IGNORED

Priss and Pecan: Texas Gleanin' - Part 2

Boogalou

Whoever dressed Johannah needs to be sent back to 1987.  FFS the flower girl dresses from Jill's wedding were modest yet weren't in another decade (granted Jill was single then).  I was a flower girl around then and I think I had a similar dress.  

I forgot Howlers were in this wedding too.  My take on flower girls/ring bearers is that if you're too young to walk, you're too young to be in a wedding party.  

I didn't mind the bridesmaids dresses.  Say what you want to about the Kellers, but they (and the church ladies) can put on a classy wedding.  This (and Josh/Anna) was much classier than Jill or Jessa's wedding (and I thought their bridesmaids' dresses were the worst-- Jill's was a casual summer dress with hideous alterations and Jessa's was your typical office attire).  (Note, I have something similar to Jill's unaltered bridesmaid dress.  It's a nice dress, just not wedding).  

Priscilla had a nice dress.  Yes it was a t-shirt dress, but it was naturally modest without hideous alterations.

Is the preacher who spoke about the transfer of authority the same guy that married Josh and Anna (I know it was the same church)?  Is that the Kellers' church?  Just how crazy is it?

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only made it part way through the wedding video.  Granted I started it after 50 minutes of Jill Rodriques babbling on in a women's bible study which may have affected my tolerance (I obviously needed more metal cellos before taking this one on).  

The bibles with the flowers - oh my.  Awkward to stand through a ceremony in that stance.  Sheesh.  

What is with these people and the hauling every baby in the family down the aisle in a wagon?  

Josh - everyone else has their jacket buttoned.  you did not.  yes, I noticed.  

they had serious microphone issues - which meant I only had to listen to half the BS, but I have to admit I stopped shortly after Gothard started and skipped ahead. Wow, why did Davey have to hold his own service???? And his singing voice is awful!!!!!!

But Priscilla looked truly happy. That is the nice thing I have to say about this - I don't even have a word for it

On 5/9/2016 at 2:27 PM, Buzzard said:

I must have missed it.  I didnt see it discussed with the usual interest around here!

You've seen one little pecan, you've seen them all.

6 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I don't think Erin is playing the piano, but whoever is clearly has a vendetta against the Steinway company and is whaling on that piano like it wandered off its blanket.

:laughing-rolling: That was awesome! 

TFDW is likely emotionally abusive. Based on what I have seen and read, I am sure Priscilla gets a lot of "gentle" correction. A LOT. I mean, he wants her to become someone she isn't - confident, a good public speaker, an ambassador for the brand. However her education at SOTDRT was not sufficient for her to have the confidence necessary to do those things.

As mentioned, I think TFDW married her because she could get him on TV. He wants his own show because of ego - I truly believe he thinks that no one can promote the brand better than he can.

I feel sorry for Priss. I've been in an emotionally abusive relationship. I know how damaging it is to hear nothing but criticism all the time, especially when it comes from someone who supposedly loves you and is telling you this "for your own good". I can't imagine what will happen if she has a hard time loosing the baby weight.

I don't have children myself, however most of my friends reproduce like rabbits, and most have 3+ kids and they all said that as they aged (re - 28+) OR when they had baby #3 (if they were under 28) it became harder and harder to lose the pregnancy weight. I feel from Priss when this happens. We've all seen the blame and guilt laid on Anna for Joshley's scandals. I can picture David telling her she's getting fat and if she wants to keep him from being defrauded by other women, she needs to keep a Godly, slim figure.

I was fat. My ex never made me feel bad about my body explicitly, but he would offer all kinds of "advice" on how to lose weight, that usually left me feeling fat and ashamed. I hated that. I truly hope Priss doesn't go through this, but something tells me she already is. 

TFDW couldn't be any worse of a party planner than Sierra.

Personally, I don't think we can say with any certainty whether or not David Waller is emotionally abusive or not. It is very difficult to say anything definitive about a situation like that with only snippets of the Wallers' lives available to the public. By that I do not mean to discredit anyone's experience, I mean to say that it's extremely difficult and speculative to make that call, based on the little information that we have.

16 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Personally, I don't think we can say with any certainty whether or not David Waller is emotionally abusive or not. It is very difficult to say anything definitive about a situation like that with only snippets of the Wallers' lives available to the public. By that I do not mean to discredit anyone's experience, I mean to say that it's extremely difficult and speculative to make that call, based on the little information that we have.

I understand what you're saying, however from where I sit, you are dead wrong, the way TFDW speaks to and about Priss is the exact same way my ex talks about me. He even takes credit for the weight I've lost. TFDW takes a lot of credit for the things Priss does now, and talks about her and her efforts to please him.

That, right there is an emotionally abusive relationship with a messed up power dynamic. 

Jim Bob and Michelle's relationship is emotionally abusive. So is Josh and Anna's. I believe this to be the norm in Gothardite marriages, not because the men are intentially abusive, but because it is what Gothardism teaches in terms of patriarchy and headship. 

Any time you have a system that teaches that men are superior to women, the relationships in that system will be unequal and will result in abuse of some kind, and in most cases, I can see the emotional manipulation and abuse a mile away. 

I remember watching that wedding at the time.  No way could I watch it all the way through again!  I still cringe at the memory of David leading the congregation in a hymn and conducting!  How he didn't manage to smack poor Priscilla in the face amazed me.  I found it even more amazing that she managed not to duck away from his conducting hand.

Meh, I think they both looked very happy.  David took cute little peeps at Priscilla during the first prayer that were quite touching.  He then thoroughly enjoyed being the star of his own production.  Priscilla looked quite blissed out.  Goodness knows what the marriage is like but Priscilla loves her children.

Also note Esther and John Shrader and Rebekah and Josh McD in the wedding party, and look out for Anna's fervent nods and "Please, Gods" during the prayer for fertility - or whatever they call it.  I think Josh dips Anna and plants a kiss on her as they process out after the service.  Attention hound.

This wedding was lavish compared to Josh and Anna's.  Anna borrowed Rebekah's wedding dress and I think her bouquet came from Michael's.  Priscilla's flowers look real.

1 minute ago, devoe364 said:

I understand what you're saying, however from where I sit, you are dead wrong, the way TFDW speaks to and about Priss is the exact same way my ex talks about me. He even takes credit for the weight I've lost. TFDW takes a lot of credit for the things Priss does now, and talks about her and her efforts to please him.

That, right there is an emotionally abusive relationship with a messed up power dynamic. 

Jim Bob and Michelle's relationship is emotionally abusive. So is Josh and Anna's. I believe this to be the norm in Gothardite marriages, not because the men are intentially abusive, but because it is what Gothardism teaches in terms of patriarchy and headship. 

Any time you have a system that teaches that men are superior to women, the relationships in that system will be unequal and will result in abuse of some kind, and in most cases, I can see the emotional manipulation and abuse a mile away. 

The bolded, I personally agree with. I am not discrediting your experiences. What I am saying is that it's difficult to make a call as an outsider, with limited information. I understand that you see warning signs, and believe that we all should be aware of those, but considering how little we know about what is actually going on, I am hesitant to make that call.

2 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

The bolded, I personally agree with. I am not discrediting your experiences. What I am saying is that it's difficult to make a call as an outsider, with limited information. I understand that you see warning signs, and believe that we all should be aware of those, but considering how little we know about what is actually going on, I am hesitant to make that call.

I understand what you are saying and I don't think you are discrediting my experiences. I just think you're wrong, based on my experiences and what we know about Gothardism. :) 

Do I think TFDW does this intentionally? Not at all. He is trying to make Priss better, so she can be the perfect, Godly wife.

Based on what she was taught, this is her headships role - to help her improve and tell her what to do and what not to do. 

That creates a dynamic where emotional abuse (which takes on many shapes) is all but garaunteed to happen. 

2 minutes ago, devoe364 said:

I understand what you are saying and I don't think you are discrediting my experiences. I just think you're wrong, based on my experiences and what we know about Gothardism. :) 

Do I think TFDW does this intentionally? Not at all. He is trying to make Priss better, so she can be the perfect, Godly wife.

Based on what she was taught, this is her headships role - to help her improve and tell her what to do and what not to do. 

That creates a dynamic where emotional abuse (which takes on many shapes) is all but garaunteed to happen. 

I fully agree with you that Gothardism is abusive, and also agree that David Waller may not be abusive intentionally.

Has this video been talked about? I skimmed back around Valentine's Day and didn't see it. If so, I apologize.

This is a post of the video and discussion was around that time.

http://www.freejinger.org/topic/25138-pecan-and-priss-moving-to-texas/?page=12#comment-1128305

Priscilla can clearly speak her wedding vow, no awkward stumbling over words.  Do we know if the speech "problem" (I don't know what else to call it) existed before David?

10 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

David promises to be an example of Jesus. Well, if Jesus was a kind of effeminate and creepily controlling douchebag who posts weird rambly blog posts about his adventures with his fembot wife, he's doing a bang-up job.

I must have missed the part of the Gospels where Jesus traveled around Judea, camping outside various Chik-fil-a's.  

On 5/9/2016 at 0:01 PM, Buzzard said:

This was posted on instagram last night.  I'm thinking bun #3 is on the way.

cilprego.jpg

In the lime shirt in the lower right, Is that whatever Duggarling has been most recently been banished to Big Sandy?

So I have to say that I am disappointed for the handslap I received for not posting a longer compliment to nastyhobitses for her excellent recap.  I was called away before being able to effuse more and for that I got dinged.  I'm not a newbie and am aware of the rules and try not to post just quotes without anything to add but was cut short of time and needed to leave.  So let me use this space to rhapsodize on the satire in that recap and express my extreme appreciation for her taking one for the team and posting that.  I've never made it more than 15 minutes in before skipping to the end.  In the future I will try to jot off a few more words of compliment or complaint before hitting submit. 

6 minutes ago, JMO said:

So I have to say that I am disappointed for the handslap I received for not posting a longer compliment to nastyhobitses for her excellent recap.  I was called away before being able to effuse more and for that I got dinged.  I'm not a newbie and am aware of the rules and try not to post just quotes without anything to add but was cut short of time and needed to leave.  So let me use this space to rhapsodize on the satire in that recap and express my extreme appreciation for her taking one for the team and posting that.  I've never made it more than 15 minutes in before skipping to the end.  In the future I will try to jot off a few more words of compliment or complaint before hitting submit. 

THis was recently discussed ad nauseum here:

If you'd like to complain about 0 point warnings and rules enforcement, please, go to that discussion, read the whole thread, make an effort to understand why the rules are what they are and are enforced as they are, and then, on that rules-discussion thread, have at.

6 hours ago, clueliss said:

<snip> 

What is with these people and the hauling every baby in the family down the aisle in a wagon?  

<snip>

They have to make sure that they parade the fruits of their blessed wombs in everyone's face at every opportunity, and to make sure the bride knows where her proper place is and what her proper (only) duty is.

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

This is a post of the video and discussion was around that time.

http://www.freejinger.org/topic/25138-pecan-and-priss-moving-to-texas/?page=12#comment-1128305

Oops. Sorry about that. :embarrassed: I'll go check that out. Thank you so much for the link.

17 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

@19 cats and countingI feel for Prissy and their 2.5 kids. I still think TFDW would make an amazing Fundie pageant dad for Dah-vee-yah and any other female blessings they might have. "Now Davia, put your hands in the air, SMILE, and say 'MODEST IS HOTTEST'! Yayyyyy!"

(Toddlers and Tiaras was a guilty pleasure of mine).  There was one fabulous dad on the show (married to a Russian? wife) who was more into pageants than his daughter.

In another world, I can totally see TFDW as a pageant dad. 

There was also another Toddlers and Tiarars type show (I think Little Miss Perfect) where the pageant director was this creepy gay guy who sang to the little girls at every pageant.  Yeah I can easily see TFDW in that role.

7 hours ago, HereticHick said:

In the lime shirt in the lower right, Is that whatever Duggarling has been most recently been banished to Big Sandy?

Hmm, doesn't look like a Duggar to me on close inspection but I certainly could be wrong. Why are both those girls in matching outfits though?

2 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

(Toddlers and Tiaras was a guilty pleasure of mine).  There was one fabulous dad on the show (married to a Russian? wife) who was more into pageants than his daughter.

In another world, I can totally see TFDW as a pageant dad. 

There was also another Toddlers and Tiarars type show (I think Little Miss Perfect) where the pageant director was this creepy gay guy who sang to the little girls at every pageant.  Yeah I can easily see TFDW in that role.

Almost all kiddie pageants have an "em-cee", a guy who is typically gayer than Johnny Weir who does the on-stage introductions and croons to the contestants. That would be TFDW! Only it would have to be a "modest" pageant, where the talent includes singing Christian music, and the interview portion would be a devotional. And the grand prize would be an MRS degree from Crown College. 

I just finished watching the wedding that would not end. I fully sympathized with Susanna and the guy behind her, so many yawns and disinterested looks.  Gothard totally creeped me out, I don't see how anyone would trust a word that came out of that man's mouth. *shudder*

On a lighter note, did anyone else picture Josh and TFDW singing to each other instead of their respective brides during the serenade? 

On 5/10/2016 at 5:47 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

@Exjw2015deed if you have time and want to fall down a rabbit hole, their entire wedding ceremony is on Youtube (includes Gothard speaking).  

When I looked it up on youtube, there is also a musical performance of Erin, Alyssa, and Tori Bates at the wedding.   (It was a separate video) 

I believe this (very edited) wedding was featured on 19 Kids.  The wedding party included Josh, Anna, Jana, a Lost Girl (Johannah or Jennifer) and the oldest 2 M kids (Marcus and Meredith weren't born).   WTF fundie families had a ball with the episode.

Yes, this wedding was on 19 Kids. Not in its entirety, but there are some hilarious moments that made the show but not the wedding video. The episode was titled "Duggars Down the Aisle" and is totally worth the $1.99 I paid Google. 

First off, they talk about how awesome David Waller is. The J'Slaves gush over "David Waller" (not David or Dave, always "David Waller") and what a Godly man he is. Then they make it down to Florida, where TFDW is telling anyone who will listen about how people from five continents have been invited to this world-shaking event. Note the banner on the wall of the gym/fellowship hall - it has big ass photos of Prissy and TFDW, in case the guests can't remember who the bride and groom are. 

The day before the wedding they do a rehearsal and of course Anna is all upset because Pris scheduled the wedding time to occur during Mac's nap time. Because the world revolves around Anna. So Mac is throwing a hissy fit while TFDW and Prissy practice their roles on the altar. David's voice is beyond creepy as he explains exactly what he is going to do to Prissy the next day. 

The magical day of the Royal couple rolls around, and TFDW is leaping out of his glittery tap shoes in excitement. Why? He tells the camera that this will be the first time he gets to see Prissy in her white dress! Yes, he says that. The Duggar kids are playing their violins for the pre ceremony music. Seriously, why do the Duggars need to be involved in everything?  Mac is still Pitching a fit, so one of the J'Slaves has to carry the kid down the aisle. Michelle says it's so sweet and such a wonderful testimony to see the "girls" (bridesmaids) carrying Bibles. 

The wedding occurs, we are spared the singing and Gothard. The couple is finally married, Rose petals fall from the ceiling while they kiss. They walk out of the sanctuary into the lobby, and the camera gets right in the couple's faces, which is where TFDW announces to the viewers "This is the first time I got to kiss a woman. On the lips!!!". Yes, it is even creepier than it sounds

Like I said, more than worth the $1.99.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived