IGNORED

Let the JinJer Wedding Planning Begin!

Kaylo

2 hours ago, Arix said:

You realise that they source the dresses from several different brands, right? Allure (the brand of the dress) is not a mormon brand, just has a modest line.

I was just being silly. :) It's a cute dress regardless of who ever makes it though! 

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Do you think JB would be cheap enough to try to get Jinger to "borrow" Jessa's dress? I know Jessa would absolutely not stand for it, though.

Would fall in his category of something borrowed :P

I suppose it'll get harder and harder for each wedding to be distinctively different as time goes on.

And I'm sure TLC won't want them to get too samey ;)

I think the only thing they can personalise it with is their outfits, because apart from that it'll be the same story........ JB keeping it on the cheap, masses of hungry guests and a ridiculously long gift list.

You guys could really put together a cute wedding.

It's a shame the Duggar girl will only wear white or close to white dresses, because colourful dresses are the shiz!

(I got married in a midnight blue dress. I was trying to find it on the website of the shop I bought it at, but as my wedding was 7 years ago it's long gone. I'm a screaming narcissist, so I'm tempted to put of photo of it up on here!)

1 hour ago, CoveredInBees said:

I suppose it'll get harder and harder for each wedding to be distinctively different as time goes on.

And I'm sure TLC won't want them to get too samey ;)

I think the only thing they can personalise it with is their outfits, because apart from that it'll be the same story........ JB keeping it on the cheap, masses of hungry guests and a ridiculously long gift list.

The gift list/registry will be an interesting thing to watch.  She's marrying into an Italian family, where the tradition is give cash (cover your plate) instead of tangible gifts.

(Non Italian who grew up in a predominately Italian area) I don't necessarily agree with it because how much cash I give someone depends on my relationship to them, not how lavish their wedding is.

7 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

The gift list/registry will be an interesting thing to watch.  She's marrying into an Italian family, where the tradition is give cash (cover your plate) instead of tangible gifts.

(Non Italian who grew up in a predominately Italian area) I don't necessarily agree with it because how much cash I give someone depends on my relationship to them, not how lavish their wedding is.

I've always kinda liked the Jewish tradition of giving cash in multiples of 18, since in Kabbalah/numerology, 18 signifies life (compare 8 in Chinese culture). Of course, it made accounting for donations at a Jewish NGO I worked for pretty interesting, since we'd get such (to others) odd amounts -- we'd always get $36, $54, $180, et cetera.

The Italian cover your plate tradition also could come back to bite Kim Jong Boob's cheap ass.  

No iPads on the registry because you're not spending enough to be worthy of an expensive gift.

Tried staying away from FJ to focus on my uni studies but damn it, JinJer wedding planning? Counting On Me In!!!!!

I agree with everyone that Jinger will probably go for more of a boho look, but I wonder if she'll keep that theme going with her bridesmaids, because I feel like Jessa in particular would be difficult to please in that regard. And even though Jessa made everyone wear her pick of dresses even though some of them weren't happy (poor Jana), I find it hard to believe that a) Jessa would go along with something that isn't her style, and b ) that Jinger would force all of her bridesmaids to wear something they're not 100% comfortable in.

I see Jinger going with the idea of separates - either the same pattern and colour for everyone or alternating colours within the scheme, different shapes, etc. Since she is more fashion conscious than her sisters, I think she'll be more in tune with more flattering cuts and styles, kinda like this:

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 10.10.14 PM.png

16 hours ago, Kira said:

I'm not someone who is into 'modesty' but I would be perfectly happy with this as the dress if I was a bridesmaid.

Added bonus: I can wear a bra with it! As someone with massive boobs, my worst nightmare = bridesmaids dresses that are not bra friendly. 

1 minute ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

Tried staying away from FJ to focus on my uni studies but damn it, JinJer wedding planning? Counting On Me In!!!!!

I agree with everyone that Jinger will probably go for more of a boho look, but I wonder if she'll keep that theme going with her bridesmaids, because I feel like Jessa in particular would be difficult to please in that regard. And even though Jessa made everyone wear her pick of dresses even though some of them weren't happy (poor Jana), I find it hard to believe that a) Jessa would go along with something that isn't her style, and b ) that Jinger would force all of her bridesmaids to wear something they're not 100% comfortable in.

I see Jinger going with the idea of separates - either the same pattern and colour for everyone or alternating colours within the scheme, different shapes, etc. Since she is more fashion conscious than her sisters, I think she'll be more in tune with more flattering cuts and styles, kinda like this:

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 10.10.14 PM.png

I think this might be the top contender -- everyone knows how much the Duggar girls love a mustard-yellow cardigan!

Also if the Lord could take a break from truck shopping with John Maxwell, could He bless me with second-from-left's adorable t-straps?

1 hour ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Added bonus: I can wear a bra with it! As someone with massive boobs, my worst nightmare = bridesmaids dresses that are not bra friendly. 

I'm not into modesty in the fundie sense, but my personal modesty test is a bra test.  If I can't wear a regular bra with it then I won't wear it (and I'm not well-endowed).  

This includes everything from formal dresses to causal tank tops.  When I've been a bridesmaid (never again) I've informed the bride that I'm not comfortable wearing a strapless or halter dress.

14 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Will the main course be Little Caesar's served in the parking lot straight out of the boxes? Only the most authentic Eye-talian food should be available at this wedding, after all.

I think Little Caesar's is too heavy for a Duggar reception. Keeping in the vein of melted ice cream I'm thinking they'll go for something lighter like Bagel Bites 

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I am Italian and I live in Northern Italy. I'm not married but I can assure you that where I live the cover your plate tradition is only for Communion, Confirmation and Baptism, because in these occasions only the godparents have to provide an actual gift. Wedding is different, gifts are a way to help a young couple to start a home together. Money are usually only for the couples that are already  living together and don't need to establish a home.

I'd like to remind that this family is not Italian but American, Jeremy and his parents (as far as we know) are born and bred in the US, so much so that they are Baptists fundie and not Catholic anymore.

I've read many assumptions about this family based on the fact that they are from Italian heritage, so I'd like to remind also that there isn't one Italian tradition. Actually traditions vary dramatically from Region to Region. Someone upthread was even talking about Sicilian traditions, but Vuolo as a lastname has nothing to do with Sicily, it is surely from Campania, as you can see here. I don't know his mother's maiden name though.

In the end "tacky and trash" isn't exclusively an American or Duggar way of doing it. Here is the Neapolitan version of "trashy" (not cheap though).

It's also interesting that some details that you can see in the footage aren't Italian traditions at all. The cake for example looks exactly like an American cake as it's often seen in movies, there are also other Hollywoodian references. 

8 hours ago, OodOnTheLoo said:

its gorgeous but they'd wear it with a tshirt.  

Ooooooo, they can modify Michelle's super modest silver Christmas tree dress.  Jim Bob would be so happy to save the difference.

image.jpeg

If Meeechelle turns up to the church in that monstrosity I hope Jinger slams and locks the door to keep her well away. How Jill forgave her  ( if she did!) I don't know. 

If my mum had worn anything even half as bad I would have had her photoshopped out of the wedding photographs!!!!!!

@laPapessaGiovanna the area I grew up in is heavily Italian-American and most people would self-identify as Italian (leaving out the fact that they're 3rd-4th generation American).  Maybe it is an Italian-American thing.

The cover your plate thing is very much a part of the NY-NJ-PA Italian American culture even for events that are not weddings. Even the people who have left the Catholic faith (and married in a secular ceremony) still have 'cover your plate' ingrained in them.  It is even the norm to decline an invitation if covering your plate is not in the budget.

Knowing the area Jeremy's from (my parents went to a rival high school), I can assure you cover your plate is still practiced.  My cousin (goes to same high school my parents did) recently threw a large sweet 16 party.  She had Italian-American friends (4th-5th generation) inquire about the cost per plate so they could gift accordingly.  I've even seen it mentioned on wedding invitations (IMO tacky).  I'm sure he has extended family he plans on inviting to the wedding that believe this.

There are some beautiful modest dresses on these pages. Frankly, I'm very uncomfortable showing my shoulders and upper arms, and shopping for dresses for "church" occasions can be very stressful. If I were looking for a wedding dress now, I'd be all over these pages. They're pretty and feminine and no worries about boobs falling out!

16 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

This is my pick for her from Latter Day Bride:

modest-wedding-dress-penelope-front.jpg

This is a gorgeous dress, & I think it'd suit her well (minus the orange George Hamil-tan look, of course). 

3 minutes ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

This is a gorgeous dress, & I think it'd suit her well (minus the orange George Hamil-tan look, of course). 

LOL, yeah.  Hopefully she'll keep the tan and make up tasteful.  I could totally see her in this dress.

Thanks for all of the pictures of the beautiful bridal gowns!! They are so gorgeous. And Anna borrowed her sister's dress because her family didn't have a TeeVee show maybe!!

Jinger is slim and will look great in almost anything. I agree that it would be nice to have her hair styled. Maybe the up and down look, who knows. 

And Jessa's dress is beautiful but not Jinger's style.

I hope she is ridiculously happy and he is not any of the bad things people can be. She is sweet, and I still can't believe she feels unworthy. 

You guys are making me wish I was engaged. I see so many beautiful dresses I want to wear! 

This almost (almost, but definitely not) makes me wish I was a famous fundie and had a thread devoted to my wedding. :pb_lol:

5 hours ago, ksgranola1 said:

I am a Presbyterian. We are pretty mainstream liberal Christians. We live our lives practicing the teachings of Christ. Do onto others,etc. Just recently the general assembly of our church decided it would accept gays who wish ordination. Some of the presbys got their back up & broke away from PCUSA to form their own Presbytery called the evangelical covenant. We lost our gay organist b/c of it. And to be in any way connected to evangelicals galls me to pieces.

So to answer your question, yes. MOST Presbys are pretty far fundies.

I think they are saying it's Italian-American rather than true Italian.  Italian-American is almost a separate culture of its own.  (I am part Italian-American myself.)

i don't think the "cover your plate" tradition is restricted to Italian culture in the US.  I think it's more Northeastern where there also happens to be a large concentration of people of Italian heritage and also a large concentration of wealth.  It seems to me that Catholic and Jewish weddings where people are looking to impress a large extended family tend to be quite showy.  In this part of the country not only do marrying couples feel the need to show off the biggest party possible, but guests also demand it.  If you want to piss off a wedding guest, don't offer an open bar or dancing.  While I think no couple should demand or expect a guest to cover the cost, I understand the "pay to play" attitude a bit.  

On the subject of dresses, I can only hope that no other Duggar woman does what Michelle did and stuff a t-shirt under a strapless gown.  That looked ridiculous and Michelle had so many modest options.

Also on the subject of dresses, I'm with all of you who say that if it doesn't cover a bra then I don't wear it.  My boobs are big and floppy and a strapless that can support them is an uncomfortable cage.

3 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

@laPapessaGiovanna the area I grew up in is heavily Italian-American and most people would self-identify as Italian (leaving out the fact that they're 3rd-4th generation American).  Maybe it is an Italian-American thing.

The cover your plate thing is very much a part of the NY-NJ-PA Italian American culture even for events that are not weddings. Even the people who have left the Catholic faith (and married in a secular ceremony) still have 'cover your plate' ingrained in them.  It is even the norm to decline an invitation if covering your plate is not in the budget.

Knowing the area Jeremy's from (my parents went to a rival high school), I can assure you cover your plate is still practiced.  My cousin (goes to same high school my parents did) recently threw a large sweet 16 party.  She had Italian-American friends (4th-5th generation) inquire about the cost per plate so they could gift accordingly.  I've even seen it mentioned on wedding invitations (IMO tacky).  I'm sure he has extended family he plans on inviting to the wedding that believe this.

So true, I grew up in Philly (Kensington) and now live in South Jersey.   If I cannot give enough to cover my plate and the hubby's, plus something extra, I will decline the invitation.  (Of course unless it is family).    It's kind of normal etiquette  with many of my family and friends and I am Irish/German. 

I need to talk to JB and Michelle because I still want to know if illusion necklines are okay or sinful. So many gorgeous illusion necklines to work with.

I'm glad the trend in dresses are going more modest but still feminine and flowy and cute.

Or sometimes, the structured look can be super fetching, see all of Claire Underwood's outfits in House of Cards. Not everyone likes to show their arms or shoulders and the bit about the bra is always something I look for in a dress as well! It's not really a modesty standard, just a comfort one!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived