IGNORED

John Shrader Pt 8- Me, me, me missionary

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

If you replace John's "they won't teach christianity in public schools" argument with "they won't teach Islam or Judaism in public schools" would the fundies understand why it's not okay for schools to indoctrinate children into a religion? All this "they've taken prayer and Jesus out of the schools" crap annoys me. Of course there isn't prayer in school. Not everyone believes in the same god or in god at all and it isn't appropriate use of school time. 

Public school grad (through high school) here---and you know, I wouldn't mind having some very basic religious education training included in social studies classes (grade school) and/or as a semester elective in HS (sociology and/or history).  Of course, what I've got in mind would be studying the Cliff Notes version of a lot of world religions, as education, not indoctrination---and no, not 14 weeks on Christianity, 2 days each on Judaism and Islam, and the other 8 days on other Eastern faiths, modern Paganism, animism, and other belief/non-belief systems.

Of course, there'd be blood on the walls, as everyone fights for the Hearts, Minds, and Souls of those underaged kids who might be corrupted beyond belief at exposure to Other (non-correct!) Ways of Thinking....

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

If you replace John's "they won't teach christianity in public schools" argument with "they won't teach Islam or Judaism in public schools" would the fundies understand why it's not okay for schools to indoctrinate children into a religion? All this "they've taken prayer and Jesus out of the schools" crap annoys me. Of course there isn't prayer in school. Not everyone believes in the same god or in god at all and it isn't appropriate use of school time. 

I am in the minority of evangelical Christians who  believe that Bible and prayer shouldn't be pushed in the public schools and this is exactly why.  If Christians push for prayer in schools, they are inviting all other belief systems to be represented as well.  How about starting a high school football game off with a chant, a gong, an "ohmmmm," lighting candles, speaking in tongues, a small animal sacrifice, etc.  I know I'm being super snarky here but what's fair for one system is fair for the others...unless we DON'T want separation of church and state.  Many Christians forget what a blessing separation of church and state is.  I don't want the government forcing me to conform my beliefs into their parameters and if I try to force schools to conform to my belief system, I diluting my faith and asking the government to be the head of my church.

ETA:  The more I read from fundie independent Baptists, the more I realize they just spew a rhetoric that has been passed down through centuries, not really taking the time to think for themselves and nor praying that God Himself reveal what is true and what is legalistic mumbo jumbo.

One other thing:  John brags about how many KJV bibles were distributed at the church he traveled to this past week.  Does it NEVER occur to John to provide scripture in the relevant languages of his host country?  Did God call John to teach old English to ESL people or to teach His word to these people in a way that is applicable to their lives?  (No, John.  I'm sure Jesus didn't sound like the cast of Monty Python.)

I am in the minority of evangelical Christians who  believe that Bible and prayer shouldn't be pushed in the public schools and this is exactly why.  If Christians push for prayer in schools, they are inviting all other belief systems to be represented as well.  How about starting a high school football game off with a chant, a gong, an "ohmmmm," lighting candles, speaking in tongues, a small animal sacrifice, etc.  I know I'm being super snarky here but what's fair for one system is fair for the others...unless we DON'T want separation of church and state.  Many Christians forget what a blessing separation of church and state is.  I don't want the government forcing me to conform my beliefs into their parameters and if I try to force schools to conform to my belief system, I diluting my faith and asking the government to be the head of my church.

This is why the people like Lucian Greaves pushes back and say fine you want your to hand out Bibles at school don't forget we can hand out Santanic coloring books. This happened in Florida and boy oh boy did people go okay let's value that separation clause. Basically what I've noticed is as soon as a voice which isn't of the Christian flavor wants to be heard there is a sense of oh no we are losing our rights. Instead of remembering more speech is more effective than trying to silence speech one doesn't agree with.

I lived for two years in a country where the Roman Catholic Church was the State church.  I am not condemning Catholics*.  What I AM saying is that this was an eye opener for me.  It seemed to reduce the Catholic church (there) to nothing more than an institution for family rites of passage (baptisms, confirmations, weddings, funerals, and burials) and a card-carrying club member, so to speak.  Churches were little more than museums most of the time.  Everyone knew the same basic prayers to recite.

I don't see Catholic churches that way in the area of the country where I live. The freedom to believe as you choose without literal or perceived persecution is a great privilege and a basic right that we can enjoy in the United States.

*Catholicism happened to be the state religion.  It could have been Lutheranism, SDA, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, or any other number of religions.

My husband just returned from a "mission cation" in Tanzania.  In his case, though,their team was teaching at the Anglican seminary in Tanzania.  I saw a video he made of worship that respected the indigenous culture.  He also told of a parishioner that brought a live chicken for the offertory.  That makes me think of the parable of the Widow's Mite.  One pastor serves six parishes and has to walk between each one.  The team is going to help him buy a motorcycle so  he doesn't have to walk.   How different is that from the money grubbing Schrader!

4 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I guess when John's parents told him he was special, he believed it. John you are special and unique, just like everyone else.

Oh no, Johan is special in his very own way :my_biggrin: - not like anybody else (thankfully - can you imagine a world full of people like John?)

Looks like a new update has been sent out...

13569012_10206628591463684_3903230148727701673_o.jpg

He's still just as chauvinistic, racist, and condescending to the local people as ever, but I do think it was kind of nice that they gave Isaiah a middle name in the local language. If they don't stay in Zambia forever, that's a nice way to link Isaiah to his birthplace.

I know it's the very, very, very least of his issues, but I just can't with John's abuse of exclamation marks. He and Jill Rodrigues both—everything they write reminds me of Jimmy's résumé on Raising Hope.

2 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

He's still just as chauvinistic, racist, and condescending to the local people as ever, but I do think it was kind of nice that they gave Isaiah a middle name in the local language. If they don't stay in Zambia forever, that's a nice way to link Isaiah to his birthplace.

Ehh, I might take it as a nicer effort if he weren't so condescending and patronizing, or if he actually knew anything of the local language(s). I don't think either of the names he's given his "African-American" sons mean what he thinks they mean, and that's a little sad.

Not even the slightest bit surprised over the timing of the latest newsletter. I don't think they've put one out for several months, have they? But now that John's support was dropped by another church or two, and they have a new baby to distract from his complete ineptitude, he's got a shiny new prayer letter! 

27 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

Ehh, I might take it as a nicer effort if he weren't so condescending and patronizing, or if he actually knew anything of the local language(s). I don't think either of the names he's given his "African-American" sons mean what he thinks they mean, and that's a little sad.

Not even the slightest bit surprised over the timing of the latest newsletter. I don't think they've put one out for several months, have they? But now that John's support was dropped by another church or two, and they have a new baby to distract from his complete ineptitude, he's got a shiny new prayer letter! 

Very good point. For the kid's sake I do hope his name means what John claims it means.

Also, John's calling his kids "African-American" combined with the topic title reminds me so much of Ja'mie King from Summer Heights High. In the TV series that focuses just on her, she paints a self portrait called MeMeME and claims that the colors of the painting represent her "African heritage" (her parents are wealthy white South Africans who moved to Australia, and she often does wildly inept and insensitive Africa-centered "charity" work to get attention and make herself look good). Actually, I think that Ja'mie King is basically John Shrader if he were an Australian teenage girl.

A pastor was once asked, "What is the best Bible translation?"  His response:  "The one you will read."

John is so arrogant about the KJV that even translated Bibles into the local languages aren't good enough.  *sigh* It's up to Truth Carrier John the Bumbling Baptist* to take on the work of making sure Bibles are, for the VERY first time in Zambian history, translated correctly--all hail King James!  As we well know, God can't possibly use current translations to sufficiently explain the story of Christ and the gift of salvation.  No, God is just going to have to wait on John, apparently, to have Bibles translated Mr. Shrader's way before He can do mighty and miraculous things amongst the Zambian people.

I wonder...if someone snuck up behind John and lightly pricked his head with a pin, would it explode from an overload of pressurized ego and spatter Shrader narcissism everywhere?  Eeewwww...

*Does anyone else think this would make a great Jeff Dunham character?

10 minutes ago, Gimme a Free RV said:

A pastor was once asked, "What is the best Bible translation?"  His response:  "The one you will read."

John is so arrogant about the KJV that even translated Bibles into the local languages aren't good enough.  *sigh* It's up to Truth Carrier John the Bumbling Baptist* to take on the work of making sure Bibles are, for the VERY first time in Zambian history, translated correctly--all hail King James!  As we well know, God can't possibly use current translations to sufficiently explain the story of Christ and the gift of salvation.  No, God is just going to have to wait on John, apparently, to have Bibles translated Mr. Shrader's way before He can do mighty and miraculous things amongst the Zambian people.

I wonder...if someone snuck up behind John and lightly pricked his head with a pin, would it explode from an overload of pressurized ego and spatter Shrader narcissism everywhere?  Eeewwww...

*Does anyone else think this would make a great Jeff Dunham character?

Interactions with Peanut and Achmed would be priceless.:laughing-rolling:

6 minutes ago, Granwych said:

John the Bumbling Baptist--I love it!  (See how I only used one exclamation point?)

Awww, c'mon.  They're free!!!!!!!!!!!  Use! As!! Many!!! As!!!! You'd!!!! Like!!!!!!!

Spoiler

! ! ! !  !!!  !..!..!  !~!~!~!  !!  !! !!    >!<  (!)

5 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Interactions with Peanut and Achmed would be priceless.:laughing-rolling:

The John puppet would need a tract in one hand and a bag of sunflower seeds in the other.  Dunham could stretch his repertoire of voices to include the fake Zambian accent.

11 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Looks like a new update has been sent out...

13569012_10206628591463684_3903230148727701673_o.jpg

Speaking as a guy who builds web sites pretty frequently, that layout, color scheme and the just about everything else are clearly the work of Satan.

Seriously, it's like looking at Mirsky's Worst of the Web from 1998.

I missed the fact that this is an "Historic Biblical Baptist Church Planting" from earlier newsletters.  And it's a good thing John noticed the imitation (non-historic) "Baptist" church didn't even understand salvation, because now he can come to the rescue and then tell us all about it.

:5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

Isn't David Banda the name of Madonna's adopted son? I thought it sounded familiar...

Just now, slickcat79 said:

Isn't David Banda the name of Madonna's adopted son? I thought it sounded familiar...

I was going to ask that, too, but seeing as I'm rusty on all things celebrity-related, I didn't want to embarrass myself.  

OK, no longer ID as Christian, but can I have a small shot at translating the Good News of the Christian Scriptures (with adaptations for diverse languages)?

"Deity LOVES you--and me, and her, and him, and everybody.  Us humans have problems and act badly sometimes.  But Deity STILL loves us, and wants us to come home.  Here is Jesus, a great smart teacher/leader, to show us better ways to love.  Love Deity, because Deity loves you---and love other people, even when mean, because this opens their hearts to love."  

https://www.facebook.com/john.shrader.125/posts/10206636452700210

Shrader and his disciples put up a giant chicken coop at the Timothy House. Apparently they will be getting in SIX HUNDRED CHICKENS for the men to take care of. And the coop is basically attached to the house...can you imagine the smell? :puke-front: 

Why, might you ask, would Shrader want his men to be responsible for 600 chickens?

This is very important for several key reasons.

(1) It eliminates the "dependency mindset" in Missions. When the men are supporting themselves then they are not looking to us to meet their needs. A dependency mentality is rampant in Africa, and a killer for Biblical ministry. It's awesome to see the men taking responsibility for their own living.

(2) It teaches the men how to run a business. This is important because as Arcade and Jolis return to Burundi, or we send men out, this prepares them to be "tent-makers" like Paul was, until they see a church established that can support them. This takes time, but they will be prepared.

(3) It teaches them how to handle money, and gives them the opportunity to learn how to give back to God in tithes and offerings. This is very important, as they can prove God for themselves before teaching others about it in their ministries in the future.

(4) It gives them the chance to learn not only how to earn and manage money, but the opportunity to SAVE as well. This is also HUGE, because many in Africa literally live day to day, and unfortunately savings are rare. They're looking forward to getting married in God's time one day too. That takes MOOLAH!

Ha. Haha. Haaaaaaahahahaha :pb_lol:

Oh John, you never fail to astonish.

6 minutes ago, slickcat79 said:

Shrader and his disciples put up a giant chicken coop at the Timothy House. Apparently they will be getting in SIX HUNDRED CHICKENS for the men to take care of. And the coop is basically attached to the house...can you imagine the smell? :puke-front: 

Why, might you ask, would Shrader want his men to be responsible for 600 chickens?

I already feel sorry for those chickens, unless these men already know how to care for them properly.  They'll be noisy as hell, though, enough to make any smell seem insignificant.  My three hens get to being bitchy sometimes and won't shut up, but multiply that by 200.   And 600 of any animal can get out of control fast if you're not on top of things.  An animal cruelty case was settled in my area last week that involved about 400+ various farm animals, most of which were surrendered, and the owners have claimed that work on their farm had gotten to be too much to handle recently.  They apparently sold the farm in favor of a smaller one with the few animals they managed to keep.

32 minutes ago, catlady said:

I already feel sorry for those chickens, unless these men already know how to care for them properly.  They'll be noisy as hell, though, enough to make any smell seem insignificant.  My three hens get to being bitchy sometimes and won't shut up, but multiply that by 200.   And 600 of any animal can get out of control fast if you're not on top of things.  An animal cruelty case was settled in my area last week that involved about 400+ various farm animals, most of which were surrendered, and the owners have claimed that work on their farm had gotten to be too much to handle recently.  They apparently sold the farm in favor of a smaller one with the few animals they managed to keep.

600 CHICKENS?! In that small (for 600 CHICKENS -- WTF, man??) space?!  Schrader -- what an asshole.  Keep the kids in an RV while raising money for "missions;" ignore Esther while gestating or birthing; condescend to every indigenous person anywhere; revere the KJV at the expense of common sense; anoint oneself as God's chosen spokesman.... Ah, that John, always outdoing himself. The special-est snowflake to ever snowflake  :special-snowflake2:

On 7 July 2016 at 0:41 PM, Gimme a Free RV said:

I lived for two years in a country where the Roman Catholic Church was the State church.  I am not condemning Catholics*.  What I AM saying is that this was an eye opener for me.  It seemed to reduce the Catholic church (there) to nothing more than an institution for family rites of passage (baptisms, confirmations, weddings, funerals, and burials) and a card-carrying club member, so to speak.  Churches were little more than museums most of the time.  Everyone knew the same basic prayers to recite.

I don't see Catholic churches that way in the area of the country where I live. The freedom to believe as you choose without literal or perceived persecution is a great privilege and a basic right that we can enjoy in the United States.

*Catholicism happened to be the state religion.  It could have been Lutheranism, SDA, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, or any other number of religions.

How is John envisioning feeding 600 chickens? The feed will cost money. He surely can't be planning 600 free range birds? Where is the grass etc required for free range?

Has he bought the appropriate chicken husbandry books?

chickens are living creatures and have specific needs to stay healthy. It is possible that there are villagers who have the required knowledge, but 600??  The cleaning up after 600 chickens is mind boggling. 

John boy has finally lost it. Big time.

This sounds like Battery farming however he tries to sell it.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived