IGNORED

Priss and Pecan: Texas Gleanin' - Part 2

Boogalou

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

To make a wedding less expensive, you also don't have to invite 1000 guests.  I think to get that many guests, I'd have to invite every person I ever knew.

To be fair to fundies, weddings in their circles are not adults only (not in a dirty sense) affairs.  Inviting a couple means inviting their dozen kids as well.  If you wanted to invite JB and Michelle, you would have to add 19 kids, plus Anna +4, Derick +1 Ben +1.  30 guests with one family (granted some of them are very young children).  (To invite Gil and Kelly Bates would require 19 plus an additional 7-9 depending on whether courting couples count).  JB and Michelle (Gil and Kelly, etc) wouldn't see a wedding invitation as a child-free event.

According to The Knot, the average wedding is 136 guests.  For fundies, that's less than 10 families.  THat is not counting extended family of the couple (grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, etc).  To just invite the Duggar and Bates family, that is half of a guest list of the average wedding.  

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Grace said:

I can't help it....I actually think that's kind of funny. No permanent damage. They could always run by Target or something to grab a fresh pair if they're horrified by day 2 undies.

Oh, I agree, it was funny. She laughed about it later. I think it was just frustrating to her that hubby trusted his juvenile friends. Of course, thirty years later, those friends are still juvenile!

13 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

In other news, I reduced the quote!!! 

Woo hoo!!! Good for you :-)

• 2 weeks later...

New post on the blog! They are moved in and guess what? GOD provided so many things for the house for free (read: we are awesome at grifting!!!!). And workers were free, too, Prissy's brothers stayed for two months and helped rebuild the house!

His posts sound so condescending, it makes me nauseous! I hope Prissy did not overdue it with the complete house-clean and move in!

Sounds like they got quite a deal on a refrigerator...which was followed by a photo of a washer and dryer. :pb_lol:

The marriage retreat place has been on the Duggar's show - bet Josh and Anna were there too.

Was hoping for a jender reveal, but there was no mention of the pregnancy at all.

The kids are adorable.

Their latest blog led me to a video I hadn't seen.  Passing out tracts at the St. Paddy's Day parade in Chicago 2 years ago.  For those who haven't seen it, they hate Catholics as much as Ben Seewald, and they use their child as insurance to prevent folks from telling them to shove their tracts up their ass.  :clap:  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV3HpfFZwNA#t=64

"Paul never ceases to amaze us at his abilities with bats, rackets and balls."

Chip off the old block. Imagine a three year old boy who has been taught from day one that BOYS play sports, actually enjoying sports equipment and playing games. 

When I saw the Kellogs corn flakes all I could do was wonder if they know the history behind those.

I love that Susanna still wears pants. Good for her. :pantsonfire:

Our getaway car wasn't trashed, but there was a huge gift basket full of adult things and a gift card to the best restaurant in the town we were going to in the backseat. We both thought it was hilarious.

Weddings are only expensive if you don't have other people and TLC to pay for it. Oh, and refuse to feed your guests a meal. Or buy favors. Or... anything.

The grammar and syntax of the new post is stunningly poor! Probably Prissy (Priscilla, not David) at the keyboard. SOTDRT strikes again. 

We have a family tradition of helping with the reception dinner.   Most young couples are on a tight budget and everyone is willing to help.  A lot of us have large 18 quart roasters, large crock pots, trays and drink dispensers.  My contributions are the loan of a 100 cup coffee pot I got at a garage sale for $5. 00 that has held punch, ice tea and coffee.  I also have both a 5 gallon and 3 gallon Rubbermaid cooler/drink dispenser.  Rather than have drinks in cans or an open bar, the coolers have been filled with pre-mixed drinks, alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages.  

Each relative like cousins or aunts and uncles will brings an 18 quart roaster with hot dish like a vegetable, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes,  the family recipe of mac and cheese made with colby jack cheese and Campbells Tomato soup,  sauerkraut and sausage, meatballs and more.  Or you volunteer to bring a couple of desserts, pie, cake, cookies,or rolls and butter, condiments, vegetable tray or a big green salad.  The young couple  buy the meat,  and will  pick up turkeys after Thanksgiving or hams on special around Christmas or Easter if the date of the wedding is known far enough in advance and someone else will volunteer to cook then and then bring the meat ready to serve.   No one is offended to be asked and most everyone volunteers before being asked.   One young couple had an outdoor picnic with hot dogs, hamburgers and all the picnic fixings.   Usually the couple puts together a master list and we all either have a known specialty or we just call and ask what's on the list and pick one we can do.  

Also, I don't think the fire extinguisher is a horrible gift, that's my go to gift, and I've have a lot of people tell me they love the idea.   (Unless there is some other snarky meaning that I am not aware of  One of the strangest thank you notes I ever got said "We hope we never have to use your gift, but if we do, then we will be very happy you gave it to us.  Good ones that cover paper/wood, flammable liquids, electrical and chemical fires aren't cheap.  Another good gift is a combination fire/carbon monoxide detector.  So many of today's couples are combining households and have most of what they need and most people don't ever thinks about needing a fire extinguisher.  

7 hours ago, Mela99 said:

Weddings are only expensive if you don't have other people and TLC to pay for it. Oh, and refuse to feed your guests a meal. Or buy favors. Or... anything.

Yeah, I never got the reason why they literally couldn't even make sandwhiches for the reception. The Bates at least made chicken salad sandwhiches and dip for after Chad and Erin were LTF (Legalized to f...)

2 hours ago, Lady Grass Lake said:

Also, I don't think the fire extinguisher is a horrible gift, that's my go to gift, and I've have a lot of people tell me they love the idea.   (Unless there is some other snarky meaning that I am not aware of

They gave her the fire extinguisher while making a big deal out of the fact that she wasn't a good cook, thereby implying that she'll burn the kitchen down while cooking. Might be true but it isn't very nice.

I missed that part about being a bad cook somehow, then that was definitely a slam.  

I'm dying on the David and Priscilla Waller Fan Page on Facebook. Last year they posted a congratulatory post to Josh and Anna when Israel was born. I commented that civilizations on other planets probably knew about the birth, thanks to the Duggar PR machine. I got some push-back, including a comment from a woman who said "every baby should be celebrated, because so many don't even get to be born." I had missed this gem and when reminiscing over the old posts last night, saw it and responded to her comment that it was pro-fetus propaganda. She had a hissy fit, and even the page administrator explained to her that my comment wasn't directed at the page, it was directed at her. So this is her response: 

"There's something wrong with my "pro-fetus" propoganda?!? How can that be?"

I simply told her that not everyone believes as she does and that there is nothing wrong with that. I'll be surprised if she doesn't have a massive coronary when she someday learns that not every religious group believes in Jesus. Incidentally the admin of the page liked my comment about not agreeing with her beliefs. Crazy stuff! 

26 minutes ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

I'm dying on the David and Priscilla Waller Fan Page on Facebook. Last year they posted a congratulatory post to Josh and Anna when Israel was born. I commented that civilizations on other planets probably knew about the birth, thanks to the Duggar PR machine. I got some push-back, including a comment from a woman who said "every baby should be celebrated, because so many don't even get to be born." I had missed this gem and when reminiscing over the old posts last night, saw it and responded to her comment that it was pro-fetus propaganda. She had a hissy fit, and even the page administrator explained to her that my comment wasn't directed at the page, it was directed at her. So this is her response: 

"There's something wrong with my "pro-fetus" propoganda?!? How can that be?"

I simply told her that not everyone believes as she does and that there is nothing wrong with that. I'll be surprised if she doesn't have a massive coronary when she someday learns that not every religious group believes in Jesus. Incidentally the admin of the page liked my comment about not agreeing with her beliefs. Crazy stuff! 

I love to antognize these people sometimes. Lol my favorite is when they ask "What would happen if you had been aborted?"

I snicker and say, "Uh duh I wouldn't exist and therfore never be missed." 

Also, the page admin was on yourside?! Dang, your winning!:dramallama-nanner:

On 5/29/2016 at 9:24 PM, hollyandivy said:

New post on the blog! They are moved in and guess what? GOD provided so many things for the house for free (read: we are awesome at grifting!!!!). And workers were free, too, Prissy's brothers stayed for two months and helped rebuild the house!

His posts sound so condescending, it makes me nauseous! I hope Prissy did not overdue it with the complete house-clean and move in!

They got appliances at a Memorial Day sale at Lowes or Home Depot, but they made it sound like they got the deal because they were Christian.

I highly doubt a big-box store would give a discount based on religion.  

Also I noticed that Suze traveled back to Texas with them after the funeral.  I wonder about her thoughts on TFDW.

I'm finally reading that last post.  Wow!  The whole thing is pretty impressive, but I had to stop at this line: "The shower and surround were given to us by a man who Priscilla’s dad led to the Lord in Florida."  The Lord was touring and stopped by Florida?   

Suze looks great!  I'm right there with you, @19 cats and counting, what does she think about TFDW?  

Is Fort Rock Family Camp the same place JB took the girls on one episode?  It looks familiar. 

23 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

Suze looks great!  I'm right there with you, @19 cats and counting, what does she think about TFDW?  

Is Fort Rock Family Camp the same place JB took the girls on one episode?  It looks familiar. 

My guess is that Suze thinks he's hilarious, but is still - by far - her favorite male in-law.  Don't think she'd travel with Joshley.

Almost positive that Fort Rock is the same place JB took the girls.

TFDW seems like he'd be very obnoxious to people who are not IBLP (or other fundie sects with similar beliefs).  I feel that he's the type that tries to convert everyone he talks to (cashiers, etc).  And I'm sure he tips servers with the fake $10 bill tract.

Given Suze's history and how she left the lifestyle, I honestly wonder what the two of them think about each other.

(I could definitely not do a drive from FL to TX with the Waller family-- I'd fly or rent a car first).  Only music is hymns, two small children (who may or may not travel well).  No thanks.

Well the photo of Paul & Davia in front of the flower bed is sweet.

22 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

My guess is that Suze thinks he's hilarious, but is still - by far - her favorite male in-law.  Don't think she'd travel with Joshley.

Almost positive that Fort Rock is the same place JB took the girls.

I doubt she'd travel anywhere near John Schrader unless it was to bust Esther out of there.

2 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

TFDW seems like he'd be very obnoxious to people who are not IBLP (or other fundie sects with similar beliefs).  I feel that he's the type that tries to convert everyone he talks to (cashiers, etc).  And I'm sure he tips servers with the fake $10 bill tract.

Given Suze's history and how she left the lifestyle, I honestly wonder what the two of them think about each other.

(I could definitely not do a drive from FL to TX with the Waller family-- I'd fly or rent a car first).  Only music is hymns, two small children (who may or may not travel well).  No thanks.

... You mean you wouldn't want to glean some pecans?!

22 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I doubt she'd travel anywhere near John Schrader unless it was to bust Esther out of there.

... You mean you wouldn't want to glean some pecans?!

Ugh, oh gods brings up horrid memories of riding with this Uber evangelical for an hour an a half. Only choices were Christian pop or hymns. I HATED myself for not packing headphones.

On Wednesday, June 01, 2016 at 8:25 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

I agree with your reasons for not road-tripping with the Wallers, but I'd like to add that I imagine TFDW swerving quite a bit while driving since I'm sure he has to check himself out in the mirror constantly. I think that would make for a sickening trip.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived