IGNORED

John Shrader Pt 8- Me, me, me missionary

samurai_sarah

16 minutes ago, Gobsmacked said:

That's my huge worry. It is within the realms of Shrader  possibility, that John may go home to speak to leghumpers at daddy's church then conveniently suffer from a sore back, back brace included, not be able to return to Zambia, then rely on leghumpers to fly Esther and children home.

He would have to leave the troopie and posh fridge/ freezer behind, but that would put him in a good light for being so charitable!

I think he would very willingly give up that troopie and fancy appliance in exchange for getting out of there, if he really was hell bent on leaving.  ITA on him coming back to Daddy's church only to have some reason not to go back and put the pressure on leghumpers to fund getting Esther and the kids home.    Daddy has swooped in to save him before by having his church take on John's Totally Misguided Adventures in Zambia mission work, so it seems plausible to me that John might orchestrate his and his family's way home by putting Daddy's church in a position where they have to help. 

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

He wishes he could have lived a century ago because then he wouldn't have to bother paying the people he roped into his chicken folly.

:Kaboomm: shocking and on point! Funny how these people always assume they would be upper class if they lived in the past. Grifting was much harder back then John. There was no FB. 10% of infants died their first year. I can't imagine him living in any conditions other than horrific poverty eating mainly lard if anything. Can you see him working 50-60 hours a week in a factory? 

6 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

I think he would very willingly give up that troopie and fancy appliance in exchange for getting out of there, if he really was hell bent on leaving.  ITA on him coming back to Daddy's church only to have some reason not to go back and put the pressure on leghumpers to fund getting Esther and the kids home.    Daddy has swooped in to save him before by having his church take on John's Totally Misguided Adventures in Zambia mission work, so it seems plausible to me that John might orchestrate his and his family's way home by putting Daddy's church in a position where they have to help. 

People only have so much money to spare. That scenario would end in disaster.

John does seem to be getting a bit bored with the Zambian Adventure. He is spending less and less time at his home and more time wandering about trying to find new and exciting things to do.

I'm guessing the chickens are going to go the way of the Magical Wishing Well and we won't hear much about them after the initial excitement. 

25 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

People only have so much money to spare. That scenario would end in disaster.

I totally see your point here especially when there's bound to be people who not only have limited funds but are pissed off at no accountability for the money they have previously given.  But it would be just like John to expect it anyway and go so far as to push the issue by putting the church in an impossible position, i.e. "you have got to get my wife and kids home, I can't get back there, and they are there all alone!" kind of thing.

7 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

I totally see your point here especially when there's bound to be people who not only have limited funds but are pissed off at no accountability for the money they have previously given.  But it would be just like John to expect it anyway and go so far as to push the issue by putting the church in an impossible position, i.e. "you have got to get my wife and kids home, I can't get back there, and they are there all alone!" kind of thing.

He absolutely would leave Esther and kids behind initially if it meant relying on other folk to pay for their return.

Its all about him. The family are his backdrop and support players.

He knows that there is no way that Daddy's church and contacts would leave them stranded.

This is the man who used his sisters death to his own advantage.

Right now I'm reading Les Miserables, and I've just gotten to the chapter where Marius meets the Thenardiers, who are in the process of writing Spanish Prisoner scam letters to various wealthy people and clergy members in Paris and purposefully destroying their apartment to appear more poor and swindle more money out of naive benefactors. Can we start calling John "John Schradnardier"?

I cant see the chicken thing lasting. John is one of those people who gets big ideas, but then gets bored of them and moves onto the next thing once reality sets in and he realises that success doesn't happen overnight and that his idea means actually working. He reminds me of a friend of mine and her string of failed home business ideas, the reason she does it is possibly due to her having a diagnosed personality disorder though. No idea about John though.

50 minutes ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

I cant see the chicken thing lasting. John is one of those people who gets big ideas, but then gets bored of them and moves onto the next thing once reality sets in and he realises that success doesn't happen overnight and that his idea means actually working. He reminds me of a friend of mine and her string of failed home business ideas, the reason she does it is possibly due to her having a diagnosed personality disorder though. No idea about John though.

This.  Actually the "Deputation," flying lessons, and the missionary thing has held John's attention the longest out of all his wild projects.  Probably because he was always on the move and was never held properly accountable.  John lacks "stickability" for want of a better term.  He starts things and and abandons them as soon as he realizes his grandiose flights of fancy need real work.

Poor Zambia.  It does not need people who can't make it in the US pretending to know how to do things in Africa.

Yet again, I blame Shrader's naive enablers.  And his father - his biggest enabler.

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

John does seem to be getting a bit bored with the Zambian Adventure. He is spending less and less time at his home and more time wandering about trying to find new and exciting things to do.

I'm guessing the chickens are going to go the way of the Magical Wishing Well and we won't hear much about them after the initial excitement. 

But the plane would be repurposed to make a perfect chicken coop.....

Nor will the US Embassy allow Ester and the children to be abandoned.  The Embassy will ship them home....then bill them.  At least that's my understanding.  And my guess is that the Embassy is well aware of Schrader.

Just now, gustava said:

Nor will the US Embassy allow Ester and the children to be abandoned.  The Embassy will ship them home....then bill them.

Major pedantry here: Consulate, not Embassy, but yes.

Does anyone think that the Church of Johnny's Daddy will actually pay the bill?

48 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

If the American consulate paid would Daddy have to pay them back? I know nothing of these things. 

If Daddy did have to repay the money, I would hope that he would use his boot on Johns lazy rear until John found himself paid employment. Mowing lawns, painting houses, Chick-FIL-A.

John could keep his Daddy's congregation entertained with tales of his glorious (Mis) deeds in darkest Africa in return for a roof over the heads of his wife and children.

An interesting question of where as he would say the spirit is leading his heart. He doesn't seem to give any thought to long-term goals. I heard an apt analogy for him today "He is like a dog who is sitting on the porch and a car goes by. Bolting and barking the dog chases down the car, but has no idea what to do once to do once the car stops. The dog looks around bewildered and goes back to the porch to repeat the cycle.

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

That's almost a relief in a way. I picture John leaving them, and not being able to raise the money. Even if people want to give the money, it's a lot of money, and it seems like they keep throwing money his way for something.

8 hours ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

If John doesn't have a personality disorder, I'll eat my hat.

6 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

If the American consulate paid would Daddy have to pay them back? I know nothing of these things. 

If Daddy did have to repay the money, I would hope that he would use his boot on Johns lazy rear until John found himself paid employment. Mowing lawns, painting houses, Chick-FIL-A.

John could keep his Daddy's congregation entertained with tales of his glorious (Mis) deeds in darkest Africa in return for a roof over the heads of his wife and children.

US Consulates are pretty limited as to what they can do for Americans abroad. Even when shit really hits the fan (cf. Yemen, South Sudan, Libya), things have to be REALLY, REALLY bad for them to provide evacuation services (which you might have to pay them back for) to Americans who aren't associated with the diplomatic mission (and long before it gets to that point, they tell family members to leave by commercial means). When my roommate in Shanghai was robbed and assaulted and the police were of zero help, I contacted the Consulate to tell them what had happened after the fact, if only just so they could warn other Americans of the scam my roommate got lured into. Their reply was very nice, but pretty much said "sorry, we pretty much can't do anything for you except give you a list of lawyers who speak English". If someone is destitute overseas, they pretty much want you to exhaust every possible not-them option before they give you a loan. The Consulate really wouldn't be able to do much besides be a point of contact if Esther and the kids were unreachable, or help deliver funds to them.

10 hours ago, ILoveJellybeans said:

He reminds me my former husband (he was atheist but similar personality), with the difference that I wasn't a fundie helpmeet and I divorced.

This kind of people got angry when things don't work like they want, so mariage is hard. Also they are able to get whatever they want of other people, because when they focus energy in an idea, this energy can be very strong. The problem is that they easily leave their projects, they soon got bored, so they are never succesful despite their intelligence. And every problem, always, is someone else's fault.

4 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

That's almost a relief in a way. I picture John leaving them, and not being able to raise the money. Even if people want to give the money, it's a lot of money, and it seems like they keep throwing money his way for something.

Pecan and Anna Duggar would probably raise money to help Esther. They know a lot of people who can give money. Yes, 9(?) flight tickets is a lot of money, but no way they are leaving a woman and 8(?) kids alone in Zambia. 

I was contemplating what John thought would happen when he arrived in Zambia, and yes, it involves magical thinking.  By now he would be pastoring Zambia's first mega church, with thousands of adoring congregants gathered in a gigantic, thatched-roof outdoor church, just to hear him speak.  So rustic.  And easy peasy.  John preaches rousing sermons and more and more people flock to him, walking from far out in the bush, magnetically attracted to him, like a certain itinerant preacher of long ago -- a preacher who's a natural soul winner type of guy (Jesus, not John).  Oh, and John's tracts (the printing ministry, remember?) would be precious and carefully curated in a safe place in little thatched roof huts out in the bush. I could go on, but you get the picture. 

I'm sure he's restless with the sad reality of his mission, which can charitably be described as a dismal failure.  

I'm not surprised he's planning on starting out with 600 chickens, because he's a grandiose, magical thinker. 

Yeah, I'd say it's just a matter of time before he's back in Texas at his father's church in Katy.  Maybe Ester will be up to 12 kids by then.  

1 hour ago, Howl said:

I was contemplating what John thought would happen when he arrived in Zambia, and yes, it involves magical thinking.  By now he would be pastoring Zambia's first mega church, with thousands of adoring congregants gathered in a gigantic, thatched-roof outdoor church, just to hear him speak.  So rustic.  And easy peasy.  (snip)

In my personal opinion I think that's precisely what he expected to happen. I suspect him to have seen himself as the "great white saviour", with some ugly 19th century ideas about Africa, and people living in Africa.

He reminds me of an absolute gem of a guy, I met as an undergrad. Said "gem" informed me that the people of Africa were like children, who couldn't take care of themselves- because they were "primitive", which is why they needed white leadership, preferably his. Well, I was three sheets to the wind and was busy trying not to puke. After he voiced his views, I may or may not have given up on trying to hold it in. He may or may not have had to throw that pair of shoes away.

While I am not willing to travel to Zambia to repeat that feat (which may or may not have happened), puke-shoe-guy is precisely whom John reminds me of. Both seem to have this idea that people are just waiting for them to show up, and tell them what to do, and how to think. It's arrogant and insulting.

P.S.: Who am I kidding? I totally vomited onto that guy's shoes. After the vomit he spewed, I wasn't going to hold mine in. Maybe not the best argument to ever come out of my mouth, but I maintain that it was better than the arsehole, colonialist, racist rubbish that guy puked.

On 28/07/2016 at 4:50 PM, Grimalkin said:

:Kaboomm: shocking and on point! Funny how these people always assume they would be upper class if they lived in the past. Grifting was much harder back then John. There was no FB. 10% of infants died their first year. I can't imagine him living in any conditions other than horrific poverty eating mainly lard if anything. Can you see him working 50-60 hours a week in a factory?

When I was around 10-11, I fantasised about living in Medieval times and so on - but my thoughts were turned right on their head by my history teacher when I was 12, who told my class *exactly* what life would have been like for us had we lived in the Middle Ages.  Mind blown!  I went on to be a history student with a focus on Victorian political history, and the impacts on 'ordinary' people.  So my pet hates include "women didn't used to work" (OMG, servants forever/evidence from my own grandmothers & great-grandmothers/why were laws enacted to limit how children & women worked down coalmines/in factories etc?/Have you even read a book set in "the past"?), people ignoring the bad side of the British Empire/USA slavery, and "I wished I lived in the past" types (you'd have been lucky to make it past childhood, whatever your class, but why do you assume you'd be landed gentry??) 

Ugh.  Makes me so ranty!

I have a history degree, and have more than once had people ask me what time period from the past I'd most like to live in. My go-to answer? Any time after the advent of birth control and antibiotics.

23 hours ago, gustava said:

Nor will the US Embassy allow Ester and the children to be abandoned.  The Embassy will ship them home....then bill them.  At least that's my understanding.  And my guess is that the Embassy is well aware of Schrader.

I sincerely hope so. He entered the country without the correct paper work. 

I am watching a programme about Africa right now. John visited the fantastic Victoria falls. How on earth can he really believe that the earth is only 6000 years old? 

The ignorance of Fundies is astounding. They really are ridiculous. All of them.

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 6:38 PM, Howl said:

But the plane would be repurposed to make a perfect chicken coop.....

...if it could be located...and I'll bet that would house just the number of chickens that survived even a week...

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived