IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 19 and counting

samurai_sarah

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

The girls used to keep track of M's cycle, which I always thought was strange.

The word you are looking for is creepy. 

1 hour ago, nst said:

i was born november 15 - right on time 

when does that make it for me ?

Valentine's baby

Remember when doing conception math that a lot of things are estimates. 40 weeks is average gestation, but that click starts two weeks prior to conception at the last menstrual cycle. And guesses that the women ovulated at the exact average time. But some women ovulate really early or late in the cycle, sperm lasts days inside, so the exact date can be very hard to pin down. 

42 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Valentine's baby

ewww :D I should clarify this just shocks me 

I have no clue why 

3 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I fucking hate you all. I could have spent the rest of my life without realizing I am the result of mom's birthday sex. Seriously, fuck you :pb_lol:

My Mum, both my uncles, and my aunt were born between November 16 and December 23rd - and my grandparents' birthdays are in March and April. My mum always joked that that was the only time of year my grandmother didn't sleep with a knife under her pillow :/

My mum told me quite happily that I was conceived on their summer vacation in Nova Scotia. It never really squicked me out, but then I only thought about the sperm & egg part and not how they managed to meet up!

I have convinced myself that I was delivered by the stork when my parents asked for a baby. And all they do at night is play Monopoly. :my_biggrin:

Seriously though, once I accidentally walked in on my parents and there just isn't enough brain bleach :tw_confounded::eyewash::brainbleach:

11 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

The girls used to keep track of M's cycle, which I always thought was strange.

I found that disturbing.  Talk about lack of boundaries.  My parents had 8 of us (with a couple miscarriages along the way).  I'm pretty sure they found each other desirable and probably had a healthy sex life.  They were very affectionate to each other - but in what I feel is a more appropriate way in front of your kids or other people.  They kissed hello when my dad got home from work and smiled at each other, my dad would give my mom's shoulder a little squeeze sometimes when he walked past her, she would give him a little pat on the back.  As children, we could see they liked each other but we weren't forced to watch my dad dry hump her and they certainly didn't talk about or give innuendos about their sex life.  But that was their private business and personally, I really didn't want to know about it or think about it (even now!).  I'm just glad they were happily married and apparently fairly compatible in that regard.

How weird to track your mother's menstrual cycles so as to know when she might be most fertile.  The whole thing is just so messed up. 

49 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

SNIP

How weird to track your mother's menstrual cycles so as to know when she might be most fertile.  The whole thing is just so messed up. 

I can hear it now coming over the intercom

Listen up, everyone!   Mama is fertile for the next three days so she and Daddy will be going up to bed right after dinner to see if God will bless us with another sibling.   That means they need a good 5 minutes of privacy while we stand outside their bedroom and pray it 'takes'.   

My parents were never affectionate with each other. And I am convinced they stopped having sex a long time ago (there is a chance I am wrong, but I doubt it). But they love each other. They love the house they have built together and they love us and they love the comfort of having a lifelong partner provides. 

I vaguely remember my mom kissing my dad on the cheek when I was VERY young when we went to church. And then I never really saw them touch ever again except when I was in high school. We were in Chicago for my sister's college graduation and Mom and Dad were walking in front of us and the kids all trailed behind, and my dad TOOK MY MOM'S HAND and she looked back at us like  :confused2:

I saw Sherman Alexie speak recently, and he talked about his brain surgery and when he went under he had a dream that his parents were on a hill beckoning him to come with them and he thought "This is it. I am dying. My parents are asking me to come with them to the other side." and then he said "Then I noticed them holding hands, and I knew right then that they definitely weren't my parents and woke up." 

1 hour ago, MoonFace said:

Listen up, everyone!   Mama is fertile for the next three days so she and Daddy will be going up to bed right after dinner to see if God will bless us with another sibling.   That means they need a good 5 minutes of privacy while we stand outside their bedroom and pray it 'takes'.   

:brainbleach:

I did NOT want that image in my head

When we talk about Josh and Anna and the M kids, can we please call them the JAM? Or the Jamsters. Or the Jammy Jam Jams.

Pleeeeeeeease!!!! 

:tw_mrgreen:

2 hours ago, MoonFace said:

:laughing-rollingyellow::laughing-rollingyellow::laughing-rollingyellow:

Ha!  I just love the part about the five minutes of privacy and the image of the Duggar kids holding hands in prayer outside the room.   (That is as far as my imagination takes me.  I am not imagining inside the room.)

Seriously, I thought the girls were tracking the cycles to find out if Michelle  had missed a cycle and might be pregnant.  It is still weird, but more focused on conception/gestation than fertility.

2 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

:laughing-rollingyellow::laughing-rollingyellow::laughing-rollingyellow:

Ha!  I just love the part about the five minutes of privacy and the image of the Duggar kids holding hands in prayer outside the room.   (That is as far as my imagination takes me.  I am not imagining inside the room.)

Seriously, I thought the girls were tracking the cycles to find out if Michelle  had missed a cycle and might be pregnant.  It is still weird, but more focused on conception/gestation than fertility.

hmmmm....... nope.  still creepy.  Your ovulation and conception status are none of your kids business.  You tell them after the pee stick.  No kid needs to know if mom skipped an ovulation or not.  In fact if you're "leaving it up to god" not using bc and you and husband are regularly doing the hey hey hey, plus you know you're fertile, why bother tracking? You'll get pregnant or you won't either way it's god's will.  tracking is usually when you're trying intentionally to conceive or avoid it. otherwise just wait for the missed period or symptoms show up and pee on a stick to see if you're pregnant.

So this made me go and look to find out if women who live together all menstruating at the same time is real or a myth, and while I can't find anything to prove it, I know that in my own experience, this has actually been the case. So it's possible that one or all of the adolescent/teenage/kidult girls were on the same length cycle as Michelle and were only casually "tracking" it - if they all started their period and she didn't...

Can we make "doing the hey hey hey" a post count? Pretty please? I literally almost peed myself when I read it. 

9 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

I fucking hate you all. I could have spent the rest of my life without realizing I am the result of mom's birthday sex. Seriously, fuck you :pb_lol:

Dammit...

Me too.  And my brother (birthdays 3 days apart).

Should I text him? :pb_lol:

P.S. Being born in the 70's a lot of my friends were power-cut children......... just FYI ;) 

1 hour ago, quiverofdoubt said:

hmmmm....... nope.  still creepy.  Your ovulation and conception status are none of your kids business.  You tell them after the pee stick.  No kid needs to know if mom skipped an ovulation or not.  In fact if you're "leaving it up to god" not using bc and you and husband are regularly doing the hey hey hey, plus you know you're fertile, why bother tracking? You'll get pregnant or you won't either way it's god's will.  tracking is usually when you're trying intentionally to conceive or avoid it. otherwise just wait for the missed period or symptoms show up and pee on a stick to see if you're pregnant.

Oh, I agree.  But the Duggars aren't normal people.  I think for the older J-girls it may have been a way to maintain a personal connection with the increasingly distant Michelle. (If all Mom wants to think and talk about is the next pregnancy, let's stay informed.)

And I really don't think the tracking was about fertility.  As you say, we know the "hey hey hey" is going on all the time, so figuring out the most fertile days was probably not an issue.

As I understand it, there was some sort of calendar where Michelle marked her periods that the girls had access to.   (I don't think it was a record of her basal temperature or anything like that which would definitely indicate concern with fertility. But maybe I am wrong.) 

There are reasons besides fertility to track cycles.  A friend of mine tracks because she has heavy periods that come on strong very quickly.  She wanted to know when to expect her "friend" so as to have the right supplies with her and not wear white.  I know that when planning a vacation, I often checked my calendar to  know when I would be feeling my best.

In any case, I agree that involving your daughters in tracking your menstrual cycle is weird. It may have started innocently (with Michelle showing them her calendar when their periods started to encourage them to keep their own records, for example), but it does suggest way too much enmeshment. (I wonder if she tracks her daughters' cycles also.)

A thought-- maybe Michelle had terrible PMS that turned her into a hysterical maniac and the girls were really tracking her cycle to know when to run and hide.  :wink-kitty:

I stopped watching 19KAC prior to Joshgate--just too boring**

Can someone direct me to the episode with the "hey, hey, hey" seeing is believing and all that.

**admittedly it hasn't gotten any more interesting!

I understand tracking cycles. I've been tracking my own with an app sense around 16/17 simply so I know what to expect & when. it's been very helpful info to have at doctors appointments & was especially helpful info when I found out I was pregnant. Now do I share that info? No. Not even with my husband, and especially not ever with my daughter. Sorry but that's a little weird. 

17 minutes ago, Mothership said:

I stopped watching 19KAC prior to Joshgate--just too boring**

Can someone direct me to the episode with the "hey, hey, hey" seeing is believing and all that.

**admittedly it hasn't gotten any more interesting!

I only heard about 19KAC during the time of Jessa's wedding, but didn't watch anything till Counting On....and I'm already bored with the Duggars. Hopefully, *if* theres another season, it won't air until 2017. Giving people (including leghumpers) plenty of time to let the family fade out of memory

5 minutes ago, 19Kittens said:

I understand tracking cycles. I've been tracking my own with an app sense around 16/17 simply so I know what to expect & when. it's been very helpful info to have at doctors appointments & was especially helpful info when I found out I was pregnant. Now do I share that info? No. Not even with my husband, and especially not ever with my daughter. Sorry but that's a little weird. 

I track my cycle on an app as well.  Marking down when you're cycles happen is one thing, taking ovulation tests and basal temperatures to figure out your exact ovulation days is different.  Tracking generally can tell you an estimation of your ovulation (2 weeks post period onset), but since women ovulate during different times of their cycle some like to figure out the exact ovulation dates.  But for michelle I just don't see the purpose, if jb is as randy as he talks, and they refuse birth control it probably doesn't matter the exact dates.

Also michelle's system is probably a bit wonky.  For what, two decades, she was either pregnant or breast feeding.  she probably had some periods in between those, but probably not enough to figure out an exact pattern.  She hasn't been pregnant in what, 7 years? or so. So maybe that's when all this shared period calendar happened. But if she's going through menopause or perimenopause her cycles might be screwy again. I know what's how it was for my mom anyway. You can track, but not predict.

• FundieFarmer locked and unpinned this topic

Archived