time and EVERYONE was so angry about her book deal. A lot of people felt like she used the community to boost sales and reviews to make herself a bestseller when she self-published among other transgressions (I have no opinion on this). My entire twitter feed back then was just angry posts and gnashing of teeth.  Much like when Kristen cheated on Rob. Ahh, I miss the golden years. There are tons of better written stories that have been self-published/published from the Twilight community and I think that is definitely where some of the anger and frustration comes from. 

18 minutes ago, lizzybee said:

This is a true story. I'm a fanfiction writer/reader (predominately Jane Austen) and I was part of the Twi-community at the time and EVERYONE was so angry about her book deal. A lot of people felt like she used the community to boost sales and reviews to make herself a bestseller when she self-published among other transgressions (I have no opinion on this). My entire twitter feed back then was just angry posts and gnashing of teeth.  Much like when Kristen cheated on Rob. Ahh, I miss the golden years. There are tons of better written stories that have been self-published/published from the Twilight community and I think that is definitely where some of the anger and frustration comes from. 

I'm not well versed on James. I know she stole huge portions from Twilight and her original fanfic. But I didn't realize she had been hugely known in the community. Did she tell everyone she was going to be published or did someone figure out she had been that fanfic writer?

Just now, season of life said:

I'm not well versed on James. I know she stole huge portions from Twilight and her original fanfic. But I didn't realize she had been hugely known in the community. Did she tell everyone she was going to be published or did someone figure out she had been that fanfic writer?

Her username, I believe, was SnowqueenIceDragon. She had a group of devoted fans in the fandom. I wasn't reading her story at the time because when I moved on she wasn't finished. I am not a serial reader so if your story isn't finished, it's very unlikely I'm going to be reading along (I hate cliffies). I read the first one and maybe the second, I'm not sure if they were originally broken up like they are now either. I had moved on to other stories and authors around the time it all went down. I never engaged her or commented or anything because people said she was rude and that her minions would jump all over you if you said anything remotely critical. I'm pretty sure at one point she got kicked of FF.net because her content violated their terms of service (that usually only happens if someone reports you) so you had to go to her blog/website to read. Occasionally, I would stalk her twitter to see what was going on.

12 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I know someone from U of I who was drunk and urinated in the back of a cop car.

He works for the sheriff's department now.

LOL I hope they gave him the car that has a faint odor of urine. 

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Where is this idea coming from that Jinger thinks she's unworthy or that she's damaged goods?  I see this repeated quite a bit but I don't get that impression of her.  She may have said that in her testimony, but isn't that what they're supposed to say? I was unworthy and now I'm saved.  As for Jessa's wedding shower, I just think that Jinger is not very eloquent and didn't know how to express herself and ended up making that uncomfortable speech.  

I read that EL James, who only has her contract because of being a fanfiction author, hates that people write fanfic of her books.  Hypocrite much?

2 minutes ago, bashfulpixie said:

I read that EL James, who only has her contract because of being a fanfiction author, hates that people write fanfic of her books.  Hypocrite much?

Maybe she is afraid that someone could do something batter that her from the books... Non so hard, indeed 

12 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

I know someone from U of I who was drunk and urinated in the back of a cop car.

He works for the sheriff's department now.

Ahhhh, the Iowa City ped mall (bar scene). Can you smell it? It's where dreams go to die.

On 6/28/2016 at 3:05 PM, ClaraOswin said:

I bet we won't see her on Instagram until after the engagement is announced. And the first photo will be from a professional engagement photo shoot.

You mean Sierra?

13 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

The thing is that God sees into your heart. It is not real repentance if you are just afraid of punishment.  Also, as pointed out above, you could die (or the world could end) any minute.  

Catholics have this idea of sinners needing to repent to go to heaven also -- but you need to confess and do penance and be forgiven by the priest for it to "stick."  Just repenting is not enough. 

Was he violent? He was ranting and cursing but the only physical thing he seems to have done is he grabbed the arm of the police officer.  I didn't read carefully enough, maybe, but it sounded like one of his friends was in a physical fight and he was "standing up for" the friend against the other guy? But it was not like he was beating up anyone.  

He could have an "innate violent streak" but I don't think we can judge from a fight which seems to have involved several people.

I do agree Jinger should get to know him, but even conventional dating won't always show a propensity for violence that is suppressed except when you are drinking.

All the religious answers still don't resonate with me. Although I do see the snark in many.

The irony of religion and being 'saved' and wanting to worship at some god's feet for all eternity is just too much for me. I don't understand any of it, it's often beyond hypocritical, and it's different for everyone - according to every religion and brand of religion, you have to follow different rules. No thanks. I'll follow my own and take my chances. I'm pretty content with being a decent human being because it's the right thing to do, not because it will make some deity save me and bring me to his feet for eternity.

1 hour ago, justmy2cents said:

Where is this idea coming from that Jinger thinks she's unworthy or that she's damaged goods?  I see this repeated quite a bit but I don't get that impression of her.  She may have said that in her testimony, but isn't that what they're supposed to say? I was unworthy and now I'm saved.  As for Jessa's wedding shower, I just think that Jinger is not very eloquent and didn't know how to express herself and ended up making that uncomfortable speech.  

uncomfortable speech.  

It comes entirely from Jessa's wedding shower because Jinger actually used the word "unworthy" (I believe, anyways) That added on to her videos she's done with Ben, she gives off some serious self loathing. Like she thinks she's been tainted when that isn't the case. It seems more severe the then normal run of the mill "I was bad, then I was saved" stories. She seems to really think she doesn't deserve good things.

Of course, this is all speculation, but that's just my arm chair spec. 

8 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

It comes entirely from Jessa's wedding shower because Jinger actually used the word "unworthy" (I believe, anyways) That added on to her videos she's done with Ben, she gives off some serious self loathing. Like she thinks she's been tainted when that isn't the case. It seems more severe the then normal run of the mill "I was bad, then I was saved" stories. She seems to really think she doesn't deserve good things.

She may believe she's tainted because of the whole Josh thing... In that culture, what with the "ladies defraud" mentality, it's quite possible that, at some point along the way, she came to the conclusion that she, at such a young age, brought it on herself. When that absolutely isn't the case! Still, when they received questionable counseling for it, you gotta wonder if that might be why she feels so unworthy.

This also is complete speculation.

52 minutes ago, fundiefan said:

All the religious answers still don't resonate with me. Although I do see the snark in many.

The irony of religion and being 'saved' and wanting to worship at some god's feet for all eternity is just too much for me. I don't understand any of it, it's often beyond hypocritical, and it's different for everyone - according to every religion and brand of religion, you have to follow different rules. No thanks. I'll follow my own and take my chances. I'm pretty content with being a decent human being because it's the right thing to do, not because it will make some deity save me and bring me to his feet for eternity.

There are people who honestly believe that you cannot be a "moral" person without a belief in God. They believe that without God there is no sense of what is "right" versus what is "wrong."  I think that is nonsense, but I have heard it many times from mainstream Christians, Jews, and Muslims as well as from the uber-religious.

Like you, I think that we should be "decent human beings" just because it is "the right thing to do."  If a person is only "good" out of fear of divine punishment, then you know the "goodness" is only an act, a pretense.  People may do "good things" and still not be "good people." 

In my experience, the more sophisticated practitioners of most of the world religions will tell you that being a "righteous person," (doing what is right for its own sake, being honest, treating others decently, etc.) is far more important than "faith" in God or following specific rules.  Yet all over the place there are people who feel that there must be clearly spelled-out moral rules, and that divine punishment must fall on those who don't follow the rules. 

There are a lot of ways of looking at the relationship between "morals" and religion, but I take a pragmatic view.   If the only way thing that will prevent my neighbor from killing me and stealing my cow is fear of God, then I say fear of God is a good think.  On the other hand, when scaring people about divine retribution is the goal and center of a particular religious movement, then fear of God is a bad thing.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Don't you know I received my doctorate from Arm Chair University??

8 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Do Catholics still offer things up for souls in purgatory? My dad's side of the family is Catholic, although my dad has turned fundie-lite. (Looonng story) Even though we were raised Protestant, all the time we were growing up, and I still do it now, any time we had to do something unpleasant, we semi-seriously said we'd offer it up. 

I know we're 9 pages in, but I have to laugh at the thread title.  The golf reference is very appropriate considering

:output_eeMbjt:

26 minutes ago, Lillymuffin said:

Do Catholics still offer things up for souls in purgatory? My dad's side of the family is Catholic, although my dad has turned fundie-lite. (Looonng story) Even though we were raised Protestant, all the time we were growing up, and I still do it now, any time we had to do something unpleasant, we semi-seriously said we'd offer it up. 

I remember hearing that phrase from family and teachers (mostly nuns) growing up. Every time I complained, offer it up. 

Just the other day, my mother was complaining to me, and I suggested she offer it up. She didn't like it coming her way!

1 hour ago, Lillymuffin said:

Do Catholics still offer things up for souls in purgatory? . 

Why, yes. At least I do.. When I was a child, it was always the "poor souls in Purgatory".. I guess because they hadn't made it to Heaven yet.. My SIL the nun also does it. Her prayer list is miles long.

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I know we're 9 pages in, but I have to laugh at the thread title.  The golf reference is very appropriate considering

:output_eeMbjt:

I swear to you, my mind did NOT go there.

I have a permanent :brainbleach: setting that completely allows me to deny that that scene ever happened.

But I'm glad it made you laugh. :)

Take 18-mid 20's,fill w/alcohol, mix in loads of testosterone=Big Fight/cops/drunk tank at jail.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived