IGNORED

Fore!!! Jinger courts the Jock

SpoonfulOSugar

Are you guys serious? Have you ever been to a D1 college football game? Jeremy's actions are par for the course for your average partying, binge drinking college student. Yes, yelling at cops included. 

I sure hope my in-laws wouldn't judge me based on the stupid shit I did in college. I never got in trouble with the law, but I made plenty of stupid choices, and many while binge drinking. If anything, I learned from those experiences. Ten years later and what do you know, I'm not an alcoholic. In fact, I drink maybe twice a year. 

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

I often wondered whether the Duggars learned/retained anything of the different cultures and perspectives they may ae encountered in their lives, with all the the mission travels (=praycations) they have done. Not that I have much hope, recalling with horror some idiotic comments made by Boob while abroad. But at the very least, in the privacy of their own hearts, doesn't any of them wonder what the heck they are doing, seeing that there is a world our there beyond the cult, full of other people with different thoughts/beliefs?

With a 'headship' who kept saying 'hola' and 'gracias' when visiting China, that is doubtful.

3 minutes ago, iweartanktops said:

Are you guys serious? Have you ever been to a D1 college football game? Jeremy's actions are par for the course for your average partying, binge drinking college student. Yes, yelling at cops included. 

I sure hope my in-laws wouldn't judge me based on the stupid shit I did in college. I never got in trouble with the law, but I made plenty of stupid choices, and many while binge drinking. If anything, I learned from those experiences. Ten years later and what do you know, I'm not an alcoholic. In fact, I drink maybe twice a year. 

I agree. His brush with the law isn't much at all to me. Pretty common behavior from college students. At least in my experience.

1 hour ago, HairToday said:

Call it whatever you like.  I didn't say he was an alcoholic.  But since you're such a wordsmith, I'll edit my original post to read public intoxication and excessive consumption of alcohol. 

The point is he is extremely misleading when he wraps that kind of behavior in Biblical categories.  Everyone has been selfish and prideful at times; not everyone grabs a police officer and gets drunk & belligerent in public or spends a night in jail.

I don't consider myself a wordsmith (but thanks for the compliment!) - I just don't think the label 'alcoholism' should be used lightly with regards to a person we hardly know.

3 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Hell, if I'd have had a pic like this of my boyfriend when we were in college, it'd be front and center in the scrapbook. "Four getting pretty at the Chi Omega Party!"

No harm, no foul, no "ginder roles"

Hell my dad's college buddies' wedding gift to him was a poster-sized, professionally framed photo of him from his college days dancing around with an empty tub of ice cream on his head and a bottle of Bud in his hand. It's in the basement, not in the living room, but my parents think it's hilarious. And I have plenty of photos of me in my Rocky Horror wear publicly available on Facebook; it's not shameful at all, and I'm more covered up than most girls in their spring break photos anyways.

But in Duggar-Land, perfectly innocuous things are horrible, shameful things, and things that are actually horrible and shameful (like, oh, I dunno, letting your son sexually assault his own sisters and then blaming the sisters for his crimes) are no biggie.

1 hour ago, lizzybee said:

Yes. Here's why it makes me a little nervous. I've seen Jana in person, and she is a tiny tiny thing. When Jinger stands next to Jana in a picture she looks even smaller. He's looking for a humble, meek, modest woman who also happens to be a very small person? Hopefully drunk aggression doesn't not forebode other types of aggression.

If the Duggars are to be believed, they don't even raise their voices at each other, and her dad makes a point to always be calm. I had a very, very calm father myself. DH has a bit of temper (not violent, and never directed at me) and even the slightest expression of anger is scary to me as a consequence. Even if he doesn't do anything to Jinger, if he loses his temper she might be compelled to try anything to calm him down and then that in turn could turn into emotional manipulation. I'm wildly speculating at this point I'll own. I want to be wrong about this and hope I am.  

Isn't Jana the same size as Michelle and Amy, which I think was said around 5'-5'1". That's pretty short, even for a lot of girls! 

About anger and using it as a form of manipulation, I know you said it's purely speculation but that can happen to anyone, including the duggar men (or women). I obviously don't personally know Jinger's bf, but it seems like he was once a wild one. I can't imagine a Duggar daughter getting really mad or raising their voice. And as it was mentioned, it's interesting how they always state "slow to anger" as an attractive quality. The girls seem like if their husbands were to get even slightly mad, they would be fearful and do anything to calm their husbands down. Just a thought. 

Jinger appears quite shy on the show.  I wonder how she will cope with the duties of a pastors wife?

When a friend told me she was marrying a pastor years ago, my response was ' well now you will have to be nice to everyone '. Her response-' only to their faces':giggle:

3 hours ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

Isn't Jana the same size as Michelle and Amy, which I think was said around 5'-5'1". That's pretty short, even for a lot of girls! 

About anger and using it as a form of manipulation, I know you said it's purely speculation but that can happen to anyone, including the duggar men (or women). I obviously don't personally know Jinger's bf, but it seems like he was once a wild one. I can't imagine a Duggar daughter getting really mad or raising their voice. And as it was mentioned, it's interesting how they always state "slow to anger" as an attractive quality. The girls seem like if their husbands were to get even slightly mad, they would be fearful and do anything to calm their husbands down. Just a thought. 

I think "slow to anger" is a trait ATI women are told (maybe by other women?) to look for, I've seen it on other blogs and such. I can't really blame fundie women for placing so much emphasis on that. I mean they're taught men are physical beings who are prone to bursts of anger and lust at all turns, that men can't control themselves, etc. So it makes a lot of sense that they would see "slow to anger" men as highly desireable, as well as righteous (god granting them the strength to against their nature and all), because they've been taught to fear men and fear being alone with men and taught that they need to protect themselves and protect men from men's true nature. So if you can't trust most men because they are scary angry testosterone beasts, any temper seems very threatening. Of course, many abusers (of all genders) are quite good at disguising their tempers for short periods in front of others, so whether they are truly protected when they have short courtship/engagements and never interact one on one is a very different question. But from their perspective I definitely understand why it is such a focus for them.

All that said, I can't hold Jeremy being super drunk one night and getting mad at a cop against him too much (unless it aggregates with other evidence of a temper or something) because, you know, college. I am definitely one of the people who gets a bad vibe off him but that isn't added to or detracted from by the arrest for me. College kids do dumb stuff, especially college athletes. 

Well, I do have to wonder then what message JB is giving to his other sons. It was OK for Josh to molest his sisters, it was OK for Derek to have previous girlfriends, it's OK if Jeremy has a past--all of that is OK as long as they came to the Lord. So why wouldn't the other Duggar boys figure it's OK for them to screw around also because as long as they come back to the Lord when they are done... and what message is Jchelle giving to her daughters? That they have to settle for a bucket of spit?

I really wonder why JB gave his approval for this relationship. Jeremeny is by far the one with the wildest past of the three sons in law. Did he do it to save the show? Did you, JB?!

I got the same feeling when Jessa started her courtship with Ben. Although overall I think they are a missmatch and I get strange vibes from Ben from time to time, I think he really does try to adapt to the new situation and he knows what a "price" he got with Jessa, even though he was way too young to marry and become a father and is probably resenting the situation, himself, or Jessa, for the situation he is in, but still: he does try!

But Jeremeny? Jeremy is another level of "which of my daughters can I give away to a "reformed" guy who doesn't have the family connections or power to be a danger to me (JB)? Oh right, Jinger, she is shy, she won't say no. Not that Jana woman. She is too stubborn and old. She will either stay forever or be the biggest price to give away (to Gothard himself?)."

The only courtship that came about naturally was Jill's, and you could see that in her eyes.  Even Anna needed a little pushing when she got asked to marry Josh. Did you see how she shook her head when Josh asked her? First reactions, people, first reactions!!

4 hours ago, patsymae said:

Well, I do have to wonder then what message JB is giving to his other sons. It was OK for Josh to molest his sisters, it was OK for Derek to have previous girlfriends, it's OK if Jeremy has a past--all of that is OK as long as they came to the Lord. So why wouldn't the other Duggar boys figure it's OK for them to screw around also because as long as they come back to the Lord when they are done... and what message is Jchelle giving to her daughters? That they have to settle for a bucket of spit?

Because it's all about JB keeping control. He can keep alpha male position by not letting his sons have girlfriends. And he is keeping control by not letting his daughters marry into fundie royalty.

15 hours ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

I hate that I know this tidbit but in one of the earlier specials prior to 17 Kids (I think) they were doing a rundown of all the kids, their favorite food, height, etc, and Jana said she was 5'4  back then. Jill I think was 5'6 or 5'7. Jessa and Jinger obviously weren't done growing yet because they were 4 feet at the time, but I'd say they're around 5'5-5'6 height wise now.

8 hours ago, eveandadam said:

I really wonder why JB gave his approval for this relationship. Jeremeny is by far the But Jeremeny? Jeremy is another level of "which of my daughters can I give away to a "reformed" guy who doesn't have the family connections or power to be a danger to me (JB)? Oh right, Jinger, she is shy, she won't say no. Not that Jana woman. She is too stubborn and old. She will either stay forever or be the biggest price to give away (to Gothard himself?)."

Jana is definitely not going to be a prize for Gothard. The last thing the Duggars want right now is more scandal, so why would they not only get more involved with, but also permanently yoke themselves to, the scandal-ridden, fallen-from-grace Gothard?

I don't know what the future holds for Jana (though I do hope it's something wonderful, and preferably away from her crazy family), but it's certainly not Gothard.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I hate that I know this tidbit but in one of the earlier specials prior to 17 Kids (I think) they were doing a rundown of all the kids, their favorite food, height, etc, and Jana said she was 5'4  back then. Jill I think was 5'6 or 5'7. Jessa and Jinger obviously weren't done growing yet because they were 4 feet at the time, but I'd say they're around 5'5-5'6 height wise now.

Lol. I remember Amy posting a photo saying how she was 5'1" along with Michelle. In the photos of Amy and Jana together, they are pretty much the same height. And when Jana stands by Michelle, she looks either the about same height as her or just a hair taller (depending on the shoe she wears). That's why I figured she's around 5'1". 5'5-5'6 is probably the avg height for girls and Jana has been described as being very tiny so idk.

19 hours ago, lizzybee said:

Yes. Here's why it makes me a little nervous. I've seen Jana in person, and she is a tiny tiny thing. When Jinger stands next to Jana in a picture she looks even smaller. 

How long ago did you see her and how tall would you guess she was?

2 hours ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

Lol. I remember Amy posting a photo saying how she was 5'1" along with Michelle. In the photos of Amy and Jana together, they are pretty much the same height. And when Jana stands by Michelle, she looks either the about same height as her or just a hair taller (depending on the shoe she wears). That's why I figured she's around 5'1". 5'5-5'6 is probably the avg height for girls and Jana has been described as being very tiny so idk.

Right. I think Jana is probably still 5'4 (maybe her posture got worse?) But I think Jessa and Jinger are about 5'5 or 5'6 with Jill being about 5'6-5'7

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Right. I think Jana is probably still 5'4 (maybe her posture got worse?) But I think Jessa and Jinger are about 5'5 or 5'6 with Jill being about 5'6-5'7

Well Michelle's osteoporotic little self has probably shrank quite a bit since Josie's birth, so if you're comparing to her, it depends on how recently you saw her next to the girls. 

47 minutes ago, Casserole said:

Well Michelle's osteoporotic little self has probably shrank quite a bit since Josie's birth, so if you're comparing to her, it depends on how recently you saw her next to the girls. 

That's what I was thinking. I am sure Michelle is shorter than she once was. 

I also remember the special where they said Jill was the tallest girl st 5'7". 

Since she was the golden child she probably got extra food and was able to grow. That was a joke but there is some sad truth to it....

I have to disagree with those saying its typical for college athletes to party. When I lived in a dorm, most of the football team lived below me and most would hang out in the common room or watch movies instead of going out. I don't know many that went out, in fact two hated that I'd walk by a frat house to get to one of my night classes.  

The State school I went to emphasized students first athletes second

I cant say more without outing myself though :/   

26 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

I have to disagree with those saying its typical for college athletes to party. When I lived in a dorm, most of the football team lived below me and most would hang out in the common room or watch movies instead of going out. I don't know many that went out, in fact two hated that I'd walk by a frat house to get to one of my night classes.  

Obviously there are exceptions to anything, but jocks loving to party has been extremely typical in my experience, both in high school and college. I went to a Big 10 school that takes athletics very seriously, but is also infamous for its legendary parties, and the jocks were generally at the forefront of the revelry.

9 minutes ago, PianoPounder said:

Obviously there are exceptions to anything, but jocks loving to party has been extremely typical in my experience, both in high school and college. I went to a Big 10 school that takes athletics very seriously, but is also infamous for its legendary parties, and the jocks were generally at the forefront of the revelry.

It is getting rarer and rarer with the Digital age. One pic in the wrong place can ruin a career 

15 minutes ago, PianoPounder said:

This was my experience as well (minus the Big 10 school.)

At my college, often teammates would live together in a house. I recall going to very drunken party at the baseball house. I wasn't much into big parties but it definitely seemed like a regular occurrence.

Sorry. I keep reading this as Jinger courts the jerk, which isn't really fair since we don't know Jeremy yet.

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Sorry. I keep reading this as Jinger courts the jerk, which isn't really fair since we don't know Jeremy yet.

Don't tempt the mod team . . . . . . . . . . 

7 hours ago, AnnaRuk09 said:

I saw them when they were doing the FRCAction tour thing a few weeks before Jessa and Ben got married. Josh's job was to come convince us to vote for our current governor and that was the point of the appearance (There was a plot point in the show about Josh not knowing if he was going to make it to the wedding in time, and this tour was probably the real life reasoning behind it). I posted the picture I took with J&A on October 26, 2014 on Facebook.  I remember Jessa and Ben and Michelle and JB dropped out of traveling to go back and prepare (if you look at pictures of the tour they did that year the stops they made prior to the one they did in Macon, GA had more Duggars). When I saw them Jana and JD, the  younger twins, and Josiah were with Josh and Anna (Anna had Marcus but the others I didn't see, so either they were just on the bus or back in Arkansas with their grandparents). I was shocked to see Jana because that was back when the tabloids were having so much fun calling her Cinderella Duggar and going on and on about her being chained to her younger siblings. I didn't go up to her because she had seen some people she knew when she got off the bus and ran to them to say hello. I'm about 5'4 and would say she is definitely shorter than me.

Anna was in wedge heels but I think without them she'd be about my height, give or take. So taking a stab I'd say maybe 5'1-5'2, I say that because people have said Michelle is 5'1 and using google Jana looks taller than Michelle. What caught my attention was just how petite/slight her features are, she's just very slender and small boned. Not unhealthily or anything, she was in proportion, she's just small. 

For the record I have seen other people say they weren't friendly or what not, but John David was very polite and shook my husband's hand and thanked us for coming. The younger twins and Josiah were the ones who hopped out and set up the tent and all the equipment. Josh spoke and then he and Anna made themselves available to speak with and take a picture with everyone there. They were super nice to us too, obviously we know now Josh was about to implode. But I walked away with a good impression back then. 

2 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

I'm sure there are exceptions, such as your school. I went to an SEC school with a big emphasis on our football team though and it was true of my school (I don't mind saying that much since, well, every school in the SEC conference has a big emphasis on football lol). I was in a class with one of our more famous players and he literally only showed up to the first class. Heard a lot about him partying though, even saw him out at a few. I mean, I only played at the club level at my university and it was still in the culture, I'm sure it was only worse higher up.

It's great that your school emphasized student first, but I don't think that is the culture everywhere, or even most places.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived