IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozenty!!11!- Part 19 and counting

samurai_sarah

38 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I track my cycle on an app as well.  Marking down when you're cycles happen is one thing, taking ovulation tests and basal temperatures to figure out your exact ovulation days is different.  Tracking generally can tell you an estimation of your ovulation (2 weeks post period onset), but since women ovulate during different times of their cycle some like to figure out the exact ovulation dates.  

Before I had my kids, I read about how you could take your basal temp to know the day of ovulation.  Just an FYI, I found that once or twice a year ovulation can be way off of what you expect.  Anyway, the book also said you could track the state of mucus and feel the opening of the cervix.  Think Michelle's daughters were in on that too?  Ewww!!  Where's that brain bleach icon??

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Snarkylark said:

Tracking is sort of necessary so that EDD can be predicted. 

tracking your period, yes.  Tracking your ovulation symptoms and taking ovulation tests  not so much.  Your LMP is what doctor's use because it's more accurate.    Ultrasounds are fairly accurate on that too, and if someone doesn't know their LMP an u/s can help predict edd.  Sometimes ultrasounds show baby is different enough from stated lmp that the doctors change the edd.  

8 hours ago, just...sare said:

My Mum, both my uncles, and my aunt were born between November 16 and December 23rd - and my grandparents' birthdays are in March and April. My mum always joked that that was the only time of year my grandmother didn't sleep with a knife under her pillow :/

My mum told me quite happily that I was conceived on their summer vacation in Nova Scotia. It never really squicked me out, but then I only thought about the sperm & egg part and not how they managed to meet up!

My mum always told me I was a Valentine's conception, but since my birthday is December 31st I highly doubt that. My brother is 30 days after mine but I refuse to do the math on it :tw_expressionless:

1 hour ago, quiverofdoubt said:

tracking your period, yes.  Tracking your ovulation symptoms and taking ovulation tests  not so much.  Your LMP is what doctor's use because it's more accurate.    Ultrasounds are fairly accurate on that too, and if someone doesn't know their LMP an u/s can help predict edd.  Sometimes ultrasounds show baby is different enough from stated lmp that the doctors change the edd.  

Correct. I don't remember if the girls mentioned whether they were tracking Me'chelle's periods or ovulation. I really don't want to know! I'm not trying to conceive anymore but I still track my cycle. That way I know if it is regular or when there might be a problem or when I might be approaching peri-menopause. I never had an u/s to date my pregnancies. 

2 hours ago, Alachantal said:

My mum always told me I was a Valentine's conception, but since my birthday is December 31st I highly doubt that. My brother is 30 days after mine but I refuse to do the math on it :tw_expressionless:

You are an April fools day conception. There, I did your math for you.

9 minutes ago, foreign fundie said:

You are an April fools day conception. There, I did your math for you.

I'm not sure how I feel about that lol. But thank you. :pb_razz:

8 hours ago, MoonFace said:

I can hear it now coming over the intercom

Listen up, everyone!   Mama is fertile for the next three days so she and Daddy will be going up to bed right after dinner to see if God will bless us with another sibling.   That means they need a good 5 minutes of privacy while we stand outside their bedroom and pray it 'takes'.   

I think you greatly overestimate Jim Boob here.

I was conceived after a NYE party, or so my mom tells me. And family friends have kids conceived after the same people's party, different years.  I just want to know what the he'll they were serving at these parties!

13 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I track my cycle on an app as well.  Marking down when you're cycles happen is one thing, taking ovulation tests and basal temperatures to figure out your exact ovulation days is different.  Tracking generally can tell you an estimation of your ovulation (2 weeks post period onset), but since women ovulate during different times of their cycle some like to figure out the exact ovulation dates.  But for michelle I just don't see the purpose, if jb is as randy as he talks, and they refuse birth control it probably doesn't matter the exact dates.

Also michelle's system is probably a bit wonky.  For what, two decades, she was either pregnant or breast feeding.  she probably had some periods in between those, but probably not enough to figure out an exact pattern.  She hasn't been pregnant in what, 7 years? or so. So maybe that's when all this shared period calendar happened. But if she's going through menopause or perimenopause her cycles might be screwy again. I know what's how it was for my mom anyway. You can track, but not predict.

I don't know when it was exactly, but it was way before she was done having kids.  The voice-over and/or Michelle said they did it in hopes of finding out if she was expecting again.

13 hours ago, Alachantal said:

That must have been one heck of a Valentine's celebration, if it continued through March!

1 hour ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I don't know when it was exactly, but it was way before she was done having kids.  The voice-over and/or Michelle said they did it in hopes of finding out if she was expecting again.

Yeah, they were doing the calendar thing before they were in TTH. The older girls were involved in the tracking too, which is really gross. 

44 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Yeah, they were doing the calendar thing before they were in TTH. The older girls were involved in the tracking too, which is really gross. 

maybe it was a fun weird insane game the parents wanted the kids to do 

why I have no idea- because it's just weird and gross 

because if they did it before the TTH there must have been a valid reason 

we will never ever know truly why the girls thought it was good to do this 

and the fact they didn't know it was disgusting shows how the cult is so prevalent in their lives 

This is an enmeshed family. Basically, all the girls are Michelle, and all the boys are Jim Bob.

In that light, it's not so weird that the girl's track Michelle; in their eyes they're tracking the female part of the equation.

And for that matter, it's even understandable that Josh crossed the boundaries he did...

It doesn't make it any less wrong though.

I think I remember seeing an old clip of  them on the Today show announcing one of their pregnancies, this was a long time ago. 

They mentioned the fertility chart the girls kept. Michelle said that the girls "Watch it like a hawk,". Everyone smiled and chuckled at this, even the hosts, which really squicked me out.  Yeah, that's normal...

http://www.today.com/id/24537885/ns/today-today_news/t/fuller-house-arkansas-mom-pregnant-th-child/

I just watched the clip.  That is the first time I have ever seen Michelle's hair tied back.  I wonder if she did that or if the hair and makeup people from Today did that.  I guess it is more accurate to say it was tied to the side.  

I can't believe that Today put on the air that the kids had to schedule time with Mom and that largely, the viewing public, at that time, didn't immediately think that was highly abnormal.  Who would ever think it is normal, or even healthy to have to schedule time for a 1 on 1 with your mom.  

1 hour ago, Jucifer said:

I think I remember seeing an old clip of  them on the Today show announcing one of their pregnancies, this was a long time ago. 

They mentioned the fertility chart the girls kept. Michelle said that the girls "Watch it like a hawk,". Everyone smiled and chuckled at this, even the hosts, which really squicked me out.  Yeah, that's normal...

http://www.today.com/id/24537885/ns/today-today_news/t/fuller-house-arkansas-mom-pregnant-th-child/

Thanks for the link.  The clip won't show on my ipad, but the text report is interesting indeed. Three things struck me:

1. Josh's reaction is less than enthusiastic. You get the feeling that he is less enthused about the idea of another sibling than the others are reported to be.

2. It is not identified (in the text part, at least) as a "fertility chart" but a "calendar"-- and given the context (that Michelle took a pregnancy test and "surprised" the family with the news on national TV) it would seem that what they are doing is checking to see if Michelle is "late" and therefore pregnant.  They are not tracking her fertility, they are tracking her periods.   Or rather, they are watching the calendar where she tracks her period.  It is still weird, but perhaps understandable since pregnancy is such a big thing. (A lot of mothers, daughters, sisters and close friends will talk about their cycles and when they expect their periods. This calendar watching is in roughly the same thing...just a bit more specific.)

3. I knew the story of how they blamed the pill for the "Caleb" miscarriage, but it had not registered until now that this first miscarriage was of an unplanned pregnancy.  

"After Joshua was born in 1988, they returned to birth control but wound up getting pregnant anyway. Unfortunately, she suffered a miscarriage, which the couple attributed to use of the pill." (Consodine, Today, 5/9/2009.)

It is really amazing that guilt over losing an unplanned pregnancy is what started this craziness. (JB and M were clearly going to be weird anywat, but if it hadn't been for that miscarriage, maybe they wouldn't have been Quiverful, or would have joined the Quiverful movement later.

2 hours ago, Jucifer said:

Jeez, the level of leghumping going on in that video made me a bit nauseous. Oh yes, they are just the most wonderful, happy family in the world. As long as you ignore all the gigantic bright red flags.

18 minutes ago, EmCatlyn said:

3. I knew the story of how they blamed the pill for the "Caleb" miscarriage, but it had not registered until now that this first miscarriage was of an unplanned pregnancy.  

"After Joshua was born in 1988, they returned to birth control but wound up getting pregnant anyway. Unfortunately, she suffered a miscarriage, which the couple attributed to use of the pill." (Consodine, Today, 5/9/2009.)

It is really amazing that guilt over losing an unplanned pregnancy is what started this craziness. (JB and M were clearly going to be weird anywat, but if it hadn't been for that miscarriage, maybe they wouldn't have been Quiverful, or would have joined the Quiverful movement later.

Maybe I'm weird, but I would think that miscarrying an unplanned pregnancy would be a sign that that baby wasn't meant to be. Not that I was being punished for taking birth control.

I know it's a complicated time, but I can't help think that I would feel at least a bit relieved if the pregnancy was unplanned.

Maybe she was relieved and she just felt so guilty about it, and it just spiraled out of control.

26 minutes ago, sophie10130 said:

Maybe I'm weird, but I would think that miscarrying an unplanned pregnancy would be a sign that that baby wasn't meant to be. Not that I was being punished for taking birth control.

I know it's a complicated time, but I can't help think that I would feel at least a bit relieved if the pregnancy was unplanned.

Maybe she was relieved and she just felt so guilty about it, and it just spiraled out of control.

I think we have alrready established that it is the Duggars who are weird.  :wink-kitty:

That being said, "unplanned" doesn't mean "unwanted."  My brother and I were both unplanned, but we were very much wanted.   . 

My best guess about Michelle is that she had been hearing that BC was wrong. When she got pregnant in spite of BC, she may have felt that this was the all-powerful God's will. Then she started looking forward to the baby, and when she lost it, she was devastated. She sought help from the pastor who interpreted the sequence of events as punishment for trying to control her fertility.  As I said, the Duggars are . . . Weird.  :wink-kitty:

On 5/13/2016 at 5:41 AM, Fundie Bunny said:

I fucking hate you all. I could have spent the rest of my life without realizing I am the result of mom's birthday sex. Seriously, fuck you :pb_lol:

So am I. Not a good feeling. :pb_lol:

ETA: This website even tells you what song was number one that week. In case, you know, that's what you're parents were doing it to.

http://www.whenwasiconceived.com/

I cannot fathom having to track my mother's or my sister's cycles. That's way TMI!

3 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

So am I. Not a good feeling. :pb_lol:

ETA: This website even tells you what song was number one that week. In case, you know, that's what you're parents were doing it to.

http://www.whenwasiconceived.com/

Ha! Like my parents pay attention to such things.

50 minutes ago, roddma said:

I know this is  few weeks old, but it speaks volumes on the downsides of putitng kids on public display.http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2016/04/the-duggars-the-dionnes-and-child-exploitation.html

That's so disgusting and awful! I knew a little bit about the Dionne quints but I didn't realize how bad it was.

17 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Ha! Like my parents pay attention to such things.

That's so disgusting and awful! I knew a little bit about the Dionne quints but I didn't realize how bad it was.

The odds of twins or surviving then were quite low, let alone quints. So I guess it was amazing.   But I can't imagine ppl coming from all over the world to see me like they would a circus attraction.

• FundieFarmer locked and unpinned this topic

Archived