IGNORED

John Shrader Pt 8- Me, me, me missionary

samurai_sarah

Oh gosh I'm sorry! Poor thing!

take your time, I will read over and savour part one. Thank you! 

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, countressrascal said:

No Part 2 tonight my granddaughter broke her arm 

So sorry to hear that! Hope she is doing ok and heals quickly. 

Ok mulling over @countressrascal's post and I have to admit I would be a bit taken aback like John was if someone offered to fit me with a IUD days after I have birth

not there business my birth control unless I ask. 

He must be REALLY disliked if other people are goading him like that. 

1 hour ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Ok mulling over @countressrascal's post and I have to admit I would be a bit taken aback like John was if someone offered to fit me with a IUD days after I have birth

not there business my birth control unless I ask. 

He must be REALLY disliked if other people are goading him like that. 

It's kind of standard for doctors to ask postpartum women about their future birth control plans and if they want an IUD.  Fertility can return sooner than expected so it's good to have a plan, and if a mom wants to nurse the estrogen-containing pill can interfere with that.  IUDs are a good long-term low-effort method. 

2 hours ago, Petrel said:

It's kind of standard for doctors to ask postpartum women about their future birth control plans and if they want an IUD.  Fertility can return sooner than expected so it's good to have a plan, and if a mom wants to nurse the estrogen-containing pill can interfere with that.  IUDs are a good long-term low-effort method. 

Especially if John initiated the conversation talking about how his wife just had their 9th kid (which you know he would talk about at every opportunity). I'm sure a major reason for OBs/midwives to be working in Zambia is to teach the women about fertility and offer birth control options. 

9 hours ago, countressrascal said:

No Part 2 tonight my granddaughter broke her arm 

Noooo! Poor granddaughter! I hope she's a quick healer and the cast doesn't bother her too much. I've never broken a bone in my life, I can't imagine how that must feel! :my_cry:

I have a feeling that we will get a few posts about eggs and chickens - and then the whole enterprise will go the way of the magical disappearing plane and the amazing well of Living Waters bribery and ruining next-door neighbor's business.

I also ask:

- who paid for the materials for the chicken coop?

- who paid for 600 chickens (or eggs)?

- who is paying for the feed?

- where are they going to put all that guano?

- if this is going to be a business - who owns the damn business?

12 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Interesting that he already has a bit of reputation among other missionaries. 

Looking forward to part 2!

I put money on him becoming notorious in the local missionary community months ago!  :laughing-jumpingpurple:

@countressrascal thanks for part one of the report.  Good wishes for your granddaughter and I hope she heals fast.

You know, I really COULD see a small-scale chicken operation for the Shraders---say, maybe 2 dozen hens and 12 or so meat chickens.  They could maybe manage to grow some grain and the critters could help teach/feed the kids----or provide an economic boost to other local farmers if the Shraders bought locally-raised grain and turned it into homestead eggs/meat.  (I know chicken is a pretty acceptable meat overall worldwide, but are there any local "taboos"/customs in that area of Africa, like "don't give eggs to teen girls, because sexually provocative" or "eggs=bad for people with X sickness"?)  But an operation that massive has GOT to be making local market farmers nervous---"how can we compete with this scale? He's got all that startup money coming in from outside!"  Doesn't exactly sound like a way to win the hearts, minds, and souls of the local folks and/or improve standards of living.

1 hour ago, samira_catlover said:

..... But an operation that massive has GOT to be making local market farmers nervous---"how can we compete with this scale? He's got all that startup money coming in from outside!"  Doesn't exactly sound like a way to win the hearts, minds, and souls of the local folks and/or improve standards of living.

This is such an important point.  Especially if there are women with a few chickens to provide meat and eggs; any extra eggs might provide just a bit of extra money.  I doubt if John has thought ahead to what might happen if he floods the market with product.  Yup, it drives down the value and screws up everybody. 

Also, has John reviewed the market situation, does he have a damn business plan?  Eggs will keep a little bit even in the heat, but damn, you've got to move them right out.  I also doubt John would stoop to killing, cleaning and plucking chickens for meat, because John.  And if you're worried about the smell of guano, just imagine what a large pile of chicken innards might smell like after a few days in the sun.  Or a large pile of dead chickens if he really screws up.   The WeatherUnderground  forecast in Kafue looks rather wonderful, though. Highs around 70 degrees with crisp nights. 

Guano has value as an excellent fertilizer.  I don't think chicken innards have a market although I could be wrong.   

Yes, it's a hoot that he has a rep as a nincompoop in the mission community.   Hoping, hoping, hoping that at least one of the local guys involved in this has some background in animal husbandry.  

>> And if you're worried about the smell of guano, just imagine what a large pile of chicken innards might smell like after a few days in the sun.  Guano has value as an excellent fertilizer.  I don't think chicken innards have a market.   <<

But if you dump either or both on the ground and cover with a tarp a la Naugler, that's composting, right? Great fertilizer! *rolls eyes, thinking about waterwell contamination with 600 chickens---can you say "epidemic"? I KNEW you could!*

Do John and Esther have any plans to return home to the states? Or are they in Zambia permanently?

I wonder if John's read this market study of the poultry industry in Zimbabwe (pdf format).  Poultry is a huge business at the corporate level and this gives an overview for those interested in investing in the poultry industry.  One company produces 220,000 day-old chicks PER MONTH.  There is a lot of on-line information if you google "price of day-old chicks in Zambia". 

That said, if he were to start small, get an understanding of poultry husbandry and the local market and learn from his errors, he might be able to achieve a modest level of success.  Would John actually do something that practical?  Well, no.  He's what Debi Pearl would call a Prophet husband.  

As far as I can tell, in 2015 the price of a day-old "village" chick would be about 5 KWZ or USD .50  This could be in error, but I used the average day-old chick prices in major Zambian cities from 2015 (opens as a pdf).  

2 minutes ago, Howl said:

[snip]

That said, if he were to start small, get an understanding of poultry husbandry and the local market and learn from his errors, he might be able to achieve a modest level of success.  Would John actually do something that practical?  Well, no.  He's what Debi Pearl would call a Prophet husband.  

But the church is the bride of Christ. Christ is the only husband in this relationship, and therefore will be in charge of chicken welfare. Any attempt by Brother Shrader to engage in animal husbandry would be in direct opposition to god's natural order, and would result in much smiting.

I'll bet that God is so ready to smite the relentlessly annoying Brother Shrader! 

John Shrader is very much reactive  "monkey see, monkey do," especially when it requires big money that is not his.  He is also grandiose to the max.

See plane!  OMG, buy pile of disintegrating crap and take flying lessons!  See printer, OMG buy giant paper cutter.  See car, OMG need brand new Troupie!

He upped his tract printing when it was obvious that Rea was out-doing him.  I suspect that Rea's bread baking crapola posts got him on this battery hen kick.  John goes big - and his leg-humpers follow.

Both Shrader and Rea are extraordinarily dismissive of Africans.  How the hell did Africa survive without them?

They seem to think that Africans can do nothing without Great White Converting Christian Man helping them along.  They scoop up good ideas, turn them inside out to accommodate Great White Converting Christian Man, and produce - nothing much.  

Has no-one ever baked bread in Zambia before?  Has no-one ever bred chickens?  Look to the women!

And pull the other one, Shrader and Rea.  It has bells on.

Now, me - I'm all for giving a person a rod rather than a fish and I prefer to support seed grants to encourage small businesses for women in Africa.  The results are really quite amazing although there are a few failures.  The women are very determined.

John's (and Rea's) supporters are chucking good money away on supporting vanity projects that will not last or do any good in the long run.  But they don't seem to care about that.

18 hours ago, Petrel said:

Yep I am a midwife so I realise this. But we discuss it with the mother when she comes for her post natal appointment. Not with her husband on the street. 

I am just surprised that's all. Not how I would have done it. But maybe if it was John I would try to shame him. Maybe Esther has mentioned she wants to stop having babies to them. I don't know the backstory. 

Chickens will be a huge disaster. Can't wait!

15 minutes ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Yep I am a midwife so I realise this. But we discuss it with the mother when she comes for her post natal appointment. Not with her husband on the street. 

I am just surprised that's all. Not how I would have done it. But maybe if it was John I would try to shame him. Maybe Esther has mentioned she wants to stop having babies to them. I don't know the backstory. 

Chickens will be a huge disaster. Can't wait!

There is a huge backstory-Couple I was with are Christian Medical Missionaries, have been in Kafue for about 10 yrs. When John boy first appeared he came to them and demanded that they take care of Esther for free, because they are both Christians. Which they could not because he was only there as a visitor not a registered foreign national so he had to paid, which pissed him off. Another example of poor planing = failure. They did connect him with a local mid wife to take care of Esther. Then one of their children became ill and he showed up and demanded medical treatment without waiting, in Zambia like other Africa countries there is no appointment system unless you have the money and status to use the private system. They explained he had to wait plus since his child was not vaccinated they would have to wait in a special room, which he & Esther were not happy about because they brought everyone. Then he started to pass out his flyers to everyone in the other waiting room which is totally against the law. After all of that he keeps inviting them to his church and wants to work in the clinic as a spiritual adviser because they do family planning i.e. insert IDU. Reason he asked that question was to shut him up. According to him he can talk for at least hour on how great his mission is doing unless you ask him about birth control. 

By the way my granddaughter is doing well tomorrow she gets her permanent cast, which she has designed, see how it goes. Thanks for the positive thoughts.

Well that makes sense! 

God what a toad he is! So arrogant. And unvaccinated? Idiots , so he lied about needing money for vaccines then. Not surprised.

glad your granddaughter is doing well :)

Thank you Countessrascal.

Am really intrigued now. Can't wait for part three!

I love that your granddaughter has designed her cast! Hope she continues to get better.

:cocktail: For You.

@countressrascal, thank you for that backstory.  I can snark on John as a hapless nincompoop, but this confirms the extent to which he is an arrogant, asinine jerk. 

I can't imagine they would ever plan to leave Zambia; he has no skills or a trade to support his ever growing family and I can't imagine him acquiring them.  As they say in the South, he's about as useless as tits on a boar hog. 

As for the poor children, I keep thinking about the Monty Python Meaning of Life skit, "Every Sperm is Sacred".  OK, children, it's medical experiments for the lot of you.  This YouTube video is in the context of the need for career counseling:  Love it! 

and for the Nauglers and the Shupes and the Rodrigii and the Duggars and Pris and....

Someone smashed the window of the "Truth Teller"(or whatever he calls it) and also stole the battery. John is looking forward to saving the soul of this person and having them confess that they were the one who took the battery.:roll:

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

Someone smashed the window of the "Truth Teller"(or whatever he calls it) and also stole the battery. John is looking forward to saving the soul of this person and having them confess that they were the one who took the battery.:roll:

Uh oh, better get ready for a round of grifting to replace the window and the battery.  I'd guess he's very lucky the entire Troopie has not been stolen. 

I think it is something of a miracle that the whole "Truth Teller" wasn't nicked months ago but perhaps it is far too easily identifiable.  John has so much expensive stuff.

John also packed Roderick and Handia off with a supply of tracts to proselytize at the funeral of Roderick's uncle.  I have a particularly visceral hatred of this behavior:  "Sorry, mourning family, but the dear departed is BURNING IN HELL FOR ETERNITY.  So let me convert you all to REAL Christianity!" 

It makes me want to vomit.

Passing out tracts at a relative's funeral is just sick and wrong.

John is such an entitled, crap parent and all round terrible human being.

-He hasn't vaccinated his kids, no excuse for that unless they have a medical condition that means they cant be vaccinated. Also its dangerous, they could get all sorts of terrible diseases! He also said he needed money for vaccines for the kids, but seeing as they are unvaccinated it is obvious he was lying. Probably spent the money on himself.

-He insists that he shouldn't have to pay because he is a Christian. Tough shit, he isn't entitled to it for free, therefore he has to pay.

-He brings his wife and all ten of his kids to a medical appointment for one kid, taking up space in the waiting room, when one parent could take the sick kid and the other could stay at home with the others. I bet they took up all the seats and someone who needed it had to stand up.

-He complains that he has to sit in the waiting room for unvaccinated people because his kid isn't vaccinated.  There is rules for a reason, it is to protect babies who are too young to be vaccinated, and people with medical conditions that prevent vaccines being effective on them, from catching a serious illness and dying.

-He wanted priority treatment for his kid, when everyone has to wait. His family is no more deserving of medical treatment than any other person, and if it isn't serious, they can wait in line like the others.

-He is passing out tracts in a clinic waiting room and wanting them to give him a job as spiritual adviser. They do not need a spiritual adviser, it is a clinic, not a church. Especially as what he wants is to shame women from using birth control and convert people to his harmful fundie beliefs.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived