IGNORED

Fore!!! Jinger courts the Jock

SpoonfulOSugar

On 08/07/2016 at 2:16 PM, Bushes of Love said:

With a 'headship' who kept saying 'hola' and 'gracias' when visiting China, that is doubtful.

Also in Nepal.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I'm sure there are exceptions, such as your school. I went to an SEC school with a big emphasis on our football team though and it was true of my school (I don't mind saying that much since, well, every school in the SEC conference has a big emphasis on football lol). I was in a class with one of our more famous players and he literally only showed up to the first class. Heard a lot about him partying though, even saw him out at a few. I mean, I only played at the club level at my university and it was still in the culture, I'm sure it was only worse higher up.

It's great that your school emphasized student first, but I don't think that is the culture everywhere, or even most places.

I thought it was Normal for coaches to randomly check in on a class at least in my hometown,college town that's how it is. 

5 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

I have to disagree with those saying its typical for college athletes to party. When I lived in a dorm, most of the football team lived below me and most would hang out in the common room or watch movies instead of going out. I don't know many that went out, in fact two hated that I'd walk by a frat house to get to one of my night classes.  

The State school I went to emphasized students first athletes second

I cant say more without outing myself though :/   

I lived underneath the baseball team, and they once made my ceiling tiles start falling out from vigorously rolling kegs one time too many. And my school was so anti-partying that frats and sororities were banned. I'm not surprised that you didn't see much partying from the football team in the dorm though -- most of the wild stuff happens off campus.

9 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I also remember the special where they said Jill was the tallest girl st 5'7". 

Since she was the golden child she probably got extra food and was able to grow. That was a joke but there is some sad truth to it....

Wasn't she the one who ate in the bathroom so as not to have to share?

14 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

Wasn't she the one who ate in the bathroom so as not to have to share?

Yep. Crackers, in specific.

14 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

I thought it was Normal for coaches to randomly check in on a class at least in my hometown,college town that's how it is. 

Definitely not. This is the first I have heard of that and I shared classes with several of the athletes at my school (admittedly most of them showed up at least sometimes, unlike the one in my above story).

16 hours ago, trisprefect said:

I lived underneath the baseball team, and they once made my ceiling tiles start falling out from vigorously rolling kegs one time too many. And my school was so anti-partying that frats and sororities were banned. I'm not surprised that you didn't see much partying from the football team in the dorm though -- most of the wild stuff happens off campus.

That's how it was at my school too. You weren't allowed to drink in the dorms so any big parties had to be elsewhere. (We still did drink in the dorms though...just quietly.)

My BFF dated guys from the baseball team, football team, and hockey team in our college. All of those groups partied. Just off campus. Like others said, they were well behaved on campus for the most part. They had to keep their grades decent and stay out of trouble on campus but they partied like crazy off campus at a house of the older players. The football house was just like a frat house. But the parties revolved around the athletic season.

17 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

Did you go to a small school? Because there are just too many athletes for that to work at a lot of colleges and universities. I went to IA school for undergrad and worked in the compliance office, and there were about 500 student-athletes at any given time, mostly in football and basketball. There's no way a coach could check in on classes. There were at least 2 or 3 cheating cases each year, and those were just the ones caught by professors. Who knows how many actually cheated. 

Partying was definitely rampant, especially in football and basketball. It was done off campus, and while there were sanctions if caught for underage drinking.

I'm not saying all 500 hundred students were awful students who just partied, but it was definitely rampant and there wasn't much that could be done about it because there just were too many students. 

58 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Did you go to a small school? Because there are just too many athletes for that to work at a lot of colleges and universities. I went to IA school for undergrad and worked in the compliance office, and there were about 500 student-athletes at any given time, mostly in football and basketball. There's no way a coach could check in on classes. There were at least 2 or 3 cheating cases each year, and those were just the ones caught by professors. Who knows how many actually cheated. 

Partying was definitely rampant, especially in football and basketball. It was done off campus, and while there were sanctions if caught for underage drinking.

I'm not saying all 500 hundred students were awful students who just partied, but it was definitely rampant and there wasn't much that could be done about it because there just were too many students. 

A lot depends on the coach. Where I teach the basketball coach is very hands on--if one of his team is in your class, he will contact you at the beginning of the semester and ask you to let him know if you see the athlete slacking, missing classes, acting out.   The others are less personally involved, but there is an office in charge of "academic support for athletes" which requests class averages and attendance records throughout the semester.

Because this is officially a dry campus (and many of the students are under 21) most of the partying is off-campus, but we see the effects in the morning.  It isn't just the athletes, though.  As might be expected, some of our frat guys are pretty wild.

Even when students aren't wild all the time, they  may sow a few wild oats here and there.  I don't see a problem so long as they don't hurt or take advantage of others and don't waste so much time partying that it affects their studies.  Plagiarism is as much a problem with students who are not athletes or party animals as with those who are.

19 hours ago, trisprefect said:

I went to a Big 12 school (that was the Big 8 when I was there) the football & basketball players were pretty tame, now baseball, and hockey golf tennis and those types where they weren't at school on a full ride, they had fun.  I lived in dorms that were off campus but were considered part of the campus and we had some big parties only thing we had to worry about was RA's and a couple of them were pretty cool so we found out when they were on duty on the weekends and that was when we partied there vs off campus. But kids from dorm on campus would come out to our floors because you couldn't get away with this stuff on campus.  

3 hours ago, anjulibai said:

no it's not small, it is one that puts emphasis on academics though 

So I just watched an episode of the Jim Gaffigan Show, and apparently Jim's pastor also quit soccer in favor of preaching. Lol.

On 7/9/2016 at 2:04 AM, OrchidBlossom said:

I think "slow to anger" is a trait ATI women are told (maybe by other women?) to look for, I've seen it on other blogs and such. I can't really blame fundie women for placing so much emphasis on that. I mean they're taught men are physical beings who are prone to bursts of anger and lust at all turns, that men can't control themselves, etc. So it makes a lot of sense that they would see "slow to anger" men as highly desireable, as well as righteous (god granting them the strength to against their nature and all), because they've been taught to fear men and fear being alone with men and taught that they need to protect themselves and protect men from men's true nature. So if you can't trust most men because they are scary angry testosterone beasts, any temper seems very threatening.

I agree it makes a lot of sense for these women to be careful about this. When a husband is going to have complete control over his wife and she has to submit to him sexually and every other way too, she had better hope he is not an angry guy by nature. The system is so open to abuse (and any abuse is seen the victim's fault) that they need to do everything they can to minimise the potential for controlling, angry behaviour.

I also don't think Jimbob is naturally "slow to anger", I think they have talked about it as something he has had to work on. I'd guess the Duggar girls are well aware of what an angry man is like, maybe not to his wife but certainly to his kids. 

7 minutes ago, jas said:

I agree it makes a lot of sense for these women to be careful about this. When a husband is going to have complete control over his wife and she has to submit to him sexually and every other way too, she had better hope he is not an angry guy by nature. The system is so open to abuse (and any abuse is seen the victim's fault) that they need to do everything they can to minimise the potential for controlling, angry behaviour.

I also don't think Jimbob is naturally "slow to anger", I think they have talked about it as something he has had to work on. I'd guess the Duggar girls are well aware of what an angry man is like, maybe not to his wife but certainly to his kids. 

Yeah they've said he had to work on that, which I think is interesting because they say they want a guy like their dad but also Jim Bob has admitted to having (at least formerly had if not continues to have) a temper. I'm not sure if it's just what you say (I mean I know plenty of non fundies who say that too) or if it is just like cognitive dissonance, or if they mean the Jim Bob who has purportedly conquered his anger. These are the kinds of questions that would make for an interesting show!

Ok, officially the courtship is boring!! no more pictures, or quotes or nothing... starting to not be interesting. ok it wasn't that interesting to begin with, but you know..

32 minutes ago, karen77 said:

Ok, officially the courtship is boring!! no more pictures, or quotes or nothing... starting to not be interesting. ok it wasn't that interesting to begin with, but you know..

i guarantee you we will get new pictures once the show starts - they are on vacation until then. 

gotta go with the brand until then

these people are so obvious -

Ben and Jessa were more out there at least Ben was during the courting 

On July 4, 2016 at 4:59 PM, xlurker said:

Getting back to suicide/hell thing. I have been doing family research, and have found a direct relative committed suicide in the 1920's.  At that time you could not have a Catholic burial, or be placed in a church yard. Spent about 6 months looking for this person, or any notices regarding this person. Nothing.  Like they never existed. This makes me very sad :'(

My great aunt died in a murder-suicide situation and her mother, a devout Irish Catholic left the church since they refused to bury her.

:(

perhaps Ben taught Jeremy not to be so open with his feelings 

remember Ben's facebook rant two years ago 

so far Jeremy is quiet and the Duggars probably want that after Joshie scandals

9 hours ago, NCLunaLovegoodFan said:

My great aunt died in a murder-suicide situation and her mother, a devout Irish Catholic left the church since they refused to bury her.

I am sorry, and sad, to hear this.  Hugs to you.

Well, they need to give us some more info soon, because the audience is getting bored. Or maybe that's just me.

10 hours ago, MarblesMom said:

I am sorry, and sad, to hear this.  Hugs to you.

Thank you. This happened decades before I was born, but my grandparents (and some ways, their children) were soundly affected. She was my grandfather's only sister and they were very close. Both my great-grandmothers had also lost their husbands young and my grandmother's oldest sister died of an illness at only 9 years of age. I've been doing family research for a while now, and it's been nice (and freeing) to talk about our family history with my parents. My regret is that I wish my grandparents were still alive to talk about it (not necessarily about the sad/tragic events). 

On 7/9/2016 at 7:10 PM, OrchidBlossom said:

I'm sure there are exceptions, such as your school. I went to an SEC school with a big emphasis on our football team though and it was true of my school (I don't mind saying that much since, well, every school in the SEC conference has a big emphasis on football lol). I was in a class with one of our more famous players and he literally only showed up to the first class. Heard a lot about him partying though, even saw him out at a few. I mean, I only played at the club level at my university and it was still in the culture, I'm sure it was only worse higher up.

It's great that your school emphasized student first, but I don't think that is the culture everywhere, or even most places.

I went to a large SEC school my freshman year. Spring semester, I accidentally registered for the "wrong" section for an English (writing) class. The class was full of football and basketball players, so to this day I refer to it as SEC English. On the first day of class, the TA warned everyone not to bother coming if we couldn't be there on time because he'd lock the door. By the second week, the TA was sending someone to get the athletes.

I was pretty perturbed that I was getting poor grades on the assignments I turned in, while the athletes who could barely read or write were getting much better grades than me. I'm no dummy, and I certainly could read and write better than the athletes. My then-boyfriend (he was in his last semester of law school) and I decided to do an experiment on a weekend his brothers were in town to visit. Brother #1 was a journalist who had recently been nominated for a Pulitzer prize. Brother #2 was a journalism professor at another university. My boyfriend wrote my paper and his brothers edited it. They received a C+ on the assignment!  I swore that if I received less than a B in the class I would appeal and file a complaint against the TA, but somehow I ended up with a B+.

On 7/15/2016 at 1:41 AM, Bad Wolf said:

Well, they need to give us some more info soon, because the audience is getting bored. Or maybe that's just me.

It's definitely not just you. This courtship is a snoozefest.

On 14/07/2016 at 11:54 PM, nst said:

perhaps Ben taught Jeremy not to be so open with his feelings 

remember Ben's facebook rant two years ago

so far Jeremy is quiet and the Duggars probably want that after Joshie scandals

I wasn't aware of the Duggars then, what did Ben rant about?

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived