IGNORED

Let the JinJer Wedding Planning Begin!

Kaylo

Did anyone see the Big Bang Theory episode where Penny and Amy were shopping for bridesmaid dresses?  Amy came out of the dressing room with DQ's  MOB unaltered dress.  Hubby thought I had lost my mind from all the hysterical laughter coming out of me.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was speculation about jinger already being engaged and that's why they went ahead w/filming the courtship. I finally got the blog to open & there is a pic of her & jeremy sitting at a table & you can see there is a ring on her left hand.

On 6/23/2016 at 6:18 PM, naatashamaru said:

6k on the dress alone???? Dang...i was hoping for no more than $1500...sheesh

David's Bridal or a smaller dress shop you can get a very nice dress for $1000 if you don't go to an uber fancy shop and get designer dress.  My sister got her dress at David's 6 years ago and got it the vail, slip, and shoes for $900. 

4 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

There was speculation about jinger already being engaged and that's why they went ahead w/filming the courtship. I finally got the blog to open & there is a pic of her & jeremy sitting at a table & you can see there is a ring on her left hand.

Oh, do tell @ksgranola1 , where is the blog I want to see the ring. I love all of this. I am shallow, as I have stated before. 

22 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Well, I found the bride's dress underwhelming. On the other hand, the MOB looked amazing. 

27 minutes ago, MiddleAgedLady said:

Society wedding of the year, with the Queen attending and the Prince of Wales giving away the bride, and they couldn't be bothered to steam the wrinkles out of the dress? Major side-eye from me. Jinger needs to stay far away from that type of dress, she needs some type of embellishment to hide the fact that she probably won't bother ironing or steaming her gown either.

1 minute ago, SAH Internetter said:

Society wedding of the year, with the Queen attending and the Prince of Wales giving away the bride, and they couldn't be bothered to steam the wrinkles out of the dress? Major side-eye from me. Jinger needs to stay far away from that type of dress, she needs some type of embellishment to hide the fact that she probably won't bother ironing or steaming her gown either.

II didn't even notice the wrinkles, I found the style....won't say....Is it supposed to be fashionable. 

I really hope Jinger chooses a dress we all approve of, ha ha. 

10 minutes ago, SAH Internetter said:

never mind I thought it was a different wedding.  

I couldn't believe the wrinkles either! 

I have A friend who married a few years back and got her dress online. It was a lovely dress, but she didn't know she should have had it professionally pressed. I feel bad for her every time I see photos of the wedding. 

I'd love to see the ring @ksgranola1 Didn't Erin get her dress at David's Bridal? Should I get married I'll most likelygo there.  I look at their dresses all the time.  They're also affordable

3 hours ago, SAH Internetter said:

Society wedding of the year, with the Queen attending and the Prince of Wales giving away the bride, and they couldn't be bothered to steam the wrinkles out of the dress? Major side-eye from me.

Do you remember Princess Diana's wedding dress? It was one huge mass of wrinkles.

I don't dislike the bride's dress there, but the bridesmaid dresses do nothing at all for me. I do enjoy looking at the hats whenever there's a royal to-do. None of them looked like toilet seats this time, thankfully.

Wedding planner hat on here for a moment .... satin wrinkles HORRIBLY.  Which is why Diana's dress looked like a crumpled bedsheet when she crawled out of her carriage.  (Also a good reason for brides to follow the American custom of dressing at the church/wedding venue.)
Costly bridal fabrics are notorious for being unforgiving in many ways.
Silk charmeuse -- shows every lump, bump, mole, and freckle.  If you're not an anorexic super model, this fabric is probably not your best friend.
Silk satin -- wrinkles terribly.  See above.  
Also - both of these fabrics are unforgiving in the alterations department. It's nearly impossible to let out a seam without it showing to an experienced eye. (FWIW, always order bridal wear a size up if uncertain. Bridal notoriously runs small anyway. And it's always easier to take in than to let out what isn't there.)
Anything pure silk doesn't come in bright white. The bright white dresses are always a blend with something else.
Bridal anything is a racket, pure and simple.  One pays for the label, the name, the store, the prestige, the decor, the "free champagne," etc.

I did the wedding of a friend several years back. Who insisted she had to be a Kleinfeld bride. She paid for me to travel there with her. Ka-CHING.$$$$$$  Kleinfeld's boasts it has 2,000 dresses in stock.  But a horrifying very few of them are under $2,000.  Since we were there on a non-TLC filming day, I took advantage and prowled around as much as I could.
I made friends with a stockroom girl, who was working out the last few days of her two weeks' notice. I gave her my card and asked for a conversation after she quit.  Here is what I learned:

Almost nothing is as it appears on Say Yes to the Dress. (shocker, right?)
There is very little camaraderie among associates and management. 
Management does play favorites, but one can fall in/out of favor at warp speed. Very middle school.
The consultants are cut-throat with each other. They steal dresses from each other's dressing rooms.
The savvy consultants learn how valuable the stockroom girls ("SRGs") are.
SRGs can find desired dresses ... or can make them "disappear" ...
Lots of catfights both behind the scenes and also on the showroom floor.
Mistakes and uh-oh's happen more than you'd think -- wrong dress ordered, wrong style, wrong color, wrong size.
They're Kleinfeld's so they can get away with a lot.
Their alterations are ridiculously pricey!

My take-away:
Do your dress shopping closer to home, at a fraction of the price.
Don't break the bank trying to impress people.
Don't hurt yourself trying to do something that's never been seen or done before.

10 hours ago, Pandora Spocks said:

Well, the good news is that you, too, can be the proud owner of one of these snazzy ensembles. I cringe to report that this business is based in Wisconsin, but I do have to own the fact that my otherwise much loved state is a hotbed of raging lunatics and religious whackos. Keeps things interesting. But I digress. Simply visit http://www.thekingsdaughters.com/ladiesdresses.html and you can be wearing one of these custom gowns guaranteed to draw attention to your blessed countenance. At the low, low price of $70, even Kim Jong Boobie would approve of you buying two. One to wear and one to wash, of course. No need to be frivolous.  There are also plenty of modest and wholesome choices for MOB  and bridesmaids as well. But please, don't blame me if you find yourself going broke from snatching up a closet full of these fancies! Gluttony is a a sin, you know.

Well, I just spent **way** too much time at TheKingsDaughters site.  They give names to their dress styles, and i now know that the dress that PandoraSpocks showed us on page 8 is named after me.  (Yay!! does that make me frumperlicious?  maybe i'll get one in a racy calico.)  i actually looked at their slips with genuine interest because they reminded me of a new-agey company i used to order from that no longer exists.  and i can't unsee the fact that TKD sells washable feminine hygiene products.  whoa; maybe now I've seen everything.

I've been spending waaay too much time googling modest wedding dresses lately. So for my favorite suggestion for Jinger is that beaded capelet dress a couple pages back. I keep imagining Jinger in something with a bohemian feel to it.

I liked the 1920's rustic feel of this dress, and wish I could see more of it. If Jinger were to wear something like this I would hope she'd wear her hair is some kind of a low, soft updo with wavy tendrils around her face.
www.studio.e-picasa.com/diy-wedding-dress/diy-wedding-dress-4-antique-vintage-lace-wedding-dresses/

I HATE the fabric this is made of, BUT I could see Jinger rocking something with a slim yet flowing skirt and a bell sleeve.

www.snowybridal.com/p/Beach-A-Line-Long-Lace-Chiffon-V-Neck-Long-Sleeve-Wedding-Dress_327/

Then I googled bridal dresses with bell sleeves, and found this page. Definitely not Duggar-friendly wedding shopping, but there are some lovely modest dresses here:

buffaloindieweddings.com/top-10-modest-wedding-dresses-on-etsy/

My faves for Jinger (from above) would be this one (of course, she'd have shoulder coverage and a longer skirt in the lining).

Spoiler

Vintage-Inspired Bohemian Wedding Gown. BELL SLEEVE LACE Crochet Ivory or White Hippie Wedding Dress. Boho Embroidered Maxi Lace Dress

And This one:

Spoiler

Sheer Chantilly Lace Peplum top cover up cap sleeve top

They'd probably ruin the ethereal sheer top by building up the lining too high, but I like the elegant yet relaxed shape of this dress.

Totally forgot one important fact from Kleinfeld's, which was kind of the whole reason for the post.

They have a selection of modest dresses for orthodox Jewish brides. Think long sleeves, higher necks and backs. Some are actually quite pretty as they typically use lots of lace.

6 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Totally forgot one important fact from Kleinfeld's, which was kind of the whole reason for the post.

They have a selection of modest dresses for orthodox Jewish brides. Think long sleeves, higher necks and backs. Some are actually quite pretty as they typically use lots of lace.

Did you ask them about Randy? Is he as nice as he seems?

Don't the Duggar girls all wear purity rings? I know Jill did, and had to take it off her left ring finger when Derick proposed. So a ring on the finger may not mean anything even if it is there.

Hi, @2manyKidzzz -- would love to have met Randy but did not see him that day. 

"Sarah" - my stockroom friend - wasn't willing to share much about him. :/

1 minute ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

Hi, @2manyKidzzz -- would love to have met Randy but did not see him that day. 

"Sarah" - my stockroom friend - wasn't willing to share much about him. :/

Thanks for the reply. Maybe they have been told not to talk about specific staff. 

That was my guess as well. And I'm sure "Sarah" needed a good reference from them for future endeavors. Plus, she didn't know me from Adam's housecat. I could have been a spy, a plant, or a gossip rag reporter. I tried to be very respectful of her time and boundaries. 

And sent her a generous thank-you gift.

Reviewing all of the Beautiful dress choices you folks have found.  My personal favorite is the first one by Latter Day Bride -- the embroidered overlay.  GORGEOUS.  The plum-colored (or burgundy?) bridesmaid dress someone found is also lovely. However, that neckline would not be godly-Duggar-ed enough and they would certainly have to fugly it up.  Plus cut it off as it's floor-length, and I doubt Jinger will have an evening formal wedding. And that fabric would be hell for CinderJana to try to shorten the hem.

Dress shopping is the hardest thing ever. To find something you like, the right color, right fabric, right length, right level of coverage for personal comfort, right price -- WAAAAY too hard.  I was so sick of shopping that I seriously let the MOB just choose my dress for me.  We ended up shopping together that day, and I was determined not to go home empty-handed. Obviously, she got to choose first. Which then narrowed my selection to less than 1% of all available choices.  (MOG is not allowed to "upstage" the MOB [or the bride] in style, color or price.)  Therefore, I was limited to a dress that was comparable to hers in style and designer and complementary in color.  Then we took our dresses home to be "approved" by the Bride. I was surprised that the Bride AND the Groom both said they really loved my dress.  So it's good enough for the occasion and will photograph okay. (My personal style is more dramatic and youthful, but that's irrelevant for this event.)  At least I have cool shoes!

I had no idea there were such rules for MOTB and MOTG. Luckily my future dil and her mother are very easy going and have no restrictions on style, color, length of my (MOTG) dress.

Just now, Chickenbutt said:

I had no idea there were such rules for MOTB and MOTG. Luckily my future dil and her mother are very easy going and have no restrictions on style, color, length of my (MOTG) dress.

Having three sons, I am aware that it is the bride's day....and when, hopefully those days arrive, I will bow to her wishes. I guess depending on the personality of the bride, it will be easy or difficult. But all fine. 

============

Now ... will try to respond as Mother of the Groom regarding various posts upthread.  I apologize right now for not keeping up with who posted what. Sorry.

Perhaps @samira_catlover posted about family-style meals?  Well, it's a darn good idea.  And in my 30 years of wedding planning, I've only seen it twice. Perhaps it's a regional/cultural/denominational thing?

For my son's wedding, his whole well-reasoned approach was to treat people well without breaking the bank. They've limited their guest list to under 200.  Even so, her family's chosen caterer + cake = $200 per person. (No, this does not include an open bar.):56247953c05d2_32(6):  Groom's preference was to spend less on wedding, bigger down-payment on house. (FYI, a fixer-upper starter home in their metro area begins in mid $300s.  Yikes.)  And if Bride or Groom were crass enough to tell guests an amount to "cover the plate," I'd slap the hell out of them!

Groom wanted a very casual rehearsal dinner. Which was nixed by Bride's family.  *le sigh*  Never mind that her family earns mid-6 figures.  Groom's dad (my idiot ex) earns lower-mid 6 figures and is so tight his ass whistles.  My hubby and I almost qualify for food stamps but refuse.  
Wanna guess who's stuck paying ~$50 pp for a casual buffet for 60 people??  (Again, no open bar, and I'm putting my gourmet-chef training DIY skills to use.)

A few of us are master's-level professional musicians. We were going to do a lovely jazz combo + vocals for part of the reception.  Nope. Too ungodly.  *head bang*
I had planned a fun non-alcoholic signature mocktails + gourmet soda + coffee bar for cocktail hour, complete with mixologists and baristas.  Nyet.  Not allowed.
Of course, no dancing either. Not even couple, father-daughter, mother-son, or bridal party.

Suffice it to say that, these are IFB folk who dictate to the world about "standards" and refuse to allow for dancing or drinking.  They even control the music!  (But they'll tell you they're not legalistic because the women can wear pants.)

All i can say is, fundamentalism is where fun goes to die!

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived